Archived Topic

Heaps and others are Practicing More

by Cougarbib · 11/12/2010

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
At the risk of getting aksed what inside contacts I have or being told that I am speaking out of my Ewete again, I point to the article - over in the little box to the right - BYU football: Heaps, receivers getting in sync.



It repeats what I have heard from broadcasters, coach and player quotes, newspaper writers, everywhere I look - but somethign that just seems impossible for a few people over here to hear. Let me summarize and I will keep it short for those who are attention span challenged.



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700080841/BYU-football-Heaps-receivers-getting-in-sync.html?s_cid=rss-28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



PROVO — For the first time all season, BYU quarterback Jake Heaps and his receivers were in sync last Saturday against UNLV.



Heaps improved leaps and bounds last Saturday in accuracy, timing, touch, and location of his passes.



Heaps has stepped it up and is working harder, now, in practice!



I don't make this stuff up. It is out there for anyone not in denial to READ.



Go Cougs
B
Brayden Green
Cougarbib2 wrote:
At the risk of getting aksed what inside contacts I have or being told that I am speaking out of my Ewete again, I point to the article - over in the little box to the right - BYU football: Heaps, receivers getting in sync.



It repeats what I have heard from broadcasters, coach and player quotes, newspaper writers, everywhere I look - but somethign that just seems impossible for a few people over here to hear. Let me summarize and I will keep it short for those who are attention span challenged.



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700080841/BYU-football-Heaps-receivers-getting-in-sync.html?s_cid=rss-28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



PROVO — For the first time all season, BYU quarterback Jake Heaps and his receivers were in sync last Saturday against UNLV.



Heaps improved leaps and bounds last Saturday in accuracy, timing, touch, and location of his passes.



Heaps has stepped it up and is working harder, now, in practice!



I don't make this stuff up. It is out there for anyone not in denial to READ.



Go Cougs




Hey goomba, Heaps has been staying after practice since before the season started. I even hear that he snuck in at night a few times too. If you are using this as evidence to say he is finally working as hard as he should, you are wrong.
J
jonnylingo
I don't get this? I have read articles all year about heaps staying late after practice to throw with receivers. Why is there is any reason to think that he is now working even harder? Is it because there is now yet an additional article pointing out that same fact again? Its not a new thing that he is staying late and practicing extra.



I have read that article you are referring and many others over the past few months that essentially say the same thing.
S
SpiffCoug
I found this quote by BJ Peterson to be interesting.
"The drops have been the focus of people on the outside. It's really been about getting healthy," he said. "Luke and Cody have both had ankle injuries. They've been hobbling around. Saturday was the first time I really saw Luke running his routes like crazy and coming out of the breaks. He looked like the Luke of old. Really, our offense started to look like we did in fall camp, which was awesome. We haven't been able to do that. I don't know if that's because of injuries, but the drops aren't really something we're looking at."


Yeah, I can't imagine why drops have been the focus of people on the outside. It's not like the WRs have been dropping TD passes. Oh wait. The offense wasn't that awesome in fall camp and drops were a very common theme back then as well.



Am I reading that last sentence wrong that they haven't be concerned about the drops? Drops should have been a focus of the position group because they've been a problem. They've stalled drives, cost points and ruined the confidence of the offense.



I'm glad to see that we're healthy, and maybe that really was the problem. But I think the receivers are finally focusing on catching the ball. And, ironically, that focus seems to have improved since they all met with Bronco and he called them out by position group and by name.
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougarbib2 wrote:
At the risk of getting aksed what inside contacts I have or being told that I am speaking out of my Ewete again, I point to the article - over in the little box to the right - BYU football: Heaps, receivers getting in sync.



It repeats what I have heard from broadcasters, coach and player quotes, newspaper writers, everywhere I look - but somethign that just seems impossible for a few people over here to hear. Let me summarize and I will keep it short for those who are attention span challenged.



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700080841/BYU-football-Heaps-receivers-getting-in-sync.html?s_cid=rss-28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



PROVO — For the first time all season, BYU quarterback Jake Heaps and his receivers were in sync last Saturday against UNLV.



Heaps improved leaps and bounds last Saturday in accuracy, timing, touch, and location of his passes.



Heaps has stepped it up and is working harder, now, in practice!



I don't make this stuff up. It is out there for anyone not in denial to READ.



Go Cougs


Eureka! You found the golden nugget as to why this offense has struggled so bad this year. Congratulations--NOT.

You might want to quote some of your sources, because your current "theory" still has enough holes to sink the Titanic. Aside from your hoped for proof laid on the inaccuracy that all of a sudden Jake is just barely starting to work "after practice"; there are other problems with this theory. We may excuse Cody and Ashworthmore, (glad they are better--it showed). BUt what about all the other drops and poor/weak routes by the other WR and TE's so far this season? Oh wait, its because JAKE WASNT WORKING HARD. Genius in action folks.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Now that we have you all gathered



If any of you do not think Heaps throws were more conistently THROWN where they were supposed to be thrown, when they were supposed to be thrown, in the specific location they were supposed to be thrown, with the velocity and touch they were supposed to be thrown with during the full course of the game - please step up and say so.



Now that we have gotten you that far, are there any of you that think that passes that are thrown more consistently as outlined above are not more likley to be caught? Say so, or hold you peace.



Now that we have gotten you that far, are there any of you that think a defense that has to worry about passes being thrown more accuratley will be less able to cheat off the pass and focus on stopping the run thus in respecting such balance - having to defend both - making each more productive?



Now that we have gotten you that far, are there any of you that have not heard Bronco say the key to getting the offense going was to improve the passsing game and acheive balance in the offense? Speak up or go home.



I don't see how anyone can argue about those points.



Now, we can debagte for the next 4 years as to why Heaps was throwing consistently with more accuracy



Stupid Anae smartened up?

Lazy, slow, worthless receivers and tight ends and RBs - every single one of them - suddenly tried harder

Heaps improvement made them all look better - and his improvement was due to experience gained, an extra week of practice to work on his fundamentals, and even more work after practice than he has done before to synch up with his receivers?

Bye Week

Crappy UNLV?

???

???

Plenty to argue about there if you want to argue.



If I was a true freshman trying to pick up and carry the mantle of this team and be a LEADER, I would step up and clear the air and say pardon my inexperience, but through the patience and diligence of my coaches and teammates and my hard work, I am learning and making progress and getting better which is ultimately helping the team in many ways.



If he carries himself with the above "my teammates and coaches suck and I am great - just waiting for them to step up" attitude - he will never lead this team. Fortunately for Heaps, I think he is much more accountable that his apoligist fans, and will be just fine as he continues to improve.



Scotty Johnson over on KSL also posted a nice read "Finally". He credited OL protection giving the deep plays time to develop for the improvement in the long passing game. Do you think the OL might be able to protect better when the defense has to worry about the run and the pass? Do you think when they realized, heck this guy can throw, they had to hold off sending the kitchen sink so the kitchen sink could cover one of our slow, white, worthless, brick-handed receivers?
C
Cougarbib
BTW - Heaps is not the only player working harder. Reports out of camp, the last two weeks and again this week, have the entire offense working harder.
C
Cougs_Rule
You missed the point of your missed point (HInt: title of your thread) because you are so hell-bent on blaming Heaps. Same song, different week, different outcome to the game. its not even worth spelling out.

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
A
AJP
Wait, let me get this straight. The article says "Heaps has been staying after practice to put in additional time with his receivers" and somehow this equates to Heaps working harder in practice? after practice =/= during practice
C
Cougs_Rule
AJP, dont bother.
Advertisement
M
Mars
dmcougar wrote:
Eureka! You found the golden nugget as to why this offense has struggled so bad this year. Congratulations--NOT. You might want to quote some of your sources, because your current "theory" still has enough holes to sink the Titanic. Aside from your hoped for proof laid on the inaccuracy that all of a sudden Jake is just barely starting to work "after practice"; there are other problems with this theory. We may excuse Cody and Ashworthmore, (glad they are better--it showed). BUt what about all the other drops and poor/weak routes by the other WR and TE's so far this season? Oh wait, its because JAKE WASNT WORKING HARD. Genius in action folks.

Jake is working hard is practice now. Hmmm... that must mean that Jake has never worked hard in practice before in his life! (if you can read)



Genius!! :lol: :lol: :roll: :sick: :utard:
C
Cougarbib
AJP wrote:
Wait, let me get this straight. The article says "Heaps has been staying after practice to put in additional time with his receivers" and somehow this equates to Heaps working harder in practice? after practice =/= during practice


I will fix the title for you



Practicing Harder if that helps you get over the semantics. In my book - when you are throwing to receivers, you are practicing - thus during practice. Practice happens formally and informally. Sometimes players gather on their own. Sometimes they hang around after others leave. And sometimes the coaches are funning it formally. It is all practice. FIlm room is practice. Studying the playbook is practice. Looking at film of yourself or of the opponent is practice.



Practice makes Perfect.



But DM - WHY, in your opinion - assuming you agree that Heaps did - was Heaps throwing more accurately Saturday. WHY? If you just don't know, idk will suffice. If you just don't want to admit - well then argue semantics.
I
Italics
bib - the main difference I saw on offense against UNLV was that receivers were catching the balls that hit them in the hands. Heaps definitely played better, but the receivers showed greater improvement (it made Heaps look good, but really it was the receivers who were showing greater effort and improvement).



Someone really needs to go back, mark down each dropped pass by a receiver - and figure out how many possible catches and yards it ends up amounting to. Our receivers catch the ball and Heaps looks like he did against UNLV nearly every game this season. It's that simple.
U
urroner
Cougarbib2 wrote:
...being told that I am speaking out of my Ewete again...


Excuse me, but since when did you want to degrade a part of your body, even if it's your anus, to a Ewete. Bib dude, self mutilation just isn't worth it. You'll end up looking like me. :sick: :sick:
U
urroner
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Practice makes Perfect.


While on my mission in Mexico, I struggled with my Spanish for some time. I practice it every day. I was having so much trouble with it, my mission president put me with a non-English speaking companion on my second month, so it was either sink or swim.



An interesting thing happened on my fouth month down in Mexico, one day I woke up and I realized I had my first dream in Spanish and realized that I had turned the corner. After that, my Spanish became really good. By a year, I talked like a native.



It wasn't a matter of practicing harder nor was it a matter of practicing smarter, it was just a matter of just practicing.
Advertisement
R
rblack
urroner wrote:
AJP wrote:
Practice makes Perfect.




I realized I had my first dream in Spanish .

I'm sorry to hear about your dream in Spanish. I hate it when I can't understand my dreams. :D
S
snoscythe
rblack wrote:
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Practice makes Perfect.




I realized I had my first dream in Spanish .

I'm sorry to hear about your dream in Spanish. I hate it when I can't understand my dreams. :D


Yeah, like that recurring one that everyone has with Ruth Ginsburg and Sir Mix-Alot in it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
R
redneckjedi
snoscythe wrote:
urroner wrote:
AJP wrote:
Practice makes Perfect.




I realized I had my first dream in Spanish .

I'm sorry to hear about your dream in Spanish. I hate it when I can't understand my dreams. :D


Yeah, like that recurring one that everyone has with Ruth Ginsburg and Sir Mix-Alot in it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


:bug:



Wow. Never thought I'd hear those two names mentioned in the same sentence.
A
AJP
redneckjedi wrote:
rblack wrote:
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Practice makes Perfect.




I realized I had my first dream in Spanish .

I'm sorry to hear about your dream in Spanish. I hate it when I can't understand my dreams. :D


Yeah, like that recurring one that everyone has with Ruth Ginsburg and Sir Mix-Alot in it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


:bug:



Wow. Never thought I'd hear those two names mentioned in the same sentence.

So apparently I pushed the thread off-topic, even if urroner quoted something I never said :)
N
northerncougar
dmcougar wrote:
You missed the point of your missed point (HInt: title of your thread) because you are so hell-bent on blaming Heaps. Same song, different week, different outcome to the game. its not even worth spelling out.

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.


Yeah, CougarBib2 has hated Heaps since the beginning of the season. Even though the rest of us can see that Heaps, the WR, the OLine were all better on Saturday, he is the only one that is smart enough to see that it was all somehow, completely Heaps fault.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.