Archived Topic

Independence - Another reason

by BYULV · 11/11/2010

Advertisement
B
BYULV
I can't stand the fact that we can't watch the men's opening night basketball game on Friday. The Mtn has women's bball scheduled. As we have since the inception of the mtn, the powers that be wouldn't think about letting byutv broadcast the game. I'll be listening to KSL online I guess. We can't get away from the mwc quick enough.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Amen. It's a tragedy that Jimmer's last season will only be seen by a handful of chosen people in this world. Please tell me someone will be streaming the CBS-C and Mtn games this year!
L
Lawboy
The MWC has serious promotion issues. When you have a ranked team, you do everything you can to get them on TV and to promote them and your league. Except the MWC, which is basically incompetent at promoting itself. It's biggest games are back shelf, and the people running things are to dumb to see an opportunity to get a great game on, with a ranked team, and a player nationally respected. MWC= EPIC FAIL.
E
EM_Puma
I wondered if BYU wasn't part to blame for this situation as it seems strange to me that the mtn wouldn't want to broadcast the opening game that always brings a few more TVs and especially since BYU is playing one of the MWC's new darlings--Fresno State. I'm wondering if BYU passed on televising this game (if that is even an option) to try to sell the game out totally for PR sake as the $5/$1 tickets aren't going to bring in that many dollars to the bank account, but does reflect well on the team.



I don't know the real answer.
G
Gunk
EM_Puma wrote:
I wondered if BYU wasn't part to blame for this situation as it seems strange to me that the mtn wouldn't want to broadcast the opening game that always brings a few more TVs and especially since BYU is playing one of the MWC's new darlings--Fresno State. I'm wondering if BYU passed on televising this game (if that is even an option) to try to sell the game out totally for PR sake as the $5/$1 tickets aren't going to bring in that many dollars to the bank account, but does reflect well on the team.



I don't know the real answer.


TV schedules are usually set well in advance. I agree it doesn't make much sense for The Mtn to not televise this game; however, the ladies game that's being televised may have been on the schedule before the Fresno/BYU game became a bigger deal.



I don't see the logic in BYU passing on the game being televised. If anything, BYU prefers to do whatever necessary to ensure as many people as possible watch their games, which is an underlining factor for independence. Don't forget sports at BYU are viewed as a missionary tool, so again another reason to televise the game.



It's either foul play by The Mtn or politics between the The Mtn and other schools' sports programs. It would look bad for The Mtn. if they suddenly dropped the women's SDSu vs. UCLA (big school) basketball game for the BYU vs. Fresno men's game.
Advertisement
Y
YBrit
Lawboy wrote:
The MWC has serious promotion issues. When you have a ranked team, you do everything you can to get them on TV and to promote them and your league. Except the MWC, which is basically incompetent at promoting itself. It's biggest games are back shelf, and the people running things are to dumb to see an opportunity to get a great game on, with a ranked team, and a player nationally respected. MWC= EPIC FAIL.




I've been saying this since Winter 2007, the mwc/mtn does not have self promotion issues. They have issues promoting BYU. People have called me out that I'm making up a conspiricy theory, but fans are finally catching up to where my thoughts were 3 years ago. They PURPOSEFULLY choose NOT to show BYU games to censure our fans and footprint from expanding and outgrowing them (even though they already had outgrown the entire conference from day 1). BYU is leaving because they constantly elect to put up women's sports over BYU, and hide the best and ranked BYU teams on purpose. Independence proves I was right.



Another thing, 3 years ago when BYU beat TCU the mtn cap showed women's soccer, air force boxing, a garbage football game with bottom feeders, and then briefly mentioned BYU beat tcu.When Greg Wrubell pointed that out I think people started to realize the wanks they truly are in the mwc/mtn.





I will be listening and searching for illegal live feeds online. I can't wait to watch HD BYUtv for free in Texas. I'll just remind the enemies (mwc/mtn/hair) BYU will be soley making millions.
B
billbillbillbill
I know it is a power struggle and the MTN has made the decision that if they are not going to show the game, no one is. It make no sense to not relinquish the rights to BYU to broadcast the game. Especially since the Cougars are leaving the conference so what loss is it to them to allow the school to broadcast their game. I could see if a channel like FSN or KJazz wanted to pay for it but a non profit channel. I can't wait for this madness to end!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.