Archived Topic

Best Used Car?

by BroncoBot · 11/10/2010

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
So I inherited an 88 volvo 240 wagon over a year ago. I was skeptical about it when I first got it, but the thing has seen me through thick and thin. I had to replace the back brakes/rotors, changed the oil, fixed the odometer and adjusted the Ebrake. That's it, and the car was VERY easy to work on. I did all the work myself, and I'm no mechanic.



I drove it across the country and back last summer with no problems except the exhaust system came undone in indianapolis (weld broke). Anyway, I have no doubt that it is going to last another 154K miles. It runs and drives surprisingly smooth for its age. I have so much trust in it that I sold my other car (Honda Fit) and we are now a one car family. My family jokes about how much I love that car now. Volvo for life! Cash for Clunkers could have offered 8000$ and I would have just drove on by. This is no clunker.



I also drove an 1989 Honda Accord while at BYU (the car was 16 years old at that time.) That was another good car.



Just wondering if anyone else has had good experiences with older/used cars. As my wife and I will be looking for another one here soon. I'd love to get another OLDER Volvo (people seem to be practically giving them away) but am open to other suggestions.
S
Schmoe
My Toyota 4runner isn't as old as your Volvo, but it has a lot more miles per year (1999 and 165k+ miles) and still purrs like a kitten. Love it!
S
snoscythe
I bought a new Toyota Camry in 1996 as my first car--LE trim, but a standard transmission. I drove that car to death doing the usual high-school/college road trips. The only major work it ever needed was a clutch replacement at 140K, and then at 200K it needed a new dist cap and ignition harness. At about 220K, it developed a small oil leak, but it wasn't dripping on anything so I just added a quart every 1K and it was fine.



It finally died on me back in May--in school I got too busy and forgot to top off the oil/change it regularly, and driving it for a month and a half with no oil was a death blow. When we sold it it had just under 290K on the odometer.



As far as news cars go, that one was the best investment I could have made--$16K, lasted 14 years and 290K.
M
Mars


I had a Nissan that was great, and a Ford that was terrible. Everything else has been in-between.
G
Guest
Mars wrote:


I had a Nissan that was great, and a Ford that was terrible. Everything else has been in-between.


Sadly our Nissan Altima awesome until 140,000 miles. Now it absolutely sucks.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
I've owned a Nissan, Honda, and Toyota. I'd say that Honda and Toyota are pretty comparable, and Nissan is just a step below them.
T
tmoney35
Okay, time break up the Japanese love going on here. To me, Hondas and Toyotas are boring, soulless, joyless machines.



declocoug, congrats on your 240 wagon, I think those are sweet cars. Another Swedish company you might to look into is Saab. I own an '03 myself, but they made some cool cars back in the 80's and 90's.
B
BroncoBot
tmoney35 wrote:
Okay, time break up the Japanese love going on here. To me, Hondas and Toyotas are boring, soulless, joyless machines.



declocoug, congrats on your 240 wagon, I think those are sweet cars. Another Swedish company you might to look into is Saab. I own an '03 myself, but they made some cool cars back in the 80's and 90's.

Sadly, I've heard that the "newer" Volvo's (post 94-95) aren't the same as the ones built in the 80s and early 90s. Which is alright because no one is looking at 20 year old cars and I can snatch up the good ones cheap.



Gotta agree with you tmoney, I thought the japanese made the best used cars available. But for the price of a mid 90s Accord, I could buy 2 or 3 Volvos. Again, I'm not complaining, and obviously Honda/toyota etc. have a good reputation. I would get another Accord in a heartbeat if the price was right.
A
ABYUFAN
Might I suggest a 1971 Plymouth? That way when the black helicopter folks set off their EMP you'll still be able to drive something back to Independence Missouri, whilst those saps with the cars with electronic ignitions will have to walk... ;)
S
Schmoe
tmoney35 wrote:
Okay, time break up the Japanese love going on here. To me, Hondas and Toyotas are boring, soulless, joyless machines.



declocoug, congrats on your 240 wagon, I think those are sweet cars. Another Swedish company you might to look into is Saab. I own an '03 myself, but they made some cool cars back in the 80's and 90's.


I should mention that my other vehicle is an '87 Chevy Silverado, and I love it. I don't think there's a better simple engine than the Chevy 350.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Schmoe wrote:
Okay, time break up the Japanese love going on here. To me, Hondas and Toyotas are boring, soulless, joyless machines.



declocoug, congrats on your 240 wagon, I think those are sweet cars. Another Swedish company you might to look into is Saab. I own an '03 myself, but they made some cool cars back in the 80's and 90's.


I should mention that my other vehicle is an '87 Chevy Silverado, and I love it. I don't think there's a better simple engine than the Chevy 350.

Ha, funny you should mention this, in high school I drove my family's 86 Silverado. What a workhorse. It lasted over 200K miles. I drove it HARD and it just wouldn't die. Only got about 8-10 MPG though. Definitely a great car.
S
Schmoe
declocoug wrote:
tmoney35 wrote:
Okay, time break up the Japanese love going on here. To me, Hondas and Toyotas are boring, soulless, joyless machines.



declocoug, congrats on your 240 wagon, I think those are sweet cars. Another Swedish company you might to look into is Saab. I own an '03 myself, but they made some cool cars back in the 80's and 90's.


I should mention that my other vehicle is an '87 Chevy Silverado, and I love it. I don't think there's a better simple engine than the Chevy 350.

Ha, funny you should mention this, in high school I drove my family's 86 Silverado. What a workhorse. It lasted over 200K miles. I drove it HARD and it just wouldn't die. Only got about 8-10 MPG though. Definitely a great car.


Mine does a little better than that MPG wise, but I think that '87 was when they switched to the throttle body injection instead of the carburetor, which would probably explain it (especially if you had some monster 4-barrel deal).
B
BroncoBot
It def. had a carburetor with a pretty good 4-barrel. I also had the air filter top flipped to let more air in (that was mostly just for the awesome sound it made).
C
CougarClaw
obviously we're measuring different qualities, but I recently bought a used car that I think is the best:





http://www.kenrockwell.com/cars/nissan/350z/images/DSC_5986.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



but you got me on the replace your own e-brake thing. I doubt I could do that. :D
S
Schmoe
I knew a snail who bought a 350-Z because he wanted to go fast. But he had them replace the "Z" with and "S." Now every time I see him flying by I say "Look at that S car go!"
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
Schmoe wrote:
I knew a snail who bought a 350-Z because he wanted to go fast. But he had them replace the "Z" with and "S." Now every time I see him flying by I say "Look at that S car go!"


Had to read it twice , but I got it eventually. Best, worst and only 350 z joke I've ever heard !



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.