Archived Topic

Get out you tinfoil hats

by Mars · 11/9/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


*If both Oregon and Auburn go undefeated, what's the likelihood that one of TCU or Boise State still makes the BCS title game?



*If Auburn loses to Alabama in the final game of the regular season, but then wins the SEC championship game, will they still end the season #2 in the final BCS standings?



*Will Stanford finish the season 11-1, with their only loss to #1 Oregon, and get left out of the BCS bowls?



*What's the chance that the BCS only takes the non-BCS team they legally have to, and the other doesn't even make a BCS bowl game (could we see an undefeated TCU in the Las Vegas bowl)?



*Could the final Big XII title game be Oklahoma State-Missouri, missing all 3 pre-season top 10 teams (Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma)?



*Would anyone in their right mind truly want to see an LSU-Pitt Sugar bowl?



*Is anyone totally stoked for a Virginia Tech-Wisconsin Orange bowl?



*What's the chance BYU finishes this season 8-5?



*What bowl game is BYU most likely to play in?



*What's the chance BYU finishes this season 5-7?
C
craigoscarson
Could the final Big XII title game be Oklahoma State-Missouri, missing all 3 pre-season top 10 teams (Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma)?





No, Nebraska has the tie breaker over Missouri... had Iowa State finished off Nebraska saturday then we'd be talkin
A
ABYUFAN
I still think that it's stupid that TCU has passed BSU in the polls... BSU beat TCU within the past 11 months, and has brought back nearly everybody. That said, I'd LOVE to see TCU and BSU in the championship game, because I think BSU would win. Unfortunately I see BSU being shut out of the BCS again this year.



BTW anyone remember last year when everyone was saying that TCU was the better team because they played a tougher schedule? How'd that work out for them then? :roll:
S
Schmoe
ABYUFAN wrote:
I still think that it's stupid that TCU has passed BSU in the polls... BSU beat TCU within the past 11 months, and has brought back nearly everybody. That said, I'd LOVE to see TCU and BSU in the championship game, because I think BSU would win. Unfortunately I see BSU being shut out of the BCS again this year.



BTW anyone remember last year when everyone was saying that TCU was the better team because they played a tougher schedule? How'd that work out for them then? :roll:


You can't consider previous seasons when doing the rankings for THIS season, that's part of the reason we're in this big BCS mess to begin with. BSU started with a higher ranking because they returned most starters, but TCU's performance and SOS has put them ahead of the Drunk Donkeys. If you look at the computers, one of which actually factors in last year, TCU is WAY ahead of BSU.
C
CougarClaw
Schmoe wrote:
I still think that it's stupid that TCU has passed BSU in the polls... BSU beat TCU within the past 11 months, and has brought back nearly everybody. That said, I'd LOVE to see TCU and BSU in the championship game, because I think BSU would win. Unfortunately I see BSU being shut out of the BCS again this year.



BTW anyone remember last year when everyone was saying that TCU was the better team because they played a tougher schedule? How'd that work out for them then? :roll:


You can't consider previous seasons when doing the rankings for THIS season, that's part of the reason we're in this big BCS mess to begin with. BSU started with a higher ranking because they returned most starters, but TCU's performance and SOS has put them ahead of the Drunk Donkeys. If you look at the computers, one of which actually factors in last year, TCU is WAY ahead of BSU.


BSU beat TCU last year, you're right. I still think TCU wins that game 8 times in 10 tries and were certainly blinded by the big stage Boise has thrived in. I just don't see it* happening two years in a row.





*disclaimer: any and all Boise opinions shared by CougarClaw will likely be shaded by blinding hatred for annoying fans and fierce jealousy for doing what BYU was supposed to do.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Schmoe wrote:
I still think that it's stupid that TCU has passed BSU in the polls... BSU beat TCU within the past 11 months, and has brought back nearly everybody. That said, I'd LOVE to see TCU and BSU in the championship game, because I think BSU would win. Unfortunately I see BSU being shut out of the BCS again this year.



BTW anyone remember last year when everyone was saying that TCU was the better team because they played a tougher schedule? How'd that work out for them then? :roll:


You can't consider previous seasons when doing the rankings for THIS season, that's part of the reason we're in this big BCS mess to begin with. BSU started with a higher ranking because they returned most starters, but TCU's performance and SOS has put them ahead of the Drunk Donkeys. If you look at the computers, one of which actually factors in last year, TCU is WAY ahead of BSU.


Yet BSU is still the better team.....
A
AJP
ABYUFAN wrote:
Yet BSU is still the better team.....


I hadn't realized that Boise State apparently actually beat TCU THIS season...
A
ABYUFAN
AJP wrote:
Yet BSU is still the better team.....


I hadn't realized that Boise State apparently actually beat TCU THIS season...

Nope, it was last season. But everbody who jumps on the "it was last season - it doesn't count" bandwagon is forever banned from using the "we creamed Washington first game of the next season" argument for why we were better than them in 1984
P
ProV1
Mars wrote:

*If both Oregon and Auburn go undefeated, what's the likelihood that one of TCU or Boise State still makes the BCS title game? 0%



*If Auburn loses to Alabama in the final game of the regular season, but then wins the SEC championship game, will they still end the season #2 in the final BCS standings? Yes, it's rigged



*Will Stanford finish the season 11-1, with their only loss to #1 Oregon, and get left out of the BCS bowls? Easily, and Harbaugh bolts to the Cowboys



*What's the chance that the BCS only takes the non-BCS team they legally have to, and the other doesn't even make a BCS bowl game (could we see an undefeated TCU in the Las Vegas bowl)? they will bend every rule possible to leave out the non-qualifiers



*Could the final Big XII title game be Oklahoma State-Missouri, missing all 3 pre-season top 10 teams (Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma)? No Nebraska will be there



*Would anyone in their right mind truly want to see an LSU-Pitt Sugar bowl? Dave Wannstedt only



*Is anyone totally stoked for a Virginia Tech-Wisconsin Orange bowl? yawn



*What's the chance BYU finishes this season 8-5? 10:1



*What bowl game is BYU most likely to play in? New Mexico Armpit Bowl



*What's the chance BYU finishes this season 5-7? 100:1
B
BroncoBot
ABYUFAN wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
Yet BSU is still the better team.....


I hadn't realized that Boise State apparently actually beat TCU THIS season...

Nope, it was last season. But everbody who jumps on the "it was last season - it doesn't count" bandwagon is forever banned from using the "we creamed Washington first game of the next season" argument for why we were better than them in 1984

I've never liked the "last season" argument anyway, TCU looks like the better team this year. I still think TCU was so BCS bowl shocked last year that they let the big one get away. That was not the same team that played against BYU and Utah in 09. But BSU did win so credit to them.



I just wish UW would have been men and played BYU, it's their own fault that they can't claim the 84 NC.
Advertisement
T
tmoney35
Mars wrote:

*If both Oregon and Auburn go undefeated, what's the likelihood that one of TCU or Boise State still makes the BCS title game?


zero


Mars wrote:
*If Auburn loses to Alabama in the final game of the regular season, but then wins the SEC championship game, will they still end the season #2 in the final BCS standings?


This one is a little tougher. There's a possibility that Auburn will play an unranked team in the SEC championship game. In that case, TCU has a chance.


Mars wrote:
*Will Stanford finish the season 11-1, with their only loss to #1 Oregon, and get left out of the BCS bowls?


No, I think they'll get in


Mars wrote:
*What's the chance that the BCS only takes the non-BCS team they legally have to, and the other doesn't even make a BCS bowl game (could we see an undefeated TCU in the Las Vegas bowl)?


Doubt it, last year two got in. I think the BCS elitists understand they have to bend at least a little bit to the little guys to keep their power.


Mars wrote:
*Could the final Big XII title game be Oklahoma State-Missouri, missing all 3 pre-season top 10 teams (Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma)?


close, but i think Nebraska gets in. They'll probably play OKie st.




Mars wrote:
*Would anyone in their right mind truly want to see an LSU-Pitt Sugar bowl?



*Is anyone totally stoked for a Virginia Tech-Wisconsin Orange bowl?


Can you imagine an unranked team playing in a BCS bowl? It's ridiculous. There could be TWO this year.


Mars wrote:
*What's the chance BYU finishes this season 8-5?


100% baby!!! :crazy:


Mars wrote:
*What bowl game is BYU most likely to play in?


vegas bowl


Mars wrote:
*What's the chance BYU finishes this season 5-7?


zero! :crazy:
I
Italics
Is TCU better than BSU? Is BSU better? Do they deserve a shot?



Frankly, I wouldn't mind if TCU or BSU got left our of the not only the championship, but the BCS bowls themselves. I hate both teams and - as a BYU fan - I do not celebrate their success.
L
Lawboy
Eh, I still think TCU is better. TCU beat BSU in the bowl in 2008 dominating in the stats column, and lost in 2009, again controlling the stat column. I think the Donkeys scored 1 offensive TD in each game, which is about as awesome as how BYU has played TCU those games in those years. TCU soiled themselves with turnovers both games--credit to BSU for that--but did not play their best in either game. I think TCU is just better this year. I personally think they are the most complete team in the country this year.
A
ABYUFAN
Italics wrote:
Is TCU better than BSU? Is BSU better? Do they deserve a shot?



Frankly, I wouldn't mind if TCU or BSU got left our of the not only the championship, but the BCS bowls themselves. I hate both teams and - as a BYU fan - I do not celebrate their success.

I can see that point, but to steal a line from someone else...we're all BSU.



When there comes a time that we win every game for two years straight, and people don't allow us a chance to be in the national championship game, and even think that we don't beling in BCS bowl, all because they don't like us, then I've got a big problem with that. Give them theri due now, and you'll have earned their support when we accomplish what we soon will.
A
ABYUFAN
Lawboy wrote:
Eh, I still think TCU is better. TCU beat BSU in the bowl in 2008 dominating in the stats column, and lost in 2009, again controlling the stat column. I think the Donkeys scored 1 offensive TD in each game, which is about as awesome as how BYU has played TCU those games in those years. TCU soiled themselves with turnovers both games--credit to BSU for that--but did not play their best in either game. I think TCU is just better this year. I personally think they are the most complete team in the country this year.

That's about as fair of a statement that you can ask for. In 2008 BSU lost only one game that year, and it was to TCU in the bowl game, and it was by 1 point. In 2009 BSU gave TCU their only loss, and that was in a bowl game by 7 points. Obviously they're evenly matched teams. I think BSU is better, but clearly an argument can be made either way - which is why they both deserve a shot. As I said earlier, I think they both should be in the national championship game - but it won't happen.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
well i am pretty certain that auburn is going to lose. so one of them is going to get a shot. who it will be, looks like from the computers its going to be tcu.



what happens then if tcu and oregon to the title game. the rose bowl, must they still take an nonaq team? i know that i oregon goes they do, but if a nonaq team is in the title game does that requirement go away or is it still in force.
Y
YBrit
ABYUFAN wrote:
I still think that it's stupid that TCU has passed BSU in the polls... BSU beat TCU within the past 11 months, and has brought back nearly everybody. That said, I'd LOVE to see TCU and BSU in the championship game, because I think BSU would win. Unfortunately I see BSU being shut out of the BCS again this year.



BTW anyone remember last year when everyone was saying that TCU was the better team because they played a tougher schedule? How'd that work out for them then? :roll:


I hope BS gets left out. TCU beat them the year before last. Thus equal grounds 1-1. I think TCU is ranked ahead of BS for obvious reasons, and will always stay ahead. TCU will for sure be in the BcS, BS could be, I'm okay if they aren't.
E
EM_Puma
Mars wrote:


*What's the chance that the BCS only takes the non-BCS team they legally have to, and the other doesn't even make a BCS bowl game (could we see an undefeated TCU in the Las Vegas bowl)?



This is the scenario of my dreams as these type of situations are the only kind that will, IMHO, have a chance to bring down the BCS. I wouldn't want to see it happen for the sake of either BSU or TCU as they both deserve a BCS bowl game at this point, but the clamor from a #4 non-AQ being left out of the party is just the kind of catalyst the foes of the BCS need to bring it down.
A
ABYUFAN
YBrit wrote:
I still think that it's stupid that TCU has passed BSU in the polls... BSU beat TCU within the past 11 months, and has brought back nearly everybody. That said, I'd LOVE to see TCU and BSU in the championship game, because I think BSU would win. Unfortunately I see BSU being shut out of the BCS again this year.



BTW anyone remember last year when everyone was saying that TCU was the better team because they played a tougher schedule? How'd that work out for them then? :roll:


I hope BS gets left out. TCU beat them the year before last. Thus equal grounds 1-1. I think TCU is ranked ahead of BS for obvious reasons, and will always stay ahead. TCU will for sure be in the BcS, BS could be, I'm okay if they aren't.


Yeah... TCU is ahead of BSU because the folks that are behind the BCS don't believe that what happens on the field between two teams matters. If it they did, we'd have a playoff, but because w don't we have people saying "of course TCU is better than BSU, just like "of course Alabam was better than Utah, and "of course" Oklahoma was better than BSU... etc



If you replace the "S" with a "Y"for that team, everyone on this board would be apoplectic that two of the teams ahead of us are teams that we beat last year, and we only lost ONE player from that team, but we’re behind them with no way of catching them, despite the fact that we'd beat them again THIS year, but they won't play us.
M
MJCOUGAR
ABYUFAN wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
I still think that it's stupid that TCU has passed BSU in the polls... BSU beat TCU within the past 11 months, and has brought back nearly everybody. That said, I'd LOVE to see TCU and BSU in the championship game, because I think BSU would win. Unfortunately I see BSU being shut out of the BCS again this year.



BTW anyone remember last year when everyone was saying that TCU was the better team because they played a tougher schedule? How'd that work out for them then? :roll:


I hope BS gets left out. TCU beat them the year before last. Thus equal grounds 1-1. I think TCU is ranked ahead of BS for obvious reasons, and will always stay ahead. TCU will for sure be in the BcS, BS could be, I'm okay if they aren't.


Yeah... TCU is ahead of BSU because the folks that are behind the BCS don't believe that what happens on the field between two teams matters. If it they did, we'd have a playoff, but because w don't we have people saying "of course TCU is better than BSU, just like "of course Alabam was better than Utah, and "of course" Oklahoma was better than BSU... etc



If you replace the "S" with a "Y"for that team, everyone on this board would be apoplectic that two of the teams ahead of us are teams that we beat last year, and we only lost ONE player from that team, but we’re behind them with no way of catching them, despite the fact that we'd beat them again THIS year, but they won't play us.


Thats what is great about it - I don't have a dog in the fight, I'm unbiased and I think TCU should be ranked ahead of BSU and is the only team in the country that is capable of stopping Oregon's offense. Your right, replace the S with Y and we would all be biased.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.