Archived Topic

If UNLV offense shows - WE ROLL UTAH!!!!

by cougman · 11/8/2010

Advertisement
C
cougman
All year I have been arguing with anyone who would listen that the pukes are extremely over rated. Their best win was either at home vs Pitt or on the road vs Iowa St. Woopdee freaking doo. That gets you a top 6 in the polls??? Anyhow, it was nice to see TCU expose them for what they are.



With that said, there is absolutely no reason we don't open up a can of whoop a on them if Jake and the offense play like they did against UNLV. Bronco obviously cleaned up the defense after Utah St and the offense is tracking very nicely. 7-5 season with a victory over Utah would do a lot to erase the earlier woes of the season.



Two side notes:

Has anyone noticed that SDSU is 7-2?!?!?!



TCU is going to be the most over rated team to ever play in a National Championship game. I know I should side with my conference but Boise has much better quality victories than TCU.
Y
YBrit
I was with you until you said BS has better quality victories than TCU.





No they don't. One "quality" win to a team who lost at home to James Madison?!?!? That win nullified.

Oregon State: also beaten by TCU.

WAC: wac.

TCU: beating several ranked teams (some overrated)

BS: beating a few ranked teams (also overrated)



BS & TCU should play in the NC and TCU will exact revenge.
D
Ddawg
Agreed - BYU has a solid chance to beat the vomit pig dog pukes. It depends if we keep improving & if Anae can put together a good game plan - not typically predictable - & then - prepare the team correctly!! Yes, we can beat the Yewts.
C
Cougarbib
If Heaps throws the ball consistently to the right spot with decent touch, timing, and ball placement you can all quit worrying about play calling, drops, and whatever other scapegoats you have been worrying about.



When a BYU QB does the above - magic happens



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
No, we won't because our receivers won't get this kind of separation against Utah. It would be nice, though...
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Cougarbib2 wrote:
If Heaps throws the ball consistently to the right spot with decent touch, timing, and ball placement you can all quit worrying about play calling, drops, and whatever other scapegoats you have been worrying about.



When a BYU QB does the above - magic happens



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


:gross: :gross: :gross: Open you eyes my friend. Why don't you go take all the dropped balls and then put them in two categories. balls that are not catcahble-bad throws, and balls that were catchable but dropped. You will see that the uncatchable are much farther and fewer in between than those dropped. that is my opinion however. i don't have numbers to back it up. I wish we did though. It would put an end to this ridiculous debate.
L
Lawboy
Leave it to cougarbib and frdbtr to bring the same broken record BS to every Heaps discussion, even after a solid game. Seriously, tiresome. If you disagree, go listen to what Coach Mendenhall thinks about this issue, and see who he called out on offense a few weeks back. Hint:it was not the QB, it was the receiivng crew. Wonder why. Or maybe Bronco was just scapegoating them, right?
B
bball
I drove up to the game on Saturday. Here are my observations:



1. The UNLV pass coverage was pretty good, there were only a couple of wide open receivers, but the coverage was pretty good. Our receivers still don't go up strong and get the ball, they still allow the defender to create an incompletion.

2. BYU had no false starts for the first time this season, that was a long overdue performance. False starts don't have anything to do with the other team, so it was good to see that. A veteran Oline should not be having any false starts this late in the season

3. Heaps was on target, only two throws that I saw were a bit off target. I still say we are going to end up loving Heaps, he can throw the ball, and the next couple of years are going to be fun.

4. DiLuigi has no power, he's quick, shifty, and quick, but unlike Unga who could get 4,5,6,7 yards after he was hit, JJ gets nothing after he's hit. It's just what he is.

5. Quezada, however, does get yards after the initial hit. Two of his TDs would not have been TDs if JJ had been the ball carrier, which is why, I think, the coaches put him in near the goal line--he has some power.

6. UNLV is an awful team. Both their QBs were anywhere from 5 to 10 yards off on most of their throws, they weren't even close on most of them; and they have no running game.

7. And I still say Anae is one of the least imaginative OC in the country. I don't wish ill on anyone, but I just believe if we had a real, experienced, imaginative OC, we would have won at least three more games this year, and scored a lot more points.
I
IndiCoug
Cougarbib2 wrote:
If Heaps throws the ball consistently to the right spot with decent touch, timing, and ball placement you can all quit worrying about play calling, drops, and whatever other scapegoats you have been worrying about.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You have no freakin idea what your talkin about. Take your spam somewhere else, it's always the same thing (copy and paste) and you simply have no clue. :sick: :sick:
S
Schmoe
cougman wrote:
...Boise has much better quality victories than TCU.


Really? Do you want to back that up with any real facts? Oh, you can't because it's not true? Alright then, I forgive you. ;)
Advertisement
I
IndiCoug
Just to stay on topic;

Utah is beatable. I don't think we role simply because we haven't rolled them in such a long time and it hasn't been because we didn't have good teams. Utah ALWAYS gets up for BYU and I honestly can say we just don't. I don't know if it is the constant beat downs we gave them in the 80's and early 90's but the Utah game use to the same as CSU or UNM.

I think them going to the PAC will change that and we will get up for them but at this point I think the team that comes into the game more fired up will win........BYU caught a fire this last week and I hope it turns into an inferno by the time we hit RES.
Y
YBrit
Schmoe wrote:
...Boise has much better quality victories than TCU.


Really? Do you want to back that up with any real facts? Oh, you can't because it's not true? Alright then, I forgive you. ;)


They are including BS wins from the beginning of the existence of blue turf, and excluding TCUs wins from 2010.



Anybody that thinks BS has a better SOS knows nothing about college football and should not live in this country.
C
cougman
YBrit wrote:
cougman wrote:
...Boise has much better quality victories than TCU.


Really? Do you want to back that up with any real facts? Oh, you can't because it's not true? Alright then, I forgive you. ;)


They are including BS wins from the beginning of the existence of blue turf, and excluding TCUs wins from 2010.



Anybody that thinks BS has a better SOS knows nothing about college football and should not live in this country.


I guess in order to save my citizenship, I'll respond to your ignorant and mean spirited statement with facts as you apparently can't.



The whole premise of the arguement is based on both BS and TCU going undefeated.



With that said, TCU's best wins will be a 9 point victory against Oregon St (probably unranked), Baylor (probably unranked) and Utah (mid teens - hopefully worse after we throttle them).



BSU's best wins will be Va Tech (currently #10, probably ACC winner and BCS bound), a 13 point victory against Oregon St (probably unranked), and Nevada (low 20's after BSU beats them), and Hawaii (possibly ranked, likely unranked).



Not sure where the official strength of schedule ratings come from, because if you google it there are some that have BSU's higher, but Sagerin has TCU at 62 and BSU at 72. That's not that big of difference and BSU's will be higher after they beat Fresno and Nevada. TCU's will get worse after their last game. SDSU could help out a little, but no more than Fresno helping Boise.



I guess the bottom line is that there is more compelling evidence that BSU's schedule will end up being better than TCU's so making the assertion that you did is pretty lame. You basically asserted that it's not even close. Apparently you know nothing about college football. But you still can live in the country.



Oh yeah, and of course none of this includes the little gem that BSU beat TCU in 2010 already.



And coming full circle back to the original point of the topic, it's very possible that Utah is unranked after we beat them.

***plus, the pukes are the only team in the top 23 without a win over another top 30 school.***
D
Ddawg
cougman wrote:

***plus, the pukes are the only team in the top 23 without a win over another top 30 school.***


Luv it!!!! We will beat the scuzz ball Yewts - because it's "Manifest Destiny!!!!!!" LOL!! Ha-ha!!

:crazy:



(That ought to wind up a few trolls)
S
Schmoe
Again, citing the bowl victory does nothing unless you want to join the BCS cartel. Also, I like how you mention Hawaii as a possible top-25 team for BSU, but leave out Baylor, SDSU, and AFA off the list for TCU. Also, don't know where you pulled Va Tech at #10, they are currently #20 and lost to James Madison, ouch. If you look at the computer numbers, which calculate SOS, TCU is at .950 and BSU is at .790, TCU's lowest rank by any computer is 3rd, while BSU's is 10 (not to mention an 8, 7, and their highest in any computer is 3).



Not to mention that TCU has some of the best defensive numbers in the country (first in scoring D and passing D) and #8 in scoring offense vs. a tougher SOS (factually, not just in someone's imagination). And, though we all like to pick on the frUtes, they trounced an Iowa St. team who beat Texas Tech and took Nebraska to overtime (and would have won if not for one shoddy pass on a faked extra point), and they are STILL ranked higher than Va Tech.
Advertisement
F
Florwood
bball wrote:
I drove up to the game on Saturday. Here are my observations:

2. BYU had no false starts for the first time this season, that was a long overdue performance. False starts don't have anything to do with the other team, so it was good to see that. A veteran Oline should not be having any false starts this late in the season


There was one false start, it was early in the game on a 3rd and 5, helped kill the drive.
C
Cougarbib
jonnylingo wrote:
If Heaps throws the ball consistently to the right spot with decent touch, timing, and ball placement you can all quit worrying about play calling, drops, and whatever other scapegoats you have been worrying about.



When a BYU QB does the above - magic happens



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


:gross: :gross: :gross: Open you eyes my friend. Why don't you go take all the dropped balls and then put them in two categories. balls that are not catcahble-bad throws, and balls that were catchable but dropped. You will see that the uncatchable are much farther and fewer in between than those dropped. that is my opinion however. i don't have numbers to back it up. I wish we did though. It would put an end to this ridiculous debate.


Open your eyes and open your mind - read this carefully so you do not misunderstnad what I and others are saying - yet again



I am saying that when Heaps throws it spot on rather than having to debate how catchable a ball is a litle behind the receiver or a little high or thrown too hard, but someone was abl eto contort and get a hand or two on it - when the receivers know the ball will be where it is supposed ot be whe nit is supposed ot be, they will look their first, look their at th eright time, an dnot only get two hands on it, but two hands in the ocrrect position, with their body moving in usnion, etc., adn although they will even drop those once in a while - the % of passes caught will - and did - go up.



That is all I am saying. Every artice I have read and every commentator I have listened to, including Bronco and Heaps himself, said he threw the ball with more consistency in the UNLV game.



When that happens - magic happens. You just saw it happen. Hopefully we will see it happen Saturday.



And Heaps is working harder - Franchuck wrote this AM at the en dof his Foote article that Jake wants it very badly and tha the was the last guy off the practice field last night. There has also been more 1's against 1's in practice - making it more like game situation.



I think th eentire team has cranked it up a notch - not just Heaps. And no, I don't think the problems are 100% Heap's fault. But when he throws it with consistency where it is supposed to go, when it is supposed to go, wth appropriate touch - the entire team and coaching staff suddenly look much better.



Bottom line - perfect passes are gon gto get caught at a higher % than imperfectly thrown passes that are "catchable".
C
Cougarbib
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Cougarbib2 wrote:
If Heaps throws the ball consistently to the right spot with decent touch, timing, and ball placement you can all quit worrying about play calling, drops, and whatever other scapegoats you have been worrying about.



When a BYU QB does the above - magic happens



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


:gross: :gross: :gross: Open you eyes my friend. Why don't you go take all the dropped balls and then put them in two categories. balls that are not catcahble-bad throws, and balls that were catchable but dropped. You will see that the uncatchable are much farther and fewer in between than those dropped. that is my opinion however. i don't have numbers to back it up. I wish we did though. It would put an end to this ridiculous debate.


Open your eyes and open your mind - read this carefully so you do not misunderstand what I and others are saying - yet again



I am saying that when Heaps throws it spot on rather than having to debate how catchable a ball is - a litle behind the receiver or a little high or thrown too hard, but someone was able to contort and get a hand or two on it - when the receivers know the ball will be where it is supposed to be when it is supposed to be, they will look there first, look there at the right time, and not only get two hands on it, but two hands in the ocrrect position, with their body moving in unison, etc., and although they will even drop those once in a while - the % of passes caught will - and did - go up.



That is all I am saying. Every artice I have read and every commentator I have listened to, including Bronco and Heaps himself, said Heaps threw the ball with more consistency in the UNLV game.



When that happens - magic happens. You just saw it happen. Hopefully we will see it happen Saturday.



And Heaps is working harder - Franchuck wrote this AM at the end of his Foote article that Jake wants it very badly and that he was the last guy off the practice field last night. There has also been more 1's against 1's in practice - making it more like game situation.



I think the entire team has cranked it up a notch - not just Heaps. And no, I don't think the problems are 100% Heap's fault. But when he throws it with consistency where it is supposed to go, when it is supposed to go, wth appropriate touch - the entire team and coaching staff suddenly look much better.



Bottom line - perfect passes are going to get caught at a higher % than imperfectly thrown passes that are "catchable".
C
Cougarbib
IndiCoug wrote:
If Heaps throws the ball consistently to the right spot with decent touch, timing, and ball placement you can all quit worrying about play calling, drops, and whatever other scapegoats you have been worrying about.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You have no freakin idea what your talkin about. Take your spam somewhere else, it's always the same thing (copy and paste) and you simply have no clue. :sick: :sick:




IndiCoug

I am respectfually asking you this question. A yes or no answer will suffice. I know what every sportwrite and sportscaster and Bronco and Heaps himslef have said on this topic. SInce you ar eso full of yourself, I would like to know wha tyou think.



Do you, IndiCoug, think Jake Heaps threw more consistently over the entire 4(actually 3 since he was abl eto rest most of Q4 due to how well he ignited the offense) quarters - with more consistent timing, touch, accuracy, and placement - vs UNLV compared to the full 4 quarters in prior games this season?



Yes?

or No?



Assuming you were able to choke out a yes to that question? Did you notice that now plays worked as designed, receivers caught a igher % of passes, the running game opened up even more, and the entire team looked better?



Yes?

or

No?



Now it was UNLV and not TCU - but I saw - (as best I could watching the game on the RADIO and listening to what KSL announcers said, and Bronco, Heaps, and other players said after the game and reading every article I could find on the topic - clear improvement in Heaps passing and the entire team's response.
M
Mars
Schmoe wrote:
TCU has some of the best defensive numbers in the country (first in scoring D and passing D) and #8 in scoring offense vs. a tougher SOS (factually, not just in someone's imagination).

No SOS is "factual". That like saying, factually, SDSU is a better football team than BYU according to the rankings. That's not a fact, that's a computerized opinion. Same with strength of schedule.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.