Archived Topic

Why is everyone eating Crow?

by frdbtr · 11/7/2010

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Why is everyone that recognized that our offense/Jake Heaps was not playing well is now coming back saying that they are eating crow? There is no need to eat crow. What happened today is what everyone has wanted from the beginning; Jake heaps to finally look like a BYU QB and our offense to play well. I am ecstatic about what happened and I am looking forward to having continued improvement. I am not eating crow.
M
Mars


Some have said Heaps should benched for Lark (including you).

Some have said that Heaps would NEVER have a good game this season.



Those people are, or should be, eating crow right now.
F
frdbtr
Mars wrote:


Some have said Heaps should benched for Lark (including you).

Some have said that Heaps would NEVER have a good game this season.



Those people are, or should be, eating crow right now.


Actually, I said that if he came out and looked in this game like he has all season (100 PER less then 100 yeards throwing), we should consider trying Lark in his stead. I have never called for his benching.
B
BroncoBot
I had to eat crow about doubting BYU scoring 30 points. Didn't think it humanly possible after the first half of this year and the wyoming game. Glad I was wrong about that.
C
CougarClaw
declocoug wrote:
I had to eat crow about doubting BYU scoring 30 points. Didn't think it humanly possible after the first half of this year and the wyoming game. Glad I was wrong about that.


Hard to understand how UNLV and Wyoming both have bottom of the barrel defenses but we can hang 25 on one defense, and 55 on the other.

Amazing what two weeks will do.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
I predicted that BYU would win 7-8 games this season, struggle against AFA and USU, and would score more than 35 today and I still come away from today's game, thinking that I gave Ashworth and Jacobson a raw deal. Not because they didnt' deserve it based on previous games, but because I assumed that they had mailed in the season and might not be redeemable. Today proved otherwise.



I couldn't be happier that Jacobson and Ashworth both manned up and played great today and I feel terrible that i had written them off.



(I really do wonder if OCs bad attitude in practice wasn't a little infectious)
B
BroncoBot
craigoscarson wrote:
I predicted that BYU would win 7-8 games this season, struggle against AFA and USU, and would score more than 35 today and I still come away from today's game, thinking that I gave Ashworth and Jacobson a raw deal. Not because they didnt' deserve it based on previous games, but because I assumed that they had mailed in the season and might not be redeemable. Today proved otherwise.



I couldn't be happier that Jacobson and Ashworth both manned up and played great today and I feel terrible that i had written them off.



(I really do wonder if OCs bad attitude in practice wasn't a little infectious)

This has been a different team without OC. Maybe it's because they are playing the worst teams after he was released, maybe not. In any case, the coaches must have known that suspending OC was for the good of the team and that he had run out of second chances.



Hope he lands on his feet.
S
Schmoe
I simply said that our passing offense would again be anemic, I didn't place on the blame squarely on any one person. But I had to eat crow because I was wrong and our passing worked well this week. I hope it's a sign of things to come and not just a one game anomaly.
C
craigoscarson
After giving it a little thought, I think those that have been murdering Heaps past performances and calling for his head if this game didn't go well should probably sit up to the table and eat a little crow.



Heaps has been hammered pretty hard on this board and once he plays like this, you'd kind of expect those that hammered to at least give him his props... if that means eating a little crow sobeit.



I dont' think it was too much to ask for a little faith that a true freshman with immense talent would figure it out eventually... ironically it coincided with his receivers actually delivering for him today.
M
Mars
frdbtr wrote:
Actually, I said that if he came out and looked in this game like he has all season (100 PER less then 100 yeards throwing), we should consider trying Lark in his stead. I have never called for his benching.

Well then I'm sorry for misrepresenting you. I also thought that Bib was in that category after the Wyoming game, but now he's saying that he wasn't either. Guess I remembered wrong.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Mars wrote:
Actually, I said that if he came out and looked in this game like he has all season (100 PER less then 100 yeards throwing), we should consider trying Lark in his stead. I have never called for his benching.

Well then I'm sorry for misrepresenting you. I also thought that Bib was in that category after the Wyoming game, but now he's saying that he wasn't either. Guess I remembered wrong.


I'm still waiting on Kitic's take on today... he of the heavy hammer so far this year.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:
Actually, I said that if he came out and looked in this game like he has all season (100 PER less then 100 yeards throwing), we should consider trying Lark in his stead. I have never called for his benching.

Well then I'm sorry for misrepresenting you. I also thought that Bib was in that category after the Wyoming game, but now he's saying that he wasn't either. Guess I remembered wrong.

IIRC, Bib, frdbtr, most of the "anti-Heapsters", and I were just disappointed in Heaps' performance so far. Not many people calling for his benching because most everyone figured that BYU's next option at QB wouldn't fare any better.
F
frdbtr
craigoscarson wrote:
After giving it a little thought, I think those that have been murdering Heaps past performances and calling for his head if this game didn't go well should probably sit up to the table and eat a little crow.



Heaps has been hammered pretty hard on this board and once he plays like this, you'd kind of expect those that hammered to at least give him his props... if that means eating a little crow sobeit.



I dont' think it was too much to ask for a little faith that a true freshman with immense talent would figure it out eventually... ironically it coincided with his receivers actually delivering for him today.


I refuse to call being excited to finally see him do what we all thought him capable of eating crow. I have been down on him because he has played really really badly since being named the starter and it seemed to be getting worse every week. I felt like his confidence was shot and it was going to take an off season to fix it. I am glad that I was wrong (at least for this week). I am hoping that what we saw today carries into the weeks to come because after what I saw in SLC today, if BYU's offense keeps improving I am confident our defense is good enough to win the game for us in SLC if the offense can do anything in that game. I guess if that is eating crow, then it tastes like chicken.
M
Mars
craigoscarson wrote:
I'm still waiting on Kitic's take on today... he of the heavy hammer so far this year.

You know, I've never thought of Kitic as "anti-Heaps" at any point this year. He's been very fair, very statistics-based, and he's always said that he hopes Heaps would improve soon and he would be very happy if he did. So to be fair, it's worth noting that up until today, Jake's PER itself has been a heavy hammer.



Bright times ahead friends.
F
frdbtr
declocoug wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Actually, I said that if he came out and looked in this game like he has all season (100 PER less then 100 yeards throwing), we should consider trying Lark in his stead. I have never called for his benching.

Well then I'm sorry for misrepresenting you. I also thought that Bib was in that category after the Wyoming game, but now he's saying that he wasn't either. Guess I remembered wrong.

IIRC, Bib, frdbtr, most of the "anti-Heapsters", and I were just disappointed in Heaps' performance so far. Not many people calling for his benching because most everyone figured that BYU's next option at QB wouldn't fare any better.


I know what you are saying but I have never been "anti Heaps" I was just one of the first that dared come on this site and point out that his issues weren't all Robert Anae's and the recievers fault and I got flamed for it. I have maintained in every argument that I loved the kid and hoped to see him start playing well. All of my flamers seemed to skip over those parts of my posts.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
frdbtr wrote:
Mars wrote:
Actually, I said that if he came out and looked in this game like he has all season (100 PER less then 100 yeards throwing), we should consider trying Lark in his stead. I have never called for his benching.

Well then I'm sorry for misrepresenting you. I also thought that Bib was in that category after the Wyoming game, but now he's saying that he wasn't either. Guess I remembered wrong.

IIRC, Bib, frdbtr, most of the "anti-Heapsters", and I were just disappointed in Heaps' performance so far. Not many people calling for his benching because most everyone figured that BYU's next option at QB wouldn't fare any better.


I know what you are saying but I have never been "anti Heaps" I was just one of the first that dared come on this site and point out that his issues weren't all Robert Anae's and the recievers fault and I got flamed for it. I have maintained in every argument that I loved the kid and hoped to see him start playing well. All of my flamers seemed to skip over those parts of my posts.

I don't consider you, bib, kitic or myself anti-heaps but certain persons here don't like that we were pointing out the chinks in Heaps armor. "Anti-heaps" is just the label given us by "heaps worshipers". Hence the quotation marks.
F
Florwood
Just something to help out:



http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6JPrNHnRVZI/SW5WXZh6soI/AAAAAAAAC9E/zPAPSK8gqJo/s1600/eat-crow.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
CougarClaw wrote:
I had to eat crow about doubting BYU scoring 30 points. Didn't think it humanly possible after the first half of this year and the wyoming game. Glad I was wrong about that.


Hard to understand how UNLV and Wyoming both have bottom of the barrel defenses but we can hang 25 on one defense, and 55 on the other.

Amazing what two weeks will do.


Both games started out the same. It is amazing what a pick 6 and a fumble leading to a score at the end of the first half when Wyoming has minus 18 yards can do.



This week - no turnovers while UNLV had 2 or 3.



Go Cougs.
C
Cougarbib
craigoscarson wrote:
After giving it a little thought, I think those that have been murdering Heaps past performances and calling for his head if this game didn't go well should probably sit up to the table and eat a little crow.



Heaps has been hammered pretty hard on this board and once he plays like this, you'd kind of expect those that hammered to at least give him his props... if that means eating a little crow sobeit.



I dont' think it was too much to ask for a little faith that a true freshman with immense talent would figure it out eventually... ironically it coincided with his receivers actually delivering for him today.




Not ironic at all. When the BYU QB delivers the ball consistently to where it is supposed to go at the right time, velocity, and location - a lot more balls get caught, the running game opens up, the defense gets better field position and spends less time on th field and the play caller looks like a genius.



I heard that Jake is working harder in practice and it is starting to pay off.
C
Cougarbib
Yes - I was definitely pointing out that heaps difficulties are not all due to playcalling, receivers, etc. I did several times say that I would try Lark for a series or two no matter how Heaps played in this game so we could have a look see and also develop a back-up QB. I defintely said Heaps should start an dhoped tha the look see for Lark would come at the tail end of a blowout, but wanted to see 2 series even if it was not a vlowout. None of that equated to benching Heaps. I would actually like to have seen them let Lark throw enough to move the chains and keep our defense off the field. I hope we don't end up needing to throw a back-up in due to injury or ilness, but stuff happens and the mistake of last year - not enough game situation reps for the back-up, is being repeated this year. I understood it up until now, because we never had the luxury of a big lead - but today, even with some criticism for running up trhe score, Bronco should have had Lark throw it 30-40% of the time. It is rare that a team doesn't end up needing a back-up QB during a season. Nelson wen tdown in week 3, for example. Jake Locker has had a cracked rib and finally had to sit today. It just happens. Wynn sat this year for a few games.



I actually expected Heaps to light up Wyoming a bit and if it were not for the pick 6 and Juice fumble to give Wyoming 10 points on minus 18 yards in the first half - we might have seen it happen a week earlier.



The bye week had to help.



I hope we see more of it on the road. I hope CSU doesn't have the crowd and intensity to pressure Heaps with deafening noise near his end zone or near their end zone.



If Heaps throws consistently, like he did today - I firmly believe that the receivers will catch most of them and Anae's play calling will look miraculously better, and the backs will run all over CSU. In fact, I am counting on the backs to take some pressure off Heaps in the early going.



And, I have not conceded the Utah game.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.