Archived Topic

I am officially AGAINST the new student section

by CannonCougar85 · 11/6/2010

Advertisement
C
CannonCougar85
I attended the game today and I loved every minute of it. It was a great game and it feels good to see BYU drop 55 points on somebody.



That being said I was extremely disappointed, nay, maddened by the student section today. In the first quarter the most empty parts of the stadium were the student sections. Rows and rows of empty bleachers. And I'm not talking about the nosebleeds here. In the north endzone right behind the goalposts there were rows of empty bleachers starting at row 5 or so and it was like that in every student section around the stadium. We're talking the end of the 1st quarter here! The student section didn't even start to fill up until the middle of the second quarter. It was absolutely pathetic.



And we're talking about unifying a student section? What student section? A noon kickoff in perfect weather and they can't even show up to see the first quarter? That is a joke. Why should season ticket holders that show up to every game for 10+ years be relocated just to accommodate students that don't even seem to give a damn? And don't give me this crap about UNLV not being an interesting opponent because a majority of the regular season ticket holders seemed to show up just fine and in far greater percentages then the student section.



I was for the proposition to unify the student section and now, because of today, I couldn't be more against it. Those students were absolutely pathetic. They don't deserve it. What an embarrassment.
B
bostoncoug
I I think that it's sort of a "if you build it, they will come." I like the idea, especially if the seats are general admission, forcing those that really want to be there to get to the game on time and snatch up the best seats. I laughed at the idea of "the muss" when I first heard of it, but after a while, I think they've got a pretty cool thing going. I hope that our unified student section can be what "the muss" has become, except our student won't have to get drunk to get rowdy :crazy:
W
Wickchad
bostoncoug wrote:
I I think that it's sort of a "if you build it, they will come." I like the idea, especially if the seats are general admission, forcing those that really want to be there to get to the game on time and snatch up the best seats. I laughed at the idea of "the muss" when I first heard of it, but after a while, I think they've got a pretty cool thing going. I hope that our unified student section can be what "the muss" has become, except our student won't have to get drunk to get rowdy :crazy:


You hit the nail on the head. General admission and the majority of the good student seats will be filled up 2 hours before the game starts.
T
taekwondave
CannonCougar85 wrote:
I attended the game today and I loved every minute of it. It was a great game and it feels good to see BYU drop 55 points on somebody.



That being said I was extremely disappointed, nay, maddened by the student section today. In the first quarter the most empty parts of the stadium were the student sections. Rows and rows of empty bleachers. And I'm not talking about the nosebleeds here. In the north endzone right behind the goalposts there were rows of empty bleachers starting at row 5 or so and it was like that in every student section around the stadium. We're talking the end of the 1st quarter here! The student section didn't even start to fill up until the middle of the second quarter. It was absolutely pathetic.



And we're talking about unifying a student section? What student section? A noon kickoff in perfect weather and they can't even show up to see the first quarter? That is a joke. Why should season ticket holders that show up to every game for 10+ years be relocated just to accommodate students that don't even seem to give a damn? And don't give me this crap about UNLV not being an interesting opponent because a majority of the regular season ticket holders seemed to show up just fine and in far greater percentages then the student section.



I was for the proposition to unify the student section and now, because of today, I couldn't be more against it. Those students were absolutely pathetic. They don't deserve it. What an embarrassment.


Meh. It isn't JUST that we were playing a weak opponent, man. Had our team seemed half-way decent before today you would have seen a better turnout. We were also competing with the self-appointed "biggest game in Utah history" up north. Plenty of students stayed home to flip between channels of those two games, viewing rooting against Utah as an extension of rooting for BYU. For those lucky players, they got to enjoy two GREAT moments. Watching TCU lay the wood on Utah was very rewarding. Much better than attending the game for me. I watched pretty close to every single down of the BYU game, but it has been a LONG time since we won by that much and Utah lost by that much. A rare t.v. moment, indeed.



As for your beef about combining the student section; that's not even logical. If the students are not going to show up on days like this, and they have general admission tickets so that the early birds are rewarded with better seats, even when the whole student body doesn't show we're still gonna have a better student section than we do now. You put what few students showed today all together and it doesn't look so bad. You take what few did and split them up like they were today, plus it's assigned seating so they're scattered even more? There you've got your problem.



So basically, your rant should serve as evidence to you that you should want the student section combined even MORE now.
C
CannonCougar85
taekwondave wrote:

Meh. It isn't JUST that we were playing a weak opponent, man. Had our team seemed half-way decent before today you would have seen a better turnout. We were also competing with the self-appointed "biggest game in Utah history" up north. Plenty of students stayed home to flip between channels of those two games, viewing rooting against Utah as an extension of rooting for BYU. For those lucky players, they got to enjoy two GREAT moments. Watching TCU lay the wood on Utah was very rewarding. Much better than attending the game for me. I watched pretty close to every single down of the BYU game, but it has been a LONG time since we won by that much and Utah lost by that much. A rare t.v. moment, indeed.



As for your beef about combining the student section; that's not even logical. If the students are not going to show up on days like this, and they have general admission tickets so that the early birds are rewarded with better seats, even when the whole student body doesn't show we're still gonna have a better student section than we do now. You put what few students showed today all together and it doesn't look so bad. You take what few did and split them up like they were today, plus it's assigned seating so they're scattered even more? There you've got your problem.



So basically, your rant should serve as evidence to you that you should want the student section combined even MORE now.


You misinterpreted my post. (Hey someone is accusing YOU of not reading a post dave!! ;) ) The BYU game kicked off at noon and the Utah game kicked off at 1. Like I said in the post, the student section didn't start to fill up until midway through the 2nd quarter. If the students were at home flipping between games then they wouldn't have showed up at all, correct?



And my beef is not with unifying the student section, my beef is with kicking out people who show up on time to every game for 10+ years just to accommodate students that don't show up on time to every game.
Advertisement
T
taekwondave
CannonCougar85 wrote:

Meh. It isn't JUST that we were playing a weak opponent, man. Had our team seemed half-way decent before today you would have seen a better turnout. We were also competing with the self-appointed "biggest game in Utah history" up north. Plenty of students stayed home to flip between channels of those two games, viewing rooting against Utah as an extension of rooting for BYU. For those lucky players, they got to enjoy two GREAT moments. Watching TCU lay the wood on Utah was very rewarding. Much better than attending the game for me. I watched pretty close to every single down of the BYU game, but it has been a LONG time since we won by that much and Utah lost by that much. A rare t.v. moment, indeed.



As for your beef about combining the student section; that's not even logical. If the students are not going to show up on days like this, and they have general admission tickets so that the early birds are rewarded with better seats, even when the whole student body doesn't show we're still gonna have a better student section than we do now. You put what few students showed today all together and it doesn't look so bad. You take what few did and split them up like they were today, plus it's assigned seating so they're scattered even more? There you've got your problem.



So basically, your rant should serve as evidence to you that you should want the student section combined even MORE now.


You misinterpreted my post. (Hey someone is accusing YOU of not reading a post dave!! ;) ) The BYU game kicked off at noon and the Utah game kicked off at 1. Like I said in the post, the student section didn't start to fill up until midway through the 2nd quarter. If the students were at home flipping between games then they wouldn't have showed up at all, correct?



And my beef is not with unifying the student section, my beef is with kicking out people who show up on time to every game for 10+ years just to accommodate students that don't show up on time to every game.




Touche (on when the students showed up). But they're not "kicking people out", they're moving them. Kicking out sounds much worse. They're moving them so the students can sit together. You gotta admit, if they do the general admission thing, you'll have the most dedicated students right where they should be: piled up near the field, operating as one loud, angry body. It will be awesome.
C
craigoscarson
I think the idea is that the status quo isn't working, so why not try something new.



The MUSS isn't very old because Utah success isn't very old... BYU can certainly make something work if they can create the right momentum for it to happen. Winning, continuity, and a little peer pressure never hurt. BYU students aren't really that much different than others. If it's the popular thing to do, they'll latch on.



If the idea doesn't work, at least they tried and that's still better than the status quo where students still to this day don't seem to collectively get it.
C
CougarClaw
The game wasn't a sellout, but um...



we still had nearly TWENTY tHOUSAND MORE fans than that "big blowout" up north. 61,000 in attendance is very, very impressive for a losing record team so Id five a pass for those who showed up late since they came at all.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.