Archived Topic

TCU = national championship?

by craigoscarson · 11/6/2010

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Will this game catapult them to a national championship game, or will the media just discount it because Utah is the worst #5 ranked team in recent memory?



There's little doubt that TCU will finsh this season undefeated now but plenty of doubt that they'll get anything better than a 3rd rematch with Boise.
T
tmoney35
I think this is one of the rare times when absolutely destroying your opponent actually hurts you. Normally, when you beat a top 10 team, you get big time respect from the voters.



Obviously, with TCU being non-AQ, they want someway to discredit every win. TCU beating U by 40 or 50 gives the voters an out. Now they can say, "well, this shows that Utah was just really overrated." They have the excuse they need to not put TCU in the top 2
S
Schmoe
With how the computers and things have gone, and Alabama losing today, it looks like TCU really needs an Auburn or Oregon loss, but it is a VERY real possibility. As much as I might not like the horny toads, I would love for them to play for the NC instead of Donkey State.
1
1967cougar
tmoney35 wrote:
I think this is one of the rare times when absolutely destroying your opponent actually hurts you. Normally, when you beat a top 10 team, you get big time respect from the voters.



Obviously, with TCU being non-AQ, they want someway to discredit every win. TCU beating U by 40 or 50 gives the voters an out. Now they can say, "well, this shows that Utah was just really overrated." They have the excuse they need to not put TCU in the top 2


Uh, the Pukes really were overrated. I would expect at least one more loss for them in their final three games.
W
Wickchad
Baylor losing today hurts their chances. They could have gotten more help if Iowa State could have knocked off Nebraska. Alabama needs to beat Auburn. Oklahoma and Nebraska will probably face each other in the Big 12 title game so that winner is still a threat to jump over TCU on the last week.
Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
Is Auburn going to make it through the rest of their schedule? I think a lot depends on how the SEC falls.



I'd personally love to see TCU put a smack on Oregon for all the marbles.
I
Italics
I'd personally love to see BSU and TCU both go to BCS bowl games and get annihilated. I don't care if it fuels the BCS arrogance. I want them to lose and lose badly.
M
Mars


I think it would be funny to see both Oregon and TCU ranked ahead of an undefeated Boise State, when BSU beat both of them last season. The BCS is such a joke.
M
Mars


TCU or Boise State, one of them is going to win the Rose Bowl this year.
C
craigoscarson
The odds of TCU and BSU going into the postseason undefeated is 80%+ ... so I guess we can talk about this now.



(this is all with my belief that if Oregon and Auburn are undefeated by the postseason that they do indeed deserve to play in the national championship... unless someone will actually provide proof that Cam Newton, his father, his fathers churches or his handler got paid by anyone representing Auburn)



I would like any outcome that continues to bring shame to the BCS.



1. I would like to see the BCS take 2 1 loss BCS teams to the NC game and leave TCU and Boise out

I think that would be the deathnail and congress would finally take action



2. I would like to see TCU or Boise dominate either Auburn or Oregon in the NC... again it devalues BCS teams (which is why the BCS put TCU and Boise head to head last year)



3. I would like to see Oregon and Auburn lose and then watch the BCS squirm (like a 7th grade class watching a labor and delivery video) when they have to decide on a BSU / TCU game...



I'm not a fan of TCU or Boise, but I hate the BCS much much more and ultimately I love college football more than my dislike for those programs. I also love the NCAA hoops tourney and think that a college playoff (even if it's only 8 teams) would be absolutely amazing... and a cash cow beyond what the BCS is currently hoarding.



Now the conspiracy talk... would the SEC take a dive and help Auburn stay undefeated? (refs, etc.) Would the pac-10 do the same for Oregon? I'm not sure.
Advertisement
Y
YBrit
If it goes by SOS tcu should be in and BS should be out
B
BroncoBot
craigoscarson wrote:
The odds of TCU and BSU going into the postseason undefeated is 80%+ ... so I guess we can talk about this now.



(this is all with my belief that if Oregon and Auburn are undefeated by the postseason that they do indeed deserve to play in the national championship... unless someone will actually provide proof that Cam Newton, his father, his fathers churches or his handler got paid by anyone representing Auburn)



I would like any outcome that continues to bring shame to the BCS.



1. I would like to see the BCS take 2 1 loss BCS teams to the NC game and leave TCU and Boise out

I think that would be the deathnail and congress would finally take action



2. I would like to see TCU or Boise dominate either Auburn or Oregon in the NC... again it devalues BCS teams (which is why the BCS put TCU and Boise head to head last year)



3. I would like to see Oregon and Auburn lose and then watch the BCS squirm (like a 7th grade class watching a labor and delivery video) when they have to decide on a BSU / TCU game...



I'm not a fan of TCU or Boise, but I hate the BCS much much more and ultimately I love college football more than my dislike for those programs. I also love the NCAA hoops tourney and think that a college playoff (even if it's only 8 teams) would be absolutely amazing... and a cash cow beyond what the BCS is currently hoarding.



Now the conspiracy talk... would the SEC take a dive and help Auburn stay undefeated? (refs, etc.) Would the pac-10 do the same for Oregon? I'm not sure.

100% agree with this. The scenario that drives the final nail in the BcS coffin the quickest is the scenario I want. Even if that meant BYU getting the short end of the stick (obviously don't have to worry about that much this year).
S
Schmoe
Craig, that's not a conspiracy theory, the SEC officials constantly make questionable calls in favor of the higher ranked team, it happens every single week.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.