Archived Topic

Another interesting article

by PoppingasAP · 11/4/2010

Advertisement
P
PoppingasAP
A couple of thoughts:



1) We suck because our coach doesn't swear?

I don't think so. The author makes it look like we don't practice hard because our coach doesn't swear and swearing = intensity. One of my professors once said the only reason people swear is because their vocabulary is so limited that they can't express themselves intelligently. That would explain the typical Ute.



2) The article insinuates that BYU has gone way down hill since the 2004 coaching hires?

Based on this years results. The author fails to mention our record from 2005-2009.



3) Utah gets the best LDS athletes?

Based on what? One kid from Orem and the fact that SLC is more diverse than Provo?



Your thoughts?



http://sportsillustrated.asia/vault/article/magazine/MAG1176702/1/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
livin the dream
Did SI hire Gordon Monson to write this article?
B
BroncoBot
I didn't read the article, but don't feel like it's worth my time if your synopsis is right.



Someone is getting paid to write about something he/she knows nothing about.
M
Mars
declocoug wrote:
I didn't read the article, but don't feel like it's worth my time if your synopsis is right. Someone is getting paid to write about something he/she knows nothing about.

"The Right Call": Why Kyle Whittingham chose to coach at Utah over BYU :sick:





Published Nov. 8, 2010? That means... the time machine works!
S
Schmoe
If I were a pig, I'd enjoy rolling through four pages of pure BS. But, since I'm not swine (though I think I may be battling a case of swine flu), I skimmed the article and gave it the middle finger.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
PoppingasAP wrote:
A couple of thoughts:



1) We suck because our coach doesn't swear?

I don't think so. The author makes it look like we don't practice hard because our coach doesn't swear and swearing = intensity. One of my professors once said the only reason people swear is because their vocabulary is so limited that they can't express themselves intelligently. That would explain the typical Ute.

Your thoughts?



http://sportsillustrated.asia/vault/article/magazine/MAG1176702/1/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


"The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it." -- George Washington
F
frdbtr
I think I just threw up in my mouth :sick:

Can I just say that I am still glad that he chose to stay up North. I still maintain that Whittingham could not have cleaned up the mess at BYU like Bronco did. yes, they have had an undefeated team once but Bronco has won 2 conference championships and 3 out of the last 4 against utah.
A
ABYUFAN
Austin Murphy is a moron...


True Cougars fans will be pulling for the Utes this Saturday, in hopes of reserving for themselves the pleasure of ruining Utah's perfect season


True Cougar fans want Utah to lose this game and every game



Also this gem...
Utah fans got less upsetabout that rant than they did about a self-righteous pronouncement by Cougars receiver Austin Collie following BYU's last-minute 17--10 victory over the Utes in 2007. "When you're doing what's right, on and off the field," Collie proclaimed, "the Lord steps in and plays a part."


Count the "Max hates me" shirts compared to any shirt about Austin Collie... Murphy has lazily drafted a stupid transition phrase that is simply wrong.





And finally:


Usually. On a recent visit some of the grandchildren got bored and started racing each other across the perfectly manicured lawns. "It was O.K., I suppose," Nancy concludes. "I'm sure Fred didn't mind. There weren't many other people around. And it's not like they were going to wake the dead."



Before long, some of the adults joined in—Race you to that headstone!—including one who is in the process of awakening a giant


OK "weren't MANY other people?" So Kyle's there yelling and racing across the graves of othe people's loved ones and only bothereing a fewgreiving people? Glad he's not the coach of my team.
L
Lawboy
I agree with the assertion that BYU practices were less intense than Utah's, based upon the recruits interviewed and when they attended practice. Were being the key part. BYU has been known for shorter, less intense practices for a while now. They hit less, go in shells more. Until 4 weeks ago that is. Bronco FINALLY raised the intenisty level of his practices. FINALLY. So that part wrung pretty true, based upon the timing of what was viewed. Geeze, even teh players asked for longer more intense practices a couple years back before the LV Bowl. I just hope Bronco keeps this appraoch up, because it is helping his team gt better.
W
Wickchad
Lawboy wrote:
I agree with the assertion that BYU practices were less intense than Utah's, based upon the recruits interviewed and when they attended practice. Were being the key part. BYU has been known for shorter, less intense practices for a while now. They hit less, go in shells more. Until 4 weeks ago that is. Bronco FINALLY raised the intenisty level of his practices. FINALLY. So that part wrung pretty true, based upon the timing of what was viewed. Geeze, even teh players asked for longer more intense practices a couple years back before the LV Bowl. I just hope Bronco keeps this appraoch up, because it is helping his team gt better.


The writer was talking about Crowton's practices. The recruit attended practices at both schools in 2004.



Although I wish BYU did play as intense as Utah does...
Advertisement
B
BTIB
I agree, the article is interesting. I think it is factual in that it was the right choice for Wittingham. Coaching at BYU has different obstacles than coaching anywhere else. Good read.
1
1967cougar
That was very hard to read. But if Obama could sell his line of shizz to so many Americans two years ago, I guess an envious, devious, piece-of-crap writer for SI can try to do the same. They both get stuck with the stink.
B
BTIB
1967cougar wrote:
That was very hard to read. But if Obama could sell his line of shizz to so many Americans two years ago, I guess an envious, devious, piece-of-crap writer for SI can try to do the same. They both get stuck with the stink.


What makes the article "devious" or makes the writer "envious"? What is there about BYU football that would cause anyone to be envious right now?



The point of the article was not to screw BYU, it was to praise what Wittingham has done at Utah. It is very apparent that he did make the right choice.
M
Mars
BTIB wrote:
I think it is factual in that it was the right choice for Wittingham.

IMO, the choice Kyle made says a lot about who Kyle is. Basically, he had a chance to either work FOR the Church or to work AGAINST it. And he seems to relish his job.
C
Cougarfan87
Mars wrote:
I think it is factual in that it was the right choice for Wittingham.

IMO, the choice Kyle made says a lot about who Kyle is. Basically, he had a chance to either work FOR the Church or to work AGAINST it. And he seems to relish his job.


I'm guessing he didn't quite see it in that light. Perhaps he thought, well I can make more money, and thus pay more tithing, and be able to be a good influence on many more non-members than I otherwise would at my alma mater. I have been working here for a while. This team isn't in the dumps (like BYU was at the time). I like Salt Lake. Etc. Etc.



I once thought I wanted to become a full time seminary teacher. I took the classes at BYU to teach seminary, went through my seven day teaching experience, and promptly decided that I wanted to do something else. Does that mean that I did not want to work for the church or that I wanted to work against it? I don't think so. There are many opportunities to do good in the world that are outside of working for BYU or the church for your occupation. KWitt made his choice. I think he is happy with it. Frankly, it doesn't make him a bad person or anti the church. In fact, many of the Church leaders went to that same school, and it is filled with LDS kids.



I guess I am just not following your argument.
Advertisement
M
Mars
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I'm guessing he didn't quite see it in that light. Perhaps he thought, well I can make more money, and thus pay more tithing, and be able to be a good influence on many more non-members than I otherwise would at my alma mater. I have been working here for a while. This team isn't in the dumps (like BYU was at the time). I like Salt Lake. Etc. Etc.
I'm sure there are a thousand ways to justify just about any decision you want to make in life. Doesn't make some decisions right.



Personally, I not a very moderate guy. Austin Collie's decision to ditch BYU and his coaches and teammates early for some money, for example. I tend to have opinions on the extreme end of things. And I think that God is the same way. To him, there's only one right way.



Hey, the day I got married, I didn't even plan on getting a divorce if things didn't work out perfectly, so I'm not like the majority of people.
B
BroncoBot
Cougarfan87 wrote:
BTIB wrote:
I think it is factual in that it was the right choice for Wittingham.

IMO, the choice Kyle made says a lot about who Kyle is. Basically, he had a chance to either work FOR the Church or to work AGAINST it. And he seems to relish his job.


I'm guessing he didn't quite see it in that light. Perhaps he thought, well I can make more money, and thus pay more tithing, and be able to be a good influence on many more non-members than I otherwise would at my alma mater. I have been working here for a while. This team isn't in the dumps (like BYU was at the time). I like Salt Lake. Etc. Etc.



I once thought I wanted to become a full time seminary teacher. I took the classes at BYU to teach seminary, went through my seven day teaching experience, and promptly decided that I wanted to do something else. Does that mean that I did not want to work for the church or that I wanted to work against it? I don't think so. There are many opportunities to do good in the world that are outside of working for BYU or the church for your occupation. KWitt made his choice. I think he is happy with it. Frankly, it doesn't make him a bad person or anti the church. In fact, many of the Church leaders went to that same school, and it is filled with LDS kids.



I guess I am just not following your argument.

I agree with you. Kwitt's not actively fighting the church. Although it's too bad he's turned into a half decent coach at the u.
C
Cougarfan87
Mars wrote:
I'm guessing he didn't quite see it in that light. Perhaps he thought, well I can make more money, and thus pay more tithing, and be able to be a good influence on many more non-members than I otherwise would at my alma mater. I have been working here for a while. This team isn't in the dumps (like BYU was at the time). I like Salt Lake. Etc. Etc.
I'm sure there are a thousand ways to justify just about any decision you want to make in life. Doesn't make some decisions right.



Personally, I not a very moderate guy. Austin Collie's decision to ditch BYU and his coaches and teammates early for some money, for example. I tend to have opinions on the extreme end of things. And I think that God is the same way. To him, there's only one right way.



Hey, the day I got married, I didn't even plan on getting a divorce if things didn't work out perfectly, so I'm not like the majority of people.


Agreed that you are extreme. Recognition is the first step. ;)



Disagree that God is extreme. The adversary is extreme. While there is only one true gospel, God judges each according to their knowledge and understanding while here on earth...not a bright line standard that you either lived it or you didn't. The question is, according to your light and knowledge, did you live the way you should have? If you did, and you accepted the Savior through covenants, and repented when you failed, you are redeemed. More condemning for those with more knowledge who don't repent. Less so for those with less knowledge. That seems to me much more just, merciful, and moderate. But maybe we are just looking at the same thing from two different perspectives.
M
Mars
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Agreed that you are extreme. Recognition is the first step. ;)



Disagree that God is extreme. The adversary is extreme. While there is only one true gospel, God judges each according to their knowledge and understanding while here on earth...not a bright line standard that you either lived it or you didn't. The question is, according to your light and knowledge, did you live the way you should have? If you did, and you accepted the Savior through covenants, and repented when you failed, you are redeemed. More condemning for those with more knowledge who don't repent. Less so for those with less knowledge. That seems to me much more just, merciful, and moderate. But maybe we are just looking at the same thing from two different perspectives.

I don't think being extreme is a bad thing. Joseph Smith was extreme. Mormons are peculiar. So what? Most of the world is grossly off-base.



One sin and you can't make it to heaven on your own, that sounds like a pretty bright line standard to me.



Moderation can be that lukewarm place halfway in between God and Satan. Go to Church, but don't be a goody two-shoes, it's not cool to be TOO religious...
C
Cougarfan87
Like I said, I think we are looking at the same thing from two different perspectives.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.