Archived Topic

Scout team ready to contribute in 2011

by Mars · 11/3/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700078384/BYU-football-BYU-reserves-not-anonymous-to-teammates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



" Coach Bronco Mendenhall has said he's excited about the future of the players who now participate on the scout team. Asked which freshmen players have stood out, Mendenhall replied, "We have a lot of really good young talent that we've redshirted. It's almost a question of who's not (standing out). I don't think we missed on a single freshman recruit. It's a really good class." "
B
BTIB
Mars wrote:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700078384/BYU-football-BYU-reserves-not-anonymous-to-teammates.html



" Coach Bronco Mendenhall has said he's excited about the future of the players who now participate on the scout team. Asked which freshmen players have stood out, Mendenhall replied, "We have a lot of really good young talent that we've redshirted. It's almost a question of who's not (standing out). I don't think we missed on a single freshman recruit. It's a really good class." "


Now the question is: Will Bronco play them or give priority to the seniority of less talented upperclassmen?
F
frdbtr
BTIB wrote:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700078384/BYU-football-BYU-reserves-not-anonymous-to-teammates.html



" Coach Bronco Mendenhall has said he's excited about the future of the players who now participate on the scout team. Asked which freshmen players have stood out, Mendenhall replied, "We have a lot of really good young talent that we've redshirted. It's almost a question of who's not (standing out). I don't think we missed on a single freshman recruit. It's a really good class." "


Now the question is: Will Bronco play them or give priority to the seniority of less talented upperclassmen?


Your accusation is a myth that has no basis in fact.
B
BroncoBot
frdbtr wrote:
Mars wrote:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700078384/BYU-football-BYU-reserves-not-anonymous-to-teammates.html



" Coach Bronco Mendenhall has said he's excited about the future of the players who now participate on the scout team. Asked which freshmen players have stood out, Mendenhall replied, "We have a lot of really good young talent that we've redshirted. It's almost a question of who's not (standing out). I don't think we missed on a single freshman recruit. It's a really good class." "


Now the question is: Will Bronco play them or give priority to the seniority of less talented upperclassmen?


Your accusation is a myth that has no basis in fact.

totally agree with frdbtr. If they are the best person to help the team succeed they'll see the field.
M
Mars
frdbtr wrote:
Your accusation is a myth that has no basis in fact.

Not based on history. He's dead-on.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
It is a cultural issue. Bronco values seniority and experience, and loves to see guys who walk-on or who have been around get their chance. So I do think the is some truth to the fact that younger more talented guys might sit at the expense of guys who worked their way up who might be less talented. Again, it is about effort and commitment and I think Bronco works hard to beat back entitlement, even with his most talented young players. So I think it cuts both ways. It helps the culture of hte program, but at times might affect the result on the field.



BYU does generally play 6-8 freshman a year, though. That really is decent. But I like the approach with this group. They are growing and working together. Bodes well for 2011 and beyond to have such good depth that you have the luxury of redshirting all of your freshman, or a many as possible.
F
frdbtr
Mars wrote:
Your accusation is a myth that has no basis in fact.

Not based on history. He's dead-on.


Is he? I can name you bunches of players that started or played significant minutes as freshman. How many times can you name me otherwise? I'll start with the most obvious this year. Lets start with Jake Heaps.



Ian Dulan

Jan Jorgenson

Russel Tialavea

Ethan Manumaleuna(sp?)

Cody Hoffman

Micheal Reed

Quezada

The Bills kid that played safety that started last year agains FSU (I can't remember his first name)





I am sure I could come up with more if I thought about it.



Bronco has specific guidelines that he requires for a player to start. The player has to know his assignments, has to be assignment sound and make plays. If the player that is doing those things the best is an underclassman then that underclassman will get the start. If the upperclassman is doing those things better but has less athletic ability that is the player that will start
C
craigoscarson
Bronco values execution over raw talent(while talented aren't position sound and are capable of a lethal mistake at any time)... I think you'd have to think very very hard to come up with a name of a player that should have been playing that wasn't; unless you name recruits that we never bagged in the 1st place (i.e. haloti ngata etc.)



Jordan Pendleton was not ready until last year; Shiloah Teo was not ready last year to start ahead of Scotty or Rich. Ogletree wasn't ready to start ahead of Bauman or Nelson (both were dominant at the end of the season for us, particuarly Oregon State)



I really have a hard time thinking of a player that should have been playing much earlier than they did and personally I advocate a redshirt for all freshmen (college transition is hard enough for these kids) as long as the team has the depth to absorb the hit to the 3 deep. I think Oneill Chambers played too soon to be honest; in fact it might have hurt him in terms of his terribly annoying entitlement issues.



Look no further than Florida or Texas if you think that playing talented freshmen will help you win more games than playing lesser talented (yet more experienced) upperclassmen - because they have SUPER FRESHMEN and look terrible every week. We have one major position where we had no choice (qb) and 3/4 of this board cannot stop hammering Heaps for his performance thus far.



Bronco has mastered finding a healthy mix thus far in his career and unfortunately, last year he graduated too many difference makers. The one difference maker he didnt' graduate couldn't keep it in his pants for another year... It happens...
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:
Your accusation is a myth that has no basis in fact.

Not based on history. He's dead-on.

If you believe that someone with a 4 or 5 star next to their name should be starting day 1 I guess you could make a case. Otherwise, I think craigocarson is dead on.
Y
YBrit
The Team Theme: "Scout team ready to contribute in ...."
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
The question is how many of those redshift freshman will make it through four more years of school



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BigCougsFan
33311710 wrote:
The question is how many of those redshift freshman will make it through four more years of school



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Now that's a good problem to have! Unless we can't keep that type of recruiting cycle going... :~(
Y
Y 4 Ever
BigCougsFan wrote:
The question is how many of those redshift freshman will make it through four more years of school



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Now that's a good problem to have! Unless we can't keep that type of recruiting cycle going... :~(


That's not what I mean (harvey, chambers, etc, etc, etc)
L
livin the dream
After clicking on the link, I got a good laugh as I saw the picture of the receiver catching the ball with his eyes closed. I think it might help if BYU's receivers opened their eyes when they are catching the ball? One picture shows the mentality of our receivers all year.



I could be taking the picture out of context, but it still made me laugh.
M
Mars
declocoug wrote:
If you believe that someone with a 4 or 5 star next to their name should be starting day 1 I guess you could make a case. Otherwise, I think craigocarson is dead on.

Yeah, guys like JD Falslev and Matt Marshall, 5 stars apiece. :roll:



Bronco not playing the most talented kids is basically a fact at this point. He simply flat-out doesn't like young kids who are better at football than their elders. It's one of his major weaknesses. And it undeniably hurt the team badly this year with the QB mess.



I have no problems with blueshirts. Guy like Phillips and Tuiloma absolutely SHOULD be blue-shirted. It's playing a kid like Apo or Quezada on special teams and wasting his eligibility for half a season that I have a problem with.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Mars wrote:
If you believe that someone with a 4 or 5 star next to their name should be starting day 1 I guess you could make a case. Otherwise, I think craigocarson is dead on.

Yeah, guys like JD Falslev and Matt Marshall, 5 stars apiece. :roll:



Bronco not playing the most talented kids is basically a fact at this point. He simply flat-out doesn't like young kids who are better at football than their elders. It's one of his major weaknesses. And it undeniably hurt the team badly this year with the QB mess.



I have no problems with blueshirts. Guy like Phillips and Tuiloma absolutely SHOULD be blue-shirted. It's playing a kid like Apo or Quezada on special teams and wasting his eligibility for half a season that I have a problem with.


If Apo wasn't redshirting and Quezada wasn't getting substantial reps with the offense - you might have a point. And APo is redshirting due to season ending injury which leaves Bronco no choice but to redshirt him. SO this is just another example of Bronco being criticized for doing exactly what you say he should be doing.



It seems that those who do not understand the value of experience, maturity, and leadership probably read an article like the one above and miss little qualifying stmts (not mentally ready yet) after they hear what they want to hear (may be the best nose guard to ever play the position at BYU) or you read about a guy's blazing speed and how he seems better than the opponents and miss "he just needs more reps".



The problem with this team this year is not that they need to play even more inexperienced players. The problem is that they do not have more of the experienced players and have had to play too many inexperienced players.



Guys with golden arms and golden legs that do not know where to be and what to do in all circumstances will make costly mistakes like the two freshman mistakes - Heaps Pick 6 and Quezada fumble deep in BYU territory - that nearly turned a blowout win into a loss at home.



When talent and experience converge - then you get magic.
C
Cougarbib
I just read that UNLV has played 23 freshmen this year - gotta go with the talent - u will get a chance to see where that got them Saturday - unless you have already heard - they are about 1-7. I would guess that they would love to have a little more experience to put on the field - especially on defense.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:
If you believe that someone with a 4 or 5 star next to their name should be starting day 1 I guess you could make a case. Otherwise, I think craigocarson is dead on.

Yeah, guys like JD Falslev and Matt Marshall, 5 stars apiece. :roll:



Bronco not playing the most talented kids is basically a fact at this point. He simply flat-out doesn't like young kids who are better at football than their elders. It's one of his major weaknesses. And it undeniably hurt the team badly this year with the QB mess.



I have no problems with blueshirts. Guy like Phillips and Tuiloma absolutely SHOULD be blue-shirted. It's playing a kid like Apo or Quezada on special teams and wasting his eligibility for half a season that I have a problem with.


So you think Bronco likes playing younger guys who are NOT better at football than their elders and that's why he is playing Falslev and Marshall (low recruiting stars) but that he won't play the big recruits because they ARE better than the older players??? That don't make no sense.



About the qb mess. I don't see how Heaps made any case for being the better QB. are you trying to say he should have been named the starter but Bronco just didn't like him because he is younger than Nelson? He sure hasn't proved anything to me during games this year. And Bronco knew that this team was short on leadership meaning that Nelson was the right choice by default. I just wish Nelson was given complete control at the end of spring, but I think Bronco knew we needed a competent backup which is why Heaps is in the situation he is in.



Hasn't Quezada seen the field quite a bit? And for the most part he's done well. Don't know what your beef is there.



Wasn't Apo injured and forced to sit out? Otherwise I have to believe he'd be a major contributor this year.



Again, I'm not following your logic. I was trying to say that some fans want to see the five star (usually completely unproven) studs out there day one because every fiber of their being is testifying to their souls that those recruits would be better than the starters. I don't buy that. You then go on to say that Bronco is not playing the best players (the young ones) but that he has made mistakes by playing other ones? Easy to make that call after the fact isn't it.
C
Cougarfan87
Just to clarify, Bronco didn't choose Heaps or Nelson. He allowed Anae and Doman to come up with the two QB fiasco, for which he has properly accepted the blame. I am not sure he has indicated anywhere who he would have chosen if he were going with just one starter. I could be wrong.
B
BroncoBot
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Just to clarify, Bronco didn't choose Heaps or Nelson. He allowed Anae and Doman to come up with the two QB fiasco, for which he has properly accepted the blame. I am not sure he has indicated anywhere who he would have chosen if he were going with just one starter. I could be wrong.

Well, then he should have stepped in (apparently he is the only leader at BYU right now) and told the OCs that Nelson would be starter because of his leadership. eh, 20/20.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.