Archived Topic

Heaps against UNLV

by hawkwing · 11/1/2010

Advertisement
G
Guest
This post is not a thread about blame or past results, rather, I'd like to see what peoples predictions are for Heaps against UNLV. Please answer each of these questions with the following information.

a. Passer Efficiency Rating

b. Completion Percentage

c. Yards

d. TDs

E. Picks



1. What do you expect Heaps to do against UNLV?



2. What would be a "breakout" game?



3. What would be a good game?



4. What would be a bad game?



5. What would be a benchable game (a performance so bad he should be benched -- okay to say none)?
G
Guest
I'll go first...
hawkwing wrote:

a. Passer Efficiency Rating

b. Completion Percentage

c. Yards

d. TDs

E. Picks


1. What do you expect Heaps to do against UNLV?

a. 115

b. 55%

c. 220

d. 2

e. 1


hawkwing wrote:
2. What would be a "breakout" game?

a. 145

b. 65%

c. 320

d. 4

e. 0


hawkwing wrote:
3. What would be a good game?

a. 120

b. 60%

c. 275

d. 2

e. 1


hawkwing wrote:
4. What would be a bad game?

a. 99

b. 50%

c. 199

d. 1

e. 2



5. What would be a benchable game (a performance so bad he should be benched -- okay to say none)?

a. 85

b. 45%

c. 175

d. 0

e. 3
L
Lawboy
a. Passer Efficiency Rating--140

b. Completion Percentage-60%

c. Yards-180

d. TDs-2

E. Picks 1



1. What do you expect Heaps to do against UNLV?

WIN

2. What would be a "breakout" game?

WIN, and show some improvement in the passing game.

3. What would be a good game?

An easy win for a change.

4. What would be a bad game?

A close game.

5. What would be a benchable game (a performance so bad he should be benched -- okay to say none)? Do what Max Hall did yesterday--2 early picks to kill your team with points for UNLV--and you have to see what lark can do.
G
Guest
I'll go first...
hawkwing wrote:

a. Passer Efficiency Rating

b. Completion Percentage

c. Yards

d. TDs

E. Picks



1. What do you expect Heaps to do against UNLV?

a. 115

b. 55%

c. 220

d. 2

e. 1


hawkwing wrote:
2. What would be a "breakout" game?

a. 145

b. 65%

c. 320

d. 4

e. 0


hawkwing wrote:
3. What would be a good game?

a. 120

b. 60%

c. 275

d. 2

e. 1


hawkwing wrote:
4. What would be a bad game?

a. 99

b. 50%

c. 199

d. 1

e. 2



5. What would be a benchable game (a performance so bad he should be benched -- okay to say none)?[/quote]

a. 85

b. 45%

c. 175

d. 0

e. 3
F
frdbtr
hawkwing wrote:
This post is not a thread about blame or past results, rather, I'd like to see what peoples predictions are for Heaps against UNLV. Please answer each of these questions with the following information.

a. Passer Efficiency Rating

b. Completion Percentage

c. Yards

d. TDs

E. Picks



1. What do you expect Heaps to do against UNLV?



2. What would be a "breakout" game?



3. What would be a good game?



4. What would be a bad game?



5. What would be a benchable game (a performance so bad he should be benched -- okay to say none)?




I expect more of the same of what we have seen. I expect a PER of around 100, 1 TD with 1 interception with maybe a pick 6. I expect his completion percentage to be right around 50%.



A breakout game would be a PER in the 120's with 1-2 TD's with no interceptions, 55-60% completion ratio.



A benchable game would be to throw another pick 6 with no TD passes and a loss against UNLV.
Advertisement
J
jmrmoney
a. 110 +

b. completion % over 60

c. 301

d. 3 TDs

4. no picks





I expect the team to win by at least 17 points against UNLV

a break-out game would be over 300 yards, no int, at least 3 TDs

a good game: 200-300 yards, with 1 pick and 2 TDs, comp % mid 50s

a bad game would be under 150 yards with more picks than TDs.

a benchable game: under 40 yards; 30% comp; 2+ int, no TDs



I expect him and the entire offense to have a breakout game. Overall, we must win the game; stats come second. The only stat that matters is final score. We need to get to a bowl game this year. Those 20 extra practices will be crucial for this young team.
B
Brayden Green
By the way, while we are all talking about PER's does everyone know that the PER for the NFL and college are different? They are different formulas, just thought you should all know that. Kittic, do you use the college one? (I assume you do).
S
SpiffCoug
BlueIsBetter wrote:
By the way, while we are all talking about PER's does everyone know that the PER for the NFL and college are different? They are different formulas, just thought you should all know that. Kittic, do you use the college one? (I assume you do).

Yes, I do know they are different and yes, I have been using the college one. I don't like the NFL. It's not nearly as accurate when predicting results as the college formula. Heaps' rating in the high 80s or low 90s would be decent in the NFL. But it's extremely poor, as has been noted on multiple occassions, for the college game.
S
SpiffCoug
a. Passer Efficiency Rating

b. Completion Percentage

c. Yards

d. TDs

E. Picks


1. What do you expect Heaps to do against UNLV?

a. 115

b. 50%

c. 140

d. 1

e. 1


2. What would be a "breakout" game?

a. 162

b. 65%

c. 300

d. 3

e. 0


3. What would be a good game?

a. 124

b. 55%

c. 275

d. 2

e. 1


4. What would be a bad game?

a. 98

b. 50%

c. 99

d. 1

e. 1



5. What would be a benchable game (a performance so bad he should be benched -- okay to say none)?a. 60

b. 45%

c. 100

d. 0

e. 2
C
Cougarbib
To save myself and the readers time - I pretty much agree with Hawk's numbers except for me a good game and a breakout game are one and the same. I agree with the numbers Hawk posted for a good game. If we see a good game out of Heaps Saturday, I am willing to call that a breakout of sorts. Then he can build on that over time.



Benchable for me has two parts. If he is bad enough - name a new starter. If he is about where Hawk put, give Lark the 2nd half or 4th quarter, and then give Heaps another shot to start Vs CSU. If Heaps struggles Vs CSU badly enough, turn it over to Lark again and let Lark start Vs New Mexico. Of course that is all assuming Lark shows anything encouraging Vs UNLV. If Lark doesn't show anything encouraging - consider it to have been something we tried on a Lark and just go back to Heaps.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
They will be the same numbers as he's put up all year: poor to mediocre.
M
Mars
Schmoe wrote:
They will be the same numbers as he's put up all year: poor to mediocre.

Yup. Reflective of his poor to mediocre Offensive Coordinator.



Give Doman the coaching reins, and Jake's PER may jump 20-30 spots overnight.
F
frdbtr
Mars wrote:
They will be the same numbers as he's put up all year: poor to mediocre.

Yup. Reflective of his poor to mediocre Offensive Coordinator.



Give Doman the coaching reins, and Jake's PER may jump 20-30 spots overnight.


Could you name me the evidence of this? I am not the biggest Robert Anae fan but since BYU has gone to a run first game plan, I have thought the play calling was adequate for what we have been trying to do and Heaps still misses badly on some of the throws he should be hitting in his sleep. I just don't see how calling longer throws is going to increase his accuracy.
I
IndiCoug
Mars wrote:
They will be the same numbers as he's put up all year: poor to mediocre.

Yup. Reflective of his poor to mediocre Offensive Coordinator.



Give Doman the coaching reins, and Jake's PER may jump 20-30 spots overnight.


Totally agree with you Mars. What makes people think we are all the sudden going to go away from the running game and start passing? It's not going to happen. I'm looking at 15 to 20 attempts this week and who knows how many will be caught. :blush:

If Anae was concerned about getting Heaps in a rytheme you would see him pass out to the flats to start the game (get some easy completions). Remember, 2 ingredents to the passing game --- QB and Recievers. Does anyone have faith in our recievers to warrent an old fashion passing game???? Didn't think so!!
F
frdbtr
IndiCoug wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
They will be the same numbers as he's put up all year: poor to mediocre.

Yup. Reflective of his poor to mediocre Offensive Coordinator.



Give Doman the coaching reins, and Jake's PER may jump 20-30 spots overnight.


Totally agree with you Mars. What makes people think we are all the sudden going to go away from the running game and start passing? It's not going to happen. I'm looking at 15 to 20 attempts this week and who knows how many will be caught. :blush:

If Anae was concerned about getting Heaps in a rytheme you would see him pass out to the flats to start the game (get some easy completions). Remember, 2 ingredents to the passing game --- QB and Recievers. Does anyone have faith in our recievers to warrent an old fashion passing game???? Didn't think so!!


Great Idea! Problem is, Heaps misses those passes to the flat on a consistant basis, he also misses short screen passes and throws over the heads of RB's running out from the backfield. Remember the pick 6 in the Wyoming game? Pass to the flat.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Broken record.
F
frdbtr
A broken record pointing out the obvious. Everyone that is blaming Robert Anae wants him to start calling a more advanced passing game but my question to you all is; how is he supposed to trust Heaps with a more advanced passing game when he is failing to execute the simple one that is currently being implemented? Everyone says that BYU needs to pass the ball over the middle more but that adds risk since a dropped/ tipped pass can result in interceptions since you are throwing into the heart of the defense. If/when Heaps starts accurately throwing in his short game, I anticipate you will see more throws down field and maybe even over the middle. Until then, you all will have to keep blaming someone other then your golden boy and I assume that Robert Anae will continue to be the scape goat.
L
Lawboy
Your tone is so ridiculously negative and slanted towards Heaps, it is a joke, and I have a hard time believing you are even a BYU fan. He is a 19 year old kid, for crying out loud. You act like you hate the kid who starts for your team--a college kid. Go read your posts--you are a broken record. No one can come in and even state the obvious about Jake(he is truggling, but Anae's play calling does suck and is not helping him) without you piling on your negativity. You are the fan Bronco talks about.
F
frdbtr
Lawboy wrote:
Your tone is so ridiculously negative and slanted towards Heaps, it is a joke, and I have a hard time believing you are even a BYU fan. He is a 19 year old kid, for crying out loud. You act like you hate the kid who starts for your team--a college kid. Go read your posts--you are a broken record. No one can come in and even state the obvious about Jake(he is truggling, but Anae's play calling does suck and is not helping him) without you piling on your negativity. You are the fan Bronco talks about.


You are reading into my posts exactly what you want to read which is negativity. When in actuality, I am just pointing out what is happening and clarifying in my posts that I hope to see the improvement that I believe is there. I can't say that I think that Heaps is going to have a break out game until he does. When it happens I will be there chearing him on just like I did with Beck and Hall. If you doubt that I am a BYU fan, you have not been reading my posts on this board for very long, or you have only read what I have written about Heaps. I have said since last summer that I was hoping that someone would step up and force the coaches to redshirt Heaps because of what I have seen in college football over the years when a young/talented QB starts before he is ready and what I was afraid of has happened. Heaps best game this year was against Washington and the failures that he has experienced has caused him to play tentative and afraid (without confidence) and now he is missing throws in games that he used to make in his sleep in High school. I wish that things had turned out different and frankly, if I am blaming coaches for the offenses play this year, it is rooted in the decision to not redshirt the freshman and start him this year. Currently the Coaches are playing the hand that they have been dealt which is trying to baby step Heaps back to the confidence that we would have seen from him when his real turn to start would have been if he had redshirted this year.
C
Cougarfan87
frdbtr wrote:
A broken record pointing out the obvious. Everyone that is blaming Robert Anae wants him to start calling a more advanced passing game but my question to you all is; how is he supposed to trust Heaps with a more advanced passing game when he is failing to execute the simple one that is currently being implemented? Everyone says that BYU needs to pass the ball over the middle more but that adds risk since a dropped/ tipped pass can result in interceptions since you are throwing into the heart of the defense. If/when Heaps starts accurately throwing in his short game, I anticipate you will see more throws down field and maybe even over the middle. Until then, you all will have to keep blaming someone other then your golden boy and I assume that Robert Anae will continue to be the scape goat.


But you just got on someone for suggesting they start Heaps on passes to the flats since he has missed those in the past, but then you argue that Anae can't move on to the more advanced passing game until he gets those passes to the flats down. So are you suggesting he should not pass at all?
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.