Archived Topic

What Will We See vs UNLV :-)

by byucougar1 · 11/1/2010

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Watch for Offense to Step Up and not only run power I (bread and butter - our strength) but more play action pass with Heaps having a chance to utilize his ability to sell the handoff.



Defense might pitch a shutout given the improvement that they have made over last couple of games.
C
Cougs_Rule
I like the optimism. Its also seems conventional.

No LArk from you?
C
Cougy_Monster
Your post makes sense, which is why it won't happen with Anae calling the shots.



I have absolutely no confidence in Anae's ability to lead our offense. I wish I could vote for a new OC on Tuesday.
C
Cougarbib
WHo would you vote for Cougy - please only vote for candidates that want the job - and are likely to do a better job
C
Cougarbib
BYU will try to run the ball down UNLV's throat like Utah did with Air Force on their first drive. Some might argue that Utah's OC went away from that too soon. Quite frankly, I am sure Utah and AFA fans are questioning several OC calls from that game. Always easy to 2nd guess when what they call doesn't work and you assume that what you would have called would have worked. I digress. Enough play action dink and dunk with 1 or 2 tries per half to go over the top on UNLV just to keep them honest.



UNLV will try to stuff the run and make Jake Heaps beat them with his arm. Fortunately, UNLV will not be able to fully stuff the run. They will slow it down and make BYU punt, but BYU will run clock, move the chains, win the field position battle, and score 27 points. Jake will not be razor sharp, nor will his receivers, but Heaps and company will play well enough for BYU to win at home.



BYU will use the same defensive strategy as UNLV. BYU will be able to stuff the running attack. UNLV will have some success with the passing game, but it will be sporadic and not enough to win the game on the road. UNLV will burn us deep once or twice.



I don't think we will dominate UNLV enough to see Lark get any back-up reps or if he does, he will just be handing the ball off. That is too bad. How many D1 programs do you know of that do not have a back-up QB that has ever taken a D1 snap. Well, I guess we could run the option the rest of the season if Heaps sprains a finger.
Advertisement
I
Italics
I think Heaps will have a great chance here to gain some confidence. UNLV's defense sucks, and I expect this to be somewhat of a "coming out" game for Heaps... although it will be mainly b/c of the opponent.



Just hope our defense keeps up the hype. Seems like every time the fans think BYU finally has a powerhouse defense, the D completely lets us down. Hope the last couple games weren't a fluke.
C
CougarClaw
Italics wrote:
I think Heaps will have a great chance here to gain some confidence. UNLV's defense sucks, and I expect this to be somewhat of a "coming out" game for Heaps... although it will be mainly b/c of the opponent.



Just hope our defense keeps up the hype. Seems like every time the fans think BYU finally has a powerhouse defense, the D completely lets us down. Hope the last couple games weren't a fluke.


i hope your right, but I've heard someone say "coming out game"and "open the playbook" or "let him loose" just about every game this season;. I think we're all still waiting.
F
frdbtr
I expect the defense to play well, I expect to see Heaps throw, High, low, wide and behind his recievers all day. I expect to see recievers drop these throws and for everyone here to blame them and Robert Anae for the inept passing game. I expect Heaps to have aprox 100 yards passing and BYU to get over 200 yards rushing again. I expect to see 1 TD pass to BYU's offense and maybe another to UNLV's defense, and for Heaps PER to be around 100 again. Hopefully, BYU will win the game with the defense saving it for us again like we saw against Wyoming.
B
blue42
Italics wrote:
I think Heaps will have a great chance here to gain some confidence. UNLV's defense sucks, and I expect this to be somewhat of a "coming out" game for Heaps... although it will be mainly b/c of the opponent.


Does it suck as much as Wyomings? We all thought he was going to break out in that game but didn't even pass for 100 yards. I would love for him to have a break out game but hasn't shown it yet, so I don't expect it this week either.
B
Brayden Green
frdbtr wrote:
I expect the defense to play well, I expect to see Heaps throw, High, low, wide and behind his recievers all day. I expect to see recievers drop these throws and for everyone here to blame them and Robert Anae for the inept passing game. I expect Heaps to have aprox 100 yards passing and BYU to get over 200 yards rushing again. I expect to see 1 TD pass to BYU's offense and maybe another to UNLV's defense, and for Heaps PER to be around 100 again. Hopefully, BYU will win the game with the defense saving it for us again like we saw against Wyoming.


Is this serious?
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Cougarbib2 wrote:
WHo would you vote for Cougy - please only vote for candidates that want the job - and are likely to do a better job


Doman

Detmer

just about anyone from the TCU staff

just about anyone from the :utard: s staff

just about anyone from SDSU s team,

Chad Lewis



Elmo

The Fonz

The "Time to make the Donuts" guy



there are other candidates too, and any of them would beat out Anae for the OC and TE position. And on a serious note, anyone getting paid 70,000 a year would jump at a chance to make 200,000 a year and continue coaching a game for a living rather than join up in corporate america. Are you even serious?
F
frdbtr
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I expect the defense to play well, I expect to see Heaps throw, High, low, wide and behind his recievers all day. I expect to see recievers drop these throws and for everyone here to blame them and Robert Anae for the inept passing game. I expect Heaps to have aprox 100 yards passing and BYU to get over 200 yards rushing again. I expect to see 1 TD pass to BYU's offense and maybe another to UNLV's defense, and for Heaps PER to be around 100 again. Hopefully, BYU will win the game with the defense saving it for us again like we saw against Wyoming.


Is this serious?


Based on what we have seen from him so far...yes.
B
Brayden Green
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
I expect the defense to play well, I expect to see Heaps throw, High, low, wide and behind his recievers all day. I expect to see recievers drop these throws and for everyone here to blame them and Robert Anae for the inept passing game. I expect Heaps to have aprox 100 yards passing and BYU to get over 200 yards rushing again. I expect to see 1 TD pass to BYU's offense and maybe another to UNLV's defense, and for Heaps PER to be around 100 again. Hopefully, BYU will win the game with the defense saving it for us again like we saw against Wyoming.


Is this serious?


Based on what we have seen from him so far...yes.


What YOU have seen from him.



I guess this is coming from the guy picking the cowboys to win every week, without Romo.



You really are siding with Anae and the receivers on this one?



Chad Lewis said it best. "Surround yourself with ..." what was it, half heartedness and non-effort? And an ignorance (and I use that word to it's fullest extent to describe Anae) beyond all reason? "And that's another McKay..... duck down!"



12 yards.
J
jonnylingo
CougarClaw wrote:
I think Heaps will have a great chance here to gain some confidence. UNLV's defense sucks, and I expect this to be somewhat of a "coming out" game for Heaps... although it will be mainly b/c of the opponent.



Just hope our defense keeps up the hype. Seems like every time the fans think BYU finally has a powerhouse defense, the D completely lets us down. Hope the last couple games weren't a fluke.


i hope your right, but I've heard someone say "coming out game"and "open the playbook" or "let him loose" just about every game this season;. I think we're all still waiting.


This is my line of thinking as well. We hear this every week. "This week our offense will finally put it together......." I see us being about the same with our defense really stepping up. Our offense wil do enough to win but the passing game will continue to suck. I see jake connecting with a few more deep balls this game however.
F
frdbtr
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I expect the defense to play well, I expect to see Heaps throw, High, low, wide and behind his recievers all day. I expect to see recievers drop these throws and for everyone here to blame them and Robert Anae for the inept passing game. I expect Heaps to have aprox 100 yards passing and BYU to get over 200 yards rushing again. I expect to see 1 TD pass to BYU's offense and maybe another to UNLV's defense, and for Heaps PER to be around 100 again. Hopefully, BYU will win the game with the defense saving it for us again like we saw against Wyoming.


Is this serious?


Based on what we have seen from him so far...yes.


What YOU have seen from him.



I guess this is coming from the guy picking the cowboys to win every week, without Romo.



You really are siding with Anae and the receivers on this one?



Chad Lewis said it best. "Surround yourself with ..." what was it, half heartedness and non-effort? And an ignorance (and I use that word to it's fullest extent to describe Anae) beyond all reason? "And that's another McKay..... duck down!"


Do I know you? Do you know who I pick to win every week? Who says I have "sided" with anyone about anything in this offense? I haven't sided with anyone, i think that the whole system has broke this year, starting with the stupid idea to run 2 qb's this year instead of redshirt Heaps which is what should have happened. I have said it multiple times that I think Heaps has lost his confidence and that is why he is playing poorly. It happens more often then not when you start a guy straight out of high school before he is ready. Do I think that Heaps is playing as good as he is capable? Absolutely not but that doesn't change the fact that he is playing poorly. Yes, the recievers and Coaching are part of the problem but that still doesn't change the fact that Heaps is also missing on throws that any average QB would normally be making in his sleep.
Advertisement
G
Guest
CougarClaw wrote:
I think Heaps will have a great chance here to gain some confidence. UNLV's defense sucks, and I expect this to be somewhat of a "coming out" game for Heaps... although it will be mainly b/c of the opponent.



Just hope our defense keeps up the hype. Seems like every time the fans think BYU finally has a powerhouse defense, the D completely lets us down. Hope the last couple games weren't a fluke.


i hope your right, but I've heard someone say "coming out game"and "open the playbook" or "let him loose" just about every game this season;. I think we're all still waiting.


We were all thinking that the patsies of Wyoming would give Jake a good chance to let us see what he could do (and on 2 passes he really did and on 1 he really showed us the other side too). This week though we also play a weak defense but with the addition of the bye week if we don't see some real improvement from Heaps we wont see it at all this year and probably wont go bowling.



But, I think we will see a more confident Heaps and some real improvement. Yes, I have my blue goggles on tightly!
B
BroncoBot
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I expect the defense to play well, I expect to see Heaps throw, High, low, wide and behind his recievers all day. I expect to see recievers drop these throws and for everyone here to blame them and Robert Anae for the inept passing game. I expect Heaps to have aprox 100 yards passing and BYU to get over 200 yards rushing again. I expect to see 1 TD pass to BYU's offense and maybe another to UNLV's defense, and for Heaps PER to be around 100 again. Hopefully, BYU will win the game with the defense saving it for us again like we saw against Wyoming.


Is this serious?


Based on what we have seen from him so far...yes.


What YOU have seen from him.



I guess this is coming from the guy picking the cowboys to win every week, without Romo.



You really are siding with Anae and the receivers on this one?



Chad Lewis said it best. "Surround yourself with ..." what was it, half heartedness and non-effort? And an ignorance (and I use that word to it's fullest extent to describe Anae) beyond all reason? "And that's another McKay..... duck down!"



12 yards.

When frdbtr said WE, he also included me. I've seen less than a baker's dozen good throws. The rest have been sub par. I'm not solely blaming Heaps, but you've got to open your eyes a bit and examine the bigger picture.



Why should WE expect UNLV to be an easier game than Wyoming based on QB performance so far?



And I hate to keep bringing this up to you 12 yarders out there, but Jake Heaps was the QB for that first half and threw that nasty, demoralizing int to the TCU linebacker in open space right before the half. I don't see how that strengthens your position of "Jake isn't to blame here".
B
Brayden Green
declocoug wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
I expect the defense to play well, I expect to see Heaps throw, High, low, wide and behind his recievers all day. I expect to see recievers drop these throws and for everyone here to blame them and Robert Anae for the inept passing game. I expect Heaps to have aprox 100 yards passing and BYU to get over 200 yards rushing again. I expect to see 1 TD pass to BYU's offense and maybe another to UNLV's defense, and for Heaps PER to be around 100 again. Hopefully, BYU will win the game with the defense saving it for us again like we saw against Wyoming.


Is this serious?


Based on what we have seen from him so far...yes.


What YOU have seen from him.



I guess this is coming from the guy picking the cowboys to win every week, without Romo.



You really are siding with Anae and the receivers on this one?



Chad Lewis said it best. "Surround yourself with ..." what was it, half heartedness and non-effort? And an ignorance (and I use that word to it's fullest extent to describe Anae) beyond all reason? "And that's another McKay..... duck down!"



12 yards.

When frdbtr said WE, he also included me. I've seen less than a baker's dozen good throws. The rest have been sub par. I'm not solely blaming Heaps, but you've got to open your eyes a bit and examine the bigger picture.



Why should WE expect UNLV to be an easier game than Wyoming based on QB performance so far?



And I hate to keep bringing this up to you 12 yarders out there, but Jake Heaps was the QB for that first half and threw that nasty, demoralizing int to the TCU linebacker in open space right before the half. I don't see how that strengthens your position of "Jake isn't to blame here..


You've seen less than 13 good throws from Jake? Interesting... You are probably right then. I mean, less than 13 isn't very much. And by good, do you mean catchable? Are you saying that you have seen less than 13 catchable throws by Jake?



Jake threw the pick because he was throwing right before the half. Yes, he physically threw it and not Anae, but when you run run run punt one series before the half, then with a minute left come out and throw throw throw on your 15, how do you think you are going to do? Really, you're making yourselves look ridiculous. Yeah Jake threw it, but Anae all but giftwrapped it to them. Just another case of our coaches putting guys in terrible position to succeed, and then blaming the players for not "executing" on said terrible positions.



You want to know why the defense is so much better in even a week's difference? It is because Bronco actually puts his guys where they need to be. Having your BEST TACKLER by a mile - Andrew Rich - 18 yards off the line against a pure running team (Nevada and Air Force) is inexcusable. Move him into the 8-12 yard range and suddenly he is our leading tackler the last 3 weeks. It makes no sense to have the cb's and the safety play WAAAAAY off the ball at the same time against a running team, just as it makes no sense to run run run - punt with 2 mins to go in the half - stop them in your redzone, and then turn around and throw throw throw.



You can blame the chess pieces all you want, or you can blame the people actually moving them.



Both are to blame, but the coaches first and foremost should get theirs. Blaming Jake entirely makes as much sense as blaming Richard Wilson for not playing the last 3 games because he is on Anae's "bad list" all because he expects to be treated like any normal team would treat a player. With a depth chart that you move up and down on...
B
BroncoBot
Sorry I forgot you can't expect D1 athletes to throw it 3 times in a row without getting picked. It was a freshman mistake, admit it. He didn't see the LB in the flats and he (Jake Heaps) gift wrapped 7 points for TCU right before half. He took a risk and didn't get enough air under the ball (bad decision on your own 15) or he just didn't see the guy (also bad deicision on your own 15). It would be like saving the ball under your own hoop in basketball, just a rookie mistake. And Heaps makes plenty of them, that's all I'M saying.



Had JJ fumbled right before halftime on the 15 your would STILL think Anae is an idiot. Sure, Anae should have decided to take a knee. Then other fans would claim he is too vANAElla. BUT, all you can do is argue that Heaps was not to blame for any of this. This is because you let yourself believe that only you are right, and for whatever reason, Heaps doesn't make mistakes in your opinion.



I just hope Heaps is learning from these mistakes and working hard to correct them and doesn't fall int the "not my fault" attitude trap that his biggest fans have for him.
T
tmoney35
apparently Vegas expects to see quite a lot from us vs UNLV



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/byusports/50581178-65/cougars-byu-game-week.html.csp



We're 18 point favorites...which is surprising being that we're only averaging 16 points per game.



This comment on the article made me smile


The Utes are 6th and still the national media would rather cover the tds, Please Jim Rome shut up about how classy the tds stadium, fanz and team are. And tds has to admit their schedule is not one of the best in the nation, neither is next years.


:utard: have a top 10 team and they're still jealous of us. 8)
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.