Archived Topic

Is Oregon BYU 2001?

by SpiffCoug · 10/31/2010

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
They've given up 26 points a game they're last five games. They've given up 30 points four times. They're offense is extremely explosive that can score very quickly. Are they similar to BYU in 2001 where their offense is covering up myriad defensive problems? Or am I reading too much into it?
N
northerncougar
I think you are right on. If Oregon was truly a #1 or #2 team they should have easily handle USC yesterday. I am impressed with their offense, not their defense.
K
kfilly20
Oregon will not go undefeated this year
C
CAFB_04-12
As long as they're scoring 55-60 points, I think they will go undefeated. Who else in the country can score like that?
S
StatsCougar
Auburn has the same problems. They score alot, but have no defense. I doubt either will be undefeated.
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
In 2001, BYU was giving up 25+ points to UNLV, UNM, Tulane, and Wyoming. Oregon is giving up 25+ points to ASU, #9 Stanford, and USC. Sorry, not comparable. 2010 Oregon would pound 2001 BYU into the turf. That said, I'll always hate Oregon.
Y
Y 4 Ever
kfilly20 wrote:
Oregon will not go undefeated this year


Who are they going to lose to? The only way I see Oregon losing game is:



1. Key injury - James, or the QB



2. In the national title game



And that's about it.
K
kfilly20
33311710 wrote:
Oregon will not go undefeated this year


Who are they going to lose to? The only way I see Oregon losing game is:



1. Key injury - James, or the QB



2. In the national title game



And that's about it.


They still have to play Oregon St and Arizona remember, and even though washington sucks ass they seem to have a knack for pulling off big upsets
A
a1247
33311710 wrote:
In 2001, BYU was giving up 25+ points to UNLV, UNM, Tulane, and Wyoming. Oregon is giving up 25+ points to ASU, #9 Stanford, and USC. Sorry, not comparable. 2010 Oregon would pound 2001 BYU into the turf. That said, I'll always hate Oregon.


This is the best answer as to why Oregon is not like the 2001 BYU team. Good info and facts.
Y
Y 4 Ever
kfilly20 wrote:
kfilly20 wrote:
Oregon will not go undefeated this year


Who are they going to lose to? The only way I see Oregon losing game is:



1. Key injury - James, or the QB



2. In the national title game



And that's about it.


They still have to play Oregon St and Arizona remember, and even though washington sucks ass they seem to have a knack for pulling off big upsets


I don't see them losing to any of those teams. Or even having close games. Oregon will be playing for the title this year, barring a catastrophic injury.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I see Oregon v. Auburn is the NC game. I think it will be like 63-62 final, with 2 of the worst defenses and best offenses to ever square off in the title game.
M
Mars
Lawboy wrote:
I see Oregon v. Auburn is the NC game. I think it will be like 63-62 final, with 2 of the worst defenses and best offenses to ever square off in the title game.

Agreed. Auburn-Oregon BCS title game. Someone wins 48-45.
W
Wickchad
Lawboy wrote:
I see Oregon v. Auburn is the NC game. I think it will be like 63-62 final, with 2 of the worst defenses and best offenses to ever square off in the title game.

That's what everyone will expect and then it will be a final of 13-7.
S
SpiffCoug
33311710 wrote:
Who are they going to lose to? The only way I see Oregon losing game is:



1. Key injury - James, or the QB



2. In the national title game



And that's about it.

So basically what happened to BYU when we lost Staley at the end of the Mississippi St game and then Doman in the Hawaii game.



I'll never be convinced otherwise. We still scored 45 points with Ned Stearns - NED STEARNS - as our feature back! We fumbled nine - NINE - times! And still "only" lost by by 27 points. You can't tell me Staley wouldn't have been good for at least four touchdowns in that game. In fact, Staley probably could have scored six or seven touchdowns and he would have prevented at least four of those fumbles.



If Crowton calls one of his two remaining timeouts against MSU, the play before Staley gets hurt, to get him breather, since he basically single-handedly brought BYU down the field and into FG range, he may not get hurt.



But alas, what's done is done. And I still believe a BYU w/ Staley beats Hawaii.
Y
Y 4 Ever
kitic77 wrote:
Who are they going to lose to? The only way I see Oregon losing game is:



1. Key injury - James, or the QB



2. In the national title game



And that's about it.

So basically what happened to BYU when we lost Staley at the end of the Mississippi St game and then Doman in the Hawaii game.



I'll never be convinced otherwise. We still scored 45 points with Ned Stearns - NED STEARNS - as our feature back! We fumbled nine - NINE - times! And still "only" lost by by 27 points. You can't tell me Staley wouldn't have been good for at least four touchdowns in that game. In fact, Staley probably could have scored six or seven touchdowns and he would have prevented at least four of those fumbles.



If Crowton calls one of his two remaining timeouts against MSU, the play before Staley gets hurt, to get him breather, since he basically single-handedly brought BYU down the field and into FG range, he may not get hurt.



But alas, what's done is done. And I still believe a BYU w/ Staley beats Hawaii.


I agree 100%. BYU would have beaten Hawaii with Staley. And it didn't help that the BCS told BYU BEFORE the game that they were out. No one will ever convince me that they didn't do that on purpose to demoralize BYU and hope that helped them lose in Hawaii. Guess their evil plan worked.



But I still think that to compare 2001 BYU to 2010 Oregon is ridiculous. Or even 2001 BYU to 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 BYU. IMO, the 2001 BYU team was the 5th best BYU team of the decade. Great offense, featuring who I consider to be the best "non-QB" football player to ever come through BYU (Staley), but that D was atrocious.
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
Lawboy wrote:
I see Oregon v. Auburn is the NC game. I think it will be like 63-62 final, with 2 of the worst defenses and best offenses to ever square off in the title game.


Hmmm....I don't know that I'd pick Auburn to beat Bama. I think we'll see an Oregon/Bama title game, with an outside shot at Oregon/TCU.
M
mtnradio
33311710 wrote:
33311710 wrote:
Oregon will not go undefeated this year


Who are they going to lose to? The only way I see Oregon losing game is:



1. Key injury - James, or the QB



2. In the national title game



And that's about it.


They still have to play Oregon St and Arizona remember, and even though washington sucks ass they seem to have a knack for pulling off big upsets


I don't see them losing to any of those teams. Or even having close games. Oregon will be playing for the title this year, barring a catastrophic injury.


Unfortunately, you are probably right. I hate Oregon :sick: ... but they are the best in the PAC ... I would love to see TCU or BSU get a shot at them!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.