Archived Topic

COMPARING HEAPS TO OTHER TRUE FRESHMEN WHO HAVE STARTED

by Alphaleonis · 10/31/2010

Advertisement
A
Alphaleonis
The length of the thread title I wanted was too long to fit in the headline. Here it is: COMPARING HEAPS TO OTHER TRUE FRESHMEN WHO HAVE STARTED AT BYU WITH THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS: 1) TEAM STARTS WITH THE WORST DC IN THE PREVIOUS 40 YEARS, 2) TEAM HAS THE WORST OC IN THE PAST 40 YEARS, 3) 5 OF THE FIRST 7 OPPONENTS ON THE SCHEDULE ARE AT SOME TIME DURING THE SEASON RANKED IN THE TOP 25.



Just wanted to make a discussion thread with a long title and a very short (I hope) discussion. My point being that Heaps is the only one in this (or any other category) when comparing QB stats, be they PER or won/loss record.



Heaps is the only one in this category, so he is automatically the best and the worst. Who are the other true freshmen who have started at BYU? Have there been any?



I know the 3 other points are debatable (I'm not sure AF or SDSU have been in the top 25,but I think AF was early, and SDSU may be if they won today. The 3rd point is simply saying that the early part of our schedule this year was much harder than most years.)



I'm simply trying to make a point that the club Heaps is in is very, very small - even if you leave out the debatable 3 points. I think he is the only true freshman to have ever started, tho I may be wrong.
A
Alphaleonis
My apologies for the caps in the title. First thread I have started on this site. I'm a true freshman at this task - please excuse the frosh mistake.
C
cougman
Great post! Heaps is absolved of any poor play. He maintains his "anointed one" status he obtained when he signed. Just wait til we get to the "cupcake" part of the schedule where he can tear it up. Like Wyoming...
Y
YBrit
I just want wins, I don't care how we get them. I'll take 13 wins a season with 25 offensive yards, I'll take 9 wins with 500+ yards a game. I'll take 6 wins with 0 yards a game.

Whoever is on the field, just get me those Ws and you'll get your $s
C
Cougs_Rule
Alpha, welcome to the ya-ya jake Heaps sisterhood. (I can explain if you need or haven't been following the other freshman qb thread).



Drew Miller is the only other true freshman to have started any byu game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
A
Alphaleonis
Yea dmcougar, I did read the thread comparing Heaps to other freshmen - all 8 pages. It was hilarious.That is why I started this one. Loved the title and first post on the other thread, but it went waaaay downhill from there, in fact getting so far off the original subject of the thread that by the middle of the thread, comparisons to Max were more common than comparisons to any freshmen. (Did Max start as a freshman? No matter, they were comparing Max as a Senior)



By the way YBrit, I am not absolving Jake from any blame. Didn't I say that he was the worst in this category? You want wins? Jake is 2-1 in his last three starts. Only loss being to #4 TCU at their place. Give Max a fifth year of eligilibity and it would have been the same, if for no other reason than that Max always did a meltdown vs. TCU.



My whole thread was TIC. That other post went so far afield, wanted to narrow the category so it couldn't be argued.
S
SpiffCoug
I fail to see how your first point about the bad DC has any relevance to the QBs performance.



And Drew Miller, the only other QB to start as a true freshman had a rating of 93.70, which better than more than half of Jake's starts.



You are correct in that Heaps is in a relatively small group, but that doesn't absolve him of playing better than he has. He is part of the problem as are the coaches and receivers. But he is still in the BYU QB club and his performance like the WRs has been some of the worst ever at their position groups.
A
Alphaleonis
Kitic



We judge QB's on their PER. But we also judge them on W/L record: as in Max having the most wins of any BYU QB.



Change the DC at the beginning of the season or in fall camp, and I personally believe our record would now be 6-2 instead of 3-5 (wins at home against Nevada and AF, and at USU)



That is how much a DC can have to do with all of these discussions about Heaps. If our record were now 6-2, we wouldn't be having posts about Heaps compared to anyone except the all time greats at BYU.
C
Cougarbib
Alph



After Hill was fired, BYU had to cling on for dear life for narrow wins clouded by controversial calls or no calls by officials at home Vs SDSU and Wyoming.



BTW - AFA was on the road and healthy and energized and ranked. Even now that they are decimated by injury and worn down by the rigors of the Academy, they had chances to beat #8 Utah in a very close game AFA list by less than a TD even though they had 5 turnovers.



UNR had USU down 35 to ZIP at the half, and still coasted to a comfortable win after USU rallied.



BYU is better post Hill, but not world beaters yet.



Hopefully Hesps will keep winning and improving. UNLV provides Jake a golden opportunity to settle down and have his first solid outing.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
I didn't realize that beating USU, AFA and Nevada qualified a team as world beaters....



I think we would be 5-3, personally. Regardless, we are better than 3-5 now. But we weren't when those games were played.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
FSU and Nevada both cracked BCS Top 25 today. AFA gave Utah more than they wanted and if not for 5 turnovers - Utes would not be BCS TOp 5 today. Now, although I got my MBA at Utah, they still have not earned that ranking imho, but even with BYU's improved defense, we have not beaten any top 25 teams and nobody on the road.



SDSU is flirting with top 25 - we squeaked past them at home on a controversial call that is still reverberating.



If we beat mighty CSU on the road - I will celebrate that victory as i like our chances Vs UNLV and NM at home.



We are now good enough to beat UNLV, NM, SDSU, CSU, Wyoming, and probably even USU at home. I don't know on the road.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.