Archived Topic

How much money has Jake Locker lost this year?

by craigoscarson · 10/31/2010

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Sarkisian really sold this kid up the river... He was a legit top 3 pick going into last years NFL draft. I think he's been exposed for what we knew he was and it will have cost him $5-10 million+
C
craigoscarson
Sam Bradford got $50 million guaranteed and $13 million a season and people were picking Locker (based on his potential and athleticism) to compete for that #1 spot (including all the ESPN talking heads)



If Locker drops out of the 1st round after this years performance; he'll essentially lose $30 million or more....



Steve Sarkisian really sold Jake down the river.



I still think he'll stay in the 1st round and the drop won't be that steep. As long as the Raiders have a pick, he has a chance to stay in the 1st round ;) Al Davis likes that 4.3 speed
S
SpiffCoug
The NFL is really big on athleticism and upside. But in a QB, accuracy and winning games are also factors. Locker does neither. He's an inaccurate, losing QB. He's just not that good.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
kitic77 wrote:
The NFL is really big on athleticism and upside. But in a QB, accuracy and winning games are also factors. Locker does neither. He's an inaccurate, losing QB. He's just not that good.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'll have to look it up, but I think it's possible that Max Hall won more games last year than Locker did in his entire career.
C
Cougarbib
That is why hype and athleticism only take you so far. At some point you have to prove it on the field and Locker hasn't.
Advertisement
Y
YBrit
BYU takes heisman, top 5 nfl picks and turns them inside out. Can't wait to do that to the next of them.
C
cougman
He's lost an absolute boat load of scratch not just because he can't hit the broad side of a barn beyond 10 yards (something to do with the H2O in Washington...ouch!), but also because of the collective bargaining that is going to take place that will almost certainly limit rookie salaries. I don't think he received the best advice, but whatever, I'm pretty sure he could play baseball if football doesn't pan out - more money there as well. I wish him well. He seems like a good kid.
M
Mars


I dunno. I could see him going 14th-ish.
C
craigoscarson
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/news/story?id=5732885&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fdraft2011%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d5732885" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Kiper has him 16 on the big board now. I think that's probably a place where teams start considering him. I just can't see a franchise expecting him to be their future, unless you're a kook like Al Davis or a genius with a midas touch (and an incumbent with plenty of years left) like Belichek.



Regardless, it was a terrible business and career decision not to leave last year and Sark will never be able to apologize enough to Locker for the 7 figures+ he's lost him. Not making a bowl game would only make the pain worse.



This is why I appreciate how Bronco and Dave Rose have been about pro prospects; at least they give the right advice and let the players make the decision (in the case of Plaisted, he didnt' listen)
M
Mingjai
craigoscarson wrote:
Regardless, it was a terrible business and career decision not to leave last year and Sark will never be able to apologize enough to Locker for the 7 figures+ he's lost him.


Sarkisian was just taking a page from his mentor Pete Carroll's book on giving advice to junior QBs. At least Mark Sanchez was smart enough not to listen.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
I literally had to laugh at all the preseason hype Locker was getting. It was incredible how high everyone had a guy who has only been good at losing and injuring himself. I feel bad for the guy, but he's got a safe future in sports somewhere.
W
Wickchad
Well right off the bat you assume he lost $15 million this year since he isn't playing in the NFL yet. I would predict he goes around where Tebow went in the late 1st round. Someone will take a shot at him in the first round. The guaranteed money will be much different between a 1-3 pick and a 20-28 pick. Probably about $20 million difference in guaranteed money over his contract. So I estimate he lost $35 million by playing one more year of college football on a losing team. Plus he still has a few more games where he takes the chance of having a career ending injury...



The next question is does he lose more money than Leinart did by coming back for one more year instead of getting Alex Smith's No 1 over all pick?
M
Mars


Man, give craigo credit for this thread!



Just check this article out: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-rock-bottomhuskies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



1. Jake Locker suffered a cartilage injury in a game, but Sarkisian played him anyways.

2. Jake Locker's injury then worsened into a cracked rib in a different game, but again Sarkisian played him anyways.

3. In yet another game, Jake Locker's rib broke in two. Big surprise? Now he can't play against Oregon (lucky duck).



Washington ain't even going bowling this year... even though they annhilated the current #1 team in the Big east standings..... So a big "YAY!" to the screwed up BCS as well, while we're piling on.
C
craigoscarson
There's no way around it. Sark has not delivered on his promise to make Locker a more complete qb and as a result has cost him many slots in the NFL draft and millions of $.



At some point, their recruits have to take notice that they simply aren't well coached and that they can't deliver on all the pther promises they've made. Husky fans were talking about RoseBowl this year and they'll be lucky to make the toilet bowl.
Y
YBrit
I can think of about a dozen NFL QBs who were absolute flops all coming from the pac-10. One was interviewed during the BYU-Oregon game which was hilarious, I also think a Pac-10 QB is in his 5th pathetic year of his career, what's his name? Alex somebody, Smith I think?
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
YBrit wrote:
I can think of about a dozen NFL QBs who were absolute flops all coming from the pac-10. One was interviewed during the BYU-Oregon game which was hilarious, I also think a Pac-10 QB is in his 5th pathetic year of his career, what's his name? Alex somebody, Smith I think?


I guess there are enough Pac 10 QBs that turn out okay such that NFL teams are willing to give Pac 10 QBs a look. There are still a handful of Pac 10 QBs doing well enough--Aaron Rogers, Carson Palmer, Matt Cassel, Mark Sanchez...
T
tmoney35
I think he drops out of the first round.



Gerald McCoy got $63 million contract at the #3 spot, plus a $3.6 million signing bonus. I can see Locker dropping into the second round with the way this year has gone, plus the injury. If he has an amazing combine he'll probably bounce back up into the first since teams seem to value that so highly, and he is an amazing athlete.



Jimmy Clausen's 2nd round contract was $6.3 million, a measly 10% of McCoy's.



So, if Locker had gotten McCoy's contract this year, compared to if he gets Clausen's contract next year, he stands to lose lose almost $57 million over his first 5 years. Not to mention the loss of $16.2 million that he could've received this year (McCoy's first year salary + signing bonus), and that's not even considering the time value of money factor of putting off payment for a year.



Ouch
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.