Archived Topic

Bill Maher

by Italics · 10/27/2010

Advertisement
I
Italics
anyone else agree that this may be one of the most evil men in America?
M
Metal Bubba
Evil is a bit extreme. He is a dick, though.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
Metal Bubba wrote:
Evil is a bit extreme. He is a dick, though.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I don't know if "evil" is extreme in this case. We gladly call outright monsters like Hitler evil, but we should keep in mind that the Devil is cunning, sly, and subtle. Maher basically stands against everything that is right and good and mocks it every chance he gets.
M
Metal Bubba
I see your point, but I don't see Maher as the type of guy who wins converts. He's really just preaching to the choir.



Then again, with the exception of about 30 minutes of Religulous, I haven't watched him much over the last decade.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Meh. He's no more dangerous than Glenn Beck's gross oversimplifications, manipulations of statistics, and fear-mongering--the only people who listen or are swayed are the people who already wanted to believe the extreme he is preaching.
Advertisement
M
Metal Bubba
snoscythe wrote:
Meh. He's no more dangerous than Glenn Beck's gross oversimplifications, manipulations of statistics, and fear-mongering--the only people who listen or are swayed are the people who already wanted to believe the extreme he is preaching.


Nailed it.
S
Schmoe
snoscythe wrote:
Meh. He's no more dangerous than Glenn Beck's gross oversimplifications, manipulations of statistics, and fear-mongering--the only people who listen or are swayed are the people who already wanted to believe the extreme he is preaching.


You don't think so, huh? At least Beck errs on the side of pro-life, pro-religion, pro-capitalism.
S
SpiffCoug
Bill Maher doesn't believe in God. So who cares what he thinks? If he's right, then nothing really does matter and we'll never know anyway because we die, it's all over and no one will be the wiser. But if he's wrong, then he's WAY wrong, he couldn't be more wrong, because then everything WOULD matter.



When given those two choices, I'll go with the one that does matter. I'm not a fan of irrelevancy, which is what his positions' logical conclusion are.
B
BOID
Metal Bubba wrote:
Meh. He's no more dangerous than Glenn Beck's gross oversimplifications, manipulations of statistics, and fear-mongering--the only people who listen or are swayed are the people who already wanted to believe the extreme he is preaching.


Nailed it.


I have to admit, I am amazed at this magnitude of "not getting it." I notice that you did not call Beck a liar, or say that he is wrong. Does this mean that you think he is right, but that he is dangerous for caring too much, or for making too much effort to persuade? Remember the Burke saying about how evil triumphs when good men do nothing? Do you really feel that Beck's subject matter (ACORN, Obama, The Secular Progressive Movement/Marxism, persecution of religion, etc) does not threaten our way of life, or warrant any level of oppositional zeal?



Relative to my own love of freedom and Country, I consider Glenn Beck as a hero. I am grateful that he is as effective and persuasive as he is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
BOID wrote:
Relative to my own love of freedom and Country, I consider Glenn Beck as a hero. I am grateful that he is as effective and persuasive as he is.

To some, Beck may simply be a person who changed his opinion, loudly, because it made him a millionaire to do so. But I agree more with Boid.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:
Relative to my own love of freedom and Country, I consider Glenn Beck as a hero. I am grateful that he is as effective and persuasive as he is.

To some, Beck may simply be a person who changed his opinion, loudly, because it made him a millionaire to do so. But I agree more with Boid.

My biggest gripe with Beck is he almost sounds like he received revelation to do this and that this revelation is for all to follow him. At times he intimates receiving revelation for others over whom he has no stewardship.



Both Maher and Beck are personalities to a degree, but it does seem that Beck at least wants to build up and maintain a divinely inspired nation, while Maher would rather mock and scorn those who believe.



Beck may not be at the tree of life, but I do think Maher may be close to the great and spacious building.
B
BoiseBYU
Like many media entertainers Maher stands for evil things but the most evil man? Not close. At my top are child traffickers



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
I would think that a person would have to show a shred of intelligent thought to be dangerous/evil. Maher doesn't do that.
T
taekwondave
I liked Religulous :)
I
Italics
Metal Bubba wrote:
Evil is a bit extreme. He is a dick, though.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


oh, it's rare for me to call someone "evil." But this dude fits the profile. I wouldn't even know where to start.



Oh, and you're evil if you disagree with me. And faithless. 'Nuff said.
Advertisement
I
Italics
snoscythe wrote:
Meh. He's no more dangerous than Glenn Beck's gross oversimplifications, manipulations of statistics, and fear-mongering--the only people who listen or are swayed are the people who already wanted to believe the extreme he is preaching.


You really feel that way?



Maher = Anti-Christ, Anti-Religion (and he doesn't just bash Christianity, he drags every other respectful religion through the mud as well - buddhism, hinduism, etc), Anti-America, Anti-Capitalist, Anti-Marriage, Anti-Morals, Pro-drugs... I could go on...



Beck = Oversimplifies? "Fear-mongers?"



Btw, your accusations against Beck are simply OPINIONS. As where with Maher - these are not my opinions on him. He has come out and CLEARLY stated these things. Ex: "I could never get elected because I believe that drugs are good and religion is bad."



If you truly believe they are on the same level, I guess that's your right. But it looks more to me like you were trying a bit too hard to sound intellectual and level-headed and ended up embarrassing yourself instead.
S
snoscythe
The person who tells half-truths is more dangerous than the one that tells flat-out lies. That's all I was trying to say.
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
The person who tells half-truths is more dangerous than the one that tells flat-out lies. That's all I was trying to say.

I think Beck tells a whole lot of full truths. He's a great spokesman for many good things in my opinion.
B
BroncoBot
Given the choice of Beck or Maher, I'd listen to Beck anyday. You have to use your common sense filter even with Beck though. (and anyone on the radio these days.)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.