Archived Topic

Jack (the one "in-the-box") wants answers!

by byutx · 10/27/2010

Advertisement
B
byutx
I found this article about SDSU boosters sending a letter to President Samuelson asking/demanding that he shed some light on replaygate quite interesting. My favorite part:



"[Jack] Goodall is the retired CEO of Jack in the Box."



Now, I don't really know if he is the Jack from Jack-in-the-Box, but even if he is I don't really care. I'll still throw down the occasional ultimate cheeseburger and bacon cheddar potato wedges.



http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/oct/26/sdsu-boosters-ask-byu-president-review-replaygate/
B
BigCougsFan
I saw that. At first I thought this booster is being a wanker. Cry me a river, blah blah blah. Then, the more I think about it... The more I'd be pissed myself.



Yeah, this won't change anything but SDSU is arguably two bad calls away from being undefeated. First at Missouri, who just knocked off the number one team in the country -- Oklahoma. Then us.



SDSU usually stinks in football THEN the one year they become good. The refs rob them of it.



Too bad... So sad. They can take it out on Utah for us. Bang them up. Take a cheap shot on Jordan Wynn for us, so we can beat them the following week. Maybe they should take out Shaky too! That guy scares me.
C
CAFB_04-12
BigCougsFan wrote:
I saw that. At first I thought this booster is being a wanker. Cry me a river, blah blah blah. Then, the more I think about it... The more I'd be pissed myself.



Yeah, this won't change anything but SDSU is arguably two bad calls away from being undefeated. First at Missouri, who just knocked off the number one team in the country -- Oklahoma. Then us.



SDSU usually stinks in football THEN the one year they become good. The refs rob them of it.



Too bad... So sad. They can take it out on Utah for us. Bang them up. Take a cheap shot on Jordan Wynn for us, so we can beat them the following week. Maybe they should take out Shaky too! That guy scares me.

Giving SDSU the fumble does not mean SDSU wins. It's a logical fallacy that the SDSU boosters continue to perpetuate.
T
tmoney35
I'm loving some of the comments on the story. One guy was claiming that SDSU invented the modern passing game. I think LaVell would have something to say about that



Here's another gem:


Looks like your program is going down the toilet. Plus, it's going to be a rough time for BYU to schedule opponents now that your independent. Who wants to play a team with an older player advantage.


I still can't get over the "older player advantage" excuse. These people obviously don't understand that our players are away from football for 2 YEARS! It's not like a 2 year redshirt. What's more, they only have about 30 minutes in the morning to exercise, usually with no weights or equipment to speak of.



Also, apparently quite a few teams want to play us 8)
E
EM_Puma
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Giving SDSU the fumble does not mean SDSU wins. It's a logical fallacy that the SDSU boosters continue to perpetuate.


Exactlly!



Tell them if they can convice TCU forfeit the 51-50 game a few years back we actually lost on a bad call, then we'll sit down and maybe open a dialogue. How about the New Mexico game where the ref called Bigelow for coming on the court before the game was over when the footage of the game showed him to be a liar and the ref had blown the whistle. Those foul shots gave them the game. I understand that their premise is basically that since there was a BYU individual involved in the process that their integrity is being called into question where those other instances didn't, but it's the same issue that the bottom line was we lost two games we shouldn't have.



I just think the letter was in poor taste and the request is out of line as there is no proof that the individuals purposely influenced the call just because his intention was to throw the game to BYU. If they have a confession or indisputable proof, then there is an opening for discussion, but otherwise shut up as you look pretty stupid.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
I'm just waiting for one of them to freeze frame a screen grab of about 1 second earlier where two different SDSU aztecs are wrentching the facemask of JJ which should have resulted in 30 yards going forward.
L
Lawboy
tmoney35 wrote:
I'm loving some of the comments on the story. One guy was claiming that SDSU invented the modern passing game. I think LaVell would have something to say about that


Actually, Don "Air" Coryell went to a pass first offense at SDSU before LaVell did at BYU in 1973. They were DII to start, but went DI in like 1969, and he stayed until he went to the NFL in like 1972. He was pass happy in the 60's. LaVell gets credit because he actually won with it in the D1 ranks. Other credit goes to Bill Walsh, from Stanford, then 49ers. Those 3 pretty much are the guys that are the innovators in the passing game in teh NCAA and into the pros.



As for Aztecs fans--REALLY? Talk about a mentally soft group. What really sucks is that the MWC officiating is so crappy that were have controversies near every home game because of thier incompetence, and through no fault of our own. Pathetic, really. It is embarrasing for the MWC to admit that the best officiated game at LES this year had PAC-0 officials--who typically are the worst. There is some truth.
I
Italics
BigCougsFan wrote:
I saw that. At first I thought this booster is being a wanker. Cry me a river, blah blah blah. Then, the more I think about it... The more I'd be pissed myself.



Yeah, this won't change anything but SDSU is arguably two bad calls away from being undefeated. First at Missouri, who just knocked off the number one team in the country -- Oklahoma. Then us.



SDSU usually stinks in football THEN the one year they become good. The refs rob them of it.



Too bad... So sad. They can take it out on Utah for us. Bang them up. Take a cheap shot on Jordan Wynn for us, so we can beat them the following week. Maybe they should take out Shaky too! That guy scares me.


SDSU has no defense - despite how well they stopped the Nicholl's and NMSU's of the world in opening weeks.



They will finish with 5+ losses. Mark it down.
S
SpiffCoug
BYU: You want answers?



SDSU: I think I'm entitled to them.



BYU: You want answers?



SDSU: I want the truth!



BYU: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a football world that has games. And those walls have to be guarded by teams that win those. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Coach Locksley at New Mexico? I have a greater wins than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the Utes and you curse the Cougars. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that the missed fumble call, while tragic, didn't cost you that game. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins games...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to win those games. You need me wins those games.

We use words like honor, spirit, tradition...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent winning football games. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very football freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you start winning games yourself. Why don't you start start by learning how to stop the run or scoring more points. Either way, I don't give a darn what you think you're entitled to!
G
Guest
Bravo!
Advertisement
C
CougarPeasant
Lawboy wrote:
I'm loving some of the comments on the story. One guy was claiming that SDSU invented the modern passing game. I think LaVell would have something to say about that


Actually, Don "Air" Coryell went to a pass first offense at SDSU before LaVell did at BYU in 1973. They were DII to start, but went DI in like 1969, and he stayed until he went to the NFL in like 1972. He was pass happy in the 60's. LaVell gets credit because he actually won with it in the D1 ranks. Other credit goes to Bill Walsh, from Stanford, then 49ers. Those 3 pretty much are the guys that are the innovators in the passing game in teh NCAA and into the pros.


What he said. San Diego does have a legitimate claim as being one of the first and even perhaps the first innovator of the college and then pro passing game. Doug Scovil also is often mentioned as adding to the college game, first at BYU, then at SDSU, and finally with the Philadelphia Eagles. Edwards ofte deflected credit as the true originator.
T
tmoney35
Lawboy wrote:
Actually, Don "Air" Coryell went to a pass first offense at SDSU before LaVell did at BYU in 1973. They were DII to start, but went DI in like 1969, and he stayed until he went to the NFL in like 1972. He was pass happy in the 60's. LaVell gets credit because he actually won with it in the D1 ranks. Other credit goes to Bill Walsh, from Stanford, then 49ers. Those 3 pretty much are the guys that are the innovators in the passing game in teh NCAA and into the pros.


I figured someone would bust something like this out, which is all well and good, but it's the winners that write the history books (at least in war) :evil:
C
CannonCougar85
Is this about that missed call that happened in the 3rd quarter? It wasn't on the final play of the game, correct?



SDSU fans are whiners.



Notice, I didn't say winners.
C
Cougarbib
I ate those 2 for 99 cent tacos which cannot be beaten for taste (for greasy unhealthy things anyway) in that cost category since I first discovered them in 1974 at Jack in the Box at the corner of Rockfield Blvd and El Toro Road in what was then El Toro California and is now Lake Forest, Ca.



I quit when I decided to lose 90 pounds in the last year - but I will go back for a pair once or twice a year for nostaliga purposes. It is amazing that the price has not changed in many years. And, the tacos have not cut back one bit on the grease.
S
Schmoe
My first time at Jack in the Box I got a triple cheeseburger. It ended up being under cooked, getting me VERY sick, and I'll never eat there ever again.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Schmoe wrote:
My first time at Jack in the Box I got a triple cheeseburger. It ended up being under cooked, getting me VERY sick, and I'll never eat there ever again.

They do have a habit of killing people. We should write a letter to him demanding him do something about that.
F
Florwood
Well done, kitic!
B
BoiseBYU
kitic77 wrote:
BYU: You want answers?



SDSU: I think I'm entitled to them.



BYU: You want answers?



SDSU: I want the truth!



BYU: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a football world that has games. And those walls have to be guarded by teams that win those. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Coach Locksley at New Mexico? I have a greater wins than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the Utes and you curse the Cougars. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that the missed fumble call, while tragic, didn't cost you that game. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins games...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to win those games. You need me wins those games.

We use words like honor, spirit, tradition...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent winning football games. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very football freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you start winning games yourself. Why don't you start start by learning how to stop the run or scoring more points. Either way, I don't give a darn what you think you're entitled to!


Wow. That reads like something out of Atlas Shrugged (football edition). Well said



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougy_Monster
kitic77 wrote:
BYU: You want answers?



SDSU: I think I'm entitled to them.



BYU: You want answers?



SDSU: I want the truth!



BYU: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a football world that has games. And those walls have to be guarded by teams that win those. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Coach Locksley at New Mexico? I have a greater wins than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the Utes and you curse the Cougars. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that the missed fumble call, while tragic, didn't cost you that game. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins games...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to win those games. You need me wins those games.

We use words like honor, spirit, tradition...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent winning football games. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very football freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you start winning games yourself. Why don't you start start by learning how to stop the run or scoring more points. Either way, I don't give a darn what you think you're entitled to!




Perfect 10
T
tww
kitic77 wrote:
BYU: You want answers?



SDSU: I think I'm entitled to them.



BYU: You want answers?



SDSU: I want the truth!



BYU: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a football world that has games. And those walls have to be guarded by teams that win those. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Coach Locksley at New Mexico? I have a greater wins than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the Utes and you curse the Cougars. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that the missed fumble call, while tragic, didn't cost you that game. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins games...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to win those games. You need me wins those games.

We use words like honor, spirit, tradition...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent winning football games. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very football freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you start winning games yourself. Why don't you start start by learning how to stop the run or scoring more points. Either way, I don't give a darn what you think you're entitled to!




Haha! Classic. Kitic, this goes on my best post ever list. I read it in my best Jack voice.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.