Archived Topic

Mack Brown pulls a Bronco on his team

by Lawboy · 10/25/2010

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Texas is very young, like we are. With that comes leadership issues, which then trickles to expecting to win without putting in the work to earn it. And that explains BYU football--wait--Texas football 2010. I think Florida might be listening to this as well. Enjoy:



"I do think there's some entitlement with this team. They sit around thinking it's just going to happen," Brown said. "They played hard, but I mean [play] with passion, fun and excitement. It's all about confidence and passion. ... I can handle a loss if we are playing with passion. I can't if we're not. "



"I told them if one of your guys is playing bad, I can change them. If three of your guys are playing bad, I change you," Brown said. "I am ready to play each week."



"We've learned we can't just roll our helmet out there and win," Gideon said. "If we don't have our eyes open by now, we have a lot of growing up to do."



http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5727226" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C
Cougs_Rule
systemic failure. Sounds very familiar.

Must be their new starting QB's fault! ;-)
L
Lawboy
I think the defense has got the message. Still not feeling like the offense has it. They still do not seem too cohesive right now as a unit, and it shows. Leadership void on O is killing us this year. They do not seem like they are in it together just yet.
F
frdbtr
Lawboy wrote:
I think the defense has got the message. Still not feeling like the offense has it. They still do not seem too cohesive right now as a unit, and it shows. Leadership void on O is killing us this year. They do not seem like they are in it together just yet.


I have been hoping since Bronco took over the defense to see the same fire that the defense is showing on the offense. I thought SDSU looked good, TCU, not so much. Saturday looked OK but not as good as SDSU. Hopefully we see that fire against UNLV.
C
craigoscarson
Texas lost at home to Iowa State (badly) ... not only had ISU never beaten Texas (never) it certainly doesn't make Horns fans feel any better that it happened at their place.



There's no question that Texas has talent, but they're young and "entitled"....



He was on the local radio here in Big 12 country and he basically said he told his team, "you weren't the ones that won those trophies, so stop acting like it."
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Yup

Along comes an inexperienced team, short on player leaders, and all of a sudden the coaching staff has become incompetent, needs their butts kicked, and a fresh start somewhere else. You don't need to look to Texas or Florida for another example. Try BYU around 1999 / 2000. That is when Lavell outlived his usefulness and Chow was so horrible he just had to go.

Florida and Texas have better coaches overall than BYU has now - much so - and maybe even then - a little bit. Florida has the $2-3M man including endorsements and yet inexperienced players still trump experienced and proven coaches.

The fault is plenty and can be shared broadly. It is not all Heaps fault. You just keep seeing me and others keep posting Heaps shortcomings for those on here that just can't seem to see that he has any, including possibly himself. You hear Bronco talking about running more to minimize the decisions Heaps has to make. That is understandable for a true freshman - for a while. You hear other players as recently as last week talking about how Heaps stepped it up and worked hard in practice - leaving the feeling that maybe he has not been known for working hard in practice - maybe he has never had to work hard before due to his talent - hopefully he sees now that he does need to work a lot harder.

This entitlement crap is tough for coaches to deal with, but becomes easier to handle once the prima donna's have experienced embarrassing losses too many to be explained. Any, yes, sometimes the coaches may have gotten a little complacent too. But complacency in coaches is easy to fix after one embarrassing loss. Inexperience takes a lot of time to fix.

Plan on a long hard road from where we are. And Tight Ends, Heaps, Wide Receivers, and one Safety slot still have a very long way to go. And personally, although I think way too much has been made of Anae's play-calling. I have never liked Anae, think he is stubborn to the detriment of the team, am happy to leave it up to Bronco to decide how big that issue truly is, and hope that if Anae truly is an island within the coaching staff and the team, Bronco understands those kind of problems even if he is not an offensive genius, and he will deal with it. I just have no idea how true that is. It might be. But you could have run over Robert Anae with a truck last January, and this team would have still struggled mightily. Maybe running over Coach Hill last January might have helped due to Bronco being able to step right in with Leadership the players respected.

See next post for what the real problem is.
C
Cougarbib
See my thread on Talent Successoin Failure
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.