Archived Topic

This bye week could be just what the doctor ordered

by Cougarfan87 · 10/25/2010

Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Two weeks to work out kinks in the offense will be very welcome. Two weeks for Heaps to get down some continuity with his receivers. It was very encouraging to see Ashworth make a couple of grabs and hold on to the deep ball for a touchdown.



I have read through many of the posts of those getting all over Heaps and disagree wholeheartedly. He is a true freshman. I have read comparisons to how he perfromed in comparison to Hall, and I just shake my head. Ridiculous to compare the two. Put Dennis Pitta on this team with Andrew George, and Harvey Unga catching passes out of the backfield and I am sure Heaps would be looking much better. BYU won the game Saturday and I am confident they have three to five wins left in them, but it will take a total team effort. :crazy:
J
jonnylingo
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Two weeks to work out kinks in the offense will be very welcome. Two weeks for Heaps to get down some continuity with his receivers. It was very encouraging to see Ashworth make a couple of grabs and hold on to the deep ball for a touchdown.



I have read through many of the posts of those getting all over Heaps and disagree wholeheartedly. He is a true freshman. I have read comparisons to how he perfromed in comparison to Hall, and I just shake my head. Ridiculous to compare the two. Put Dennis Pitta on this team with Andrew George, and Harvey Unga catching passes out of the backfield and I am sure Heaps would be looking much better. BYU won the game Saturday and I am confident they have three to five wins left in them, but it will take a total team effort. :crazy:


Good post. Hope this week changes something. I am a little less optimistic that it will change much, but I can always keep hope.
F
frdbtr
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Two weeks to work out kinks in the offense will be very welcome. Two weeks for Heaps to get down some continuity with his receivers. It was very encouraging to see Ashworth make a couple of grabs and hold on to the deep ball for a touchdown.



I have read through many of the posts of those getting all over Heaps and disagree wholeheartedly. He is a true freshman. I have read comparisons to how he perfromed in comparison to Hall, and I just shake my head. Ridiculous to compare the two. Put Dennis Pitta on this team with Andrew George, and Harvey Unga catching passes out of the backfield and I am sure Heaps would be looking much better. BYU won the game Saturday and I am confident they have three to five wins left in them, but it will take a total team effort. :crazy:


Well, since you brought it up, if you put Max hall on this team without the mentioned recievers and RB above, we MAYBE have 2 losses. I would say the FSU game would be a toss up, TCU a loss.
B
BOID
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Two weeks to work out kinks in the offense will be very welcome. Two weeks for Heaps to get down some continuity with his receivers. It was very encouraging to see Ashworth make a couple of grabs and hold on to the deep ball for a touchdown.



I have read through many of the posts of those getting all over Heaps and disagree wholeheartedly. He is a true freshman. I have read comparisons to how he perfromed in comparison to Hall, and I just shake my head. Ridiculous to compare the two. Put Dennis Pitta on this team with Andrew George, and Harvey Unga catching passes out of the backfield and I am sure Heaps would be looking much better. BYU won the game Saturday and I am confident they have three to five wins left in them, but it will take a total team effort. :crazy:


I agree. Two weeks with an average coach: Maybe nothing. Two weeks of Bronco time, however: Could be huge. Further cancers could be excised, more players could reawaken, and still others could be promoted after being discovered. Bronco may be the best (or certainly among the top five) motivational coach in all the land.



I also agree that Heaps deserves (and needs) patience, encouragement, and support.



We're going to see an improved Cougar squad in two weeks, and later, a 6-5 Cougar record to set up the Utah game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarfan87
frdbtr wrote:
Two weeks to work out kinks in the offense will be very welcome. Two weeks for Heaps to get down some continuity with his receivers. It was very encouraging to see Ashworth make a couple of grabs and hold on to the deep ball for a touchdown.



I have read through many of the posts of those getting all over Heaps and disagree wholeheartedly. He is a true freshman. I have read comparisons to how he perfromed in comparison to Hall, and I just shake my head. Ridiculous to compare the two. Put Dennis Pitta on this team with Andrew George, and Harvey Unga catching passes out of the backfield and I am sure Heaps would be looking much better. BYU won the game Saturday and I am confident they have three to five wins left in them, but it will take a total team effort. :crazy:


Well, since you brought it up, if you put Max hall on this team without the mentioned recievers and RB above, we MAYBE have 2 losses. I would say the FSU game would be a toss up, TCU a loss.


How could you say with a straight face that FSU would be a toss up when they DESTROYED US AT HOME with all of the aforementioned players? Max was also a senior. Put him in as a true freshman and I think you get a different result. Let's stop comparing apples to oranges and just see where Heaps is with a few years in the program under his belt.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Seems to have worked for Max Hall in Arizona.......



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
Two weeks to work out kinks in the offense will be very welcome. Two weeks for Heaps to get down some continuity with his receivers. It was very encouraging to see Ashworth make a couple of grabs and hold on to the deep ball for a touchdown.



I have read through many of the posts of those getting all over Heaps and disagree wholeheartedly. He is a true freshman. I have read comparisons to how he perfromed in comparison to Hall, and I just shake my head. Ridiculous to compare the two. Put Dennis Pitta on this team with Andrew George, and Harvey Unga catching passes out of the backfield and I am sure Heaps would be looking much better. BYU won the game Saturday and I am confident they have three to five wins left in them, but it will take a total team effort. :crazy:


Well, since you brought it up, if you put Max hall on this team without the mentioned recievers and RB above, we MAYBE have 2 losses. I would say the FSU game would be a toss up, TCU a loss.


[edited by admin]

MOS
I
IndiCoug
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Two weeks to work out kinks in the offense will be very welcome. Two weeks for Heaps to get down some continuity with his receivers. It was very encouraging to see Ashworth make a couple of grabs and hold on to the deep ball for a touchdown.



I have read through many of the posts of those getting all over Heaps and disagree wholeheartedly. He is a true freshman. I have read comparisons to how he perfromed in comparison to Hall, and I just shake my head. Ridiculous to compare the two. Put Dennis Pitta on this team with Andrew George, and Harvey Unga catching passes out of the backfield and I am sure Heaps would be looking much better. BYU won the game Saturday and I am confident they have three to five wins left in them, but it will take a total team effort. :crazy:

Good Post Cougarfan. Any polster that thinks replacing Heaps will fix our offense is delusional!!! So many other things need to be fixed before you can make that determination.
C
Cougarfan87
snoscythe wrote:
Seems to have worked for Max Hall in Arizona.......



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Max Hall is not a true freshman QB. Again, everyone needs to stop trying to compare apples to oranges. But if you insist on comparing apples to oranges, Max Hall in Arizona is blessed with one of the best receivers in the NFL. Who does Heaps have? [crickets chirping in the background].



I'm not saying Heaps isn't struggling right now, but I don't know of any true freshman QB that has been handled this poorly with zero supporting cast in the passing game that would be doing any better. Find someone that meets that same criteria and we'll start doing some comparisons.



People want to throw in Detmer. Detmer redshirted his freshman season and wasn't thrown into the fray until his second year into the program when Covey struggled/got concussions. Plus, he had recievers like Chuck Cutler and Andy Boyce that had flypaper for hands. Max Hall's freshman year...never happened at BYU. He got to sit and learn at ASU and at BYU before he had to start. So let's cut the TRUE freshman QB a little slack and realize that we are still well on our way to achieve what we thought was possible this year...a bowl eligible team. No one realistically thought we were going to win ten games or win the MWC this year, so the next goal down is a bowl game and a winning season. We are still on track for that. Even with our struggling true freshman QB.



Now, if we struggle like this next year, I will be willing to throw the QB under the bus, assuming that whoever the starting QB is next year (I think its an open competition in the Spring) has had all summer as the named starter and all the reps in the fall leading up to the first game. If there is a major split in snaps (other than the situational wildcat QB formation I expect Nelson will run), than any QB failure will be largely on the entire Coaching staff. I do not think Bronco will let that happen again, especially after seeing how this year turned out compared to the year when they gave Max Hall all the reps. Pick a guy and stick with him, and support him after you've made the choice.



Let's get behind the 18 year old the coaches have picked to start this year, and reserve judgment on his playing ability for the future, when he will have gotten a fair shake to develop.
G
Guest
IndiCoug wrote:
Good Post Cougarfan. Any polster that thinks replacing Heaps will fix our offense is delusional!!! So many other things need to be fixed before you can make that determination.


Who exactly is saying that replacing Heaps will fix the offense? I honestly haven't seen anyone say that it would. I have seen maybe 1 or 2 people say that Lark/Munns should be given a chance. A lot of people seem to be pointing out that Heaps hasn't progressed as far as he should have by this time and that that is a concern, but not that he should be benched. Everyone else seems to point out the fact that Heaps can't be blamed for anything because a. his receivers suck (even though Nelson had a higher rating with the same receivers against tougher competition) and b. He is a true freshman (even though no one is calling for him to be Senior Beck or Hall).



I think everyone should relax a little on the knee jerk reactions they are having when they see a post and try to really understand what the other posters are saying.



I believe everyone on this site can agree with the following:



The receivers are extremely disappointing in game time this year.

QB play is disappointing this year.

Receivers should catch balls that hit them in the hands or get pretty close to them.

Heaps' accuracy has been surprisingly less than we would have expected in games

for some reason all the things above seem to be happening just fine in practice. We need to get those things that are working in practice to work in game time.
Advertisement
B
bball
I am not optimistic the week off does any good at all. The issues this team has showed up glaringly in week 2--and they have remained or gotten worse. None of these issues (offensive issues) have been corrected. The Oline still false starts about 50 times a game, receivers still drop passes, backs and receivers still fumble the ball, play calling is still awful, vertical pass game is non-existent. How can a team be this far into the season and still have these same issues, game after game after game? These are not "talent" issues, they are coaching issues. Just as Bronco fixed numerous defensive problems almost overnight, the OC should have fixed these issues long ago. The fact these problems are still here in week 8 tells me that "past performance is the best indicator of future performance."



I would love to be a fly on the wall in the offensive coaches meetings. What in the world goes on in there? What do they talk about? What is their mindset? What do they focus on? How do they game plan? How do they address these glaring problems that are so obvious week after week?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.