Archived Topic

Hooray for BYU Fans!

by BoiseBYU · 10/25/2010

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
We are all grouchy and so it makes sense that fans get trashed along with everyone else, but I think kudos need to go out to the fans. Right up to kick off there was a frickin downpour and yet the fans came..and to see a 2-5 Cougars team play a 2-5 Cowboys team. Despite it all, 60,000+ fans showed up! Good on them! Sure there are the moronic comments, but seeing the things that we really smart guys have posted over the past year (including me), well moronic is part of the equation. Here's perspective: BSU could not even sell out a 34,000 stadium earlier this month when they played an equally dismal Toledo. Students did not even bother to pick up all the tickets assigned to them. The BYU crowd was loud when the defense needed it against the Cowboys and, weather and all, did some good. BYU fans did good. It's easy to be a fan when the going is good. It is funner (in some ways) to be a fan when the going is not so good--you should see the looks I get herein Boise wearing my BYU shirt on BSU game day! Go Cougars!
C
CougarPeasant
It still cracks me up that BSU fans think they are Pac10 material. If you can't sell out a 34k stadium when you are ranked 2 in the polls, you ain't Pac10 material or any BCS conference material.



I was pleased to hear the attendance was over 60k, given the season and the weather, that's pretty darn good. Don't forget to factor in hunting season as well.
F
fifthqb
Its true. I was proud to be a cougar fan this weekend. My negative comments from before have been proven wrong. The team and the fans have shown more fight this season then I gave them credit for. :)
G
Guest
BYU fans get a lot of criticism that is rightly deserved, but it's good to remember just how loyal they are too. Great post.
J
jonnylingo
speaking of attendance. utah is undefeated and ranked like 9 or 8 or something and they still couldn't sell out their weak stadium this past weekend.
Advertisement
M
MJCOUGAR
Glad to see the stadium that full. I did hear some boos which I hate hearing at home and I could even hear (faintly over the tv broadcast) some idiot yelling "thrown the ball Anae".
C
CougarClaw
me and the folks around me tried chanting "can't cross the 50" a few times to the Wyoming Offensive...



I was hoping for a mention, but didn't get it.



and there were a lot of boos for the called late hit on Wyoming's QB. I thought the call could have gone either way, btu the folks around me didn't.
P
ProV1
MJCOUGAR wrote:
some idiot yelling "throw the ball Anae".

Probably the same idiot who would yell "throw the ball Chow" and "throw the ball Crowton."
B
BYULV
CougarClaw wrote:
me and the folks around me tried chanting "can't cross the 50" a few times to the Wyoming Offensive...



I was hoping for a mention, but didn't get it.



and there were a lot of boos for the called late hit on Wyoming's QB. I thought the call could have gone either way, btu the folks around me didn't.


I thought it could have gone either way at first, but then I rewatched it over again and it was not a personal foul. The defender pulled up and the QB tucked into him. Lame call.
C
Cougs_Rule
Good to see a strong turnout. Was 60k the official reported attendance? I saw alot of empty seats. I would have guessed 45-50k. Traffic to and from wasn't near as bad as usual.
Advertisement
C
CaptainCoug
dmcougar wrote:
Good to see a strong turnout. Was 60k the official reported attendance? I saw alot of empty seats. I would have guessed 45-50k. Traffic to and from wasn't near as bad as usual.


Agreed. Attendance was nowhere near 60k. Maybe more like 45k? Maybe... Besides, the attendance smack is a little old. Does it make much difference if Utah/TCU/BSU dont have our level of gameday stadium support? It's almost embarrassing to hear attendance smack. Using the same argument against us, don't all the SEC schools (and Big Ten) sell out over 80k every week? Some upwards of 100k?



They all must have much better fans and be better programs than BYU..... :sick:



We can start congratulating fans at LES when they start cheering and stop trying to get dates... ;)
M
Mingjai
CaptainCoug wrote:
Using the same argument against us, don't all the SEC schools (and Big Ten) sell out over 80k every week? Some upwards of 100k?



They all must have much better fans and be better programs than BYU..... :sick:

Michigan drew 108,000 (sell out) last year to see 5-4 Michigan take on 3-6 Purdue. Michigan State drew 73,000 (2,000 under capacity) last year to see the 4-5 Spartans play 4-5 Western Michigan. I'm guessing BYU fans are more like Michigan State fans...
B
BoiseBYU
CaptainCoug wrote:
Good to see a strong turnout. Was 60k the official reported attendance? I saw alot of empty seats. I would have guessed 45-50k. Traffic to and from wasn't near as bad as usual.


Agreed. Attendance was nowhere near 60k. Maybe more like 45k? Maybe... Besides, the attendance smack is a little old. Does it make much difference if Utah/TCU/BSU dont have our level of gameday stadium support? It's almost embarrassing to hear attendance smack. Using the same argument against us, don't all the SEC schools (and Big Ten) sell out over 80k every week? Some upwards of 100k?



They all must have much better fans and be better programs than BYU..... :sick:



We can start congratulating fans at LES when they start cheering and stop trying to get dates... ;)


Actually, at the beginning of the game as the downpour ended I would have guessed 40K. By the second quarter the stands were pretty full except the upper sections of the end zones...I had guessed 58K. I do not understand where you get all off on "attendance smack." Who licked the red off your candy? I do think it is interesting to compare that in a down season against a "boring" oppenent, BYU fans still showed better than other teams in our area and in our conference. I think it is a relevant point to make in that I think it shows that BYU has more fans through thick or thin. Does not mean the programs are better--that's about the silliest conclusion I think you could have drawn. Right now BSU and Utah's football teams do a lot better than ours this year. No one is suggesting otherwise. The record suggests though that if Utah or BSU were 2 - 5 playing a WY they would not be pulling in 60K. So I still think we ought to give the fans a cheer. If that comes out as attendance smack, well then so be it
L
Lawboy
Utah did not sell out Saturday at RES with the same weather issues, and a much smaller venue and a top 10 ranking. I thought BYU fans showed well, and Bronco noted it. I was suprized by the # of empty seats in the student section by the end though. The northeast midsection and southeast midesction were the emptiest at LES. The rest of the stadium was more full by games end than the student sections were. And they had less communte, no kids to deal with, etc. Lams. Guess many of the coeds didn't want their hair to get wet.
B
BoiseBYU
FYI, last night BSU again did not sell out--32,000 showed up for the game against La Tech. Weather was cool, but dry....No local TV either covering the game
Advertisement
C
CaptainCoug
BoiseBYU wrote:
dmcougar wrote:
Good to see a strong turnout. Was 60k the official reported attendance? I saw alot of empty seats. I would have guessed 45-50k. Traffic to and from wasn't near as bad as usual.


Agreed. Attendance was nowhere near 60k. Maybe more like 45k? Maybe... Besides, the attendance smack is a little old. Does it make much difference if Utah/TCU/BSU dont have our level of gameday stadium support? It's almost embarrassing to hear attendance smack. Using the same argument against us, don't all the SEC schools (and Big Ten) sell out over 80k every week? Some upwards of 100k?



They all must have much better fans and be better programs than BYU..... :sick:



We can start congratulating fans at LES when they start cheering and stop trying to get dates... ;)


Actually, at the beginning of the game as the downpour ended I would have guessed 40K. By the second quarter the stands were pretty full except the upper sections of the end zones...I had guessed 58K. I do not understand where you get all off on "attendance smack." Who licked the red off your candy? I do think it is interesting to compare that in a down season against a "boring" oppenent, BYU fans still showed better than other teams in our area and in our conference. I think it is a relevant point to make in that I think it shows that BYU has more fans through thick or thin. Does not mean the programs are better--that's about the silliest conclusion I think you could have drawn. Right now BSU and Utah's football teams do a lot better than ours this year. No one is suggesting otherwise. The record suggests though that if Utah or BSU were 2 - 5 playing a WY they would not be pulling in 60K. So I still think we ought to give the fans a cheer. If that comes out as attendance smack, well then so be it


Not trying to argue here Boise, just seems like this "well, we have better attendance than you!" finger pointing comes up a lot lately on this board. Seems to always be pointed towards three teams in particular - TCU, BSU, and Utah.



Coincidentally, those are the three teams that are the media darlings and in direct competition with BYU for the spotlight. I just think it hints at grasping at straws to find criticism for their programs as we hope to grow our program to their stature (football talent/coaching/rankings, etc., obviously not fan support ;) )



If you're OK with pulling out the attendance smack, so be it. I just find it pretty funny of us (CC) to be praising our fans in one thread and ripping on them in another (simultaneously)...



We do have a lot of die hards, but there are also a lot of free tickets being given away, social gatherings at LES occurring, and fashion contests going on during the games. Hard to rip on other fanbases when our own is struggling....
M
Mars
CaptainCoug wrote:
there are also a lot of free tickets being given away

Where? By who? To who? :skeptic:
G
Guest
Mars wrote:
there are also a lot of free tickets being given away

Where? By who? To who? :skeptic:

I was wondering the same thing. I've never seen free BYU tickets given away, other than prizes at radio stations etc. That's what 20 tickets a game, compared to the 20,000 they were giving away for the Ute games?
A
ABYUFAN
CaptainCoug wrote:
CaptainCoug wrote:
Good to see a strong turnout. Was 60k the official reported attendance? I saw alot of empty seats. I would have guessed 45-50k. Traffic to and from wasn't near as bad as usual.


Agreed. Attendance was nowhere near 60k. Maybe more like 45k? Maybe... Besides, the attendance smack is a little old. Does it make much difference if Utah/TCU/BSU dont have our level of gameday stadium support? It's almost embarrassing to hear attendance smack. Using the same argument against us, don't all the SEC schools (and Big Ten) sell out over 80k every week? Some upwards of 100k?



They all must have much better fans and be better programs than BYU..... :sick:



We can start congratulating fans at LES when they start cheering and stop trying to get dates... ;)


Actually, at the beginning of the game as the downpour ended I would have guessed 40K. By the second quarter the stands were pretty full except the upper sections of the end zones...I had guessed 58K. I do not understand where you get all off on "attendance smack." Who licked the red off your candy? I do think it is interesting to compare that in a down season against a "boring" oppenent, BYU fans still showed better than other teams in our area and in our conference. I think it is a relevant point to make in that I think it shows that BYU has more fans through thick or thin. Does not mean the programs are better--that's about the silliest conclusion I think you could have drawn. Right now BSU and Utah's football teams do a lot better than ours this year. No one is suggesting otherwise. The record suggests though that if Utah or BSU were 2 - 5 playing a WY they would not be pulling in 60K. So I still think we ought to give the fans a cheer. If that comes out as attendance smack, well then so be it


Not trying to argue here Boise, just seems like this "well, we have better attendance than you!" finger pointing comes up a lot lately on this board. Seems to always be pointed towards three teams in particular - TCU, BSU, and Utah.



Coincidentally, those are the three teams that are the media darlings and in direct competition with BYU for the spotlight. I just think it hints at grasping at straws to find criticism for their programs as we hope to grow our program to their stature (football talent/coaching/rankings, etc., obviously not fan support ;) )



If you're OK with pulling out the attendance smack, so be it. I just find it pretty funny of us (CC) to be praising our fans in one thread and ripping on them in another (simultaneously)...



We do have a lot of die hards, but there are also a lot of free tickets being given away, social gatherings at LES occurring, and fashion contests going on during the games. Hard to rip on other fanbases when our own is struggling....


I think his point is that even though there is another thread where we have football fan elitists attacking those at games that they do not feel are worthy of being a fan, we still have good fans. I know some call attendance smack weak; but who is the ultimate arbiter of smack strength? We can actually scoreboard Utah, which I feel is the best smack, but they are runnign confence smak and scheduling smack....how is attendance smack any weaker than that?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.