Archived Topic

BYU Unranked in First Coaches Poll

by BYULV · 10/22/2010

Advertisement
B
BYULV
So there is no mention of BYU in the first preseason poll. Is that reasonable? We return a lot more of our core team than many schools that ended last season ranked. Seems like we should be in the rankings. Also looks like the mountain west may be disrespecting BYU with a third or fourth place preseason ranking. Hope we prove them all wrong.



http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5711887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
SDSU 26 BYU 27. Just outside of top 25.
S
SpiffCoug
If Jimmer drops 25 a few times in the early season, we'll get ranked pretty quick.
I
IowaCougar
What's really nice about basketball is that it doesn't matter until seeding time. The Cougars have plenty of time to prove themselves and get a good seeding in the tourney.
S
SpiffCoug
IowaCougar wrote:
What's really nice about basketball is that it doesn't matter until seeding time. The Cougars have plenty of time to prove themselves and get a good seeding in the tourney.

It does matter now. You get a good seed by staying relevant. By getting into the top 25 early and staying there throughout the year, BYU stays relevant. Their highlights will be shown. Their scores will flash on the bottom line. You do those things now and then come seeding time, you've built some cache that can hopefully get the Selection Committee to bump BYU up a seed instead of drop us a seed.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
The other thing too is that being ranked 27th out of 347 (you're in the top 8%) Division 1-A BB teams says a lot more than being ranked 27th out of 120 (you're only in the top 23%) FB teams. They really need to make being in the Top 30 in BB as being relavant if not the Top 35. Being the 25th top team in FB is only equivalent to being the top 72nd team in BB. Quite a difference and it is actually an honor to be considered that high of a program.
M
Mars


I don't think BYU is the best team in the MWC this year. I think we take a step back from last season. So the rankings don't worry me too much right now.
G
Gunk
Talent wise SDSU has the better team. We'll see if they're able to put it together though. They've struggled a little with this as of late.
B
BYULV
Gunk wrote:
Talent wise SDSU has the better team. We'll see if they're able to put it together though. They've struggled a little with this as of late.


Seems like sdsu always beats us talent wise, but rarely on the court.



I'd rather be under ranked and surprise people.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
The question for me is what happens to us if Jimmer gets sick/injured/bored during the year. The drop-off behind him is huge (Thanks Loyd). We have lots of young talent, but we've seen what that will do to a football team.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Mars wrote:


I don't think BYU is the best team in the MWC this year. I think we take a step back from last season. So the rankings don't worry me too much right now.


If that turns out to be a fact, that would burst the bubble of a lot of fans, including me. I'm always hopeful heading into the season as most fans are, but I sense that we are as good or better than last year and I dont' think SDSU has exceded us even if they are bringing in their starting five. I guess we'll all soon see.
Y
YBrit
We'll be ranked quick. SDSU will fall out of votes quick...they are lazy.
G
Gunk
YBrit wrote:
We'll be ranked quick. SDSU will fall out of votes quick...they are lazy.


Haha! They are lazy and the fact that they are ranked only feeds into their sense of entitlement.



I'm glad we're not ranked. Puts a chip on our shoulder. We'll have plenty of attention this year with Jimmer as it is.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.