Archived Topic

How Is This Good Coaching

by jonnylingo · 10/21/2010

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
http://byu.scout.com/2/1013975.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



This is how we are trying to get two starting tight ends. By playing with their heads and continually shuffling them around. Our coaches are the most indecisive lamos ever. Make a freaking decision!! They are screwing the tight ends.



Guarantee we see some transfers from that group. They have been mismanaged beyond belief. Am I the only one that thinks this is crazy?
A
ABYUFAN
I'm at the point now where Anae can do no right. Even his "good" coaching decisions to me are wrong. So I'll admit that bias going in... I think it's a stupid idea, and those T.E.'s involved are troops to put such a positive spin on it.
I
IndiCoug
jonnylingo wrote:
http://byu.scout.com/2/1013975.html



This is how we are trying to get two starting tight ends. By playing with their heads and continually shuffling them around. Our coaches are the most indecisive lamos ever. Make a freaking decision!! They are screwing the tight ends.



Guarantee we see some transfers from that group. They have been mismanaged beyond belief. Am I the only one that thinks this is crazy?


I agree. "Anae" and "decision making" is a contradition in terms. Example: Can't make a decision on which QB's should start the season (even though one sustained a shoulder injury in fall camp and couldn't throw the mid to deep ball with any force or consistancy) so let's play each of them every other series so neither can get in a groove. :gross:

I hope this guys is gone soon. :munch:
K
kfilly20
Dammit I'm so mad about our tight ends getting screwed. I could say the F word. Get Wilson and Mahina in there catching balls. How hard is that to figure out. Matthews has made some plays but he looks so awkward doing it. He cannot be our most talented tight end, and what does he weigh? 200 maybe? Come on Anae !!
J
jonnylingo
kfilly20 wrote:
Dammit I'm so mad about our tight ends getting screwed. I could say the F word. Get Wilson and Mahina in there catching balls. How hard is that to figure out. Matthews has made some plays but he looks so awkward doing it. He cannot be our most talented tight end, and what does he weigh? 200 maybe? Come on Anae !!


why didn't they redshirt Holt. Five freshman. Do we really need to be wasting that talent. Mathews needs time to put on more weight, Holt is awesome and should have been redshirted. pick three starters and then redshirt or move others to different position. these guys are all very talented (at least in theory) but not one of them has been put in a position to succeed.



i guess they are waiting for the decision to be made for them. maybe one will get injured transfer. then the coaches will not have to make a hard decision.



I feel bad for the tight ends like I felt bad for the quarterbacks. Our coaches are looking indecisive and just plain stupid.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Anae's flaws have really been exposed this year--mainly his indecisiveness. He is basically Crowton Light. Can't name a QB, so plays both. Can't develop a strong TE, so plays 6 of them, when redshirting 2 of them would have been best. Can't stick to a game plan as he'd rather try to fidget his way to success, than than scheme for it by sticking with it of the course of many games. There is this stubborness to him that he is right--results be damned. I know there are many current and former players who do not like Robert because of the way he handles players (very critical, negative, condescending--all the time. Does not build guys up, just tears down).



I also think Wilson, Mahina and Muehlmann should really see the field. Those 3 could carry the position for us and offer us strengths with versatility. Nothing against Matthews or Holt, just this those 3 are the best we have right now.
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
Anae's flaws have really been exposed this year--mainly his indecisiveness. He is basically Crowton Light. Can't name a QB, so plays both. Can't develop a strong TE, so plays 6 of them, when redshirting 2 of them would have been best. Can't stick to a game plan as he'd rather try to fidget his way to success, than than scheme for it by sticking with it of the course of many games. There is this stubborness to him that he is right--results be damned. I know there are many current and former players who do not like Robert because of the way he handles players (very critical, negative, condescending--all the time. Does not build guys up, just tears down).



I also think Wilson, Mahina and Muehlmann should really see the field. Those 3 could carry the position for us and offer us strengths with versatility. Nothing against Matthews or Holt, just this those 3 are the best we have right now.


Holt probably has the most upside. he should have been redshirted. mathews needs to put on more weight. wilson should probably just lose a few pounds and play receiver. I love that i think i am smarter than our coaches. I however don't see however any defense for how the tight ends have been mismanaged.
I
Italics
if I recall correctly, Matthews has had two or three awful dropped passes this year. And he's been thrown to very few times. That to me is an indicator that he needs to be on the bench.
O
OhYePoorFools
This is ridiculous. Anae has held tryouts for over 7 games of the regular season. It's almost starting to look like purposeful sabotage. Who would do this?
B
Brayden Green
kfilly20 wrote:
Dammit I'm so mad about our tight ends getting screwed. I could say the F word. Get Wilson and Mahina in there catching balls. How hard is that to figure out. Matthews has made some plays but he looks so awkward doing it. He cannot be our most talented tight end, and what does he weigh? 200 maybe? Come on Anae !!




I just can't forget him running (and consequently fumbling) the ball like he was trying out for a russian ballet. Holy Cow!
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Wait...weren't there a bunch of people on this board suggesting Anae be demoted to just coaching the TEs. If this is the case, I don't want him near em.



Maybe if all he had were the TEs, he'd be different...but I'm not holding my breath.
T
taekwondave
I...cant....breathe....



This guy....you think he knows he's a gonner and just is trying to run us into the ground while he can? Is this preemptive revenge or something? Does Bronco really have no problem with this? I love what was just said about trying out for 7 games. Brilliant. So true.



It seems so obvious to everyone here, I don't know how Bronco could not see it and do something about it. I'm sure HE wants this team to succeed. If you have five guys playing the same position and none of them really proves to be much better than the others, then you draw straws and tell the losers they should have no room to complain because they didn't separate themselves. You need to pick starters and they need enough reps to get their confidence up. There is no facet of our offense that would not be better today were Anae to have ended tryouts come week 2 of fall practices. If you can't decide, you decide. Since clearly it makes no difference WHO you decide, them all being apparently equal, the only BAD decision is NO decision. He screwed our quarterbacks and tight ends in the exact same way this year. We need a coach with some marbles.
C
Cougs_Rule
Systemic Failure. To give Anae some benefit--very little--what have the TE shown to separate from the pack? Where is the effort? Crisp routes?

The only upside i see in Holt--aside from his HS stardom--is he is big--which should help more with the run game. My observations is that he is slow. I dont know what his speed is, but by the time he has broken over the middle, the play has already moved on. NO maybe if our Oline could pass protect.

I still dont know why that group hasnt been singled out yet.
S
SpiffCoug
taekwondave wrote:
There is no facet of our offense that would not be better today were Anae to have ended tryouts come week 2 of fall practices. If you can't decide, you decide. Since clearly it makes no difference WHO you decide, them all being apparently equal, the only BAD decision is NO decision.

BINGO! And this is where Bronco should have first stepped in and made a decision or at least required one of his coaches. The clear lack of decisions have retarded the team, the program, the players and the coaching staff.
G
Gunk
kitic77 wrote:
There is no facet of our offense that would not be better today were Anae to have ended tryouts come week 2 of fall practices. If you can't decide, you decide. Since clearly it makes no difference WHO you decide, them all being apparently equal, the only BAD decision is NO decision.

BINGO! And this is where Bronco should have first stepped in and made a decision or at least required one of his coaches. The clear lack of decisions have retarded the team, the program, the players and the coaching staff.


For all of Bronco's new-wave management styles he certainly failed to give his OC a deadline on a starting roster and hold his OC to that deadline. Would be awesome if at work I could delay meeting my responsibilities via indecision.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Gunk wrote:
taekwondave wrote:
There is no facet of our offense that would not be better today were Anae to have ended tryouts come week 2 of fall practices. If you can't decide, you decide. Since clearly it makes no difference WHO you decide, them all being apparently equal, the only BAD decision is NO decision.

BINGO! And this is where Bronco should have first stepped in and made a decision or at least required one of his coaches. The clear lack of decisions have retarded the team, the program, the players and the coaching staff.


For all of Bronco's new-wave management styles he certainly failed to give his OC a deadline on a starting roster and hold his OC to that deadline. Would be awesome if at work I could delay meeting my responsibilities via indecision.


What is frustrating about its is that bronco's knows this and lives by this. remember when beck left. this was his philosophy. for some reason he ignored that this time around. huge mistake.
C
Cougarfan87
jonnylingo wrote:
kitic77 wrote:
There is no facet of our offense that would not be better today were Anae to have ended tryouts come week 2 of fall practices. If you can't decide, you decide. Since clearly it makes no difference WHO you decide, them all being apparently equal, the only BAD decision is NO decision.

BINGO! And this is where Bronco should have first stepped in and made a decision or at least required one of his coaches. The clear lack of decisions have retarded the team, the program, the players and the coaching staff.


For all of Bronco's new-wave management styles he certainly failed to give his OC a deadline on a starting roster and hold his OC to that deadline. Would be awesome if at work I could delay meeting my responsibilities via indecision.


What is frustrating about its is that bronco's knows this and lives by this. remember when beck left. this was his philosophy. for some reason he ignored that this time around. huge mistake.


I don't think this year was the same situation. After Beck left, Max Hall was the clear starter after Spring Ball. This year you had one coach wanting one QB and another coach wanting another QB. Bronco wanted them to sort it out, which they did not, and we know the rest. From now on, I gaurantee that if we ever come down to a tie with which coaches want which QB to start, Bronco will cast a tie breaking vote rather than go through this again.
T
taekwondave
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Gunk wrote:
taekwondave wrote:
There is no facet of our offense that would not be better today were Anae to have ended tryouts come week 2 of fall practices. If you can't decide, you decide. Since clearly it makes no difference WHO you decide, them all being apparently equal, the only BAD decision is NO decision.

BINGO! And this is where Bronco should have first stepped in and made a decision or at least required one of his coaches. The clear lack of decisions have retarded the team, the program, the players and the coaching staff.


For all of Bronco's new-wave management styles he certainly failed to give his OC a deadline on a starting roster and hold his OC to that deadline. Would be awesome if at work I could delay meeting my responsibilities via indecision.


What is frustrating about its is that bronco's knows this and lives by this. remember when beck left. this was his philosophy. for some reason he ignored that this time around. huge mistake.


I don't think this year was the same situation. After Beck left, Max Hall was the clear starter after Spring Ball. This year you had one coach wanting one QB and another coach wanting another QB. Bronco wanted them to sort it out, which they did not, and we know the rest. From now on, I gaurantee that if we ever come down to a tie with which coaches want which QB to start, Bronco will cast a tie breaking vote rather than go through this again.


Totally agree. I think Bronco is bright enough to realize that was a huge mistake. He rolled the dice playing two quarterbacks and now he's learned what so many unfortunate souls have learned before him. I doubt it will happen again.
M
Mars
jonnylingo wrote:
http://byu.scout.com/2/1013975.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



This is how we are trying to get two starting tight ends. By playing with their heads and continually shuffling them around. Our coaches are the most indecisive lamos ever. Make a freaking decision!! They are screwing the tight ends... They have been mismanaged beyond belief. Am I the only one that thinks this is crazy?

"Coach Anae..." said Marcus Mathews... "He's not going to give us anything. We learned that from day one... everybody has had their time on the scout team. Richard [Wilson] and I were on the scout team earlier, Austin [Holt] had it last week, and now Devin [Mahina] and Mike [Muehlmann] are there now..." As Mathews said, Mahina - who has seen a lot of playing time and even caught a pass against TCU - has been moved down to the scout team this week as BYU prepares for Wyoming... Just after being assigned to the scout team for the first time this year, Muehlmann was reassigned after Austin Holt suffered a concussion. "I've personally been on the first team every week, but I was moved down to the scout team this week," Muehlmann said. "I was moved back to the first team [Tuesday]." ...Mathews, he's been caught in the merry-go-round as well. "I'm on the first-team right now," Mathews said. "After the Air Force game I was moved down to the scout team that week, and then I came back after Florida State"... "It is kind of like musical chairs and nobody really knows...” Muehlmann said... "Yeah, I'm not really sure of all of the reasons, but knowing Coach Anae... it's all about Coach Anae testing us," Mathews said. "He doesn't really know us all that well and so he's testing us... For whatever all of his reasons are, we have to show [Coach Anae] that we are tough," Mathews said...



Sending young and inexperienced players back and forth could also be a way in which the coaches are making an effort to help them develop some mental fortitude. "With how this season is going, I think mental toughness is something we have to build," Mathews said. "This season has been tough so far. I mean, we're 2-5 and we know we're better than that. We haven't been executing what we know we can"... However, a lack of experience with the first team could possibly cause poor performances when the opportunity arises. It's hard to understand how chemistry-building opportunities are created through a carousel system... Mathews said... "Kind of how it is is you don't want to be on the scout team. You want to be on the first team getting reps and getting your timing and chemistry down with the quarterbacks and the linemen with all the calls and stuff..."






1- Anae is nuts. This is crazy. The TEs are being mismanaged beyond belief.



2- The guys writing this article don't like Anae, that's obvious. They're basically publicly campaigning for him to be fired by writing this piece.
T
taekwondave
Mars wrote:
http://byu.scout.com/2/1013975.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



This is how we are trying to get two starting tight ends. By playing with their heads and continually shuffling them around. Our coaches are the most indecisive lamos ever. Make a freaking decision!! They are screwing the tight ends... They have been mismanaged beyond belief. Am I the only one that thinks this is crazy?

"Coach Anae..." said Marcus Mathews... "He's not going to give us anything. We learned that from day one... everybody has had their time on the scout team. Richard [Wilson] and I were on the scout team earlier, Austin [Holt] had it last week, and now Devin [Mahina] and Mike [Muehlmann] are there now..." As Mathews said, Mahina - who has seen a lot of playing time and even caught a pass against TCU - has been moved down to the scout team this week as BYU prepares for Wyoming... Just after being assigned to the scout team for the first time this year, Muehlmann was reassigned after Austin Holt suffered a concussion. "I've personally been on the first team every week, but I was moved down to the scout team this week," Muehlmann said. "I was moved back to the first team [Tuesday]." ...Mathews, he's been caught in the merry-go-round as well. "I'm on the first-team right now," Mathews said. "After the Air Force game I was moved down to the scout team that week, and then I came back after Florida State"... "It is kind of like musical chairs and nobody really knows...” Muehlmann said... "Yeah, I'm not really sure of all of the reasons, but knowing Coach Anae... it's all about Coach Anae testing us," Mathews said. "He doesn't really know us all that well and so he's testing us... For whatever all of his reasons are, we have to show [Coach Anae] that we are tough," Mathews said...



Sending young and inexperienced players back and forth could also be a way in which the coaches are making an effort to help them develop some mental fortitude. "With how this season is going, I think mental toughness is something we have to build," Mathews said. "This season has been tough so far. I mean, we're 2-5 and we know we're better than that. We haven't been executing what we know we can"... However, a lack of experience with the first team could possibly cause poor performances when the opportunity arises. It's hard to understand how chemistry-building opportunities are created through a carousel system... Mathews said... "Kind of how it is is you don't want to be on the scout team. You want to be on the first team getting reps and getting your timing and chemistry down with the quarterbacks and the linemen with all the calls and stuff..."






1- Anae is nuts. This is crazy. The TEs are being mismanaged beyond belief.



2- The guys writing this article don't like Anae, that's obvious. They're basically publicly campaigning for him to be fired by writing this piece.


Good grief. The season is NOT the time to teach players valuable lessons by screwing with their heads. Save that for the offseason when they are supposed to be competing for a position. Playing this game is sacrificing production. You don't sacrifice this season for next season. You don't use this season as a test tube for next season. You don't experiment with your players during the season to see how they'll react so you know who you'll start the next season. When ANY season rolls around, you take one game at a time and you do whatever is necessary to win. I will GLADLY get public for my displeasure with Anae. I amTHIS close to making a sign and parading around the stadium with it on Saturday.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.