Archived Topic

4 "Gimme" Games?

by snoscythe · 10/20/2010

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I look at the next four games, and I don't have much confidence in our team going 4-0 through Wyoming, CSU, UNLV, and UNM.



I have confidence that our defense can hold these teams under 24 points, but I have little confidence in our offense's ability to score 24+ points four weeks in a row.



We are used to these games being gimme games, but we have to remember that this is not the same Cougar offense that has blown these teams out in the past. This Cougar offense is one of the most inept offenses in the country, and likely the worst BYU offense since the forward pass came about. These teams have given up a lot of points, but they have given up a lot of points to teams that score a lot of points. Teams that score more points in quarters than we do in games.



I think we beat UNM and UNLV, but Wyoming and CSU will be dog-fights. I think we will be surprised at Wyoming--they look really bad until you see who they have played--Texas, BSU, TCU, AFA, and Utah--a more difficult schedule than we have. CSU started off horrendously, but they have a freshman quarterback that is actually improving, and they have looked light-years better each of the past two weeks.



I hate to say it, but I think we go 3-1 at best through this stretch, and limp into the Utah game with bowl-eligibilty on the line.
L
Lawboy
CSU has looked better because of who they played. Don;t fool yourself. CSU is still not a good team. We will look better playing those same teams as well. I think 4-0 is a great possibility. none of those 4 teams are better than SDSU is all I know.
S
snoscythe
Lawboy wrote:
CSU has looked better because of who they played. Don;t fool yourself. CSU is still not a good team. We will look better playing those same teams as well. I think 4-0 is a great possibility. none of those 4 teams are better than SDSU is all I know.


And some are better than USU. We were lucky to beat SDSU with a new defensive and offensive philosophy neither of which was on film yet. Who had the better game against TCU--CSU or us? Don't fool yourself into thinking the next month is full of patsies--when you are a patsy, there are no patsies on your schedule. We are a patsy this season.
A
ABYUFAN
At this moment, I'm not sure what would be better for this team. While Bowl eligibility provides 20 plus extra practices, i see missing out on a bowl to be that much more of a fire lighter than barely qualifying for a bowl game and thinking that minimal changes plus time will make everything better. I'm wanting wh9olesale changes, and am thinking that missing a bowl game makes them that much more likely.



Oh... and PS if there is a ration of wholesale changes to be made int he offseason, I'm not sure i see the benefit of having a bunch of more practices with the lame-duck regeme
C
craigoscarson
Keep in mind where we're playing these games. We'll go 4-0 and we'll do it comfortably.



We're going from what in our 1st 7 games is a top 5 difficulty schedule to what would be the easiest schedule in college football over 4 games. And to our benefit, we got to play those teams after getting our young guys some experience.



BYU should have refused to play Air Force so early... a UNLV or New Mexico in that same slot would have been the perfect game after UW.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
craigoscarson wrote:
Keep in mind where we're playing these games. We'll go 4-0 and we'll do it comfortably.



We're going from what in our 1st 7 games is a top 5 difficulty schedule to what would be the easiest schedule in college football over 4 games. And to our benefit, we got to play those teams after getting our young guys some experience.



BYU should have refused to play Air Force so early... a UNLV or New Mexico in that same slot would have been the perfect game after UW.


This is the thought process that worries me. I could understand it if this was any of our past four seasons, but I have seen nothing from our team to inspire one iota of confidence in 4-0.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
YBrit
How could anyone assume we'd go 4-0 with this team?



I don't give this team any wins. I expect as a BYU fan to win, but I think this team could lose to An(y)ae of these 4 crappy teams. I hope they do just so that Bronco realizes that he's not happy with the play-calling and forces a change. Basically, if Heaps doesn't start improving, or receivers don't start improving we'll start pulling scholarships and players will start transferring.



3-1 likely

4-0 doubtful (prove me otherwise Cougs) If we can put up 24 points I'll be comfortable with 4-0 discussion.
A
ABYUFAN
snoscythe wrote:
Keep in mind where we're playing these games. We'll go 4-0 and we'll do it comfortably.



We're going from what in our 1st 7 games is a top 5 difficulty schedule to what would be the easiest schedule in college football over 4 games. And to our benefit, we got to play those teams after getting our young guys some experience.



BYU should have refused to play Air Force so early... a UNLV or New Mexico in that same slot would have been the perfect game after UW.


This is the thought process that worries me. I could understand it if this was any of our past four seasons, but I have seen nothing from our team to inspire one iotaof confidence in 4-0.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


What is the plural of iota? 'Cause I think I have two iotans of confidence...but that's it! :lol:
B
BroncoBot
I hate to agree with you sno, but I have had this sinking feeling that BYU is not going to make it to the utah game unscathed.



Time will tell. But as of now, I have zero confidence in the offense to beat ANYONE that fields an 11 man defense. I actually might have to change my status now.
B
BoiseBYU
I have not seen ANYTHING to suggest the next four games are gimmees. NOTHING. Wed better play as a team with some fire if we hope to win these games. I have seen enough of the D to think they will sho and play hard but I have not seen evidence in our coaching and play calling and play making on offense to have any confidence with respect to the O



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
ABYUFAN wrote:
What is the plural of iota? 'Cause I think I have two iotans of confidence...but that's it! :lol:


Maybe iota is plural, and the singular form is iotum.
F
frdbtr
I have been thinking about this stretch all day. I am pretty confident that BYU holds their home field but that game against CSU is scary. I think if they lose one, it will be that one on the road.
N
northerncougar
We will lose to CSU and a loss to Wyoming is likely. I give us a 60% chance of beating WY. This offenses has mailed it in like the D did earlier this year. If Bronco can be a miracle worker with the O like he was the D then things will change.



Until then I have no belief that this team will go 4-0.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
Except the fact that we beat better teams at home in UW and SDSU? Our guys have battled at home and won. I dont' think we'll see anything less than that and CSU is just plain awful.



It's really not important how much confidence you have in the Cougs as long as you're confident that CSU, UNLV and New Mexico are 3 of the worst teams in college football and 3 of the worst ever in MWC history. Wyoming isn't as bad as their record, but they're also coming to Provo...



We go 4-0. (remember I'm the one that also said at the beginning that I didn't expect more than 7-8 wins best case scenario) It's all about the schedule and it's now on our side.
B
byutx
UNM might be the worst team in the history of the MWC. At least bottom 3 for sure. That's a gimme game. The UNLV is close to a gimme game. I'm a bit worried about CSU on the road, but still think we win that one. The more I look at Wyoming, the more I worry about them. I'm just glad it's in Provo. Sure, they're bottom 5 in many major offensive and defensive categories, including the most important ones. But, they've played what I think actually is a tougher schedule, at least at the very top (Utah, TCU, BSU are all top 10; Texas is top 25-30).



I think we'll go at least 3-1. If we have any luck and if bronco can inspire just a bit more out of the offense, we'll go 4-0. Unless we don't.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Mingjai wrote:
What is the plural of iota? 'Cause I think I have two iotans of confidence...but that's it! :lol:


Maybe iota is plural, and the singular form is iotum.

I don't think so. Iota comes from Greek not Latin. I'm guessing it doesn't have a plural like deer.
S
Schmoe
It's gotta happen, we've gotta win these four, it just has to happen.



And the plural of "iota" is "iotas."
C
Cougarbib
I was wondering about iotii



Wyoming Vs BYU would be at best 50/50 on a neutral field maybe even less than 50/50. It is hard to say. They haven't really beaten anyone, but they haven't lost to anyone that resembles USU either.



THis is what makes these things tough to measure and compare. The dregs of the MWC are usually better than their records indicate - UNM may be an excpetoin lately.



They all play rollover games, usually on the road, for national powers - and not just 1 a year.



That is what killed the MWC. Imagine if Wyoming, instead, loaded up on Weber State, SUU, Idaho, Idaho State, NM State, SJSU, etc., with maybe a stretch game home and away with Iowa State or Baylor or Colorado or Washington State. Then they go 5-4 or 4-5 in MWC and end up Bowl Eligible every year and are no longer a dreg.



Imagine AFA, CSU, UNLV, SDSU, UNM, and Wyoming all doing just that other than Army and Navy for AFA. MWC would end up with 7 Bowl eligible teams annually and would have a middle and a smaller bottom. Just ask the SEC.
J
jonnylingo
snoscythe wrote:
I look at the next four games, and I don't have much confidence in our team going 4-0 through Wyoming, CSU, UNLV, and UNM.



I have confidence that our defense can hold these teams under 24 points, but I have little confidence in our offense's ability to score 24+ points four weeks in a row.



We are used to these games being gimme games, but we have to remember that this is not the same Cougar offense that has blown these teams out in the past. This Cougar offense is one of the most inept offenses in the country, and likely the worst BYU offense since the forward pass came about. These teams have given up a lot of points, but they have given up a lot of points to teams that score a lot of points. Teams that score more points in quarters than we do in games.



I think we beat UNM and UNLV, but Wyoming and CSU will be dog-fights. I think we will be surprised at Wyoming--they look really bad until you see who they have played--Texas, BSU, TCU, AFA, and Utah--a more difficult schedule than we have. CSU started off horrendously, but they have a freshman quarterback that is actually improving, and they have looked light-years better each of the past two weeks.



I hate to say it, but I think we go 3-1 at best through this stretch, and limp into the Utah game with bowl-eligibilty on the line.

I disagree. We win the next four games. Csu and wyoming will be the closest two but we win the others by more than a touchdown.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
craigoscarson wrote:
Except the fact that we beat better teams at home in UW and SDSU? Our guys have battled at home and won. I dont' think we'll see anything less than that and CSU is just plain awful.



It's really not important how much confidence you have in the Cougs as long as you're confident that CSU, UNLV and New Mexico are 3 of the worst teams in college football and 3 of the worst ever in MWC history. Wyoming isn't as bad as their record, but they're also coming to Provo...



We go 4-0. (remember I'm the one that also said at the beginning that I didn't expect more than 7-8 wins best case scenario) It's all about the schedule and it's now on our side.

Bingo! How could we beat sdsu and udub and then lose to new mexico and unlv. We own wyoming and will never lose to them at home. The only challenge is csu away and we can still win that game.



We are bad but not that bad. Usu was a fluke



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.