Archived Topic

My kudos to Universe regarding Chambers

by EM_Puma · 10/20/2010

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
http://universe.byu.edu/node/11559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I was very surprised to see the BYU Universe (When did they drop the name "Daily" or do they just drop it for the Internet version of the school paper?) do an interview with O'neil Chambers that was negative on the coaching staff at BYU. The article was written by a Universe staff writer Alexander Hairston.



The article reflects OC's version of what happened and is therefore skewed in his favor, but following journalistic integrity, The Universe did reach a BYU spokesman for comment, which was declined.



Even though I know the article is OC's version and therefore not looking to shine any negativism on his actions, it still is disturbing to me some of his comments, especially the following:



"Chambers said he believes the real problem behind the team’s recent woes, and especially Heaps’ struggles, are coaching deficiencies. The coaches were making it harder for him, and were hindering Jake’s progress,” he said."



I'm sure we're not hearing the full story because the BYU coaching staff is too classy to discuss this inside issue as they should.



And as stated, kudos to The Universe and Hairston on their approach to reporting what is said and not filtering it with Cougar Blue goggles or like some SLTrib sports writers that look specifically for negative press.



Of course that is his take, but that does not make me feel confortable in the light of the poor season we are experiencing.



One other comment indicated to me of how much this article was flavored with OC not being the bad guy or responsible for anything wrong:



"Chambers also said he did not “get the same opportunities as other players get here.”



I saw a freshman player that was given plenty of opportunites that other freshman players would have been salivating at, at the time. I appreciate OC's contributions to the team, but purely as a fan, I think he was better in his mind than on the field, but that's my opinion only.
F
frdbtr
EM_Puma wrote:
http://universe.byu.edu/node/11559



I was very surprised to see the BYU Universe (When did they drop the name "Daily" or do they just drop it for the Internet version of the school paper?) do an interview with O'neil Chambers that was negative on the coaching staff at BYU. The article was written by a Universe staff writer Alexander Hairston.



The article reflects OC's version of what happened and is therefore skewed in his favor, but following journalistic integrity, The Universe did reach a BYU spokesman for comment, which was declined.



Even though I know the article is OC's version and therefore not looking to shine any negativism on his actions, it still is disturbing to me some of his comments, especially the following:



"Chambers said he believes the real problem behind the team’s recent woes, and especially Heaps’ struggles, are coaching deficiencies. The coaches were making it harder for him, and were hindering Jake’s progress,” he said."



I'm sure we're not hearing the full story because the BYU coaching staff is too classy to discuss this inside issue as they should.



And as stated, kudos to The Universe and Hairston on their approach to reporting what is said and not filtering it with Cougar Blue goggles, unlike some SLTrib sports writers that look specifically for negative press.



Of course that is his take, but that does not make me feel confortable in the light of the poor season we are experiencing.



One other comment indicated to me of how much this article was flavored with OC not being the bad guy or responsible for anything wrong:



"Chambers also said he did not “get the same opportunities as other players get here.”


I think that Chambers comments on coaching go right along with Monson's article on Robert Anae. That article touches on some things that show how badly the QB situation was handled this year. It has solidified my opinion that BYU may lose one of the next 4 games if Robert Anae isn't removed and Reynolds and Doman given the offense.
Y
YBrit
This does seem like a real interview, but some interviews have been made up and changed. OC would really go up to coaches with Heaps' stuff? Humans don't put themselves in those real awkward situations, meaning he was doing 2 things: 1-He was serious about Heaps sucking. 2-Wanted to be released.
G
Gunk
Saw this article too and must tip my hat to the Daily Universe for scooping the other papers.



Having been a reporter at the Daily Universe, my guess is either one of OC's roommates, friends or someone in his FHE group is a reporter at the Universe.
T
tmoney35
EM_Puma wrote:
"Chambers also said he did not “get the same opportunities as other players get here.”


Really? Hasn't he started pretty much every game he was eligible for and taken a vast majority of the punt and kick-off returns for the past couple years?



You know, he's right. We never really gave him a chance to succeed here :roll:
Advertisement
M
Mars
tmoney35 wrote:
"Chambers also said he did not “get the same opportunities as other players get here.”
Really? Hasn't he started pretty much every game he was eligible for and taken a vast majority of the punt and kick-off returns for the past couple years?
Do I think that Anae/Bronco play RMs more than non-RMs and non-Mormons?





Worse player Ashworth (RM) was given an equal shot with Chambers (non-LDS) at WR his Sophomore and Junior years. Hoffman (non-RM) and Apo (non-RM) were both behind Ashworth on the depth chart as well, although they have more talent. Falslev (non-RM) and Marshall (non-RM) aren't getting a shot behind a disinterested Jacobsen (RM). The sudden disappearance of Wilson, our best Blue Zone TE (and the only non-RM tight end).



Same story with Anae's pet Kariya (RM) getting as many carries as much more-talented JJ (non-RM) this year and last and more than Quezada (non-LDS). Riley Nelson (RM) playing ahead of Jake Heaps (non-RM).



Same thing on defense actually... Uale (RM)/Mees (RM) playing ahead of a better Jray (non-RM), Bradley (RM) starting ahead of faster, better coverage-man Eason (non-LDS), almost everyone getting more reps at LB than non-RMs Van Noy and Stout (RMs Frazier, Hunter, Leung-Wai, Ogletree, Jorgensen, Wagner, Hess, Mendenhall), fast play-maker Bryson (non-RM) being stuck far back in the rotation at DE behind slower RMs (EM, Putnam), etc...
G
Guest
Mars wrote:
Worse player Ashworth (RM) was given an equal shot with Chambers (non-LDS) at WR his Sophomore and Junior years. Hoffman (non-RM) and Apo (non-RM) were both behind Ashworth on the depth chart as well, although they have more talent. Falslev (non-RM) and Marshall (non-RM) aren't getting a shot behind a disinterested Jacobsen (RM). The sudden disappearance of Wilson, our best Blue Zone TE (and the only non-RM tight end).


What about the fact that Ashworth has left the Church? Wouldn't someone who is more interested in playing RMs have a bit of a problem with an RM that joins another religion? Or is it just an age issue?
K
kfilly20
I truly believe that being an RM has nothing to do with playing time. I do think the coaches put an emphasis on giving older players a chance before freshman which makes sense really. Coaches seem to be having difficulty realizing when an older player just clearly isnt going to cut it and getting him out of there though.
E
EM_Puma
hawkwing wrote:
What about the fact that Ashworth has left the Church? Wouldn't someone who is more interested in playing RMs have a bit of a problem with an RM that joins another religion? Or is it just an age issue?


What? This is a story I've never seen before. What is your source?



To me it wouldn't matter as far as the team goes, but I find it very unusual that a RM playing for BYU would leave the LDS Church and join another religion. Most people dissatisfied with their religion to that point aren't going to stick around such and institution.
G
Guest
EM_Puma wrote:
What about the fact that Ashworth has left the Church? Wouldn't someone who is more interested in playing RMs have a bit of a problem with an RM that joins another religion? Or is it just an age issue?


What? This is a story I've never seen before. What is your source?



To me it wouldn't matter as far as the team goes, but I find it very unusual that a RM playing for BYU would leave the LDS Church and join another religion. Most people dissatisfied with their religion to that point aren't going to stick around such and institution.


I had heard stories about it here and there, but his facebook page says it all: http://www.facebook.com/luker.ashworth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
What about the fact that Ashworth has left the Church? Wouldn't someone who is more interested in playing RMs have a bit of a problem with an RM that joins another religion? Or is it just an age issue?


What? This is a story I've never seen before. What is your source?



To me it wouldn't matter as far as the team goes, but I find it very unusual that a RM playing for BYU would leave the LDS Church and join another religion. Most people dissatisfied with their religion to that point aren't going to stick around such and institution.


I had heard stories about it here and there, but his facebook page says it all: http://www.facebook.com/luker.ashworth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Doesn't really say much to me. I think if you are LDS you consider yourself Christian, and last I checked, LDS people do engage in Bible study with non-LDS friends. This is not to deny it, but I think his page as proof, (at least what I can see), is thin at best.

But if he did I guess we can see why he has had no "magic happen" for him this year. ;)



But if he did it was probably Blueisbetter's fault for calling him "ashworthless"! :lol:
I
imuakahuku
Mars wrote:
EM_Puma wrote:
"Chambers also said he did not “get the same opportunities as other players get here.”
Really? Hasn't he started pretty much every game he was eligible for and taken a vast majority of the punt and kick-off returns for the past couple years?
Do I think that Anae/Bronco play RMs more than non-RMs and non-Mormons?





Worse player Ashworth (RM) was given an equal shot with Chambers (non-LDS) at WR his Sophomore and Junior years. Hoffman (non-RM) and Apo (non-RM) were both behind Ashworth on the depth chart as well, although they have more talent. Falslev (non-RM) and Marshall (non-RM) aren't getting a shot behind a disinterested Jacobsen (RM). The sudden disappearance of Wilson, our best Blue Zone TE (and the only non-RM tight end).



Same story with Anae's pet Kariya (RM) getting as many carries as much more-talented JJ (non-RM) this year and last and more than Quezada (non-LDS). Riley Nelson (RM) playing ahead of Jake Heaps (non-RM).



Same thing on defense actually... Uale (RM)/Mees (RM) playing ahead of a better Jray (non-RM), Bradley (RM) starting ahead of faster, better coverage-man Eason (non-LDS), almost everyone getting more reps at LB than non-RMs Van Noy and Stout (RMs Frazier, Hunter, Leung-Wai, Ogletree, Jorgensen, Wagner, Hess, Mendenhall), fast play-maker Bryson (non-RM) being stuck far back in the rotation at DE behind slower RMs (EM, Putnam), etc...


Any of those non-RM's senior or are they all juniors?
C
CannonCougar85
imuakahuku wrote:
EM_Puma wrote:
What about the fact that Ashworth has left the Church? Wouldn't someone who is more interested in playing RMs have a bit of a problem with an RM that joins another religion? Or is it just an age issue?


What? This is a story I've never seen before. What is your source?



To me it wouldn't matter as far as the team goes, but I find it very unusual that a RM playing for BYU would leave the LDS Church and join another religion. Most people dissatisfied with their religion to that point aren't going to stick around such and institution.


I had heard stories about it here and there, but his facebook page says it all: http://www.facebook.com/luker.ashworth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Doesn't really say much to me. I think if you are LDS you consider yourself Christian, and last I checked, LDS people do engage in Bible study with non-LDS friends. This is not to deny it, but I think his page as proof, (at least what I can see), is thin at best.

But if he did I guess we can see why he has had no "magic happen" for him this year. ;)



But if he did it was probably Blueisbetter's fault for calling him "ashworthless"! :lol:


I know Ashworth and although he has gone a different direction spiritually he is still true blue all the way. Even after his falling away from the church there was no thought of transferring because this is where he wants to play. He's a great guy.



His on the field performance is definitely lacking though and I have no idea why that is. He has had solid hands every year up until now.



And no his conversion to another faith did not happen over the offseason, it happened a long time ago.
S
SpiffCoug
CannonCougar85 wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
What about the fact that Ashworth has left the Church? Wouldn't someone who is more interested in playing RMs have a bit of a problem with an RM that joins another religion? Or is it just an age issue?


What? This is a story I've never seen before. What is your source?



To me it wouldn't matter as far as the team goes, but I find it very unusual that a RM playing for BYU would leave the LDS Church and join another religion. Most people dissatisfied with their religion to that point aren't going to stick around such and institution.


I had heard stories about it here and there, but his facebook page says it all: http://www.facebook.com/luker.ashworth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Doesn't really say much to me. I think if you are LDS you consider yourself Christian, and last I checked, LDS people do engage in Bible study with non-LDS friends. This is not to deny it, but I think his page as proof, (at least what I can see), is thin at best.

But if he did I guess we can see why he has had no "magic happen" for him this year. ;)



But if he did it was probably Blueisbetter's fault for calling him "ashworthless"! :lol:


I know Ashworth and although he has gone a different direction spiritually he is still true blue all the way. Even after his falling away from the church there was no thought of transferring because this is where he wants to play. He's a great guy.



His on the field performance is definitely lacking though and I have no idea why that is. He has had solid hands every year up until now.



And no his conversion to another faith did not happen over the offseason, it happened a long time ago.

Yeah, a long time ago - like on his mission - from what I've heard. If it happened before his mission, then why did he serve. If it happened after his mission it wasn't that long ago. If it happened on his mission, why would he continue to serve?
A
ABYUFAN
kitic77 wrote:

Yeah, a long time ago - like on his mission - from what I've heard. If it happened before his mission, then why did he serve. If it happened after his mission it wasn't that long ago. If it happened on his mission, why would he continue to serve?

All very good questions
Advertisement
C
CannonCougar85
ABYUFAN wrote:

Yeah, a long time ago - like on his mission - from what I've heard. If it happened before his mission, then why did he serve. If it happened after his mission it wasn't that long ago. If it happened on his mission, why would he continue to serve?

All very good questions


Experiences on his mission planted thoughts and ideas in his head. Full conversion doesn't happen overnight.
K
kfilly20
His reasons for changing religions, serving a mission, not coming home early, etc ..... basically anything to do with his religion or mission are really irrelevant to you and I. To him and his family very relevant, to you and I extremely irrelevant. He is obviously not performing very well, but I doubt his religion or mission has anything to do with it, unless god hates him now because he isn't mormon and is punishing him. It takes a lot of heart to not only quit being mormon in Provo while on the BYU football team, let alone quit being mormon and openly join a church that you actually do believe in. I respect doing what he felt was right. Although I do wish he would catch the damn ball.
A
ABYUFAN
CannonCougar85 wrote:
kitic77 wrote:

Yeah, a long time ago - like on his mission - from what I've heard. If it happened before his mission, then why did he serve. If it happened after his mission it wasn't that long ago. If it happened on his mission, why would he continue to serve?

All very good questions


Experiences on his mission planted thoughts and ideas in his head. Full conversion doesn't happen overnight.


Apparantly not; it didn't happen in the 19+ years before his mission, it would be curious if it happend in the 24 months on it...
C
CannonCougar85
ABYUFAN wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:

Yeah, a long time ago - like on his mission - from what I've heard. If it happened before his mission, then why did he serve. If it happened after his mission it wasn't that long ago. If it happened on his mission, why would he continue to serve?

All very good questions


Experiences on his mission planted thoughts and ideas in his head. Full conversion doesn't happen overnight.


Apparantly not; it didn't happen in the 19+ years before his mission, it would be curious if it happend in the 24 months on it...


The kid spent those 19+ in Provo, the heart of Mormondom. A mission gets you away from Provo and into the world where you are exposed to new things.



This is the last I'll post on Ashworth. I've held off commenting on Ashworth for a long long time but I had to say something today. It's none of our business really. I wish Ashworth the best.
A
ABYUFAN
CannonCougar85 wrote:

This is the last I'll post on Ashworth. I've held off commenting on Ashworth for a long long time but I had to say something today. It's none of our business really. I wish Ashworth the best.


I doubt that it's "none of our business" - it seems that it's convienintly our business some times and not others; but I agree that the best thing to do is wish him the best...
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.