Archived Topic

What Do We Gain By Waiting 'Till Season's End to Change

by OhYePoorFools · 10/19/2010

Advertisement
O
OhYePoorFools
What do we gain by letting the current OC ride his busted and ridiculous offensive machine into the sunset? Absolutely nothing. In fact it further sets us up for failure and confusion at season's end.

How will we feel if we win the next 4 games? All of us will feel better, and we will be tempted into thinking that maybe, just maybe with enough time and experience this group will come around. We will be tempted to believe that the coaching has never been an issue. All along its been a problem of inexperience, loss of all our offensive talent, and one of the nation's most difficult schedules.

For me, my mind was made up with this last TCU loss. It dawned on me clear as day (I don't know why I refused to see it earlier--blue goggles I guess) that the current offensive leadership will not and will never get us to an elite level.

And as sad as it is for me to admit (because I REALLY like Bronco--and I love him as DC) I don't know how effective Bronco is as head coach. At the end of the day, when the wheels come off the bus to the extent that they have with this year's cougs, the blame MUST fall on the HC. Whatever lapses in coaching, leadership or passion that have worked their way into our system have been completely missed or ignored by Mendenhall.

I really do not know what the answer is lads, but I know that if we want to stand with the BSUs, the TCUs and even the Us of college football, we have to make a change. We need the right guy in the right position and the sooner the better
F
frdbtr
you keep using the word "we" I think that this post needs to be sent to Bronco since he is the one that has the power. None of us have it. Whether I think that Anae needs to be let go or not is irrelevant since Bronco stated when he let Hill go that no more changes were going to be made until after the season. And then yesterday he said he was satisfied with the play calling. It really does no good to keep up the constant whining on this board that Anae needs to go now.



Disclaimer, this post is not meant directly at the author of the original post, it is meant for all of us.
Y
YBrit
I haven't heard much complaining during 06-09, other than occasional methods questioning. If we keep winning 10+games a season I'd be okay with Anae staying, but I'm never okay with sub-500 seasons even in rebuilding years. That's Ute basketball, not BYU football. I'm okay with any changes anytime.
O
OhYePoorFools
I certainly do not have any power, and yes I am whining a bit.

But I believe most guys on here want to talk about what is going on, not what is easy to hear.
S
SpiffCoug
YBrit wrote:
I haven't heard much complaining during 06-09, other than occasional methods questioning. If we keep winning 10+games a season I'd be okay with Anae staying, but I'm never okay with sub-500 seasons even in rebuilding years. That's Ute basketball, not BYU football. I'm okay with any changes anytime.


I think the general thinking is that Anae had struggles in 2005, but that could be explained by the new offense. While the offense didn't entirely struggle in 2006-2009, there were myriad games where the offense was inconsistent or poor (AZ 2006 & 2008, UCLA 2007 x2, Utah 2007-2009, Eastern Wash 2007, TCU 2007-2009, OU 2009, FSU 2009, UNM 2007-2009).



We didn't lose them all and our NFL-ready talent covered Anae's deficiencies. In 2010, we don't have NFL-ready talent, and the same problems we saw in 2005 and at times in 2006-2009 are now rearing their ugly heads with a vengeance.



At least that's my gripe with Anae. He doesn't appear to have gotten better in six years as a play caller and offensive coordinator and it seems that only NFL talent was keeping the offense and team afloat.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Well I guess we need more NFL ready talent. I think a few Broncos, Frogs, and even Utes currently starting will be drafted this next draft and the draft after that.



That is the biggest problem with this BYU team, especially on offense. So, other than Matt Reynolds, who on this offense do you see getting drafted this draft or the next draft?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mingjai
kitic77 wrote:
I think the general thinking is that Anae had struggles in 2005, but that could be explained by the new offense. While the offense didn't entirely struggle in 2006-2009, there were myriad games where the offense was inconsistent or poor (AZ 2006 & 2008, UCLA 2007 x2, Utah 2007-2009, Eastern Wash 2007, TCU 2007-2009, OU 2009, FSU 2009, UNM 2007-2009).


Amen. It's looking like smoke and mirrors at this point. As I noted before, BYU's scoring output against TCU has gone down every year since 2005, indicating that TCU has figured out BYU's offense and/or Anae hasn't figured out TCU's defense.



2005: 44 (not counting OT)

2006: 31

2007: 27

2008: 7

2009: 7

2010: 3



In 2008 and 2009, BYU's offense against TCU's defense should have been strength against strength. All that NFL talent and BYU still only garners 7 points two years in a row?! In 2009, only UNLV and CSU score less points against TCU. Sure, they were up for BYU, but BYU should have been up for them--fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice...



On a somewhat related note, I'm still waiting for the day that BYU hangs 40+ points on Utah. Since 1997, it's either been close game or Utah wins big--no BYU wins big.



Back to the original topic--if BYU is considering making a change, they should do it soon. I imagine if BYU's offense has another USU showing against Wyoming, changes will occur.
L
Lawboy
I think the reason Bronco is making no changes with the OC right now is because he does not have someone on staff to give the job to. That's right, I do not think Bronco sees Doman as the guy right now for OC. When Hill got canned, Bronco stepped in and ran it. WIth the O, who steps in right now? Doman or Reynolds. Do you want to give it to either for the last 5 games, then go hire a new guy, or wait for the season to end, make the change, and go get a new guy? Wisdom says unless you have THE guy waiting in the wings--you wait. And BYU will wait.



I suspect coaches Anae and Higgins might both be moving on come January.
B
byutx
Bronco was able to pull the trigger on Jaime Hill because he is a defensive guy and could take over completely. I'm not sure Doman or Reynolds would do any better at this point. We have to think about these types of questions:



1-Do you limp through the rest of the season and hopefully pick up 4 wins (I think even Anae's offense should lead to 4 wins over the next 5 weeks) and get bowl elegible or do you pull the trigger now and risk doing worse?



2-And, if you're risking being worse temporarily for the rest of 2010, is that better for the long run of the team?



My thoughts:

1-I think you maybe keep Anae around and try to win 6 games and get bowl elegible. This team needs an extra month of practice.

2-Two more months of Anae probably won't hurt us any worse in the long run. (Unless Doman et al can get it done-then you fire him yesterday)

]
M
Mingjai
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Well I guess we need more NFL ready talent. I think a few Broncos, Frogs, and even Utes currently starting will be drafted this next draft and the draft after that.



That is the biggest problem with this BYU team, especially on offense. So, other than Matt Reynolds, who on this offense do you see getting drafted this draft or the next draft?[/img]


Who would we have seen getting drafted going in to the 2007 season?



Maybe BYU really did get lucky replacing Beck, Harline, Brown, and some possession receivers with Hall, Pitta, Unga, and Collie. If that's the case, I don't think BYU (or Anae) should count on attracting that same level of NFL talent all the time, so the offensive scheme should be properly calibrated to a more realistic level of talent.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Next biggest problem after lack of experienced talent is the schedule. Wyoming, after losses to BSU, TCU, Utah, AFA, and Texas comes to Provo as an even better example of what a ridiculous schedule can do to a decent, but not great, team.



I hope we do not take them lightly. We nearly lost to an 0-12 UW team two years ago who had a similarly ridiculous schedule to Wyoming this year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mingjai
Lawboy wrote:
I suspect coaches Anae and Higgins might both be moving on come January.
Unfortunately, the way this season is going, they might be moving on come December. I'm optimistic for a 4-1 finish, but I'm mentally and emotionally preparing myself for the realistic possibility that they finish 3-2.
C
Cougarbib
Someone suggested sending this thread to Bronco, apparently not noticing that this thread calls out Bronco for not being HC material. I would say send it to Holmoe, because unlike another thread on here yesterday that called for Holmoe to be fired, this thread does not. Play it safe and send it to President Thomas Monson - I haven't seen him called inept on CC. But be sure to send it to Thomas - not Gordon Monson by accident - as Gordon, too, is not respected here.



Right now, apparently no one is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Next biggest problem after lack of experienced talent is the schedule. Wyoming, after losses to BSU, TCU, Utah, AFA, and Texas comes to Provo as an even better example of what a ridiculous schedule can do to a decent, but not great, team.



I hope we do not take them lightly. We nearly lost to an 0-12 UW team two years ago who had a similarly ridiculous schedule to Wyoming this year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Eh, I think we win a lose scoring game. We can shut down their run, and they can;t hurt is with the pass like SDSU and TCU did. Plus, we can score on them similar to SDSU game. I like our chances in the next 4 to stop the opponent from scoring and to score just enough to get it done.
C
Cougarbib
We have a good chance beating Wyoming in Provo. I just wanted to point out to those assuming Wyoming is cake, they are 2-5 bs an even tougher schedule than BYU has played.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
I agree that BYU has not measured up to BSU and TCU at all the last few years, and other than 3 out of 4 on head-to-head which is poised to become 3 out of 6 or more, on the national stage U has been more respected lately.



Let's not forget how we got there or who we are. Former BYU player, KWhitt who also is rarely respected here turned us down. TCU and BSU coaches are not LDS and probably would not come here even if BYU raised it's uncompetitive pay scale.



So it is time for the donors to pony up $2m+ for a "next level" HC and more big bucks for his assistants - or shut up.



Our coaches are not idiots. They are not NC contenders either.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
O
OhYePoorFools
The problem I have with letting Anae run this thing out is that things WILL look alot better at year's end. We will have some wins against patsies, the offense will start rolling a little bit, and everything will seem like its heading in the right direction. this could conceivably lead to another extension in the Anae led offense. The reasoning will sound like this: "The offense is really starting to click. Our players are beginning to grasp the system and the young talent which has really struggled is maturing and will be primed to contribute in the coming years."

It frustrates me that we are giving the Offensive unit (coaches) so many passes and 2nd opportunities to right the ship. How long do you think an OC would have a job at BSU or TCU if they had as many poor performances against good opponents as Anae has had? Why? Because if the right man is not in place, the Offense has a perma-ceiling through which they can never progress.
S
SpiffCoug
Mingjai wrote:
Amen. It's looking like smoke and mirrors at this point. As I noted before, BYU's scoring output against TCU has gone down every year since 2005, indicating that TCU has figured out BYU's offense and/or Anae hasn't figured out TCU's defense.



2005: 44 (not counting OT)

2006: 31

2007: 27

2008: 7

2009: 7

2010: 3



In 2008 and 2009, BYU's offense against TCU's defense should have been strength against strength. All that NFL talent and BYU still only garners 7 points two years in a row?! In 2009, only UNLV and CSU score less points against TCU. Sure, they were up for BYU, but BYU should have been up for them--fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice...

It's more than points against TCU that have dropped. TCU has completely figured out how Anae approaches the offensive game. There is nothing BYU is doing well offensively since 2007 against TCU.



BYU's offensive 1st downs vs TCU:

2005: 33

2006: 20

2007: 19

2008: 19

2009: 18

2010: 10



Rushing:

2005: 39 carries, 133 yards, 3.4 ypc

2006: 34 carries, 72 yards, 2.1 ypc

2007: 34 carries, 112 yards, 3.3 ypc

2008: 28 carries, 23 yards, 0.8 ypc

2009: 37 carries, 110 yards, 3.0 ypc

2010: 27 carries, 56 yards, 2.1 ypc (25% of Bronco's losses when BYU has 33 or more rushing attempts have come against TCU)



Passing:

2005: 517 yards, 5 TDs, 168.49 rating

2006: 321 yards, 3 TDs, 161.79 rating

2007: 305 yards, 1 TD, 120.27 rating

2008: 274 yards, 0 TDs, 97.66 rating

2009: 188 yards, 1 TD, 112.40 rating

2010: 91 yards, 0 TDs, 58.81 rating

Last three years: 553 yards, 1 TD, 91.19 rating



3rd Down (Anae's bread and butter the last four years)

2005: 7-16 43.8%

2006: 9-17 52.9%

2007: 13-20 65%

2008: 10-18 55.6%

2009: 5-15 33.3%

2010: 3-14 21.4%



Explosive offensive plays (20 yards or more):

2005: 9

2006: 6

2007: 4

2008: 3

2009: 3

2010: 0



Sacks allowed:

2005: 4

2006: 2

2007: 1

2008: 6

2009: 5

2010: 3
C
Cougarbib
Is it possible that these stats parallel the rise in national prominence of TCU and their overall ranking improvement. They were a BCS team last year and should have been the year before and are ranked #4 this year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


Robert Anae was hired the same day that Bronco Mendenhall was. I believe that Bronco wants to send the man out as graciously and respectably as possible, and waiting until after the season ends is the best way he sees to do that. It is not easy to fire someone who has been your successful business partner and friend for years, and Bronco is not the type to do so in a cavalier manner.



While Anae came on board in 2005, Hill came on board years later. And Bronco was an expert in the area where Hill was a little over his head. Bronco isn't an expert in the offense, and even if he was, he is spread as thin as he can be already.



Also, you don't want to shake up recruiting until you have a chance to do a full, complete review of all the names out there that are possibilities to come in, and those that actually want the job. That goes for multiple positions, not just OC.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.