Archived Topic

Drew Phillips has 22 stars on his cleats

by CannonCougar85 · 10/18/2010

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Awesome article. Love the guys attitude intensity and attitude.



Liked what Logan said about him:
"Whenever I go into a game on Saturday, I know that the guy I'm going up against won't be as fast as Drew was in practices and that really helps me
S
storminmormon
jonnylingo wrote:
Awesome article. Love the guys attitude intensity and attitude.



Liked what Logan said about him:
"Whenever I go into a game on Saturday, I know that the guy I'm going up against won't be as fast as Drew was in practices and that really helps me


Yeah, but it also makes you want to see the guy take the field based on the ineptitude of the offense this year. We need an offensive threat to take it to the house in the worst way. It's probably too late in the season to sacrifice his redshirt though.
G
Guest
Phillips is on the freshman our coaches treated right this year, give him a blueshirt and let him get up to speed and adjust to the game. I hope in the future our coaching staff learns this lesson of bringing a playing to his full potential.
B
bball
I would like to think that following this disastrous year, the BYU coaches may rethink their aversion to playing freshmen. Why isn't Phillips returning kickoffs? (Chambers is awful in my opinion). Why isn't Phillips inserted into the slot and given the opportunity to prove himself. I would have put him in the game, at least after the debacle at Logan (13 dropped passes?). And there are likely others on the scout team, or redshirts, or freshmen (or sophomores or juniors for that matter) not yet getting playing time. When a receiving corps is so deplorably awful that nobody can catch a pass, I would have jerked those players to the bench and inserted somebody else. I don't think that has happened.



It's becoming increasingly clear to me that Heaps is not really the problem, it's the receivers; they don't get open, and they don't catch the balls thrown to them. Heaps hasn't been great, but I think he's so gun shy, he throws a great ball that is dropped, or the receivers don't get open, so he gets sacked, or he dumps it off to his running backs (which he should), but they fail to get a first down.



And why are a group of experienced (supposed to be great), offensive linemen setting records for false starts? What is that all about? I can't believe it's Heaps, they've been with him now through spring, fall, and 7 games. Are these guys math challenged?
Advertisement
D
Dwight
Sounds like he is capable of getting open and catching a pass. It might be fun to put him and Chambers in a room and let them talk about who should be starting.
P
ProV1
bball wrote:
Why isn't Phillips returning kickoffs? (Chambers is awful in my opinion).

I agree, except whenever I want him benched, he'll bust off a 40 yard return. The spin at the end that gets him an extra yard but exposes the ball to danger is getting old.
G
Gunk
Dwight wrote:
Sounds like he is capable of getting open and catching a pass. It might be fun to put him and Chambers in a room and let them talk about who should be starting.


LOL



Chambers: I should start

Philips: Oh...but I think I could do just as good a job

Chambers: No you can't. I'm more athletically gifted than you

Philips: But I run twice as fast as you and have just as good as hands as you and I'm improving the more I play. I could actually get open, catch a pass and get some extra yardage

Chambers: But can you do a clockwise spin move

Philips: No, but I think I could pick it...

Chambers: It's pretty difficult. I wouldn't try it till your Junior year.

Philips: I don't see why that would have anything to do with me starting...

Chambers: It's an advanced move that only advanced senior players can handle.

Philips: Weren't you the one that told ESPN in Fall camp of your freshman year before you ever even played a down of college football that the most talented players should be on the field and getting the reps regardless of whether they earned it? And, you were more talented than everyone else?

Chambers: ...I was misquoted...Get in line, kid.
G
Gunk
ProV1 wrote:
Why isn't Phillips returning kickoffs? (Chambers is awful in my opinion).

I agree, except whenever I want him benched, he'll bust off a 40 yard return. The spin at the end that gets him an extra yard but exposes the ball to danger is getting old.


Haha...when watching the game on Sat. I told bro-in-law that was with me, "Watch, Chambers will get the ball, barely catch it above his head, run for 10 yards, spin and fall an extra yard."



Sure enough, he did it and spun not only once, but twice!
F
frdbtr
If this guy is dominating our defense like that on the scout team, he needs to be put on the field on gameday. We have no one right now that is striking any fear into opposing defenses. 22 touchdowns? Holy crap, BYU's offense has only scored about 1/3 of that many total this year.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Redshirt him. Don't pull the RS for 5 games, 4 of which are vs the dregs of the NCAA during a 6-6 year. Just not smart.



Plus, he had NCAA Clearinghouse issues which did not get cleared up until fall Camp was over, so he was never able to practice in camp with the team. He is a talent, but let him sit and learn. I for one am glad BYU has waited to let Philips, Fabuluje, Rowley, Apo(hopefully), and many other talented young guys redshirt. The 2011 edition is going to be much improved. We will miss some guys, but we will be a better team.
P
ProV1
frdbtr wrote:
If this guy is dominating our defense like that on the scout team, he needs to be put on the field on gameday. We have no one right now that is striking any fear into opposing defenses. 22 touchdowns? Holy crap, BYU's offense has only scored about 1/3 of that many total this year.

No. Finish out the redshirt. Put on 10 more pounds. Get quicker, hungrier, cockier, and more prepared. Then give us four years of highlights when it matters. 2-5 doesn't matter now.
B
BroncoBot
Who in the heck is playing QB for the scout team????? Maybe we've found a quick fix for a receiver AND a QB.



This isn't bashing Heaps, just wondering who is getting the ball to Phillips so he can do his thing. Something that the "real" BYU offense hasn't been able to do since Washington.
F
frdbtr
declocoug wrote:
Who in the heck is playing QB for the scout team????? Maybe we've found a quick fix for a receiver AND a QB.



This isn't bashing Heaps, just wondering who is getting the ball to Phillips so he can do his thing. Something that the "real" BYU offense hasn't been able to do since Washington.




Our wildcat QB is running the scout team. I can't remember his name.
B
BroncoBot
Is he the dude from Canada?
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
declocoug wrote:
Is he the dude from Canada?


No, I think he is from skyline high.
F
frdbtr
I just looked it up, his name is Matt Marshal.
B
BroncoBot
frdbtr wrote:
I just looked it up, his name is Matt Marshal.

Same guy who has the highest QB rating so far this year. Sounds like he should get some reps this next spring.
C
CAFB_04-12
bball wrote:
I would like to think that following this disastrous year, the BYU coaches may rethink their aversion to playing freshmen.

If anything I think this year reinforces the notion that true freshmen, regardless of their hype and talent, are not ready to start at the D1 level.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.