Archived Topic

Perfect Storm

by BoiseBYU · 10/18/2010

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
It took the loss of NFL playmakers on offense, injuries, less than stellar play of returners, and a brutal schedule to reveal our shortcomings. And the shortcoming revealed comes back to coaching. The best example of that is Bronco himself. How do you explain an even more injury depleted D playing the way it has for the past two games with Bronco taking over? Coaching. . I have come to agree with McGregor and Kitic and others that our offense is in disarray and so much of that rests on Anae. The next proof of this for me is BSU. I do not mention them because I like them. I DON'T! But I have observed them and seen what they do with the talent they have and the plays the run and call and perform are a beauty to behold. I have to give them that. Their four star QB flourished as a RS freshman. Their TEs, not good enough for BYU, score time and time again. Their PAC 10 cast off RBs do marvels. And not just against WAC patsys but good teams too. Again it is coaching. I love Bronco. I hope he can see that just like coaching was not getting it done on D, it is not getting it done on offense. PS. I'm not writing this because we lost to TCU. I thought we'd lose. I thought we would score a TD or two but I'm not even writing because of that. I'm writing because 7 games have revealed what we really are on O, something the Becks Halls Pittas Collies Ungas and Tongas have covered up and masked



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
BoiseBYU wrote:
It took the loss of NFL playmakers on offense, injuries, less than stellar play of returners, and a brutal schedule to reveal our shortcomings. And the shortcoming revealed comes back to coaching. The best example of that is Bronco himself. How do you explain an even more injury depleted D playing the way it has for the past two games with Bronco taking over? Coaching. . I have come to agree with McGregor and Kitic and others that our offense is in disarray and so much of that rests on Anae. The next proof of this for me is BSU. I do not mention them because I like them. I DON'T! But I have observed them and seen what they do with the talent they have and the plays the run and call and perform are a beauty to behold. I have to give them that. Their four star QB flourished as a RS freshman. Their TEs, not good enough for BYU, score time and time again. Their PAC 10 cast off RBs do marvels. And not just against WAC patsys but good teams too. Again it is coaching. I love Bronco. I hope he can see that just like coaching was not getting it done on D, it is not getting it done on offense. PS. I'm not writing this because we lost to TCU. I thought we'd lose. I thought we would score a TD or two but I'm not even writing because of that. I'm writing because 7 games have revealed what we really are on O, something the Becks Halls Pittas Collies Ungas and Tongas have covered up and masked



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


i hate to say it but utah has done this equally as well. kwitt anticipates issues and addresses them before they become a disaster. they tailor their game to the players they have better than our coaches as well.



with our current coaching staff we will never win a nc. they are very good but not great.
B
BoiseBYU
jonnylingo wrote:
It took the loss of NFL playmakers on offense, injuries, less than stellar play of returners, and a brutal schedule to reveal our shortcomings. And the shortcoming revealed comes back to coaching. The best example of that is Bronco himself. How do you explain an even more injury depleted D playing the way it has for the past two games with Bronco taking over? Coaching. . I have come to agree with McGregor and Kitic and others that our offense is in disarray and so much of that rests on Anae. The next proof of this for me is BSU. I do not mention them because I like them. I DON'T! But I have observed them and seen what they do with the talent they have and the plays the run and call and perform are a beauty to behold. I have to give them that. Their four star QB flourished as a RS freshman. Their TEs, not good enough for BYU, score time and time again. Their PAC 10 cast off RBs do marvels. And not just against WAC patsys but good teams too. Again it is coaching. I love Bronco. I hope he can see that just like coaching was not getting it done on D, it is not getting it done on offense. PS. I'm not writing this because we lost to TCU. I thought we'd lose. I thought we would score a TD or two but I'm not even writing because of that. I'm writing because 7 games have revealed what we really are on O, something the Becks Halls Pittas Collies Ungas and Tongas have covered up and masked



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


i hate to say it but utah has done this equally as well. kwitt anticipates issues and addresses them before they become a disaster. they tailor their game to the players they have better than our coaches as well.



with our current coaching staff we will never win a nc. they are very good but not great.

“The wise learn many things from their enemies.” Aristophanes
G
Gunk
Here here.



Been saying for the last two years that if BYU ever wants to be a "great" team (BCS bowl eligible) they need to make a change up top. Start with Anae. Get a legit offensive coordinator that knows how to squeeze the most out of his players. I think Bronco can do this on defense. No way can Anae do it on offense.
C
Cougarfan87
When there is a Lack of turnover from your assistant coaches getting promoted it can mean one of two things:



A. They are very loyal.



B. No one is calling.



Which do you suppose it is for Anae and our WR coach?
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I think Bronco needs to do what Whittingham did last year. He did not fire anyone, he just shifted responsibilities around. Basically, he took play calling away from Coach Schramm and gave it to Roderick. Schramm took the pride hit and still coaches the RB's and does it well.



Doman needs to call plays and work with the QBs. Anae needs to focus on developing those TE's. He has done well with Harline, Pitta and George, so lets let him focus on our young crop of guys at TE and get 2 of them to high levels. Win-win.
G
Gunk
Cougarfan87 wrote:
When there is a Lack of turnover from your assistant coaches getting promoted it can mean one of two things:



A. They are very loyal.



B. No one is calling.



Which do you suppose it is for Anae and our WR coach?


Exactly.



After multiple 10+ win seasons I'm going to go with option B. I think every other team sees what we see. Poor play-calling, poor in-game adjustments and an inability to maximize talent.



Four NFL players on offense at key production positions (QB, WR, RB, TE) and we can't beat TCU or Utah. Our quarterback for the last three years is now the starting quarterback on the NFC West's top team. Say what you want about the NFC West and how Hall got there, but that still says something; both about Hall and Anae.
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
I think Bronco needs to do what Whittingham did last year. He did not fire anyone, he just shifted responsibilities around. Basically, he took play calling away from Coach Schramm and gave it to Roderick. Schramm took the pride hit and still coaches the RB's and does it well.



Doman needs to call plays and work with the QBs. Anae needs to focus on developing those TE's. He has done well with Harline, Pitta and George, so lets let him focus on our young crop of guys at TE and get 2 of them to high levels. Win-win.


yes he does but he won't. bronco always waits until after the problem to fix it. he doesn't anticipate and adapt. this can be a virtue and a vice. there is a healthy balance but watching utah last year you saw twitt do whatever it took to win even if it meant demoting one of his coaches.
B
Brayden Green
kwhitt is a better coach than Bronco, when it comes to x's and o's, and strategy.



Bronco is better at personnel, and not pissing people off. What Kwhitt does works when you are winning, but he has made plenty of enemies. What Kwitt is able to do because he keeps winning, and he keeps winning because of what he does.



Bronco has done an amazing job as far as getting in the right people. How we use those people is another story. We could learn a few things from the people up north, and I think that the first is that the "loyalty pendulum" can only go so far before it starts flying right back at your head.



The thing i think that Bronco fails to understand, is that he has fan support. Because he has cut himself off from us, he feels that we are cut off from him. If he demotes or replaces Anae, we will side with him. (Or will we? As I type this I think of all the people that went crazy over the deserved firing of Hill.)
A
ABYUFAN
BlueIsBetter wrote:
kwhitt is a better coach than Bronco, when it comes to x's and o's, and strategy.



:skeptic:
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
ABYUFAN wrote:
kwhitt is a better coach than Bronco, when it comes to x's and o's, and strategy.



:skeptic:


you disagree? :skeptic: Have you seen the Utes play BCS teams? :skeptic:
A
ABYUFAN
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
kwhitt is a better coach than Bronco, when it comes to x's and o's, and strategy.



:skeptic:


you disagree? :skeptic: Have you seen the Utes play BCS teams? :skeptic:


Yes. But my question is Does KW call the offensive plays? What "X's and "O's" does he actually call and or diagram leading up to and /or during the game? I was under the impression that he was not big into runnign the offens, like Bronco isn't either. That in my mind leads me to believe KW has a better coordinator than Bronco does, but calling him a "better X's and O's coach seems to be a streach.....
B
Brayden Green
ABYUFAN wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
kwhitt is a better coach than Bronco, when it comes to x's and o's, and strategy.



:skeptic:


you disagree? :skeptic: Have you seen the Utes play BCS teams? :skeptic:


Yes. But my question is Does KW call the offensive plays? What "X's and "O's" does he actually call and or diagram leading up to and /or during the game? I was under the impression that he was not big into runnign the offens, like Bronco isn't either. That in my mind leads me to believe KW has a better coordinator than Bronco does, but calling him a "better X's and O's coach seems to be a streach.....




He devises the gameplan strategies and preparations for each game, and is single-handedly responsible for the defense. Kalani Sitake was brought up by Kwhitt and runs the defense how Khwitt would run it. Gary Anderson is another product of Kwhitt. The fact that the Utes coaches are going elsewhere year in and out speaks measures to the head coach.
N
nc-puma
I agree with what others have said.. that the BYU offense is rigid and doesn't adapt and show creativity like the U and BSU vs BCS teams. Sure coaching is a part of our problem but come on... flip the channel back and forth between BYU and UofU/BCS and you see, on one hand, athletes that don't seem to belong on the field compared to legitimate D1 skill position athletes on the other. The difference is accentuated this year but it's been there even in recent years. I think we overcome that to some extent with maturity yada yada but there really is an athleticism gap that we tend to underrate just because our recruiting classes are ranked higher (yes we get better o linemen than them).
A
ABYUFAN
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
kwhitt is a better coach than Bronco, when it comes to x's and o's, and strategy.



:skeptic:


you disagree? :skeptic: Have you seen the Utes play BCS teams? :skeptic:


Yes. But my question is Does KW call the offensive plays? What "X's and "O's" does he actually call and or diagram leading up to and /or during the game? I was under the impression that he was not big into runnign the offens, like Bronco isn't either. That in my mind leads me to believe KW has a better coordinator than Bronco does, but calling him a "better X's and O's coach seems to be a streach.....




He devises the gameplan strategies and preparations for each game, and is single-handedly responsible for the defense. Kalani Sitake was brought up by Kwhitt and runs the defense how Khwitt would run it. Gary Anderson is another product of Kwhitt. The fact that the Utes coaches are going elsewhere year in and out speaks measures to the head coach.


So are you saying that because Utah OC > Anae = KW = better X's and O's coach than Bronco?
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
ABYUFAN wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
kwhitt is a better coach than Bronco, when it comes to x's and o's, and strategy.



:skeptic:


you disagree? :skeptic: Have you seen the Utes play BCS teams? :skeptic:


Yes. But my question is Does KW call the offensive plays? What "X's and "O's" does he actually call and or diagram leading up to and /or during the game? I was under the impression that he was not big into runnign the offens, like Bronco isn't either. That in my mind leads me to believe KW has a better coordinator than Bronco does, but calling him a "better X's and O's coach seems to be a streach.....




He devises the gameplan strategies and preparations for each game, and is single-handedly responsible for the defense. Kalani Sitake was brought up by Kwhitt and runs the defense how Khwitt would run it. Gary Anderson is another product of Kwhitt. The fact that the Utes coaches are going elsewhere year in and out speaks measures to the head coach.


So are you saying that because Utah OC > Anae = KW = better X's and O's coach than Bronco?


What? No. Coaches do stuff to. Well at least ours does NOW, and Kwhitt has never stopped being a part of his teams' success. Where Bronco delegates and leaves better off, Kwhitt makes sure it is done exactly his way and gives his coaches very little leeway and holds them very responsible. Again, when you have MULTIPLE Head coaches and OC's and DC's being promoted out of that program it speaks measures as to what kind of job the HC is doing.



And coaches have the final say on who plays what position, the depth chart, and a lot of things. Kwhitt is simply better at any and all of those things, if for no other reason than he does them, and doesn't delegate them. I think that fact isn't debatable. Utah is also much better at Gameday preparation as a whole, and that has everything to do with the headcoach. When is the last time BYU beat someone ranked higher than them? Oklahoma the first game, last year. Before that? You have to go back quite a few years.



We win people we should, and we don't win people we shouldn't. Not only do we not win them, it is normally not a contest. We get blown out of the water.



Whitt wins people he "shouldn't" all the time (with the occasional losses that he shouldn't have...). That comes down to coaching, for the most part. We have had better recruiting than them for years and years and years, and the last few years we haven't looked anything close to them as far as talent goes (except a few shining stars).



I don't think any of this is debatable, really.
A
ABYUFAN
I'm trying to get an Idea of what you call "X's and "O's" that's all. It seems to me that there is a non-sepreable part of coaching that you claim KW is better than Bronco at and I'm trying to figure out what exactly you mean.



If you say thing are "non debateable," then hey...I'll just go back to slobbering in my corner because I must be an idiot for not immediatly agreeing with you.


BlueIsBetter wrote:

Utah is also much better at Gameday preparation as a whole, and that has everything to do with the headcoach. When is the last time BYU beat someone ranked higher than them? Oklahoma the first game, last year. Before that? You have to go back quite a few years.


Well... we were underdogs to SDSU just about 10 days ago... does that count? I beleive we were underdogs to Washington also. That's 2 wins this year that we were ranked lower than our opponent.




BlueIsBetter wrote:

We win people we should, and we don't win people we shouldn't. Not only do we not win them, it is normally not a contest. We get blown out of the water.


Clearly you and I have a different understanding of what the word "normally" means....




BlueIsBetter wrote:

Whitt wins people he "shouldn't" all the time (with the occasional losses that he shouldn't have...). That comes down to coaching, for the most part. We have had better recruiting than them for years and years and years, and the last few years we haven't looked anything close to them as far as talent goes (except a few shining stars).


I don't get what you are saying here, we get better recruits, but that translates into less talent?
S
SpiffCoug
ABYUFAN wrote:

We win people we should, and we don't win people we shouldn't. Not only do we not win them, it is normally not a contest. We get blown out of the water.


Clearly you and I have a different understanding of what the word "normally" means....



I think what he is referring to Bronco having lost 20 games as the head coach and 14 of those wins (70%) have been by 10 or more points.
A
ABYUFAN
kitic77 wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:

We win people we should, and we don't win people we shouldn't. Not only do we not win them, it is normally not a contest. We get blown out of the water.


Clearly you and I have a different understanding of what the word "normally" means....



I think what he is referring to Bronco having lost 20 games as the head coach and 14 of those wins (70%) have been by 10 or more points.

I'll concede the "normally" part of that point, but I would like to add that it is a bit strange to say that the propensity to lose a few games by a large margin is a better indicator of "X's and O's" ability than the ability to win the close ones.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.