Archived Topic

A Treatment of Robert Anae

by mcgregor · 10/17/2010

Advertisement
M
mcgregor
I have failed to outline why I am not a big Anae fan. For that, I'm sorry. I don't believe it's very helpful to say things like "Anae sucks," and then offer no explanation. WARNING: This is going to be long, so get your Postum. Here it goes . . . .



What About Past Performance?



The first defense available to RA is his past performance. And to be fair, his past achievements have been significant. But after seeing what has happened this year, it begs the question: 'What COULD have been?'



Anae had some great talent to work with, true. But he also had some horrible talent. What allowed RA's past crops of talent to cover his blemishes (perceived) is where that good talent was placed. Beck and Hall pretty much sum it up. They were the captains of the offense, and the field generals. Each had authority and experience to expertly check out of poorly called plays. What's more, RA had the tandems Harline/Coats and Pitta/George to present unusually difficult obstacles to opponents. This was difficult for opponents because what other teams had to deal with two excellent TE's? And then we all recognize the value of Austin Collie. From there, though, I will stop; most of the rest of the talent was equal to or less than other conference opponents.



Not only did past talent cover RA's blemishes, but it's now an indictment on his current abilities. We may not have an Austin Collie or an Andrew George. But we do have considerably better talent this year than in years past at almost every other position. Why are we unable to see better O-line play? Why are the receivers so bad? Why are our TE's so abysmal and non-present? Is it because these players are less talented? Perhaps. But the odds seem in favor of not utilizing or coaching talent, rather than annually recruiting horrible talent.



One final thing: looking back on RA's tenure, how many teams did we beat that we weren't supposed to beat? There was TCU in 2006. Can anyone help me remember other underdog winnings? And, were any of those underdog winnings in games we were predicted to lose by more than 7 to 10 points?



Evaluation of This Year



The first looming question is regarding RA as a position coach. Consider the talent we have at TE. Now consider how effective those TEs are in games this year. What is creating the chasm between ability and results? In my mind, it boils down to one of two things, either RA cannot identify talent (he did not recruit Pitta or George), or he cannot develop it. Either way, he has utterly failed at coaching one of BYU's most important positions.



The second question is the obvious: Why did he pursue the 2QB system? I won't get into the politics of it all, and I am willing to acknowledge that it may have been a tough decision. But tough decisions are for coaches to make--yet RA refused to make the decision (or, as some would suggest, made the WRONG decision, and did not have enough clout to win his way outright, thus leaving us with the 2QB system).



The consequences of his decision have been devastating. Offering a spring practice for review of which QB to choose is a sacrifice that can be made; loosing an entire offseason--especially since one of your QBs is a true freshman--is unforgivable. Here are some of the obvious results:



- Poorer team chemistry

- Loss of timing with receivers

- Lack of familiarity with receivers and their abilities, route patterns

- More reps for your freshman QB

- More practice at plays that actually suit your team's strengths

- Anemic offense whose inability to stay on the field puts pressure on the defense



Finally, there's play-calling. No one here, I believe, is saying they are more capable than RA at play-calling (only that other coaches that may be available would be better). Rather, there is a fundamental problem when average fans are able to predict what play is about to be run. It seems that RA believes that no other coaching staff watches film. But after watching game after game, Cougar faithful can accurately predict play after play. When you're playing a team like TCU,--when you have a freshman QB and are out-athleted--your only advantage is to keep the defense on their toes. Permitting them to cheat several yards on your play severely undermines your offense's ability to execute. And I'm pretty sure RA is all about "execution."



Other Considerations

Here are a few questions to ponder: If RA was so stellar, why haven't other teams come a knocking? When was the last time you heard a player or recruit talk about bonding with RA? Is it possible for a coach to be a good OC, but just need a change of scenery to stay fresh (Norm Chow comes to mind)?



I don't expect RA to be here next year, but part of me is surprised that he's still here. I can say that he may not be that popular of a coach with his players, and that unpopularity did not start this season, but has always been there. I think there's a lack of faith that RA can take BYU to the next level. And that belief has been present since RA stepped on campus. He's simply had too many good performers that have covered his shortcomings to warrant an outright dismissal to this point. I'm not sure he survives this year.



Thanks so much if you've made it to this point. I won't be proofreading, so I add more apologies.



GO COUGS



J McGregor

God's Vacation Home, TX
S
SpiffCoug
RA has overseen four years of stellar offenses. I'm with you, the fact that other, bigger schools haven't come knocking is an indictment of him. It's an indictment of all of BYU's assistants. I don't think RA will be here next year either - regardless if the offense turns it around or not.
A
AmmonCougar1
Here's a question for those of you 'in the know': Assuming RA is let go at the end of the season, what becomes of Famika? At byucougars.com it says he is a freshman and an RM. Is he redshirting right now? Would that change his mind at staying at BYU? What effect would it have if he decided he was done at BYU?



Thanks & go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
C
craigoscarson
AmmonCougar1 wrote:
Here's a question for those of you 'in the know': Assuming RA is let go at the end of the season, what becomes of Famika? At byucougars.com it says he is a freshman and an RM. Is he redshirting right now? Would that change his mind at staying at BYU? What effect would it have if he decided he was done at BYU?



Thanks & go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID


Famika is not a D1 player and has some serious injury issues. He is however a great kid and a hard worker, but it's not a loss at all.



Anae has not been very active in recruiting, but he does have the Hawaiian and Poly roots.



If we get a big name for our OC and add Chad Lewis as receivers coach, our recruiting will not be hurt one bit. Money better not be an issue now that we're Indy.
F
frdbtr
This is just my opinion but I think that Robert Anae has been really good at designing a very efficient offense for the type of athletes that BYU has the ability to get. I wouldn't mind seeing him relieved of his play calling duties and have them given to Lance Reynolds.
Advertisement
M
mcgregor
frdbtr wrote:
This is just my opinion but I think that Robert Anae has been really good at designing a very efficient offense for the type of athletes that BYU has the ability to get. I wouldn't mind seeing him relieved of his play calling duties and have them given to Lance Reynolds.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lance Reynolds has had the opportunity once before, and there's a reason he does not have that responsibility now.
F
frdbtr
mcgregor wrote:
This is just my opinion but I think that Robert Anae has been really good at designing a very efficient offense for the type of athletes that BYU has the ability to get. I wouldn't mind seeing him relieved of his play calling duties and have them given to Lance Reynolds.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lance Reynolds has had the opportunity once before, and there's a reason he does not have that responsibility now.


He was the offensive play caller in 2000. He was also the person that nearly got into a fist fight with Crowton against Wyoming in 2004 when BYU came out after half time and ran it down Wyomings throat. I think that he is a better play caller then Robert Anae, he designed the Doman/staley offense that was so effective the last 3 games in 2000 and 2001. I think that he would be a good play caller. Also, everyone keeps saying that anyone is better then Anae. I am not sure I would give the play calling to Doman yet, Reynolds is a better option unless we completely fire Anae and bring in someone new, which is not an option during the season.
M
mcgregor
Also, when I say I don't expect Anae to be here next year, I voice that expectation under the presumption that some powerful donors are already encouraging that scenario.



Money walks.
I
Italics
mcgregor wrote:

The first defense available to RA is his past performance. And to be fair, his past achievements have been significant. But after seeing what has happened this year, it begs the question: 'What COULD have been?'




That basically sums up how I respond when people say "how can you say Anae is a bad coach with all the winning seasons BYU has had under him."

I think most other teams - had they had as much NFL talent on offense as BYU has recently had - would've done more. We could/should have had years similar to the undefeated years that Boise State, TCU, and :utard: have had.
K
kiwibacon
Italics wrote:

The first defense available to RA is his past performance. And to be fair, his past achievements have been significant. But after seeing what has happened this year, it begs the question: 'What COULD have been?'




That basically sums up how I respond when people say "how can you say Anae is a bad coach with all the winning seasons BYU has had under him."

I think most other teams - had they had as much NFL talent on offense as BYU has recently had - would've done more. We could/should have had years similar to the undefeated years that Boise State, TCU, and :utard: have had.

Makes me sick to think about...
Advertisement
C
CougarPeasant
mcgregor wrote:
Also, when I say I don't expect Anae to be here next year, I voice that expectation under the presumption that some powerful donors are already encouraging that scenario.



Money walks.


Should this come to pass, is there a list of potential candidates they want for the new OC?
G
Guest
Do you know what I would absolutely love to hear? An honest assessment of Anae by Beck, I think he could give us the best insights as someone who was outside of Anae's system and then in it.
M
mcgregor
hawkwing wrote:
Do you know what I would absolutely love to hear? An honest assessment of Anae by Beck, I think he could give us the best insights as someone who was outside of Anae's system and then in it.


I'm sure he would have some very interesting things to say, indeed. As would Wendell Beck.
G
Guest
mcgregor wrote:
Do you know what I would absolutely love to hear? An honest assessment of Anae by Beck, I think he could give us the best insights as someone who was outside of Anae's system and then in it.


I'm sure he would have some very interesting things to say, indeed. As would Wendell Beck.


But neither of us can speak for them, I've heard Beck speak very positively about his preparation for the NFL at BYU, but what would he say behind closed doors? None of us knows for sure and any conjecture is just that.
N
northerncougar
This is exactly how I feel, just didn't know how to put it all into words.



In 2007 when we ran the ball at the end of the half in the bowl game, instead of taking a knee. We lost the fumble and they scored totally changing momentum. I had hoped Anae had learned from that but the pass yesterday at the end of the half told me he hasn't learned a thing.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
I am convinced that anae needs to go. its not a talent problem. its a coaching problem. i am not expert but the play calling on saturday was atrocious. the debacle of the quarterbacks this year shows major incompetence in my opinion. i never jump on the fire coaches bandwagon quickly but consider me officially on it. we are losing games because of our offense and it seems to be getting worse somehow.



my opinion. get detmer and lewis involved. its a perfect fit.
J
jonnylingo
northerncougar wrote:
This is exactly how I feel, just didn't know how to put it all into words.



In 2007 when we ran the ball at the end of the half in the bowl game, instead of taking a knee. We lost the fumble and they scored totally changing momentum. I had hoped Anae had learned from that but the pass yesterday at the end of the half told me he hasn't learned a thing.


on that play before it happened i leaned to my friend next to me and said, watch anae will now decide to start throwing when he should run. we were deep in their territory and given the previous 28 minutes it was obviously best to try and run the clock down, go into half with a manageable deficit with confidence we can come out and score. i turned to my friend and said anae will think the opposite and start throwing right now that will result in a pick and they will get one more score and the game will go from close to over. Play went off and.... you saw what happened. i turned to my friend and said they should make me offensive coordinator. He agreed :) It was wierd but if a moron like me seems to have a better feel for what is going on than him, then get rid of him already. :)
C
craigoscarson
jonnylingo wrote:
I am convinced that anae needs to go. its not a talent problem. its a coaching problem. i am not expert but the play calling on saturday was atrocious. the debacle of the quarterbacks this year shows major incompetence in my opinion. i never jump on the fire coaches bandwagon quickly but consider me officially on it. we are losing games because of our offense and it seems to be getting worse somehow.



my opinion. get detmer and lewis involved. its a perfect fit.


Detmer and Lewis in a position at BYU would create a recruiting bonanza... but would Bronco's ego handle it? Make Detmer and Doman co OCs with Doman in the booth and Detmer on the field with the qb; then let Lewis straighten out these receivers ASAP. I'd triple my tithing payments for that scenario. ;)



UW, USC and several other schools have made serious noise after particularly mediocre seasons when they bring in dream team coaches. BYU could do just that as we head into independence and ESPN.

Note to Tom Holmoe; get it done and we'll forgive you for this atrociously difficult schedule.



If we go 2-5 next year (entirely possible considering the schedule) then I think even Tom needs to be thinking about a pink slip.
C
CannonCougar85
craigoscarson wrote:

Detmer and Lewis in a position at BYU would create a recruiting bonanza... but would Bronco's ego handle it? Make Detmer and Doman co OCs with Doman in the booth and Detmer on the field with the qb; then let Lewis straighten out these receivers ASAP. I'd triple my tithing payments for that scenario. ;)



UW, USC and several other schools have made serious noise after particularly mediocre seasons when they bring in dream team coaches. BYU could do just that as we head into independence and ESPN.

Note to Tom Holmoe; get it done and we'll forgive you for this atrociously difficult schedule.



If we go 2-5 next year (entirely possible considering the schedule) then I think even Tom needs to be thinking about a pink slip.




Bronco's ego? :skeptic:



I've heard Bronco called many things but egotistical is a first.
C
craigoscarson
CannonCougar85 wrote:

Detmer and Lewis in a position at BYU would create a recruiting bonanza... but would Bronco's ego handle it? Make Detmer and Doman co OCs with Doman in the booth and Detmer on the field with the qb; then let Lewis straighten out these receivers ASAP. I'd triple my tithing payments for that scenario. ;)



UW, USC and several other schools have made serious noise after particularly mediocre seasons when they bring in dream team coaches. BYU could do just that as we head into independence and ESPN.

Note to Tom Holmoe; get it done and we'll forgive you for this atrociously difficult schedule.



If we go 2-5 next year (entirely possible considering the schedule) then I think even Tom needs to be thinking about a pink slip.




Bronco's ego? :skeptic:



I've heard Bronco called many things but egotistical is a first.


I have heard Bronco called egotistical more than once.. he's a football coach not the Dalai Lama.



I dont' think he's pathologically egotistical but I do think he wants everyone to know who the boss is. Chad Lewis and Detmer might have some different ideas about how the offense should be run and sometimes head coaches don't like to be overshadowed.

I think the thought of another 2-5 start might motivate Bronco and Holmoe to consider some drastic measures (pull this again next year and people might start talking about their jobs). Measures that benefit us but require some concessions on the part of the rest of the coaching staff.

Loyalty to his assistants has already cost us games... someone needs to intervene if neccessary.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.