Archived Topic

Bronco called Anae out without exactly naming him

by Lawboy · 10/17/2010

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
For how many weeks have many of us here been calling for BYU to go from the "I" formation, play smash mouth ball, and to let Heaps manage games rather than try to win them? When we do, it works really well. We run better from the I than the spread without question. It worked without fail v. TCU, yet Anae stubbornly refused to stick with it. It reminded me of Utah 2008 when we ran it down their throats but chose not to stick with it. And why not? Because Coach Anae is not a good play caller. The guy may understand an O, how to try to break down a D, but his play calling does not support it. And Bronco agrees with us. Read this:



On the struggles of the offense:



"It has a long ways to go still. From just a production standpoint, and use of our resources, and execution, and just confidence.

It is a good defense [we played against] today, so I don't want to only say it was about us, because TCU, every year they are a good defense, and statistically they are a good defense

You saw glimpses I think in that third quarter, with Bryan Kariya running the ball hard, and then we had some play actions coming off of it. That to me, that is kind of going to be the identity of where we need to go.

So I saw glimpses, still, against a good defense in the third quarter. And that would be what I will hang my hat on for kind of the identity of what we need to take from here."





Power football, with play action. Winning formula with our massive O line, inexperienced QB and inexperienced TE's, underperforming WRs. Wisconsin ran it down tOSU's throat last night doing just this. I

t is time to play power I, like USC, and get it done.



Source: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/byusports/50489416-65/team-half-tcu-defense.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M
Mingjai
Ever since Anae took over, I've thought that BYU could do the same things in pro-set or I-formation they were doing in the shotgun spread. The only difference is that offense wouldn't be tipping its hand to the defense by lining up in a certain formation.



For the past 5 years, when BYU lines up in I with tight line splits, it's either run 70% or play-action 30%. In spread with wide line splits, it's either pass 70% or counter-draw 30%. Against fast defenses, like TCU or FSU, the threat of a draw out of shotgun doesn't scare them enough to change their defensive call--meaning the defense will key on stopping the pass. The key is not where the backs line up, but the splits of the offensive line. The o-line splits dictate the type of play BYU runs.



When I watch USC and Stanford, I see the heirs to classic 80s BYU offense. Timing based throws, quick-hitting draws, power runs when necessary--all out of the same line splits. The wide line splits were supposed to help QB protection, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference for Max Hall against TCU, Utah, or Florida State.
S
SpiffCoug
Mingjai wrote:
Ever since Anae took over, I've thought that BYU could do the same things in pro-set or I-formation they were doing in the shotgun spread. The only difference is that offense wouldn't be tipping its hand to the defense by lining up in a certain formation.



For the past 5 years, when BYU lines up in I with tight line splits, it's either run 70% or play-action 30%. In spread with wide line splits, it's either pass 70% or counter-draw 30%. Against fast defenses, like TCU or FSU, the threat of a draw out of shotgun doesn't scare them enough to change their defensive call--meaning the defense will key on stopping the pass. The key is not where the backs line up, but the splits of the offensive line. The o-line splits dictate the type of play BYU runs.



When I watch USC and Stanford, I see the heirs to classic 80s BYU offense. Timing based throws, quick-hitting draws, power runs when necessary--all out of the same line splits. The wide line splits were supposed to help QB protection, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference for Max Hall against TCU, Utah, or Florida State.

Amen. Great post. I think BYU would be much more effective to run ONE offensive set and simply run more plays out of this set.
M
Mars
kitic77 wrote:
Amen. Great post. I think BYU would be much more effective to run ONE offensive set and simply run more plays out of this set.

Thirded.
M
mtnradio
Mars wrote:
Amen. Great post. I think BYU would be much more effective to run ONE offensive set and simply run more plays out of this set.

Thirded.

Fourthed ... with one note:



I think the (wide) line splits were designed to open passing lanes, and less about protection. The protection was supposed to come from big, strong and talented guys up front. They can open up a passing lane, but that doesn't do any good if 1) the receivers don't hang onto the ball; 2) the defense knows its a pass and so has coverage sewn up; or 3) the QB is so green that he stares down the only receiver he'll throw to.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
mtnradio wrote:
Fourthed ... with one note:



I think the (wide) line splits were designed to open passing lanes, and less about protection. The protection was supposed to come from big, strong and talented guys up front. They can open up a passing lane, but that doesn't do any good if 1) the receivers don't hang onto the ball; 2) the defense knows its a pass and so has coverage sewn up; or 3) the QB is so green that he stares down the only receiver he'll throw to.


Throwing lanes may be a part of the wide line splits, but I also heard that the wide tackles made it so that the wide defensive linemen or outside blitzers had much further to go to get around. Of course most good, quick pass rushers that BYU has faced just go through the gaps anyway, especially since they pin their ears back when BYU lines up with wide splits.
N
northerncougar
I agree with what has been said in this thread. If Bronco can turn around a depleted D in one week, going for worst rushing to D, to top 20 the next week, I would think it could be done on offense also.



I believe it was Kruger after the BYU/Utah game in 2008 that said they knew what we were going to do on almost every play because they studied film and we did the same thing every time.



I remember being absolutely shocked that Anae called for a direct snap to Harvey for our first TD against Utah that year. Sad that a direct snap to the RB was such a shock. Goes to show how vanilla and predictable our offense is.



I am not calling for a triple reverse half back pass. Just doing the things that will work and disguising that a little from the D.
G
Guest
mtnradio wrote:
kitic77 wrote:
Amen. Great post. I think BYU would be much more effective to run ONE offensive set and simply run more plays out of this set.

Thirded.

Fourthed ... with one note:



I think the (wide) line splits were designed to open passing lanes, and less about protection. The protection was supposed to come from big, strong and talented guys up front. They can open up a passing lane, but that doesn't do any good if 1) the receivers don't hang onto the ball; 2) the defense knows its a pass and so has coverage sewn up; or 3) the QB is so green that he stares down the only receiver he'll throw to.


Fifthed
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
For how many weeks have many of us here been calling for BYU to go from the "I" formation, play smash mouth ball, and to let Heaps manage games rather than try to win them? When we do, it works really well. We run better from the I than the spread without question. It worked without fail v. TCU, yet Anae stubbornly refused to stick with it. It reminded me of Utah 2008 when we ran it down their throats but chose not to stick with it. And why not? Because Coach Anae is not a good play caller. The guy may understand an O, how to try to break down a D, but his play calling does not support it. And Bronco agrees with us. Read this:



On the struggles of the offense:



"It has a long ways to go still. From just a production standpoint, and use of our resources, and execution, and just confidence.

It is a good defense [we played against] today, so I don't want to only say it was about us, because TCU, every year they are a good defense, and statistically they are a good defense

You saw glimpses I think in that third quarter, with Bryan Kariya running the ball hard, and then we had some play actions coming off of it. That to me, that is kind of going to be the identity of where we need to go.

So I saw glimpses, still, against a good defense in the third quarter. And that would be what I will hang my hat on for kind of the identity of what we need to take from here."





Power football, with play action. Winning formula with our massive O line, inexperienced QB and inexperienced TE's, underperforming WRs. Wisconsin ran it down tOSU's throat last night doing just this. I

t is time to play power I, like USC, and get it done.



Source: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/byusports/50489416-65/team-half-tcu-defense.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


i have lost confidence in anae. its ridiculous that us fans can see this but he can't. bropnco sees it. we all see it, maybe he needs to go back to the booth and watch what we are watchign.
I
IndiCoug
Mingjai wrote:
Ever since Anae took over, I've thought that BYU could do the same things in pro-set or I-formation they were doing in the shotgun spread. The only difference is that offense wouldn't be tipping its hand to the defense by lining up in a certain formation.



For the past 5 years, when BYU lines up in I with tight line splits, it's either run 70% or play-action 30%. In spread with wide line splits, it's either pass 70% or counter-draw 30%. Against fast defenses, like TCU or FSU, the threat of a draw out of shotgun doesn't scare them enough to change their defensive call--meaning the defense will key on stopping the pass. The key is not where the backs line up, but the splits of the offensive line. The o-line splits dictate the type of play BYU runs.



When I watch USC and Stanford, I see the heirs to classic 80s BYU offense. Timing based throws, quick-hitting draws, power runs when necessary--all out of the same line splits. The wide line splits were supposed to help QB protection, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference for Max Hall against TCU, Utah, or Florida State.


Sweet post Mingjai! Way to throw Anae under the bus.. BTW, I'm Indicoug and I appoved of the message. :evil:
Advertisement
B
Bluma
Anae hasn't made efforts, it seems, to change the playbook for the personnel. Maybe an option or two, but other than that nothing. We have no clear standouts at TE or WR right now, but 3 productive running backs of roughly average size. In previous years we had a trio of Tonga, Fui and Unga, but they all tipped the scales well over 240. I think Hague is an underrated back at FB, and in the UNLV game in his freshman year, he showed some big play ability (87 yards, which is the longest run for a BYU back since then) He can catch some passes too. We should probably switch to I with an occasional H-Back or wishbone set so we can have 3 RBs on the field. RBs are clearly the relative strength of this year's offensive skill players.



We should never run with single back sets, and Anae should reduce the pass plays by about half. Take the pressure off the QB. Forget about deception. If the other team is stacking the box, just put more big blockers on the field. Jumbo sets. Ground it out. Control the clock. That may make some games salvageable. It did so against SDSU.



Also, delayed handoffs are weak with wide splits.
I
Isola
I really don't understand the spread against a fast team like TCU. Spreading them out plays to their strength. Tighten things up, clog up the line and pound the ball. I doubt we would have won the game, but it would have been closer.



Now for a defensive gripe. Why were our DBs playing 10 yards off the line? Their faster receivers would either run at them until the DB turned and then they would just stop for the easy catch, or they would get to full speed and our DB would turn when he got even but would not be up to speed and their guy would beat us deep.



There has to be a better way to do it.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.