Archived Topic

Our team is slow, and it's not cause we're white

by taekwondave · 10/17/2010

Advertisement
T
taekwondave
Our black guys are slow too. I've said it a million times before and I'll keep saying it until our team can start running track with TCU: COACH OMER DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO COACH SPEED.



He can coach strength. Many people will attest to that. But he DOESN'T know how to make people FASTER. He simply focuses on the wrong muscle groups. And for Nephi's sake! INCORPORATE SOME STINKING YOGA!!!!
R
runbyu1
Absolutely correct. As a previous BYU athlete, I can say that Coach Omer needs to be replaced far more than Robert Anae does. Our guys come here fast and are slow by the start of their second year. Hamstring pulls are unacceptable as is static stretching. BYU really should hire a dedicated speed coach.
G
Gunk
JJ looks slower this season. He can't cut as quickly has he did in season's past and isn't burning people down the field. The defense actually catches up to him.



Jacobson looks SO slow as does Chambers. There's literally no speed on our team. Our guys are bulking up but it's costing us speed.
T
taekwondave
Man we are ALWAYS the only two guys talking about this, aren't we? haha



But you nailed it on the head as far as our recruits go. I am so tired of hearing people on this board say that to solve all our problems we just need better recruits. First off, we can actually minimize the importance of recruiting by having a good strength/speed coach. That is because regardless of who we recruit, they will be better after working in our program than they were in high school. AND...if we DO get big time recruits (which we sometimes do) they won't be wondering where all their speed ran off to one year into being a cougar.
T
taekwondave
Gunk wrote:
JJ looks slower this season. He can't cut as quickly has he did in season's past and isn't burning people down the field. The defense actually catches up to him.



Jacobson looks SO slow as does Chambers. There's literally no speed on our team. Our guys are bulking up but it's costing us speed.




You know, i've been surprised, but to a good speed coach, bulking up isn't actually a problem. You can get bigger and heavier all over but still get faster if you focus on the right areas. But you're spot on about Chambers, J.J. and Jacobsen. These guys are supposed to be BURNERS. I heard such things about J.J. and am now so disappointed in his actual speed that I hardly want to hold my breath to see Drew Phillips play next year, as being in the same system will probably cause him to lose his edge as well.
Advertisement
T
tmoney35
+1 for this thread!



I really wish that the media would talk about this more (or at all) and maybe create awareness to what seems like a huge program.



This clearly passes the eye test. We all agree that our "speed" guys seem to be getting slower. In this era of football where speed conquers all, I wish this was discussed more.
G
Gunk
taekwondave wrote:
JJ looks slower this season. He can't cut as quickly has he did in season's past and isn't burning people down the field. The defense actually catches up to him.



Jacobson looks SO slow as does Chambers. There's literally no speed on our team. Our guys are bulking up but it's costing us speed.




You know, i've been surprised, but to a good speed coach, bulking up isn't actually a problem. You can get bigger and heavier all over but still get faster if you focus on the right areas. But you're spot on about Chambers, J.J. and Jacobsen. These guys are supposed to be BURNERS. I heard such things about J.J. and am now so disappointed in his actual speed that I hardly want to hold my breath to see Drew Phillips play next year, as being in the same system will probably cause him to lose his edge as well.


I hear ya. Even Juice looks slower since he's joined BYU.



Force = Mass * Acceleration. I still think our coaches seem to be focusing too much on the Mass part. I'll take acceleration over mass any day in that equation. True, if done right an increase in strength (mass) can lend itself to an increase in speed, but it clearly isn't being done right.



I can't really say for you, but speed is closer to my heart because of a track background.
G
Gunk
Was Omer the coach when Staley was around?



Staley seemed to be able to hold onto his speed while also increasing his strength. But he may very have been the exception and not the rule.
T
taekwondave
Gunk wrote:
Was Omer the coach when Staley was around?



Staley seemed to be able to hold onto his speed while also increasing his strength. But he may very have been the exception and not the rule.


From what I hear, Staley had some....OTHER...help.... :whistle: (He and Mark Mcquire)



But regardless of whether that's true or not, many of our guys who HAVE remained speedy under the Omer regime have admitted to using outside trainers and taking it easy in the weight room with Omer.


I can't really say for you, but speed is closer to my heart because of a track background.


I don't have a track background. I just realized that I could run fast a little over a year ago with some minimal training. I had no idea before that and I took a good hard look at what I did that made that possible. I don't think speed is EVERYTHING....but it sure freaking helps :evil:
G
Guest
taekwondave wrote:
many of our guys who HAVE remained speedy under the Omer regime have admitted to using outside trainers and taking it easy in the weight room with Omer.


Citation?
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
Omer came in with Crowton. Staley was only in the system one year under Crowton.
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
many of our guys who HAVE remained speedy under the Omer regime have admitted to using outside trainers and taking it easy in the weight room with Omer.
Citation?

I thought that was the case with Pitta, George, Unga, and Collie. Our NFL hopefuls all seem to look for outside trainers their last season.
I
imuakahuku
taekwondave wrote:
Our black guys are slow too. I've said it a million times before and I'll keep saying it until our team can start running track with TCU: COACH OMER DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO COACH SPEED.



He can coach strength. Many people will attest to that. But he DOESN'T know how to make people FASTER. He simply focuses on the wrong muscle groups. And for Nephi's sake! INCORPORATE SOME STINKING YOGA!!!!


Hmmm... I was watching the Hawaii - Nevada game and watching Pilares and Silas and they just seem so quick and fast. And I started to think, what happend to Hafoka? In HS he was a monster at getting away from defenders. You think JJ has moves I wish you could see some of the moves that Spencer had. My brother coached him in 7th-8th grade fb and said he was the best athlete he had coached and that includes an awful lot of the D-1 players to come from there at that time. So I have to wonder what happened to him, why does it look like he is running in mud or can't make the moves that made him an all-state althlete. I don't know the answer but I sure would like to know because I was expecting him to be the same as the two guys I watched playing for Hawaii.
A
a1247
imuakahuku wrote:
Our black guys are slow too. I've said it a million times before and I'll keep saying it until our team can start running track with TCU: COACH OMER DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO COACH SPEED.



He can coach strength. Many people will attest to that. But he DOESN'T know how to make people FASTER. He simply focuses on the wrong muscle groups. And for Nephi's sake! INCORPORATE SOME STINKING YOGA!!!!


Hmmm... I was watching the Hawaii - Nevada game and watching Pilares and Silas and they just seem so quick and fast. And I started to think, what happend to Hafoka? In HS he was a monster at getting away from defenders. You think JJ has moves I wish you could see some of the moves that Spencer had. My brother coached him in 7th-8th grade fb and said he was the best athlete he had coached and that includes an awful lot of the D-1 players to come from there at that time. So I have to wonder what happened to him, why does it look like he is running in mud or can't make the moves that made him an all-state althlete. I don't know the answer but I sure would like to know because I was expecting him to be the same as the two guys I watched playing for Hawaii.




I've been asking myself this same question for the last 2 years. I know he got sick a couple years ago but I thought he had recovered and was back. I expected big things from him when he commited to BYU and so far he has done nothing. With the wideouts as bad as they are I would have thought this would be Spencers year to break out and fullfill the expectations he had coming out of high school.
G
Guest
Mars wrote:
taekwondave wrote:
many of our guys who HAVE remained speedy under the Omer regime have admitted to using outside trainers and taking it easy in the weight room with Omer.
Citation?

I thought that was the case with Pitta, George, Unga, and Collie. Our NFL hopefuls all seem to look for outside trainers their last season.


I know that these guys have all gone on to do training outside of BYU after their senior seasons, but everyone does that as you need to train specifically for the combine and not for actual football shape. I never heard of these guys getting personal trainers while they were actually playing at BYU. If that's the case, I would really like to hear about it.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Is there one player on our team who has gotten faster? I find it distressing that not one "skills" player has improved over last year either in speed, routes, or play. Some times that can be put on the player but it can't always be on the player can it? If so then it has to be coaching. Maybe play calling is affected by our slowing down of our athletes?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
taekwondave
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
many of our guys who HAVE remained speedy under the Omer regime have admitted to using outside trainers and taking it easy in the weight room with Omer.
Citation?

I thought that was the case with Pitta, George, Unga, and Collie. Our NFL hopefuls all seem to look for outside trainers their last season.


I know that these guys have all gone on to do training outside of BYU after their senior seasons, but everyone does that as you need to train specifically for the combine and not for actual football shape. I never heard of these guys getting personal trainers while they were actually playing at BYU. If that's the case, I would really like to hear about it.


Honestly I really can't remember who. I thought for sure I had heard that before...someone that had started using Russian Plyometrics at BYU (like what Archuleta did) and to me it would make sense that at least SOME would, as the poor results of the training are pretty apparent to anyone paying attention but...I really can't remember anyone specific. Has anyone graduated from BYU in the last five years who actually ran a sub 4.5 forty? Not coming out of high school but actually at graduation? That might be the first place to look.
T
taekwondave
BoiseBYU wrote:
Is there one player on our team who has gotten faster? I find it distressing that not one "skills" player has improved over last year either in speed, routes, or play. Some times that can be put on the player but it can't always be on the player can it? If so then it has to be coaching. Maybe play calling is affected by our slowing down of our athletes?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I really don't think so. In all reality there isn't one player on our team right now that I would even feel comfortable calling "fast". Can you think of anyone on our team that were they to break a few tackles on a kickoff return or up the sideline on a run play could really make it to the endzone sixty yards down field without getting caught(Like Staley could)? I couldn't tell you of a single one I think would make it. A fast db would certainly catch J.J. or Juice. I just want to go find Drew Phillips and tell him to keep doing his own thing. I'd hate to lose his speed too.
R
runbyu1
hawkwing wrote:
many of our guys who HAVE remained speedy under the Omer regime have admitted to using outside trainers and taking it easy in the weight room with Omer.


Citation?


Well, 1 for sure would be Brian Kehl who is advertising on the radio for TOSH and he talks about how he trained with TOSH for speed.
G
Gunk
taekwondave wrote:
Mars wrote:
taekwondave wrote:
many of our guys who HAVE remained speedy under the Omer regime have admitted to using outside trainers and taking it easy in the weight room with Omer.
Citation?

I thought that was the case with Pitta, George, Unga, and Collie. Our NFL hopefuls all seem to look for outside trainers their last season.


I know that these guys have all gone on to do training outside of BYU after their senior seasons, but everyone does that as you need to train specifically for the combine and not for actual football shape. I never heard of these guys getting personal trainers while they were actually playing at BYU. If that's the case, I would really like to hear about it.


Honestly I really can't remember who. I thought for sure I had heard that before...someone that had started using Russian Plyometrics at BYU (like what Archuleta did) and to me it would make sense that at least SOME would, as the poor results of the training are pretty apparent to anyone paying attention but...I really can't remember anyone specific. Has anyone graduated from BYU in the last five years who actually ran a sub 4.5 forty? Not coming out of high school but actually at graduation? That might be the first place to look.


Collie?



Found this article on Collie's training:

http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/60/10002669/Harmons-halftime-Austin-Collies-training-strides-unique-from-BYU.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Most interesting part:

As for his speed training, at BYU, players run sprints or gassers all the time, and they have techniques used by Omer to increase explosion and increase speed, but they are not in a track and field environment. BYU times football players just once in the 40 and shuttle run and that is at the end of off-season conditioning in June.



Players are timed just once! The Players go a whole year not knowing whether they're getting faster. They should be timed all the time.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.