Archived Topic

My deepest apologies

by mcgregor · 10/17/2010

Advertisement
M
mcgregor
. . . for letting some optimism creep in.



That said, 90% of all reasons why we suck this year can be traced back to Robert Anae.



And I'm not kidding.



If you can make an argument to the contrary, I welcome you.
B
byutx
Any minute, Cougman et al will jump to Anae's rescue. Didn't you know? It's all Heaps' fault.



Of course, you are correct, as usual (the "we'll beat TCU" thread excepted)
B
Brayden Green
I won't ever criticize anyone for being too optimistc about the cougs. You don't have to apologize for that. I third the anae comment.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
No apology needed! We were drinking the kool aid with you! I have far less credibility than you and many others here on this board and I am NOT saying Anae is the answer, but it seems over the top to blame the poor defense for the first five games, the dropped passes and poor wide receiver play, and hit and miss line play as all (or almost all) being Anae's fault. You all point out well that we seem unable to game plan and adjust and become less predictable and those are things that fall into Anae's lap, but even if Anae could game plan and adjust and become more creative but the players don't perform, well where does that lead us?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Everyone knows I'm the biggest mcgregor fan on this site, and I also think that Anae needs to go at the end of the year, but I don't think you can make this year 90% Anae's fault, unless you give Anae 90% of the credit for the last 4 years. A team doesn't win 10+ games a year for 4 years in spite of their coaches, 1 year it might happen, but it just doesn't happen 4 years in a row.



I know we're all looking for a scapegoat here, but I think there are a lot more goats than just one.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:
Everyone knows I'm the biggest mcgregor fan on this site, and I also think that Anae needs to go at the end of the year, but I don't think you can make this year 90% Anae's fault, unless you give Anae 90% of the credit for the last 4 years. A team doesn't win 10+ games a year for 4 years in spite of their coaches, 1 year it might happen, but it just doesn't happen 4 years in a row.



I know we're all looking for a scapegoat here, but I think there are a lot more goats than just one.

This year it's just one giant flock of goats that somehow need to learn how to play football again.
N
northerncougar
hawkwing wrote:
Everyone knows I'm the biggest mcgregor fan on this site, and I also think that Anae needs to go at the end of the year, but I don't think you can make this year 90% Anae's fault, unless you give Anae 90% of the credit for the last 4 years. A team doesn't win 10+ games a year for 4 years in spite of their coaches, 1 year it might happen, but it just doesn't happen 4 years in a row.



I know we're all looking for a scapegoat here, but I think there are a lot more goats than just one.


The problem with that line of thinking is that we are assuming that everything is equal. The difference is that Beck and Hall called many of their own plays, and the offense often succeeded in spite of Anae. When you have 6 NFL players over the past 4 years, not to mention some other incredible players on offense, to have several games each year that we just fell apart we have a problem. And from where I sit, it is Anae.
G
Guest
northerncougar wrote:
Everyone knows I'm the biggest mcgregor fan on this site, and I also think that Anae needs to go at the end of the year, but I don't think you can make this year 90% Anae's fault, unless you give Anae 90% of the credit for the last 4 years. A team doesn't win 10+ games a year for 4 years in spite of their coaches, 1 year it might happen, but it just doesn't happen 4 years in a row.



I know we're all looking for a scapegoat here, but I think there are a lot more goats than just one.


The problem with that line of thinking is that we are assuming that everything is equal. The difference is that Beck and Hall called many of their own plays, and the offense often succeeded in spite of Anae. When you have 6 NFL players over the past 4 years, not to mention some other incredible players on offense, to have several games each year that we just fell apart we have a problem. And from where I sit, it is Anae.


No, I'm sorry, but I don't buy that. Any play they called was a play designed by Anae, and we really have no idea how many times Hall actually audibled out of the play called in. Part of the reasons those guys are NFL guys is because of Anae.
N
northerncougar
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Everyone knows I'm the biggest mcgregor fan on this site, and I also think that Anae needs to go at the end of the year, but I don't think you can make this year 90% Anae's fault, unless you give Anae 90% of the credit for the last 4 years. A team doesn't win 10 games a year for 4 years in spite of their coaches, 1 year it might happen, but it just doesn't happen 4 years in a row.



I know we're all looking for a scapegoat here, but I think there are a lot more goats than just one.


The problem with that line of thinking is that we are assuming that everything is equal. The difference is that Beck and Hall called many of their own plays, and the offense often succeeded in spite of Anae. When you have 6 NFL players over the past 4 years, not to mention some other incredible players on offense, to have several games each year that we just fell apart we have a problem. And from where I sit, it is Anae.


No, I'm sorry, but I don't buy that. Any play they called was a play designed by Anae, and we really have no idea how many times Hall actually audibled out of the play called in. Part of the reasons those guys are NFL guys is because of Anae.


I truly hope you are right. I am going off of what I have heard said multiple times. I could be completely wrong. If what you are saying is true, then why does this team struggle so immensely? It looks like we have three options: Anae is terrible, the talent level/experience is terrible, or a combination of both.



I am not trying to pick a fight, I am really trying to figure out why we have the worst offense is over 40 years. I have no clue. But when I see 6 guys on NFL rosters, I think we should have had a few games with better outcomes the past few years. The other issue is, if Anae is really that good, why are we struggling so much this year?



Is it because we just don't have any talent? If that is true, we are in for a very long couple of seasons. :sick:



(This isn't the first time I have been frustrated with Anae so I am speaking from things he has done in the past as well as this year.)
B
BOID
mcgregor wrote:
. . . for letting some optimism creep in.



That said, 90% of all reasons why we suck this year can be traced back to Robert Anae.



And I'm not kidding.



If you can make an argument to the contrary, I welcome you.


McGregor, I want you to know that I appreciated your optimism very much. And I still do not think you were that far off in your prediction. It very easily could have happened differently. The Cougar defense upheld your prediction, as far as I see it, and so you were at least half correct. TCU would likely not have exceeded 17 points of production had our offense achieved longer drives and TOP. I was excited and proud to see our D stop up the vaunted TCU running game. Dalton was uncanny, even for a senior (he scores on what looked like a 4th down Hail Mary with a rushing LB in his face) and without him, I am certain that TCU's O would have been more bottled up than ours was. Can you imagine what would happen to TCU in Provo next year without Dalton. I'd say it is fortunate for them that BYU is now off their 2011 schedule. This young and yet developing defense would eat them alive.



I don't know enough about Anae to comment responsibly about him. I do think that our offense, with the exception of the running game since last week, has had issues with timing, execution, confidence, and will. I suppose then, that Anae is the one ultimately responsible, aside from the HC. I assume that Bronco will "right the ship" for BYU regarding that as well. One step at a time.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
I
Italics
it's pretty simple guys - if we had a good offense and/or Anae knew how to coach, there's a VERY good chance we would've won today. Who would've thought we'd hold TCU to 3 points for nearly an entire half? This game was so winnable it's insane.
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
Everyone knows I'm the biggest mcgregor fan on this site, and I also think that Anae needs to go at the end of the year

25 minutes into the TCU game, I was at home thinking how mcgregor was a genius...
G
GolfDiveNCougs
McGregor, I believe I speak for many in thanking you for your earlier post. The strides we saw the team take last week gave us no reason we shouldn't believe the team capable of making it a good game. And at least the defense didn't disappoint. Thinking about the mistakes the offense made, if TCU hadn't gotten a lot of the short fields they got, you can bet with some certainty the defense WOULD have held TCU under Bronco's magic 24 points. Shoot, if Patterson hadn't been so worried about style points (another topic for another day, I'll hate the system, not what it forces otherwise decent coaches to do that compromises class), and we'd stopped a 4th down run up the gut, we WOULD have held 'em to 24. I was confident in our D going into the game, and that confidence proved well founded. I was hopeful for our offense going into the game. Sadly, that hope proved unfounded. Oh well.



Thanks, though, for being the speaker for our optimism. I don't plan on losing it any time soon!
C
Cougarfan87
I think McGregor is spot on. When we ran out of the I formation we got 9 yards, 4 yards, and 9 yards. Now, is that because we were passing so much they didn't expect it? I don't think so. We mostly run out of the I. I think those gains were because TCU has an undersized defensive line and linebackers built for speed, not power football. Why we didn't come out with the same rush it 60 times agaisnt TCU like we did against SDSU, I will never know. And I am not talking about rushing out of the shotgun which was effective here and there.



TCU could not stop the run out of the I, so it begs the question why we didn't play another round of Wisconsin football against TCU. Its not particularly fun to watch, and maybe the plays aren't fun to call for Anae, but when defenses are built for speed, not power, you should slam it down their throat. BTW, Wisconsin beat Ohio State with their ugly brand of football.



We should be running out of the I and using play action passes and roll outs for Heaps out of the I this year. BYU's strengths--Oline and Running Backs. Quezada and Kariya are great for the power running game--DiLuigi dances too much behind the line and I am sick of watching no gain or a loss when he should have put his head down and got two yards. Even an article last week said the coaches got on the RBs for dancing too much behind the line (read DiLuigi).



I put the last 14 points of the first half on Anae for trying to run a hurry up offense with three passes from our ten yard line with only a couple minutes left when we had not been successful all game with the pass. TCU didn't even have to call a time out and had plenty of time to score the first touchdown. Then we continue passing and get another pick that leads to a touchdown. We should have ran it, ran it, and ran it again, and then punted if we didn't get the first down. Going into the locker room at halftime being down only 3-0 would have been huge--just one turnover for a touchdown would have changed the game. As someone stated earlier, they scored on short fields. We should have been grinding it with the run and throwing it to mix it up once in a while. That's how you build confidence in a young QB.



We gave this game away by not running out of the I and shortening the game like we did against SDSU. Period.



The passing game should be implemented to a fuller extent now that we are in the soft part of the schedule--but not at the expense of running the ball.



I hope for two more firings this year--OC and WR coach.
L
Lawboy
Tell me the last time BYU lost to a conference foe 3 straight years. And let me know the last time BYU played any opponent over a 3 year period and averaged less than 6 pts a game. Sorry, but there is a real issue here, and it is that we do not score vs. good defenses with this version of the BYU offense. That is not acceptable.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
Win or lose, BYU's offensive scoring output against TCU has pretty much declined every year since 2005, despite having offenses with NFL caliber talent like Hall, Collie, Pitta, Unga. To me, that means that TCU's defensive coaches figured out how to scheme for BYU's offense, while BYU's offensive coaches haven't figured out how to scheme for TCU's defense.



2005: 44 (not counting OT)

2006: 31

2007: 27

2008: 7

2009: 7

2010: 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.