Archived Topic

Tell me, what does Heaps gain by sucking this year?

by Bluma · 10/17/2010

Advertisement
B
Bluma
At worst he gets a career ending injury and at best he leads the team to a mediocre 5-7, 6-6, or even 7-5 season with a miraculous late season stretch. His career stats will be more solidified as a passer with horrible efficiency, and players like Lark and Munns are more likely to transfer after this year. The "fully invested" fans that possibly "invested" in Heaps more the NCAA will allow just don't seem to want to be wrong. And here I thought most fans wanted the team to win or at least play to the best they are capable of. The policy of keeping Heaps in when two 4-star QBs are pining away on the bench is questionable. I think it is extremely unlikely that Lark or Munns could produce a worse PER than what Heaps is producing game in and game out. They both may be freshmen, but they are RS RMs and have 3 years of age (and hopefully maturity) on Heaps. Would it hurt to try a different QB when BYU is 2-6 and a bowl is all but out of reach?



BTW, I do not think Heaps is going to ever lead BYU to a National Championship. We'd be lucky if a Sr. Heaps gets us a top 15 ranking
C
cougman
Bluma wrote:
At worst he gets a career ending injury and at best he leads the team to a mediocre 5-7, 6-6, or even 7-5 season with a miraculous late season stretch. His career stats will be more solidified as a passer with horrible efficiency, and players like Lark and Munns are more likely to transfer after this year. The "fully invested" fans that possibly "invested" in Heaps more the NCAA will allow just don't seem to want to be wrong. And here I thought most fans wanted the team to win or at least play to the best they are capable of.



....The policy of keeping Heaps in when two 4-star QBs are pining away on the bench is questionable. I think it is extremely unlikely that Lark or Munns could produce a worse PER than what Heaps is producing game in and game out. They both may be freshmen, but they are RS RMs and have 3 years of age (and hopefully maturity) on Heaps. Would it hurt to try a different QB when BYU is 2-6 and a bowl is all but out of reach?



BTW, I do not think Heaps is going to ever lead BYU to a National Championship. We'd be lucky if a Sr. Heaps gets us a top 15 ranking




THANK YOU for joining me in reality. Fantastic post. And calling the policy "questionable" shows you're a kind soul.
B
byutx
Neither Munns nor Lark have done anything up to this point to show that they would do any better. After Jake takes us on a 4-game winning streak and gets us bowl elegible are you going to keep complaining about Heaps and not give Anae or the other offensive players and staff any blame? I'm sure you'll find something to complain about.



Don't bother responding. I'm tired of mental dwarfism and virtually castrated fans.
C
Cougs_Rule
byutx wrote:
Neither Munns nor Lark have done anything up to this point to show that they would do any better. After Jake takes us on a 4-game winning streak and gets us bowl elegible are you going to keep complaining about Heaps and not give Anae or the other offensive players and staff any blame? I'm sure you'll find something to complain about.



Don't bother responding. I'm tired of mental dwarfism and virtually castrated fans.




Have to agree here. Did playing more than one qb work before? Are you really ready to throw Heaps under the bus when he is surrounded by such ineptitude? Heaps plays with the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked--himself included. He cant get in a fricken rhythm bc playcalling sucks, receivers suck and this offensive team attitude needs a major overhaul much like the D received, not to leave out, yes, he is a true freshman. Its not as easy of course to wholesale change the offense. But Bronco cant be far away from doing just that.
B
Bluma
byutx wrote:
Neither Munns nor Lark have done anything up to this point to show that they would do any better. After Jake takes us on a 4-game winning streak and gets us bowl elegible are you going to keep complaining about Heaps and not give Anae or the other offensive players and staff any blame? I'm sure you'll find something to complain about.



Don't bother responding. I'm tired of mental dwarfism and virtually castrated fans.


As usual, the best defense for Heaps ends up being what he has "potential" to do. We have all seen the stunning HS highlights. We have seen the HS numbers. We have seen the #1 QB ranking from both major online recruiting services. Some of us just haven't seen anything in a BYU uniform to show that Heaps will be the future of the program for 3 more years (at this pace, I hope he isn't). A minority of BYU fans also isn't blessed with the prophetic foresight to see what Heaps is "destined" to do in future games and seasons. But we keep being told to wait and see, for the results will be spectacular.



Guess what. When Max Hall was competing with Lark and Gaskins back in 2007, I thought Hall was overhyped and another CB/TBS legend. But once he produced on the field in the Arizona game, I threw my initial doubts aside. Now I consider him a top 5 QB in BYU history (11K yards, 32 wins in 3 years). Heaps hasn't done anything of the sort in his first year as a starter. I know he is a Freshman and had to start the season splitting time with Nelson, but you'd think he'd be on a roll by now. Instead he's getting worse statistically.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Good heavens, why am i even indulging you in this conversation.

You are comparing Heaps and Hall? Really? 3 words/players: Unga. Pitta. Collie.

Lets just change the head coach and get a new stadium. Maybe that would distract you from "lets just bench the kid and blame him for the problems"--cause we know the receivers will do so much better catching lark's balls.
S
storminmormon
Bluma wrote:
Neither Munns nor Lark have done anything up to this point to show that they would do any better. After Jake takes us on a 4-game winning streak and gets us bowl elegible are you going to keep complaining about Heaps and not give Anae or the other offensive players and staff any blame? I'm sure you'll find something to complain about.



Don't bother responding. I'm tired of mental dwarfism and virtually castrated fans.


As usual, the best defense for Heaps ends up being what he has "potential" to do. We have all seen the stunning HS highlights. We have seen the HS numbers. We have seen the #1 QB ranking from both major online recruiting services. Some of us just haven't seen anything in a BYU uniform to show that Heaps will be the future of the program for 3 more years (at this pace, I hope he isn't). A minority of BYU fans also isn't blessed with the prophetic foresight to see what Heaps is "destined" to do in future games and seasons. But we keep being told to wait and see, for the results will be spectacular.



Guess what. When Max Hall was competing with Lark and Gaskins back in 2007, I thought Hall was overhyped and another CB/TBS legend. But once he produced on the field in the Arizona game, I threw my initial doubts aside. Now I consider him a top 5 QB in BYU history (11K yards, 32 wins in 3 years). Heaps hasn't done anything of the sort in his first year as a starter. I know he is a Freshman and had to start the season splitting time with Nelson, but you'd think he'd be on a roll by now. Instead he's getting worse statistically.


Bluma has a point. I think everyone has assumed that Heaps is the QB of the future and that giving him all of the PT now will result in a huge return in the future. He should be showing some progress right now despite all of the obstacles he's faced. 1 TD to 6 INT is not stellar.



I hate to say it, but Jordan Wynn was further ahead than where Jake Heaps is now (and was a true freshman just like Heaps who didn't have the benefit of taking all of the snaps until mid-season).
B
BroncoBot
put heaps in with the utah team that wynn was playing on and he produces much better numbers.



Heaps is going to be a much better QB, he's just on a worse team. No way I'm going to say bench Heaps. He hasn't impressed me though.
G
Guest
My fear with Heaps this year is that his potential could be forever retarded now. He has obviously stepped up to a level that is too fast, and too confusing for him. A redshirt year would have allowed him to adjust to these changes and learn the play book. I hope that things start slowing down for him and he begins making progress.
B
Bluma
dmcougar wrote:
Good heavens, why am i even indulging you in this conversation.

You are comparing Heaps and Hall? Really? 3 words/players: Unga. Pitta. Collie.

Lets just change the head coach and get a new stadium. Maybe that would distract you from "lets just bench the kid and blame him for the problems"--cause we know the receivers will do so much better catching lark's balls.


Unga and Vakapuna? How about DiLuigi, Kariya, Quezada and Hague. Personally I think DiLuigi is better than Unga as a pure runner. Maybe not as a receiver.



Collie? How about Jacobson, Hoffman, Chambers, Ashworth, Apo (injured his finger on a Heaps pass), Hafoka, and a bunch of other talented receivers. Sure there will be no real replacement for Collie, but Hall did okay without him in 2009, as did Beck in 2005 and 06.



Pitta? A load of 4-star TEs and converted WRs (Matthews). By the Heaps formula of recruiting rankings = guaranteed success, these are very talented TEs and right up there with Pitta in talent, although less experienced.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
dmcougar wrote:
Neither Munns nor Lark have done anything up to this point to show that they would do any better. After Jake takes us on a 4-game winning streak and gets us bowl elegible are you going to keep complaining about Heaps and not give Anae or the other offensive players and staff any blame? I'm sure you'll find something to complain about.



Don't bother responding. I'm tired of mental dwarfism and virtually castrated fans.




Heaps plays with the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked--himself included.

He cant get in a fricken rhythm bc playcalling sucks, receivers suck ......


I love this post! "dmcougar" used "suck" in 1 post more times that I have ever seen. Sweet!!! I think you set a record using "suck" 3x in 1 sentence. Then backed it up using "suck" 2x in the follow up sentence! I like it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
B
BroncoBot
Bluma wrote:
Good heavens, why am i even indulging you in this conversation.

You are comparing Heaps and Hall? Really? 3 words/players: Unga. Pitta. Collie.

Lets just change the head coach and get a new stadium. Maybe that would distract you from "lets just bench the kid and blame him for the problems"--cause we know the receivers will do so much better catching lark's balls.


Unga and Vakapuna? How about DiLuigi, Kariya, Quezada and Hague. Personally I think DiLuigi is better than Unga as a pure runner. Maybe not as a receiver.



Collie? How about Jacobson, Hoffman, Chambers, Ashworth, Apo (injured his finger on a Heaps pass), Hafoka, and a bunch of other talented receivers. Sure there will be no real replacement for Collie, but Hall did okay without him in 2009, as did Beck in 2005 and 06.



Pitta? A load of 4-star TEs and converted WRs (Matthews). By the Heaps formula for recruiting rankings = guaranteed success, these are very talented TEs and right up there with Pitta in talent, although less experienced.

sorry this smacks of blaming one guy for an entire team's problems. I'm not buying it just like I'm not buying that Anae is the team problem, or that Ashworth is the problem, or that even getting rid of Hill will solve all problems (which it hasn't). This entire team is plagued with problems. From coaches, coordinators, qbs, receivers, injuries, players etc.



Gotta look at the bigger picture here.
C
Cougs_Rule
Ddawg wrote:
byutx wrote:
Neither Munns nor Lark have done anything up to this point to show that they would do any better. After Jake takes us on a 4-game winning streak and gets us bowl elegible are you going to keep complaining about Heaps and not give Anae or the other offensive players and staff any blame? I'm sure you'll find something to complain about.



Don't bother responding. I'm tired of mental dwarfism and virtually castrated fans.




Heaps plays with the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked--himself included.

He cant get in a fricken rhythm bc playcalling sucks, receivers suck ......


I love this post! "dmcougar" used "suck" in 1 post more times that I have ever seen. Sweet!!! I think you set a record using "suck" 3x in 1 sentence. Then backed it up using "suck" 2x in the follow up sentence! I like it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:


Sorry. Should have put quotes around "the suckeist bunch of sucks that ever sucked." That NFL coach who I cant remember in a postgame presser after his team really sucked.
B
Bluma
I think one problem is lack of continuity from last year. Many players on this year's team are either RMs or true Freshmen. Maybe there is a sense of entitlement from the Freshmen and the more experienced offensive players aren't gelling with the new "leaders". Lockergate anyone?



The defense is playing at championship level now with Bronco in charge. I don't care what the TCU score said. They were in BYU territory at the start of most of their "drives". Eight 3-and-outs from the offense will do that for a team. Rich is the leader and was in on probably half of the plays against TCU. Just imagine how good it will be with Pendleton back in action.
B
Brayden Green
Bluma wrote:
Good heavens, why am i even indulging you in this conversation.

You are comparing Heaps and Hall? Really? 3 words/players: Unga. Pitta. Collie.

Lets just change the head coach and get a new stadium. Maybe that would distract you from "lets just bench the kid and blame him for the problems"--cause we know the receivers will do so much better catching lark's balls.


Unga and Vakapuna? How about DiLuigi, Kariya, Quezada and Hague. Personally I think DiLuigi is better than Unga as a pure runner. Maybe not as a receiver.



Collie? How about Jacobson, Hoffman, Chambers, Ashworth, Apo (injured his finger on a Heaps pass), Hafoka, and a bunch of other talented receivers. Sure there will be no real replacement for Collie, but Hall did okay without him in 2009, as did Beck in 2005 and 06.



Pitta? A load of 4-star TEs and converted WRs (Matthews). By the Heaps formula of recruiting rankings = guaranteed success, these are very talented TEs and right up there with Pitta in talent, although less experienced.


Okay I'm glad you posted this. It clarifies a lot for me. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Part of me wants to think this is TIC, but I actually think you are serious. How do you put Chambers and Collie in the same sentence.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Bluma wrote:
Good heavens, why am i even indulging you in this conversation.

You are comparing Heaps and Hall? Really? 3 words/players: Unga. Pitta. Collie.

Lets just change the head coach and get a new stadium. Maybe that would distract you from "lets just bench the kid and blame him for the problems"--cause we know the receivers will do so much better catching lark's balls.


Unga and Vakapuna? How about DiLuigi, Kariya, Quezada and Hague. Personally I think DiLuigi is better than Unga as a pure runner. Maybe not as a receiver.



Collie? How about Jacobson, Hoffman, Chambers, Ashworth, Apo (injured his finger on a Heaps pass), Hafoka, and a bunch of other talented receivers. Sure there will be no real replacement for Collie, but Hall did okay without him in 2009, as did Beck in 2005 and 06.



Pitta? A load of 4-star TEs and converted WRs (Matthews). By the Heaps formula of recruiting rankings = guaranteed success, these are very talented TEs and right up there with Pitta in talent, although less experienced.


Tell me how many of these guys are headed to the NFL?

Diluigi better than Unga. Hmmm, should we take a vote? I am glad we have JJ, but this vote would not even be close. Jacobson better than Collie? How many passes has McKAy dropped this year? Today?

I shouldve bowed out of this thread with byutx. This isnt even a fair argument.
B
Bluma
No one will be as good as Collie, but I think there is plenty of talent in the receiving corps. Why they are not catching passes is anyone's guess.
C
Cougs_Rule
And yours just happens to be "blame Heaps."
B
Bluma
Ddawg wrote:
byutx wrote:

Heaps plays with the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked--himself included.

He cant get in a fricken rhythm bc playcalling sucks, receivers suck ......


I love this post! "dmcougar" used "suck" in 1 post more times that I have ever seen. Sweet!!! I think you set a record using "suck" 3x in 1 sentence. Then backed it up using "suck" 2x in the follow up sentence! I like it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:


Homer Simpson quote.
C
Cougs_Rule
Thats right.I recall that now. And an NFL coach used it once. It was hilarious.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.