Archived Topic

Does anyone support Anae?

by Cougy_Monster · 10/16/2010

Advertisement
C
Cougy_Monster
Just wondering.



I'm sure somebody out there has to think he's doing a good job.



I'd like to see a coaching change announced today. That would be the only bright spot for the week.
W
wildeone
nope i dont support him
M
mizzoucoug
I'll give that a Baptist AMEN!
F
frdbtr
I don't think that Anae is the whole problem. The offense is conservative and unimaginative because we have a freshman QB that isn't trustworthy with the whole playbook. Robert anae has led our offense to the best 5 year scoring average in the history of BYU football so I think he has the ability to get it done. The thing that concerns me is the attitude of the players. If they have given up on Anae then he will need to be replaced. Our offense did not have the fire it had last week. They need to show up with the attitude that they are going to punch the other team in the mouth and scrap until the last minute against everyone since our young team is still trying to figure itself out and they didn't do that this game. TCU was much more physical with us and it showed.



On the defense, they did great, I am proud of them. Having said that, the early fumble that the BYU guy tried to pick up and couldn't and then the TCU guy was able to fall on was terrible. It is better to fall on the ball and gain possesion then it is to try to pick it up and score. If we had recovered that fumble and gotten an early score it could have changed the entire outcome of the game. BYU needs to make plays when they are there to be made and they didn't do it.
W
wildeone
frdbtr wrote:
I don't think that Anae is the whole problem. The offense is conservative and unimaginative because we have a freshman QB that isn't trustworthy with the whole playbook. Robert anae has led our offense to the best 5 year scoring average in the history of BYU football so I think he has the ability to get it done. The thing that concerns me is the attitude of the players. If they have given up on Anae then he will need to be replaced. Our offense did not have the fire it had last week. They need to show up with the attitude that they are going to punch the other team in the mouth and scrap until the last minute against everyone since our young team is still trying to figure itself out and they didn't do that this game. TCU was much more physical with us and it showed.



On the defense, they did great, I am proud of them. Having said that, the early fumble that the BYU guy tried to pick up and couldn't and then the TCU guy was able to fall on was terrible. It is better to fall on the ball and gain possesion then it is to try to pick it up and score. If we had recovered that fumble and gotten an early score it could have changed the entire outcome of the game. BYU needs to make plays when they are there to be made and they didn't do it.

17 points in 12 quarters against TCU...nuff said
Advertisement
G
Guest
I would say that Anae's playcalling is somewhat uninspiring, and our talent on the field is very bad at executing it (except for Kariya and JJ).
C
Cougarbib
Playcalling is not the problem. I have never been a Robert Anae fan - but I support Anae as long as Bronco supports Anae.



Anae will look like a Genius next week.



iirc, TCU had the number 1 defense in the country coming into this game, has an offense that gives that defense plenty of rest, and as the announcers indicated - BYU has played 15 freshment this year and a number of other relatively inexperienced players. Now a few weeks ago, one of the kids on here got all giddy becasue they read that Texas has played about that many freshmen and was whining that the idiot BYU coaches aren't playing our freshmen. Apparently they are playing them and the results are what the results are.



Same kids on here were calling for Kariya to see the bench becasue he has not talent. I am glad we have Kariya and JJ.



I hope Van Noy keeps his act together. He is rapidly becoming an asset to the team.



Anyone agree that Andrew Rich looks like Max Hall? He is a stud on d.



Go Cougs
S
stuckinbig10country
Last week the offensive play calling was actually somewhat creative (at least in the first half). I turned to my dad and said the only problem with this is it will give Anae another week to prove he sucks. It did just that.
I
IndiCoug
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Playcalling is not the problem. I have never been a Robert Anae fan - but I support Anae as long as Bronco supports Anae.



Anae will look like a Genius next week.



iirc, TCU had the number 1 defense in the country coming into this game, has an offense that gives that defense plenty of rest, and as the announcers indicated - BYU has played 15 freshment this year and a number of other relatively inexperienced players. Now a few weeks ago, one of the kids on here got all giddy becasue they read that Texas has played about that many freshmen and was whining that the idiot BYU coaches aren't playing our freshmen. Apparently they are playing them and the results are what the results are.



Same kids on here were calling for Kariya to see the bench becasue he has not talent. I am glad we have Kariya and JJ.



I hope Van Noy keeps his act together. He is rapidly becoming an asset to the team.



Anyone agree that Andrew Rich looks like Max Hall? He is a stud on d.



Go Cougs

I don't support him and think he should be gone at the end of the season.

Anea is uninspiring as a playcaller. He can't make mid-game adjustments, has difficulty taloring his offense to the personel that he has and is unwilling to change these things ...... as these have been issues since his arrival.

BYU has no one that is capable and ready to come mid season as offensive coach so he stays for the time being. Yes we are a very young team but a Div II school score more points and yards against TCU than we did.
B
BroncoBot
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Playcalling is not the problem. I have never been a Robert Anae fan - but I support Anae as long as Bronco supports Anae.



Anae will look like a Genius next week.



iirc, TCU had the number 1 defense in the country coming into this game, has an offense that gives that defense plenty of rest, and as the announcers indicated - BYU has played 15 freshment this year and a number of other relatively inexperienced players. Now a few weeks ago, one of the kids on here got all giddy becasue they read that Texas has played about that many freshmen and was whining that the idiot BYU coaches aren't playing our freshmen. Apparently they are playing them and the results are what the results are.



Same kids on here were calling for Kariya to see the bench becasue he has not talent. I am glad we have Kariya and JJ.



I hope Van Noy keeps his act together. He is rapidly becoming an asset to the team.



Anyone agree that Andrew Rich looks like Max Hall? He is a stud on d.



Go Cougs

Heaps wouldn't have survived as long as he has without Kariya blocking for him.



I also don't think that Anae is the problem. Especially not this year. I get the criticism when BYU is executing well, but this team can't even get the basic stuff down. If I'm Anae I don't run anything but the basics till I see some fire and heart out of the offense.



First person I'd replace is TE/WR coaches. But even the coaches can't catch the ball for the players.
Advertisement
W
wildeone
declocoug wrote:
Playcalling is not the problem. I have never been a Robert Anae fan - but I support Anae as long as Bronco supports Anae.



Anae will look like a Genius next week.



iirc, TCU had the number 1 defense in the country coming into this game, has an offense that gives that defense plenty of rest, and as the announcers indicated - BYU has played 15 freshment this year and a number of other relatively inexperienced players. Now a few weeks ago, one of the kids on here got all giddy becasue they read that Texas has played about that many freshmen and was whining that the idiot BYU coaches aren't playing our freshmen. Apparently they are playing them and the results are what the results are.



Same kids on here were calling for Kariya to see the bench becasue he has not talent. I am glad we have Kariya and JJ.



I hope Van Noy keeps his act together. He is rapidly becoming an asset to the team.



Anyone agree that Andrew Rich looks like Max Hall? He is a stud on d.



Go Cougs

Heaps wouldn't have survived as long as he has without Kariya blocking for him.



I also don't think that Anae is the problem. Especially not this year. I get the criticism when BYU is executing well, but this team can't even get the basic stuff down. If I'm Anae I don't run anything but the basics till I see some fire and heart out of the offense.



First person I'd replace is TE/WR coaches. But even the coaches can't catch the ball for the players.

ANAE IS THE TIGHT END COACH!!!!
B
BroncoBot
wildeone wrote:
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Playcalling is not the problem. I have never been a Robert Anae fan - but I support Anae as long as Bronco supports Anae.



Anae will look like a Genius next week.



iirc, TCU had the number 1 defense in the country coming into this game, has an offense that gives that defense plenty of rest, and as the announcers indicated - BYU has played 15 freshment this year and a number of other relatively inexperienced players. Now a few weeks ago, one of the kids on here got all giddy becasue they read that Texas has played about that many freshmen and was whining that the idiot BYU coaches aren't playing our freshmen. Apparently they are playing them and the results are what the results are.



Same kids on here were calling for Kariya to see the bench becasue he has not talent. I am glad we have Kariya and JJ.



I hope Van Noy keeps his act together. He is rapidly becoming an asset to the team.



Anyone agree that Andrew Rich looks like Max Hall? He is a stud on d.



Go Cougs

Heaps wouldn't have survived as long as he has without Kariya blocking for him.



I also don't think that Anae is the problem. Especially not this year. I get the criticism when BYU is executing well, but this team can't even get the basic stuff down. If I'm Anae I don't run anything but the basics till I see some fire and heart out of the offense.



First person I'd replace is TE/WR coaches. But even the coaches can't catch the ball for the players.

ANAE IS THE TIGHT END COACH!!!!

Which mean you'll also give him credit for Harline/Coats/Pitta/George?



Like I said, Anae can't catch the ball for these guys. Something on the offense just stinks. I'm just not going to pin it on all on Anea.
C
craigoscarson
Who could have imagined that Jacobson and Ashworth would have completely mailed in the season and that none of the freshmen TEs would have stepped up by now?



I think you have to give Anae the chance to coach up all the freshmen and then make a decision on the O coordinator after the season. He's been mediocre at best, but I'm not sure if Doman is ready for OC and who the new receivers and quarterback coach would be.



Personally, I say we reach out to Chad Lewis as receiver coach and Danny White as OC (provided Danny knows the spread well enough to move forward)



Lewis needs to be hired now (our receivers need a spark badly)... I think the OC can be decided after the season.
B
BroncoBot
craigoscarson wrote:
Who could have imagined that Jacobson and Ashworth would have completely mailed in the season and that none of the freshmen TEs would have stepped up by now?



I think you have to give Anae the chance to coach up all the freshmen and then make a decision on the O coordinator after the season. He's been mediocre at best, but I'm not sure if Doman is ready for OC and who the new receivers and quarterback coach would be.



Personally, I say we reach out to Chad Lewis as receiver coach and Danny White as OC (provided Danny knows the spread well enough to move forward)

Steve Kragthorpe just left his WR coaching position at A&M.
C
CougarPeasant
As disappointed in the offense as I am, I am not ready to throw Anae under the bus yet. He does have some good will saved from the past 4 seasons of putting together offenses that have finished in the top 25. But I do expect the team to win the next 4 games and if the offense stumbles badly in any one of those games, then I might reconsider bringing him back for next season.
Advertisement
R
runbyu1
IndiCoug wrote:

Anea is uninspiring as a playcaller. He can't make mid-game adjustments, has difficulty taloring his offense to the personel that he has and is unwilling to change these things ...... as these have been issues since his arrival.


Couldn't agree with this more. I feel Anae is a good offensive mind, an average to mediocre playcaller, and is horrible at making adjustments. BYU's record when we are behind at half speaks to this.



I just feel Anae isn't putting our young players in a position to get the job done.
C
Cougy_Monster
Well, that's good enough for me. I pretty much agree with the collective voice of cougarcorner. There are some good things about Anae but he is stale, can't adjust at half time and is as predictable as the tide.



The last time I felt this way was in the mid 90's with Norm Chow. He had been a GREAT coach for the Cougars but his playcalling was becoming predictable. It seemed like since he'd had success before with certain plays and schemes that he would no longer explore new options or change player roles based on unique talents. Of course when he went to other teams he was forced to explore new options and his genius resurfaced. (for what it's worth, Chow was a helluvalot better at adjustment than Anae even in his last predictable year at BYU).



Anae will do very well wherever he ends up (if he really does get the boot) and a lot of BYU fans will want him back. I'm ok with that. I just don't want him now. I want Detmer!!!!
C
Cougarbib
There are several coaches I would like to see BYU hire but position coach may be more appropriate until experience sets in for some



Ty Detmer would make my list along with Jim McMahon if he could conform to LDS standards, Steve Young, and probably a few others if I reflect on it. Probably ain't gonna happen. John Beck or Max Hall if they ever leave NFL.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Bluma
Anae's offenses have been shown to win games with players that actually show up to play. He may not be the most exciting or creative offensive mind out there, but he has done the job in 50+ games. I'm putting this mostly on the players. D1 players should catch balls. It's sad when linebackers on the other team are making better catches than them.
S
SenorCougar
Regarding the comment that the coaches can't catch for the players:



And Bronco can't tackle for a previously porous defense, either. There is something to be said for "coaching" and Bronco is a classic example......
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.