Archived Topic

Bradley

by Brayden Green · 10/16/2010

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Why is Bradley still starting for us? Much less playing at all. I haven't seen somebody get beat that bad in a long time... Watch the game back. Gets beat for throwing first down after first down. Gets juked out of his shoes for a touchdown. This is our 3rd year starter?
C
cougman
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Why is Bradley still starting for us? Much less playing at all. I haven't seen somebody get beat that bad in a long time... Watch the game back. Gets beat for throwing first down after first down. Gets juked out of his shoes for a touchdown. This is our 3rd year starter?


I have. #7 on the opposite side of the field.
S
storminmormon
Guys, lay off the defense. It is the least of our worries now.
C
CougarPeasant
Can't blame Bradley for the 4 failed blitzes that allowed TCU to score. I thought Bradley played well overall. TCU just had more speed when it mattered with a SR QB making the right decisions at the right time.
B
BroncoBot
cougman wrote:
Why is Bradley still starting for us? Much less playing at all. I haven't seen somebody get beat that bad in a long time... Watch the game back. Gets beat for throwing first down after first down. Gets juked out of his shoes for a touchdown. This is our 3rd year starter?


I have. #7 on the opposite side of the field.

#7's name is Logan. He's one of the best guys BYU has on defense.
Advertisement
R
runbyu1
Bradley definitely got burned left and right today
C
cougman
declocoug wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Why is Bradley still starting for us? Much less playing at all. I haven't seen somebody get beat that bad in a long time... Watch the game back. Gets beat for throwing first down after first down. Gets juked out of his shoes for a touchdown. This is our 3rd year starter?


I have. #7 on the opposite side of the field.

#7's name is Logan. He's one of the best guys BYU has on defense.


I know his name all too well as opposing QB's salivate at the 5'6" monster and pick on him left and right. As for being one of the best guys BYU has on defense, unfortunately you may be right, although I can list a handful who are significantly better (Rich, Van Noy, Pendleton, even Bradley). I will cede you that his attitude and emotion are exceptional and he epitomizes the term "over achiever" in every way.
Y
YBrit
runbyu1 wrote:
Bradley definitely got burned left and right today


So did Luke Ashworth and he's a receiver. I'd rather see him benched "again" then Bradly benched "again"



I'm proud of the D for keeping TCU scoreless in a qtr and not giving up 72 points as I thought they would.
M
Mars
cougman wrote:
#7's name is Logan. He's one of the best guys BYU has on defense.
I know his name all too well as opposing QB's salivate at the 5'6" monster and pick on him left and right. As for being one of the best guys BYU has on defense, unfortunately you may be right, although I can list a handful who are significantly better (Rich, Van Noy, Pendleton, even Bradley). I will cede you that his attitude and emotion are exceptional and he epitomizes the term "over achiever" in every way.

:skeptic: What? Logan is 10x the player Bradley is. Bradley should have been benched for Eason after the Washinton game.
B
BYULV
Mars wrote:
declocoug wrote:
#7's name is Logan. He's one of the best guys BYU has on defense.
I know his name all too well as opposing QB's salivate at the 5'6" monster and pick on him left and right. As for being one of the best guys BYU has on defense, unfortunately you may be right, although I can list a handful who are significantly better (Rich, Van Noy, Pendleton, even Bradley). I will cede you that his attitude and emotion are exceptional and he epitomizes the term "over achiever" in every way.

:skeptic: What? Logan is 10x the player Bradley is. Bradley should have been benched for Eason after the Washinton game.


True, everyone tries to pick on Logan and it usually ends up being a mistake. He is solid, no where near the weak link on d. I'm fine with our d the past two weeks. Tcu just out executed on offense and made the right reads and plays.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Both had some misses, but both also had some great tackles for loss or short gains. Seriously, defense isn't going to stop everything. You do actually have to score some points on offense to win. I am proud of the way the defense played against TCU and SDSU. The majority of this teams issues are now on the other side of the ball and they put the defense into some bad positions. Frankly, since the offense could never drive the ball, the defense should have just been completely worn out and given up by the fourth quarter--but they didn't. They gave their all until the last whistle, and I am proud of them for keeping TCU to 31 (though I think they really kept TCU to 17) and I blame the offense for at least 14 points, if not more.
B
Brayden Green
Scoreboard check: TCU scored 31. And it is entirely the defenses fault they scored those. They got the ball on the short field twice, true. But they blew assignments twice at the safety spot, leading to huge plays, and touchdowns. And Bradley got beat a few times on both of those drives. Once for 3rd and long, (like 15 or so)
S
SpiffCoug
So is Bradley the new Hill? The next scapegoat for the defense? He's the reason we're underperforming as a team?
B
Brayden Green
kitic77 wrote:
So is Bradley the new Hill? The next scapegoat for the defense? He's the reason we're underperforming as a team?


You really think hill was a scapegoat? I'm not looking for excuses, I'm looking for reasons. There is a HUGE difference in the former vs. the latter. Eason should be starting over Bradley since after the Air Force game, but Bradley was buddy buddy with Hill (one of only 3 players on the team.)



He hasn't worked as hard as Eason, doesn't play as hard, and gets beat time after time after time. I'm sorry, but give me 12-15 yards clearance on a D-1 level, and I'll never get beat deep. I thought that was what our defense does... gives up the short plays, in hopes of not giving the long. Well our D gave up the short plays, and gave up the long. And it is the FS and Bradley's fault 85% of the time. Show me different. (And I realize Eason got beat once. He is still a better option.)
S
SpiffCoug
I'm just pointing out that it appears that we're again singling out ONE player for the faults of the entire team. We didn't get killed by TCU because of Bradley. We're not 2-5 because of Bradley.



It just seems that BYU fans love to find ONE player that they blame for EVERYTHING. Then when a change is made they just move on to the next player or maybe a coach as THE reason for our struggles.



Bradley is a good player and has made plays for us in the past and will make plays for us in the future.



There isn't ONE player on BYU who has played well all year. EVERY single player has struggled.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
It's impossible to pin 31 points on the defense.



The offense from the middle of the 2nd quarter on laid a tremendous egg and handed TCU scoring opportunity and field position.



When you play a team like TCU (and Air Force and Nevada) you have to play keep away and hold the ball on offense. We were 3 for 14 on 3rd down... and that led to TCU with multiple drives with a short field.



The defense stonewalled the TCU running game and Bradley/Logan were a part of that. And neither Logan or Bradley play safety, where 3 of 4 TD passes by Dalton ended up. Our free safety blew it on 2 TDs and Rich let a receiver get behind him on the other.



The defensive effort yesterday was good enough to beat everyone on our schedule but FSU this year and if we continue that play, we'll win out (provided we dont' sustain another big injury and a find a free safety). The offense is a different story....
B
Brayden Green
I'm not saying never play Bradley again, I am saying start Eason over bradley, and rotate him in. I am sorry, but a 3rd year starter should look better than this, and react to the football better than he does. It is either a lack of effort (benchable) or a lack of talent. I'm not saying fire him forever or any of that. Eason is playing at a better level, even including the fact that he is on the kicking team.



One good hit at the end of the game (and i loved to see that) doesn't make up for an entire game of bad reads and blown coverages. I am not asking for his head or anything. Eason is the better player, and i think that is pretty evident.
C
craigoscarson
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I'm not saying never play Bradley again, I am saying start Eason over bradley, and rotate him in. I am sorry, but a 3rd year starter should look better than this, and react to the football better than he does. It is either a lack of effort (benchable) or a lack of talent. I'm not saying fire him forever or any of that. Eason is playing at a better level, even including the fact that he is on the kicking team.



One good hit at the end of the game (and i loved to see that) doesn't make up for an entire game of bad reads and blown coverages. I am not asking for his head or anything. Eason is the better player, and i think that is pretty evident.


I personally hold parents responsible for their kids actions and outcomes in life just as I hold coaches responsible for the growth of their players. If the kid refuses to be coached, then you cut them off. But until then, the parent/coach takes responsibility for what becomes of the player. (The great ones are self motivated and simply perfected with good coaching)



Let me preface this by saying Bradley was good enough the last couple of years to beat the likes of Oklahoma, Oregon State, UCLA, Washington, Utah, etc.



BUT some players stop improving in spite of their talent.... they dont' practice well, they don't take ownership, and they certainly don't lead



There's

1. lack of effort

2. lack of talent

and then there's senioritis (you dont' neccessarily have to be a senior to get it, just like you don't have to be on your last month of your mission to get trunky)



3. senioritis - no fire, no growth, no leadership... they're mentally at 80% of their full potential and they don't ever consistently stay closer to 100%



This is not uncommon at BYU with players that are married, LDS, and don't have professional prospects.

Luke Ashworth has virtually mailed the season in and it's apparent that Bradley did not put in an admirable spring, summer, and fall...



For some guys, keeping a scholarship = treading water (i.e. good enough) and I believe that Ashworth, Hafoka, and Bradley have already decided to cash in and zone out.



I said in another thread that I could never coach at BYU because I'm just not nice. I've been enlisted and an officer in the military and I believe in baptism by fire. (I have the utmost respect for airborne rangers and special forces because of the training they go through and their willingness to wash out the weaklings)

I would cut players during their soph and junior years that I don't believe are willing to work to be great. I would do exactly what Mike Leach did and try to stick them in the darkest, most remote corner of the world (Craig James is the epitome of what's wrong with college football) and I would never let an upperclassman think they were entitled to a thing. I would put a physical and mental limit on mission rust (6 months max) and I would not tolerate anything but greatness in the practice and work ethic of my players, particularly upperclassmen. That type of attitude is infectious and it squashes entitlement issues from minute 1.



If any of you watched the Hard Knocks season this year with the Jets... then you saw in Rex Ryan, what I believe a football coach should be (I honestly think he's the perfect head coach and yes, I can tolerate and even enjoy the F bombs at times). I think for the most part, that Bronco is a PG version of that and that works for BYU, as long as his assistants remain the PG13 version. Unfortunately, I think the assistants are the rated G version. If you give an unmotivated senior too much rope, you get a senior that plays worse than than their junior season and that's what we're seeing from Bradley. I blame the coaches as much as I blame Bradley.



But yesterday was on the offense.... Bradley gets a pass. We win the game with last years offense and yesterdays defensive effort.



I assure you that Chad Lewis would be willing to be the rated R recievers and tight ends coach that we need, Rocky Long as the DC, and Micah Alba would as the DBs coach.

At this point, I'm about ready to double my tithing and pray for Mike Leach as our rated R OC.
B
Brayden Green
craigoscarson wrote:
I'm not saying never play Bradley again, I am saying start Eason over bradley, and rotate him in. I am sorry, but a 3rd year starter should look better than this, and react to the football better than he does. It is either a lack of effort (benchable) or a lack of talent. I'm not saying fire him forever or any of that. Eason is playing at a better level, even including the fact that he is on the kicking team.



One good hit at the end of the game (and i loved to see that) doesn't make up for an entire game of bad reads and blown coverages. I am not asking for his head or anything. Eason is the better player, and i think that is pretty evident.


I personally hold parents responsible for their kids actions and outcomes in life just as I hold coaches responsible for the growth of their players. If the kid refuses to be coached, then you cut them off. But until then, the parent/coach takes responsibility for what becomes of the player. (The great ones are self motivated and simply perfected with good coaching)



Let me preface this by saying Bradley was good enough the last couple of years to beat the likes of Oklahoma, Oregon State, UCLA, Washington, Utah, etc.



BUT some players stop improving in spite of their talent.... they dont' practice well, they don't take ownership, and they certainly don't lead



There's

1. lack of effort

2. lack of talent

and then there's senioritis (you dont' neccessarily have to be a senior to get it, just like you don't have to be on your last month of your mission to get trunky)



3. senioritis - no fire, no growth, no leadership... they're mentally at 80% of their full potential and they don't ever consistently stay closer to 100%



This is not uncommon at BYU with players that are married, LDS, and don't have professional prospects.

Luke Ashworth has virtually mailed the season in and it's apparent that Bradley did not put in an admirable spring, summer, and fall...



For some guys, keeping a scholarship = treading water (i.e. good enough) and I believe that Ashworth, Hafoka, and Bradley have already decided to cash in and zone out.



I said in another thread that I could never coach at BYU because I'm just not nice. I've been enlisted and an officer in the military and I believe in baptism by fire. (I have the utmost respect for airborne rangers and special forces because of the training they go through and their willingness to wash out the weaklings)

I would cut players during their soph and junior years that I don't believe are willing to work to be great. I would do exactly what Mike Leach did and try to stick them in the darkest, most remote corner of the world (Craig James is the epitome of what's wrong with college football) and I would never let an upperclassman think they were entitled to a thing. I would put a physical and mental limit on mission rust (6 months max) and I would not tolerate anything but greatness in the practice and work ethic of my players, particularly upperclassmen. That type of attitude is infectious and it squashes entitlement issues from minute 1.



If any of you watched the Hard Knocks season this year with the Jets... then you saw in Rex Ryan, what I believe a football coach should be (I honestly think he's the perfect head coach and yes, I can tolerate and even enjoy the F bombs at times). I think for the most part, that Bronco is a PG version of that and that works for BYU, as long as his assistants remain the PG13 version. Unfortunately, I think the assistants are the rated G version. If you give an unmotivated senior too much rope, you get a senior that plays worse than than their junior season and that's what we're seeing from Bradley. I blame the coaches as much as I blame Bradley.



But yesterday was on the offense.... Bradley gets a pass. We win the game with last years offense and yesterdays defensive effort.



I assure you that Chad Lewis would be willing to be the rated R recievers and tight ends coach that we need, Rocky Long as the DC, and Micah Alba would as the DBs coach.

At this point, I'm about ready to double my tithing and pray for Mike Leach as our rated R OC.


wow, great post. I completely agree. I would have benched about half the team so far too. I think that something did light a fire into Bradley, and that is where that hit came from (seriously, where has that been for 3 years?) I hope it continues.



And thank you for your military service.
B
Brayden Green
And by the way, the Jets are my favorite team, and have been for most my life (born under a bad sign - my father passed it down to me). And Rex Ryan is the ideal coach, except he might side a teeny bit to much with his players, in contract disputes etc, but they respect him and he respects them so I get it.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.