Archived Topic

SDSU- BYU replay officials suspended

by CougarClaw · 10/13/2010

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700073167/BYU-football-notebook-Bronco-comfortable-calling-defensive-plays.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



the article at the bottom mentions that Hoke had them review the JJ fumble and apparently it was clear enough that merited a suspension for making the wrong call.



Huh.



So the MWC suspends officials for making a questionable call that kept a drive alive

But do NOTHING when a player's career is ruined because of dirty block in the back





let's get the Hell out of this conference.
C
Cougy_Monster
CougarClaw wrote:

let's get the Hell out of this conference.


Done.



I regret that the power of a conference with BYU, yewtah, TCU, BSU and AFA will never be realized. It truly would have been the best conference in the west.



But I won't miss the culture of ineptitude that permeates the MWC infrastructure.
M
Metallicat
CougarClaw wrote:
So the MWC suspends officials for making a questionable call that kept a drive alive

But do NOTHING when a player's career is ruined because of dirty block in the back


I believe those were WAC officials that did the Nevada game.
S
scott715
That Fuga play was reviewed by the WAC not the MWC.
Y
YBrit
Yep, time to bone out of this B.S.



MWC may think they had a future affiliate send us a message, but all they did was curse themselves with dirty Reno.
Advertisement
I
Italics
I thought the second missed fumble was just as obvious as the first. The one camera angle CLEARLY showed the SDSU player being hit out of bounds and losing the ball long before he was ever down. Amazing how everyone in the MWC wants to conveniently only focus on the call SDSU got screwed over on
I
Isola
Couple things. I agree that it is a little disappointing that we'll never see the conference with AFA, BYU, Boise State, TCU and Utah. It would have been sweet.



From what I have seen and heard the officials blew the call on both fumbles. It makes sense that the one that went against the losing team gets more attention because THEY LOST. BYU would look pretty bad if they were making a stink about the other fumble when they won.



Still I am happy that they are willing to go back and look at calls. There is nothing worse then when leagues and officials act as though they are infallible.
C
CougarClaw
Isola wrote:



Still I am happy that they are willing to go back and look at calls. There is nothing worse then when leagues and officials act as though they are infallible.


Look yes, re-evaluate about a half a dozen terrible calls that have gone against BYU, no.



We're beginning to see the reviewing script. It goes like this.



Step 1: If requestor is BYU, deny.

Step 2:....
M
MTM
CougarClaw wrote:



Still I am happy that they are willing to go back and look at calls. There is nothing worse then when leagues and officials act as though they are infallible.


Look yes, re-evaluate about a half a dozen terrible calls that have gone against BYU, no.



We're beginning to see the reviewing script. It goes like this.



Step 1: If requestor is BYU, deny.

Step 2:....




I think you need to change your Fan Level to Blue Goggled Whatever You Call It ;)
S
Schmoe
CougarClaw wrote:



Still I am happy that they are willing to go back and look at calls. There is nothing worse then when leagues and officials act as though they are infallible.


Look yes, re-evaluate about a half a dozen terrible calls that have gone against BYU, no.



We're beginning to see the reviewing script. It goes like this.



Step 1: If requestor is BYU, deny.


Step 2: If Step 1 is ignored, you will be suspended.
Advertisement
I
Italics
MTM wrote:
Isola wrote:



Still I am happy that they are willing to go back and look at calls. There is nothing worse then when leagues and officials act as though they are infallible.


Look yes, re-evaluate about a half a dozen terrible calls that have gone against BYU, no.



We're beginning to see the reviewing script. It goes like this.



Step 1: If requestor is BYU, deny.

Step 2:....




I think you need to change your Fan Level to Blue Goggled Whatever You Call It ;)


he probably will after you change yours to "troll" ;)
M
MTM
Italics wrote:



he probably will after you change yours to "troll" ;)


Oh, now that stings :sulk:
C
CAFB_04-12
Okay. When BYU stops being constantly being labeled as the most hated school and the destructor of the MWC and the Mtn I will believe that there is not a vendetta against BYU.



I will be more than happy to stop playing Utah, TCU, and SDSU as a football independent. Screw them all.
I
Italics
so apparently one of the three guys is a BYU grad and current BYU employee
C
CougarClaw
and apparently it was a BYU employee who chose not to overturn the call.



oh boy.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
I assume that once the league get the review request and determined the bad call, they didn't make the determination based on that single call. I hope they reviewed the game (and a few past games as well) and made the suspension decision based on that. But the MWC works in mysterious ways...
C
CAFB_04-12
CougarClaw wrote:
and apparently it was a BYU employee who chose not to overturn the call.



oh boy.

Not true. BYU employee was a video technician. MWC official (from Reno according to Wrubell) made the actual no-call.
B
BoiseBYU
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
and apparently it was a BYU employee who chose not to overturn the call.



oh boy.

Not true. BYU employee was a video technician. MWC official (from Reno according to Wrubell) made the actual no-call.


LOL The Reno guy felt bad about Bender's dirty, cheap shot....
M
Mingjai
CannonCougar85 wrote:
The BYU employee was the technician in the replay booth. A technician basically just runs the replay according to the replay officials wishes. Tells him to forward, back, pause that sort of thing. I have no idea why that guy would be suspended. That doesn't make any sense to me.



http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/oct/13/byu-employee-was-among-three-replay-staffers-suspe/



Here is the article about it. It's an online newspaper in San Diego.


Pretty clear conflict of interest to me--the BYU employee should never have been in the booth. Even if he is just the technician, there are plenty of ways he can affect the call. I'm not say he did anything wrong--he just shouldn't have been there. But that's the MWC's fault, the the technicians fault.



I wonder if the MWC lets BYU employees run the chains and set the down market at BYU games. If they do, they shouldn't, and BYU would be wise to vet these people to make sure they don't have any ties to BYU.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.