Archived Topic

Phillips a future "all american"?

by jonnylingo · 10/12/2010

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
This is an interesting post made by his brother in cougarboard which basically states that Rich thinks Phillips is going to be an all american. He also points out that he has put on 13 pounds since his arrival at byu and is now weighing in at 180.



http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/message.html?id=6060881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Q
QuarterbackU
i'd rather have him at 167 pounds and running a 4.3 than 180 and running a 4.5 like all of our other skill position players. What is up with all this bulking up talk? Thin is in! Especially if he's a slot WR.



If McKay Jacobsen could lose 10 pounds we'd have a deep threat again...



An otherwise promising compliment i guess.
C
Cougs_Rule
QuarterbackU wrote:
i'd rather have him at 167 pounds and running a 4.3 than 180 and running a 4.5 like all of our other skill position players. What is up with all this bulking up talk? Thin is in! Especially if he's a slot WR.



If McKay Jacobsen could lose 10 pounds we'd have a deep threat again...



An otherwise promising compliment i guess.




Are you kidding us? My dog weighs 167. Please explain why our receivers can't get separation. One reason has to include upper body strength.

He's smaller than Falslev. I walked right past Drew this past saturday. He couldn't be an ounce over 180. But the bigger concern is his popcycle stick arms.

I can't wait to see him and Apo play, but those boys aren't playing HS anymore. They need some bulk.

I wonder what your preoccupation with speed with an emphasis on weight loss is all about. Do you think Juaquez Rogers has lost a step with all his bulk over the last 2 years?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
At WR I'd rather have speed. You can create separation via speed just as much as you would through physicality. There's a void of speed on the team. One legit burner would be nice.



Also seems to me all our recruits that are heralded as speedsters lose a half second or two when they start bulking up.
J
jonnylingo
I think he will suprise and play runningback more than people are thinking.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Prove it.



(Hope he does)
C
crh55
Are we sure we won't see him playing Safety next year?
I
IndiCoug
Is Phillips blueshirting this year? I was hoping to see him play or being used on special teams kick returns. That guy has a 2nd and 3rd gear on him.
Q
QuarterbackU
Are you kidding us? My dog weighs 167. Please explain why our receivers can't get separation. One reason has to include upper body strength.

He's smaller than Falslev. I walked right past Drew this past saturday. He couldn't be an ounce over 180. But the bigger concern is his popcycle stick arms.

I can't wait to see him and Apo play, but those boys aren't playing HS anymore. They need some bulk.

I wonder what your preoccupation with speed with an emphasis on weight loss is all about. Do you think Juaquez Rogers has lost a step with all his bulk over the last 2 years?


Warrick Dunn, Deron Sproles, James and Jaquiz Rogers, Wes Welker, Deion Branch are all smaller lighter guys who can burn you. Another great example is Desean Jackson out of Cal, currently with Philly. The guy has incredible speed and uses his speed to get off the ball rather than his muscles al a Terrell Owens etc... If you can't be more physical then you have to be faster so that the corner respects you. I think Bulk is over-rated at the wide out position. Randy Moss has zero Bulk now, you should see what he looked like at Marshal. He looked like an African aborigine getting ready for the New York City Marathon. Some people are not meant to bulk up. In my opinion, the offseason workout should be more about plyometrics and crossfit type workouts for some of these skill position players. Instead, they are most like doing a strength training regimine/body building regimine. That's what we did when I was playing.
Q
QuarterbackU
QuarterbackU wrote:
Are you kidding us? My dog weighs 167. Please explain why our receivers can't get separation. One reason has to include upper body strength.

He's smaller than Falslev. I walked right past Drew this past saturday. He couldn't be an ounce over 180. But the bigger concern is his popcycle stick arms.

I can't wait to see him and Apo play, but those boys aren't playing HS anymore. They need some bulk.

I wonder what your preoccupation with speed with an emphasis on weight loss is all about. Do you think Juaquez Rogers has lost a step with all his bulk over the last 2 years?


Warrick Dunn, Deron Sproles, James and Jaquiz Rogers, Wes Welker, Deion Branch are all smaller lighter guys who can burn you. Another great example is Desean Jackson out of Cal, currently with Philly. The guy has incredible speed and uses his speed to get off the ball rather than his muscles al a Terrell Owens etc... If you can't be more physical then you have to be faster so that the corner respects you. I think Bulk is over-rated at the wide out position. Randy Moss has zero Bulk now, you should see what he looked like at Marshal. He looked like an African aborigine getting ready for the New York City Marathon. Some people are not meant to bulk up. In my opinion, the offseason workout should be more about plyometrics and crossfit type workouts for some of these skill position players. Instead, they are most like doing a strength training regimine/body building regimine. That's what we did when I was playing.


to add to that, I remember playing basketball against Nate Meikle one time in high school. I was very quick in the cone drill and 40 yard dash (4.6, played QB) and Nate Meikle made me feel like I was in quick sand....it was INCREDIBLE to watch. Years later watching him bulk up a bit at BYU, he was definately not as quick or fast as evidenced by his rare yards after the catch. Coach Omer got to him and he was not the same.
Advertisement
M
Metallicat
QuarterbackU wrote:

to add to that, I remember playing basketball against Nate Meikle one time in high school. I was very quick in the cone drill and 40 yard dash (4.6, played QB) and Nate Meikle made me feel like I was in quick sand....it was INCREDIBLE to watch. Years later watching him bulk up a bit at BYU, he was definately not as quick or fast as evidenced by his rare yards after the catch. Coach Omer got to him and he was not the same. Strong as hell? Check. Large Biceps and Pectoralis Majoris? Most likely, Check. Speed? Negative.


Do you think some of that had to due with the fact that he was going up against D-1 athletes and not HS kids in Idaho? Just sayin....
Q
QuarterbackU
perhaps.
C
Cougs_Rule
QBU, maybe you are Nate M, and you have a lingering issue with Omer the Bulkerer. jk :-)

Your Randy Moss Theory makes sense though. Maybe Omer was in with Hill and wanted to slow down our receivers so our DB's didnt look so slow.
B
BroncoBot
dmcougar wrote:
QBU, maybe you are Nate M, and you have a lingering issue with Omer the Bulkerer. jk :-)

Your Randy Moss Theory makes sense though. Maybe Omer was in with Hill and wanted to slow down our receivers so our DB's didnt look so slow.

Nate, braggin about your pecs and biceps again?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.