Archived Topic

BYU, ESPN to create a new Bowl in Provo?

by YBrit · 10/11/2010

Advertisement
Y
YBrit
I'm guessing since ESPN has created bowls for the wac and mwc that in a few years after BYU fails to get into BcS games, they'll create a bowl game for BYU. Like Boise playing at home, New Mexico the chance to play at home, among few others, BYU currently does play their bowl at home in Las Vegas.



But a literal home bowl game is very possible since ESPN and BYU have a better relationship than some marriages. Worried about ticket sales in such a huge stadium? Play it at the Yew :lol:





I think people will disagree but within a few years this is really going to happen, especially since we don't like conference tie-ins to bowls.



Cougar Bowl? Almsgiving Bowl? Benevolent Bowl? The Brick Oven Cougar Bowl? There are about 3 bowls played in Freezing temperatures, why not take away one of those and add this one?



Imagine 7-8 home games...crappy teams, but 7 home games. A couple losses here and there to Texas, and other big name schools (larger than pac-10) ;) and an extra home game to be played New Years Day!!! One step further, Imagine BYU ratings on ESPN on New Years Day...win another game and piss BcS off. Or sign a pac-10 6th place to play in it and possibly host Utah twice.
S
snoscythe
Question is--which bowl gets flushed to make room for the new bowl? The number of bowls is already maxed out unless they start letting in the unwashed with losing records.
Y
YBrit
snoscythe wrote:
Question is--which bowl gets flushed to make room for the new bowl? The number of bowls is already maxed out unless they start letting in the unwashed with losing records.




I'm guessing ESPN will be cutting a few bowls when contracts wash out. New Mexico for sure.
C
CougarPeasant
Football in Provo in late December/early January? Still born idea to me.



Living in Boise, the average game time temperature for the Boise Bowl has been about 15 degrees. It doesn't get much warmer in Provo.
B
BYUROCKS
I know our AD has said he would not want a bowl in Provo, unless BYU plays in it, it would fail.
Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
What would it be called... Happy Valley Bowl???



Yeah... Provo isn't the place to have a bowl game.
C
Cougs_Rule
Have to smoke alot more of what you are smoking to imagine a bowl in Provo. But never say never--even California is legalizing the stuff--going to tax it too. So, if enough people use the stuff, maybe we will see a bowl in Provo. :-)
G
Guest
I would go to bowl games at LES, no matter who was playing. But I may be in the minority. I just love college football.
C
Cougy_Monster
Teams don't play in bowls in the winter in open stadiums. When's the last time you saw a bowl game in the snow?



If you could convince Holmoe to raise the money for Lavell Edwards Dome then we'd be in business.

I
imuakahuku
YBrit wrote:
I'm guessing since ESPN has created bowls for the wac and mwc that in a few years after BYU fails to get into BcS games, they'll create a bowl game for BYU. Like Boise playing at home, New Mexico the chance to play at home, among few others, BYU currently does play their bowl at home in Las Vegas.



But a literal home bowl game is very possible since ESPN and BYU have a better relationship than some marriages. Worried about ticket sales in such a huge stadium? Play it at the Yew :lol:





I think people will disagree but within a few years this is really going to happen, especially since we don't like conference tie-ins to bowls.



Cougar Bowl? Almsgiving Bowl? Benevolent Bowl? The Brick Oven Cougar Bowl?



Imagine 7-8 home games...crappy teams, but 7 home games. A couple losses here and there to Texas, and other big name schools (larger than pac-10) ;) and an extra home game to be played New Years Day!!! One step further, Imagine BYU ratings on ESPN on New Years Day...win another game and piss BcS off. Or sign a pac-10 6th place to play in it and possibly host Utah twice.


So has it been determined if this guy is a BYU fan or a troll. All the "little" shots he continues to take on our Cougs makes me wonder. With "brit" in the moniker I kind of attribute it to an "English" style sense of humor but so many shots in such a short post make me wonder.

I can see how some of them are shots at the BCS (and one at Utah), but they are at the expense of the Cougs so I just wonder. Personally, I hope for the former.
Advertisement
M
Mars
imuakahuku wrote:
So has it been determined if this guy is a BYU fan or a troll. All the "little" shots he continues to take on our Cougs makes me wonder. With "brit" in the moniker I kind of attribute it to an "English" style sense of humor but so many shots in such a short post make me wonder. I can see how some of them are shots at the BCS (and one at Utah), but they are at the expense of the Cougs so I just wonder. Personally, I hope for the former.

Brit rhymes with "legit". He's a realist Cougar fan like lawboy, that always sees the bad along with the good. Nothing wrong with that.
C
crh55
ESPN will never have a bowl game in Provo because of the biggest factor no one has mentioned, Alcohol Sales.



This is one the reasons why the MWC basketball tourney doesn't come to Provo
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.