Archived Topic

Jet Airliner Flyby

by EM_Puma · 10/10/2010

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Off of the football subject, but what the heck was a jet airliner flying over the LES during the game Saturday? That was freaky as I see a jet airliner flying low heading for the stadium from my seat in the north end of west side. The jet flew over at a low altitude flying north-north east to south-south east. He couldn't have been much higher than Y mountain as you could read the letters on the side of the jet. I thought unauthorized fly-bys over stadiums were prohibited after 911. In all of my years attending games, I've never seen an airliner flying in that direction, that low, over the stadium when it wasn't a scheduled flyby (like for AF games).



Here is what I found online:

Following the September 11th terrorist attacks in the United States, the FAA issued flight restrictions to prevent planes from flying over certain areas, including stadiums. This action was taken to protect the public from further terrorist attacks involving aircraft as weapons. In December 2001, the FAA and the TSA began waiving flight restrictions to allow certain pilots and aircraft to fly near stadiums. However, in February 2003, Congress passed legislation that suspended the waiver process and prevented aerial advertising pilots from flying near stadiums for 1 year. In January 2004, Congress continued this restriction indefinitely.



I can only believe the airliner was off course, but I have not idea why it was flying that low, especially on that course. It just kind of froze me for a moment as it was unexpected.
C
CAFB_04-12
The arrival into SLC-International brings airplanes right over Y mountain flying west toward the lake then north to SLC, but a southbound departure should be well above the mountains by reaching the Provo area. It could have been on a vector, which under IFR wouldn't necessarily cause a problem for the stadium.



If you have a good estimate of the altitude of the airplane you could send an inquiry to the FAA.
C
CAFB_04-12
Here is the text from the governing NOTAM:


FDC 9/5151 FDC PART 1 OF 2 .. SPECIAL NOTICE .. SPORTING EVENTS. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. THIS NOTICE REPLACES FDC NOTAM 3/1862 DUE TO THE WAIVER WEBSITE CHANGE AND LANGUAGE CLARIFICATION. THIS NOTICE MODIFIES FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS PREVIOUSLY ISSUED IN FDC NOTAM 3/1862 TO COMPLY WITH STATUTORY MANDATES DETAILED IN SECTION 352 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-7 AND AS AMENDED BY SECTION 521 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-199. PURSUANT TO 49 USC 40103(B), THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION (FAA) CLASSIFIES THE AIRSPACE DEFINED IN THIS NOTAM AS 'NATIONAL DEFENSE AIRSPACE'. ANY PERSON WHO KNOWINGLY OR WILLFULLY VIOLATES THE RULES CONCERNING OPERATIONS IN THIS AIRSPACE MAY BE SUBJECT TO CERTAIN CRIMINAL PENALTIES UNDER 49 USC 46307. PILOTS WHO DO NOT ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES MAY BE INTERCEPTED, DETAINED AND INTERVIEWED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT/SECURITY PERSONNEL. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT. ALL AIRCRAFT AND PARACHUTE OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 3 NMR UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000 FT AGL OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, END PART 1 OF 2 FDC 9/5151 FDC PART 2 OF 2 .. SPECIAL NOTICE .. SPORTING EVENTS. EFFECTIVE AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS. FLIGHTS CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF ANY EVENT, STADIUM OR VENUE AND BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR THE BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER ARE AUTHORIZED WITH AN APPROVED WAIVER. THE RESTRICTIONS DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES, DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, LAW ENFORCEMENT, AND AIR AMBULANCE FLIGHT OPERATIONS. ALL PREVIOUSLY ISSUED WAIVERS TO FDC NOTAM 3/1862 REMAIN VALID UNTIL THE SPECIFIED END DATE BUT NOT TO EXCEED 90 DAYS FOLLOWING THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS NOTAM. INFORMATION ABOUT WAIVER APPLICATIONS AND TSA SECURITY AUTHORIZATIONS CAN BE FOUND AT HTTP://WWW.TSA.GOV/WHAT_WE_DO/TSNM/GENERAL_AVIATION/AIRSPACE_WAIVERS.SHTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (CASE SENSITIVE USE LOWER CASE ONLY) OR BY CALLING TSA AT 571-227-2071. INDIVIDUALS MAY SUBMIT A REQUEST FOR A FAA WAIVER AT HTTPS://WAIVER.C3.FAA.GOV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. END PART 2 OF 2


In plain English, this means that within 1 hour prior to a game until 1 hour after the game there can be no aircraft or parachutists within a 3 mile radius and 3,000 above a stadium that can seat 30,000 or more. This does not include aircraft on a standard arrival or departure, law enforcement, and aeromed flights. Oh, and people like ESPN and the organization hosting the event can request waivers (i.e., for the Goodyear blimp).
B
BYULV
[qBuote="CAFB_04-12"]



In plain English, this means that within 1 hour prior to a game until 1 hour after the game there can be no aircraft or parachutists within a 3 mile radius and 3,000 above a stadium that can seat 30,000 or more. This does not include aircraft on a standard arrival or departure, law enforcement, and aeromed flights. Oh, and people like ESPN and the organization hosting the event can request waivers (i.e., for the Goodyear blimp).[/quote]



So in other words, it should be fine to do a flyover at nearly any Utah game. ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
billbillbillbill
I saw that plane too. It was low enough for me to read Frontier Airlines on the side. It was headed South-East and was not even close enough to clear the mountains. Definitely weird.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Here is the text from the governing NOTAM:


FDC 9/5151 FDC PART 1 OF 2 .. SPECIAL NOTICE .. SPORTING EVENTS. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. THIS NOTICE REPLACES FDC NOTAM 3/1862 DUE TO THE WAIVER WEBSITE CHANGE AND LANGUAGE CLARIFICATION. THIS NOTICE MODIFIES FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS PREVIOUSLY ISSUED IN FDC NOTAM 3/1862 TO COMPLY WITH STATUTORY MANDATES DETAILED IN SECTION 352 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-7 AND AS AMENDED BY SECTION 521 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-199. PURSUANT TO 49 USC 40103(B), THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION (FAA) CLASSIFIES THE AIRSPACE DEFINED IN THIS NOTAM AS 'NATIONAL DEFENSE AIRSPACE'. ANY PERSON WHO KNOWINGLY OR WILLFULLY VIOLATES THE RULES CONCERNING OPERATIONS IN THIS AIRSPACE MAY BE SUBJECT TO CERTAIN CRIMINAL PENALTIES UNDER 49 USC 46307. PILOTS WHO DO NOT ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES MAY BE INTERCEPTED, DETAINED AND INTERVIEWED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT/SECURITY PERSONNEL. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT. ALL AIRCRAFT AND PARACHUTE OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 3 NMR UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000 FT AGL OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, END PART 1 OF 2 FDC 9/5151 FDC PART 2 OF 2 .. SPECIAL NOTICE .. SPORTING EVENTS. EFFECTIVE AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS. FLIGHTS CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF ANY EVENT, STADIUM OR VENUE AND BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR THE BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER ARE AUTHORIZED WITH AN APPROVED WAIVER. THE RESTRICTIONS DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES, DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, LAW ENFORCEMENT, AND AIR AMBULANCE FLIGHT OPERATIONS. ALL PREVIOUSLY ISSUED WAIVERS TO FDC NOTAM 3/1862 REMAIN VALID UNTIL THE SPECIFIED END DATE BUT NOT TO EXCEED 90 DAYS FOLLOWING THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS NOTAM. INFORMATION ABOUT WAIVER APPLICATIONS AND TSA SECURITY AUTHORIZATIONS CAN BE FOUND AT HTTP://WWW.TSA.GOV/WHAT_WE_DO/TSNM/GENERAL_AVIATION/AIRSPACE_WAIVERS.SHTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (CASE SENSITIVE USE LOWER CASE ONLY) OR BY CALLING TSA AT 571-227-2071. INDIVIDUALS MAY SUBMIT A REQUEST FOR A FAA WAIVER AT HTTPS://WAIVER.C3.FAA.GOV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. END PART 2 OF 2


In plain English, this means that within 1 hour prior to a game until 1 hour after the game there can be no aircraft or parachutists within a 3 mile radius and 3,000 above a stadium that can seat 30,000 or more. This does not include aircraft on a standard arrival or departure, law enforcement, and aeromed flights. Oh, and people like ESPN and the organization hosting the event can request waivers (i.e., for the Goodyear blimp).


It sounds like he could have been higher than 3,000 feet. Y Mountain is 8,568 feet. Provo is 4,551 feet. That means if the airliner at an altitude similar to Y Mountain, he would have been at 4,000 feet.



I was at the Chicago Air and Water Show, and there was an airliner in pattern turning into final at O'Hare flying no more than 4,000 feet over a Blue Angels performance. 4,000 feet may sound like a lot, but an F-18 can cover that in seconds. A 3,500 feet ceiling would be a "low show" for the Blues.
E
EM_Puma
billbillbillbill wrote:
I saw that plane too. It was low enough for me to read Frontier Airlines on the side. It was headed South-East and was not even close enough to clear the mountains. Definitely weird.


That's what I thought and I too could read the word "FRONTIER" on the side. Could that aircraft have been over 3,000 feet if we both could read the writing on the side that clearly? I was being conservative in saying that it was above the altitude of Y mountain because it really is hard to judge distances that precisely, but it appeared to me that it wasn't and now I'm more certain. I thought possibly they were that low as they were descending and trying to head just a bit further south and then they would bankto the west and land in Provo, but they didn't.



The bottom line was that since I have been about to all the home games in the last 10 years at LES and I had never seen a jet airliner flying toward that stadium at that low of an altitude heading south, it just was a sight that caused some short concern and I'm just surprised that the jet would have been directed on that course at that altitude. No big deal, I just wandered if anyone else thought it unusual.
C
Cougarbib
Word got out that BYU was winning and Frontier had their plane drop to low altitude so that fans could say they were there.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CAFB_04-12
EM_Puma wrote:
I saw that plane too. It was low enough for me to read Frontier Airlines on the side. It was headed South-East and was not even close enough to clear the mountains. Definitely weird.


That's what I thought and I too could read the word "FRONTIER" on the side. Could that aircraft have been over 3,000 feet if we both could read the writing on the side that clearly? I was being conservative in saying that it was above the altitude of Y mountain because it really is hard to judge distances that precisely, but it appeared to me that it wasn't and now I'm more certain. I thought possibly they were that low as they were descending and trying to head just a bit further south and then they would bankto the west and land in Provo, but they didn't.



The bottom line was that since I have been about to all the home games in the last 10 years at LES and I had never seen a jet airliner flying toward that stadium at that low of an altitude heading south, it just was a sight that caused some short concern and I'm just surprised that the jet would have been directed on that course at that altitude. No big deal, I just wandered if anyone else thought it unusual.

Whoa, if you could read the writing on the side of the airplane then it was too close. Did the other side of the plane have "Harline is still open" on it perhaps?
M
Mingjai
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
billbillbillbill wrote:
I saw that plane too. It was low enough for me to read Frontier Airlines on the side. It was headed South-East and was not even close enough to clear the mountains. Definitely weird.


That's what I thought and I too could read the word "FRONTIER" on the side. Could that aircraft have been over 3,000 feet if we both could read the writing on the side that clearly? I was being conservative in saying that it was above the altitude of Y mountain because it really is hard to judge distances that precisely, but it appeared to me that it wasn't and now I'm more certain. I thought possibly they were that low as they were descending and trying to head just a bit further south and then they would bankto the west and land in Provo, but they didn't.



The bottom line was that since I have been about to all the home games in the last 10 years at LES and I had never seen a jet airliner flying toward that stadium at that low of an altitude heading south, it just was a sight that caused some short concern and I'm just surprised that the jet would have been directed on that course at that altitude. No big deal, I just wandered if anyone else thought it unusual.

Whoa, if you could read the writing on the side of the airplane then it was too close. Did the other side of the plane have "Harline is still open" on it perhaps?


It's hard to say, because if you can see the plane, you can probably read the Frontier wordmark. It is rather large.



http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2627/4146252560_35f1b01892.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Metal Bubba
When we get the final explanation on the airliner, I hope we next get to the bottom of the mystery about that pigeon that kept flying around the field. That was strange too.
F
Finnish_Blue
When I saw the plane, I turned to my buddy and made my peace. By the way, it was the much smaller lettering that was on the plane if I recall correctly.
C
CannonCougar85
That plane flyby was definitely odd. The direction it was flying and at that altitude means that it couldn't have been taking off or landing at the Provo or SLC airports.



My guess is that it was some rogue pilot simply trying to fly over the game. I'm pretty sure it was low enough that it was illegal to do so.
P
pvuproduct
Metal Bubba wrote:
When we get the final explanation on the airliner, I hope we next get to the bottom of the mystery about that pigeon that kept flying around the field. That was strange too.


I can explain the airliner, but the pigeon problem will have to be solved by someone else. ;)



One of these two are going to be your airliner culprit. The plane was chartered to take SDSU home, and it was in Provo, left to SLC for an hour or so (probably for maintenance or catering or something), and then came back.



http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FFT9212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FFT9218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Here's the flight back to San Diego



http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FFT8587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S
Screamineagle
The pigeon was mine hope it did not alarm anyone.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.