Archived Topic

For Bronco, Execution=Coaching

by Sammich · 10/10/2010

Advertisement
S
Sammich
There was a post on here after the USU game saying that Bronco was using his usual "execution" talk as an excuse to blame the players. It's pretty obvious to me after this week, coupled with statements he's made in the past, that in Bronco's mind execution falls on the shoulders of the coaches.



The intensity and (for the most part) consistency that we saw out of the defense yesterday was something that Bronco and Kelly Poppinga drew out of the players in practice this week. Considering the slump we were in and the lack of strong leadership on the team, this was something that only could have been accomplished by the coaches!



I'm certain that Bronco understands that the players must do their parts well and that they play a part in execution; he certainly believes in the idea that this is a team sport. That said, I hope we don't hear anyone complain again about Bronco using "execution" as a way to pass the blame on to someone else. Anyone who watched what happened this week should now understand that to Bronco, lack of execution is a coaching issue and it is a way of taking the blame on his own shoulders.
T
tmoney35
Sammich wrote:
I hope we don't hear anyone complain again about Bronco using "execution" as a way to pass the blame on to someone else. Anyone who watched what happened this week should now understand that to Bronco, lack of execution is a coaching issue and it is a way of taking the blame on his own shoulders.


Especially because whenever he talks about poor execution, he often follows it up with saying that it's on the coaches
S
SenorCougar
I thought Greg Wrubell's comment during the game that Bronco's dismissal of Coach Jaime Hill was a message sent to both players AND COACHES was spot on. Do you think they got the message ??? ....
V
vancouvercougar
SenorCougar wrote:
I thought Greg Wrubell's comment during the game that Bronco's dismissal of Coach Jaime Hill was a message sent to both players AND COACHES was spot on. Do you think they got the message ??? ....


Will they continue to get the message and act on it for the rest of the season? (sure hope so)
B
bball
Bronco made a couple of statements this week that intrigued me, bothered me a little.



1. He said something to the effect that he spent no time last week dealing with the offense, only the defense. Does this imply that he let's Anae do whatever he wants? is Bronco not seeing the same ineptitude on offense (dropped passes) that we all see? I would have expected him to say something like, "...and I gave the offensive coaches and players the same message I gave the defense, get some passion, make plays, get tougher..."



2. The other thing he said was that he doesn't game plan, that he doesn't really look at the other team, but only at his team. Is he serious about that too? Does this explain why we play everybody the same, and why we lost 4 games in a row? I just find this inexplicable. Or was Bronco just being Bronco, and really just speaking to his players?
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
bball wrote:
Bronco made a couple of statements this week that intrigued me, bothered me a little.



1. He said something to the effect that he spent no time last week dealing with the offense, only the defense. Does this imply that he let's Anae do whatever he wants? is Bronco not seeing the same ineptitude on offense (dropped passes) that we all see? I would have expected him to say something like, "...and I gave the offensive coaches and players the same message I gave the defense, get some passion, make plays, get tougher..."


I think Bronco says things on a number of different levels - behind closed doors - #1 to his Coaches - that neither we or the Team are privy to. Then, #2 to his Team that we - Joe Public are not privy to. That's good. The Team & Coaches need to have private conversations that are kept private.


bball wrote:

2. The other thing he said was that he doesn't game plan, that he doesn't really look at the other team, but only at his team. Is he serious about that too? Does this explain why we play everybody the same, and why we lost 4 games in a row? I just find this inexplicable. Or was Bronco just being Bronco, and really just speaking to his players?


I believe the reason we lost 4 games in a row are: #1) We are in a rebuilding phase - and it's worse than the fans or the Coaches anticipated. #2) 3 of those losses came from Top 25 teams - we should have lost. #3 The USU game was lost because a rebuilding team in chaos (BYU) played a good team that had prepared specifically for BYU for months. Make no mistake - USU is a good team. Review the USU 24, Oklahoma 31 game. They really pushed the Sooners. Oklahoma is rated #6 this week, 5-0 record - and USU gave them all they could handle.



Finally - we are getting better. Bronco is a Coach - not a magician.

8)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.