Archived Topic

Bronco Waited 1 Week Too Long

by crh55 · 10/10/2010

Advertisement
C
crh55
It was nice to see the defense step up, play with some heart, and make plays.



Its just too bad it wasn't a week earlier. USU is obviously a beatable team. 3-3 would be nice right now. But, better late than ever and I'll take a win.



I attribute that win 100% to Bronco's leadership.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
crh55 wrote:
It was nice to see the defense step up, play with some heart, and make plays.



Its just too bad it wasn't a week earlier. USU is obviously a beatable team. 3-3 would be nice right now. But, better late than ever and I'll take a win.



I attribute that win 100% to Bronco's leadership.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




I order to fire Jaime Hill, he needed the Utah State game. Ultimately this season will be good for the Cougs and for Bronco; if we weren't going to compete for the conference championship and a high national ranking then I'd rather this go down now to set the tone for next season and the rest of this season. Hill is not the DC for BYU and Bronco trusts his assistants too much; yet when it finally mattered Bronco not only made thew right decision but then rode his team to a big win against a much improved SDSU team.



Personally, I think this is the signature game of Broncos career.(I'm sure that might seem like a stretch to some)



SDSU is a pretty darn good team and this BYU team is banged up and playing poorly, yet Bronco willed this team to give enough of an effort to win (he cant' control fumbles and interceptions).
J
Jarhead
craigoscarson wrote:
It was nice to see the defense step up, play with some heart, and make plays.



Its just too bad it wasn't a week earlier. USU is obviously a beatable team. 3-3 would be nice right now. But, better late than ever and I'll take a win.



I attribute that win 100% to Bronco's leadership.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




I order to fire Jaime Hill, he needed the Utah State game. Ultimately this season will be good for the Cougs and for Bronco; if we weren't going to compete for the conference championship and a high national ranking then I'd rather this go down now to set the tone for next season and the rest of this season. Hill is not the DC for BYU and Bronco trusts his assistants too much; yet when it finally mattered Bronco not only made thew right decision but then rode his team to a big win against a much improved SDSU team.



Personally, I think this is the signature game of Broncos career.(I'm sure that might seem like a stretch to some)



SDSU is a pretty darn good team and this BYU team is banged up and playing poorly, yet Bronco willed this team to give enough of an effort to win (he cant' control fumbles and interceptions).


Agreed. Prior to Utah State, a young BYU team had lost three straight to very good opponents. Not only that, but we were in the Air Force, and Florida State games at half time. There were obviously big warning signs at that point, and Bronco also obviously had concerns at that point, but if you fired coaches midseason every time you have concerns, you'd have a nice revolving door and instability that wouldn't help the program. The Utah State game brought everything out in the open and led us to where we are now, but let's remember that hardly any of us were even calling for Hill's head after the Utah State game, and most of us were shocked at the announcement.
M
Mars


BYU beat SDSU who beat Utah State, who played Oklahoma closer than Florida State did.



Therefore, according to crazy math, BYU is actually 4-2 right now... :crazy:
B
Brayden Green
Jarhead wrote:
crh55 wrote:
It was nice to see the defense step up, play with some heart, and make plays.



Its just too bad it wasn't a week earlier. USU is obviously a beatable team. 3-3 would be nice right now. But, better late than ever and I'll take a win.



I attribute that win 100% to Bronco's leadership.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




I order to fire Jaime Hill, he needed the Utah State game. Ultimately this season will be good for the Cougs and for Bronco; if we weren't going to compete for the conference championship and a high national ranking then I'd rather this go down now to set the tone for next season and the rest of this season. Hill is not the DC for BYU and Bronco trusts his assistants too much; yet when it finally mattered Bronco not only made thew right decision but then rode his team to a big win against a much improved SDSU team.



Personally, I think this is the signature game of Broncos career.(I'm sure that might seem like a stretch to some)



SDSU is a pretty darn good team and this BYU team is banged up and playing poorly, yet Bronco willed this team to give enough of an effort to win (he cant' control fumbles and interceptions).


Agreed. Prior to Utah State, a young BYU team had lost three straight to very good opponents. Not only that, but we were in the Air Force, and Florida State games at half time. There were obviously big warning signs at that point, and Bronco also obviously had concerns at that point, but if you fired coaches midseason every time you have concerns, you'd have a nice revolving door and instability that wouldn't help the program. The Utah State game brought everything out in the open and led us to where we are now, but let's remember that hardly any of us were even calling for Hill's head after the Utah State game, and most of us were shocked at the announcement.


I was. Before and after. I just wanted Anae gone first, but Hill had to go. Just wasn't a very good co-ordinator. I got barbecued for it, too.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Keep in mind Bronco just beat a 3-1 team that lost at Missouri by 3 and had dominated Utah State. (Granted a USU game incapable of getting up for road games not involving a top 25 team)



But Bronco also did this without Andrew Rich, Jordan Pendleton, Romney Fuga, etc. That's amazing. I never would have believed that we could stonewall SDSUs rushing game without those guys.



If Bronco could muster that from the D, then I have a feeling he could have mustered it vs. Air Force and Nevada; but instead he allowed Jaime Hill to gameplan and call plays and we got our butts kicked in the rushing game; something that Hill has shown a propensity to allow as a pass defense 1st kind of guy.



BYU has traditionally done 2 things this last half decade under Bronco; stopped the run of the other team and converted on 3rd downs on offense. We did both yesterday and the result was a W. The fact that we did it with our 2nd string is amazing.



This team grew up today, thanks to Bronco. I also think Bronco would admit that he probably trusted his coordinators a little too much and it burned him. If you're going to learn the hard way, do it when we have the weakest and smallest senior class in memory, rather than when we're loaded and regret early losses in what could be a special season.



What Bronco has set the tone for now is a serious shot at a winning season, momentum going into the Utah game and serious motivation in a bowl game. (Motivation might be the strongest predictor of success in a bowl game; either that or playing a pac 10 team ;) )



It all started with beatng SDSU....
S
scott715
Was it 06 when Bronco came back and beat NM to start something special?
S
SpiffCoug
scott715 wrote:
Was it 06 when Bronco came back and beat NM to start something special?

No, that was 2005.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.