Archived Topic

Did replay guys blow it?

by CAFB_04-12 · 10/10/2010

Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
I thought the SDSU fumble on the sideline was too vague to call, but I really thought (along with Wrubell) that JJ lost that fumble later in the game. I was shocked, actually, that we got to keep the ball on that one. That would have been a huge turnover for SDSU.
K
kfilly20
I thought JJ's was 100% a fumble ...
B
BYUgeezer
They blew both. The MTN had a view that showed that SDSU clearly fumbled. When JJ fumbled I told my daughter that the only way we don't lose the ball is if the reviewers do a make up call. I'm not saying they did but there was plenty of evidence JJ lost it.
C
CAFB_04-12
BYUgeezer wrote:
They blew both. The MTN had a view that showed that SDSU clearly fumbled. When JJ fumbled I told my daughter that the only way we don't lose the ball is if the reviewers do a make up call. I'm not saying they did but there was plenty of evidence JJ lost it.

I thought the exact same thing. Make-up call.
G
Guest
I'm pretty sure the SDSU fumble was the right call, the SDSU play touched the ball while he was out of bounds. The JJ fumble was definitely a fumble.
Advertisement
A
AmmonCougar1
I personally thought the refs felt bad 1) That they blew the earlier call & 2) That they totally had missed the facemask on DiLuigi that caused him to let go of the ball.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
C
CAFB_04-12
AmmonCougar1 wrote:
I personally thought the refs felt bad 1) That they blew the earlier call & 2) That they totally had missed the facemask on DiLuigi that caused him to let go of the ball.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID

A post-game call-in show tweet or something mentioned that the whistle had blown before the JJ fumble, saving the drive.



Strange situation where the out-of-bounds player reaches in-bounds to touch the ball to make the play out-of-bounds, without the ball ever leaving the green field. I guess the replay guys got both calls right.



I'm off to BK for a whopper.
A
AmmonCougar1
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
I personally thought the refs felt bad 1) That they blew the earlier call & 2) That they totally had missed the facemask on DiLuigi that caused him to let go of the ball.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID

A post-game call-in show tweet or something mentioned that the whistle had blown before the JJ fumble, saving the drive.



Strange situation where the out-of-bounds player reaches in-bounds to touch the ball to make the play out-of-bounds, without the ball ever leaving the green field. I guess the replay guys got both calls right.



I'm off to BK for a whopper.


I thought it may have been an early whistle too but we replayed it and it CLEARLY was NOT an early whistle and imo clearly a fumble. We caught a huge break.
M
mraven
I've replayed this a dozen times, and to me, it is clear that the whistle blew after the fumble but BEFORE the SDSU player grabbed the ball. I think that is why it wasn't ruled a fumble.
A
AmmonCougar1
mraven wrote:
I've replayed this a dozen times, and to me, it is clear that the whistle blew after the fumble but BEFORE the SDSU player grabbed the ball. I think that is why it wasn't ruled a fumble.


Great point. Just checked again and I believe you are correct.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
Advertisement
R
Raiderboy
mraven wrote:
I've replayed this a dozen times, and to me, it is clear that the whistle blew after the fumble but BEFORE the SDSU player grabbed the ball. I think that is why it wasn't ruled a fumble.


Doesn't change that it was a bad call. It doesn't really matter why it wasn't overturned eh?
B
byutx
Fellas, it doesn't matter if the whistle blew or not. The rule was changed a couple years ago that if the whistle blows when the ball is still live and a player recovers it and nobody else had a clear chance to get it (basicaly must be a bang-bang type play) then they'll overturn a play despite there being a whistle.



this was clearly a make up call IMO
R
Raiderboy
This was a make up call for TCU 2005 in my opinion!
B
Brayden Green
byutx wrote:
Fellas, it doesn't matter if the whistle blew or not. The rule was changed a couple years ago that if the whistle blows when the ball is still live and a player recovers it and nobody else had a clear chance to get it (basicaly must be a bang-bang type play) then they'll overturn a play despite there being a whistle.



this was clearly a make up call IMO


Make up call for sure.
B
BoiseBYU
Dang! Pac-10 just offered review ref a job so I guess he's history



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Metallicat
This was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. The replay guys totally blew it.
G
Gunk
Yes, the replay guys did blow it.



JJ did too. He got lucky on that one. Otherwise he'd have another fumble to his name. He's almost averaging one per game. I guess his ball security issues are still haunting him.
M
MJCOUGAR
MTM wrote:
Apparently the answer is "yes"

Twice according to this article



http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/oct/12/three-replay-officials-suspended-over-missed-sdsu-/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Yes and according to the comments at the end, whenever BYU is on the benefit side of call, that ref is automatically deemed a funny undy wearin mormon.



I get pretty tired of that lame accusation. I heard it a million times after the UW celebration penalty - oh that ref is a mormon guaranteed - Yes it was a bad call, I would say 99 percent of BYU fans would agree. They don't realize how many calls, ncaa decisions, benefits of the doubt, ect. do not go our way.
M
MTM
MJCOUGAR wrote:
Apparently the answer is "yes"

Twice according to this article



http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/oct/12/three-replay-officials-suspended-over-missed-sdsu-/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Yes and according to the comments at the end, whenever BYU is on the benefit side of call, that ref is automatically deemed a funny undy wearin mormon.



I get pretty tired of that lame accusation. I heard it a million times after the UW celebration penalty - oh that ref is a mormon guaranteed - Yes it was a bad call, I would say 99 percent of BYU fans would agree. They don't realize how many calls, ncaa decisions, benefits of the doubt, ect. do not go our way.


No argument here. Most user comment sections are 90% uneducated responses.



I do think BYU fans feel unduly picked on though when it comes to the NCAA or conference reviews of plays etc. I don't think there is a vendetta on BYU like some of their fans do. It just doesn't make sense. What would the motive be?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.