dmcougar wrote:
I can agree with that, Law and everyone else. On paper they look good next year, but they aren't close to good this year. Most people don't understand that in a 3-4 it doesn't matter much what the defensive line does, it is all on the linebackers. This year they are terrible, and they are being put in bad positions too. They need to not just be good in a 3-4 but great. Everything you do centers around their speed and physicality. They are to blame for not stopping the run, they are to blame for not getting to the qb. The DB's have been good with the exception of the Uale/Stevens combo.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I'm guessing you really didnt mean "it doesnt matter much what the defensive line does."
What do you think is the key to stopping the run? Better yet, what allows the LB's to hit their gaps and make tackles? Answer: The D linemen are holding their ground against one and usually two linemen. If the O linemen are getting upfield that means disaster for a young LB corps and success for RB and running QB's--ITS WHY WE ARE DEAD LAST IN FBS rush defense.
No, no it's not.
(FYI I played DE in both a 4-3 and a 3-4 stunt, and also played OLB against option running teams)
So I wasn't belittling the D-line or their effort. What I was referring to is people's idea on multiple threads that if we aren't getting to the qb and stopping the run, it is somehow the D-lines fault. In a 3-4 it isn't. The defensive lines job in a 3-4 is to engage/occupy lineman and try not to get "led" or pushed around. You are right, that they try to create gaps for linebackers to fill. The D line is doing a good job out there, especially Fuga when he was in. I'm sure there are plays here and there where they get dominated, but they are already set up to get dominated. People are complaining about sacks from the Dlineman, and they don't understand that a 3-4 Dlineman will never ever get a sack unless the qb is in the pocket for 12 seconds, or unless someone screws up (or more than one, more likely). In a 3-4 it is all about the linebackers... They get pressure on the quarterback from the outside (and sometimes hit inside gaps), they hit the gaps for the run, they ALWAYS have the assignment for a running qb, they are the make or break aspect of the defense. We have had good linebackers, and that has worked in the past. We don't have good linebackers this year: Our best is a beat-up Pendleton that doesn't set the edge, even against tight ends. After him, nobody is good. Hunter is below-average, Frazier misses 10 assignments a game, and doesn't hit anyone, KVN is gifted - but young, and hasn't been given time to develop/is not ready yet. I mean after JP, who is our next best lineman? Our MLB's are bad... just bad, and the OLB position isn't much better.
I wasn't posting against the D-line, I was actually defending them. Everyone is to blame for the D being so bad, but if you really want to pin it on one crew, look no further than the "two hand touch" linebackers.