Archived Topic

Sampson "really concerned" about Hill firing

by jonnylingo · 10/6/2010

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
It is always best to read several articles before drawing conclusions about a player's statment. For example, Jay Drew quoted the following from Sampson:



"Obviously, we are not behind the scenes like coach Mendenhall is. We trust [Mendenhall] 100 percent, 150 percent. I love that man. I will play for him any day. For him to see something like that to make a change like that, there obviously was something there. But as players, we have discussed it. It was a total shock. We didn't see this coming."



"...Mendenhall's oft-stated mantra that faith, family, friends and education are more important than football did not exactly jibe with Hill's beliefs on the matter.



" Not really trying to compare them, but I think coach Mendenahall, you know, he has a vision, and he doesn't look at the site. He doesn't look at the right now. He looks at the future and the vision. And within the vision, there's the five things: faith, family, friends, education, then football. And what he teaches and preaches to us, if you go about it in that format, you will be successful.

I am not saying that coach Hill didn't have a vision, but more of, he was focused on the right now. I think that was the difference. I think some guys take it how they want it, and some guys can be more effective with coach Hill's leadership philosophy, and some guys can be more successful with coach Mendenhall."



"My opinion personally is that being at a school like BYU, I think you have to go coach Mendenhall's route, which is the faith, and family, education, friends, then football.

Anywhere else, coach Hill's leadership, and his philosophy, and the way he went about things, would be normal."



Sounds to me like Coach Hill's philosophical approach didn't fit with Bronco's - hence the termination. I think all the players are on board with this change as they previously bought into Bronco's mantra.
S
SpiffCoug
And in the article Johnny posted that wasn't a direct quote from Sampson. It was a quote from Logan about how he thought Sampson felt. And Logan was quick to point out that Sampson would be taken care of because Howell knew what he was doing.



I'm not concerned with Sampson being "really concerned" because it's possible he wasn't "really concerned" and that those concerns have already been assuaged.
T
tmoney35
That article actually made me feel really good about all this



Van Noy:

"I’ve never been worked this hard ever...It’s a good thing though. You don’t like it probably when it’s going on, but after you know you need it. We need more intensity, more fire on defense and I think that’s going to be the biggest thing you’ll see from this."



Logan:

"He’s working us, that’s for sure. It seriously feels like we’re starting fall practices over again and that’s a good thing since we all need a fresh start."



I like what I'm hearing
B
BigCougsFan
What the crap?!?! So did Hill just have our defense watch film all day and not get out in the field and practice?



I'm confused as to what Hill had our defense do during practice.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
kitic77 wrote:
And in the article Johnny posted that wasn't a direct quote from Sampson. It was a quote from Logan about how he thought Sampson felt. And Logan was quick to point out that Sampson would be taken care of because Howell knew what he was doing.



I'm not concerned with Sampson being "really concerned" because it's possible he wasn't "really concerned" and that those concerns have already been assuaged.


That is ridiculous. Logan and sampson talk every day. When logan says that hill being fired really concerned him, you can bank on the fact that is really concerned him. And like having some young guy howell that i don't think sampson even knows is going to make sampson feel much better.



i am not saying that we will lose him, but logan is a better source than any other reporter on how sampson is feeling or at least was feeling. Point is that is had a serous affect on him, whether that has been put at ease or not. If I were other schools who wanted him I would be knocking on his door again.
F
frdbtr
BigCougsFan wrote:
What the crap?!?! So did Hill just have our defense watch film all day and not get out in the field and practice?



I'm confused as to what Hill had our defense do during practice.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Oh, I am sure they worked in practice, it is just that Bronco is a sadist when it comes to hard practices. He joked in fall camp how a lot of "volunteers" wanted to rethink volunteering for special teams when he started running them through drills. Funny thing is though, our special teams were #1 in the nation for return coverage. I expect our defense is going to improve, we may not see it completely this week, but it is going to improve.
I
imuakahuku
frdbtr wrote:
What the crap?!?! So did Hill just have our defense watch film all day and not get out in the field and practice?



I'm confused as to what Hill had our defense do during practice.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Oh, I am sure they worked in practice, it is just that Bronco is a sadist when it comes to hard practices. He joked in fall camp how a lot of "volunteers" wanted to rethink volunteering for special teams when he started running them through drills. Funny thing is though, our special teams were #1 in the nation for return coverage. I expect our defense is going to improve, we may not see it completely this week, but it is going to improve.


This brings to mind those that complain that Bronco's pratices are too short. I have always believed that it isn't the hours you put in but what you put into the hours.
F
frdbtr
imuakahuku wrote:
BigCougsFan wrote:
What the crap?!?! So did Hill just have our defense watch film all day and not get out in the field and practice?



I'm confused as to what Hill had our defense do during practice.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Oh, I am sure they worked in practice, it is just that Bronco is a sadist when it comes to hard practices. He joked in fall camp how a lot of "volunteers" wanted to rethink volunteering for special teams when he started running them through drills. Funny thing is though, our special teams were #1 in the nation for return coverage. I expect our defense is going to improve, we may not see it completely this week, but it is going to improve.


This brings to mind those that complain that Bronco's pratices are too short. I have always believed that it isn't the hours you put in but what you put into the hours.


Yeah, I always shake my head in confusion/amazement when I read on this site or in the media about bronco not having "fire" or putting football 5th on his priority list or whatever. Quinn Gooch put on his blog when he was still posting on it that they defense always envied the offense because they didn't have to go through practice after a loss with Bronco. Bronco is respectful of his players and coaches when the TV is on him and he doesn't make a fool of himself with tirades but he does have fire. I know a lot of folks were disapointed that the offense didn't have heads roll like the defense did, IMO the main reason Bronco is now coaching the defense is because it was always his baby, even after he was promoted to HC so when he saw the defense ranked 120th for rush defense he had had enough.
B
Brayden Green
Yeah, you guys are right. Sampson was in LOVE with our defensive showing this year, and our ability to stop the run and pass, and never, ever put pressure on the quarterback. I am very sure that any move to upgrade the defense will be looked upon very very poorly by him. :skeptic:
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Hire Brian Logan as a grad asst after this season; problem solved.... The guy knows how to get more out of less as it is and loves BYU, but doesn't have the size or speed for the NFL. He could be a coach though and it would ensure Sampson sticking with his commitment.
S
SpiffCoug
jonnylingo wrote:
And in the article Johnny posted that wasn't a direct quote from Sampson. It was a quote from Logan about how he thought Sampson felt. And Logan was quick to point out that Sampson would be taken care of because Howell knew what he was doing.



I'm not concerned with Sampson being "really concerned" because it's possible he wasn't "really concerned" and that those concerns have already been assuaged.


That is ridiculous. Logan and sampson talk every day. When logan says that hill being fired really concerned him, you can bank on the fact that is really concerned him. And like having some young guy howell that i don't think sampson even knows is going to make sampson feel much better.



i am not saying that we will lose him, but logan is a better source than any other reporter on how sampson is feeling or at least was feeling. Point is that is had a serous affect on him, whether that has been put at ease or not. If I were other schools who wanted him I would be knocking on his door again.

The point was you took six words out of an entire article and extrapolated an awful lot of information from those six words.
J
jonnylingo
kitic77 wrote:
kitic77 wrote:
And in the article Johnny posted that wasn't a direct quote from Sampson. It was a quote from Logan about how he thought Sampson felt. And Logan was quick to point out that Sampson would be taken care of because Howell knew what he was doing.



I'm not concerned with Sampson being "really concerned" because it's possible he wasn't "really concerned" and that those concerns have already been assuaged.


That is ridiculous. Logan and sampson talk every day. When logan says that hill being fired really concerned him, you can bank on the fact that is really concerned him. And like having some young guy howell that i don't think sampson even knows is going to make sampson feel much better.



i am not saying that we will lose him, but logan is a better source than any other reporter on how sampson is feeling or at least was feeling. Point is that is had a serous affect on him, whether that has been put at ease or not. If I were other schools who wanted him I would be knocking on his door again.

The point was you took six words out of an entire article and extrapolated an awful lot of information from those six words.


I thought those words were quite significant. For the guys family and good friend who basically talks to him every day to say that his reaction to the firing was that he was "really concerned" seems material to me. Thought I would point it out. He was a big get for us. Whether it changes things we don't know, but either way it is a point I thought worth making.



I know Logan wants to stick around BYU. I personally think its an EXCELLENT idea. Logan would be valuable in recruiting and helping non traditional byu recruits come and fit in and excel at byu. He is a model for that.
B
Brayden Green
I third the "Logan stays as assistant" movement. He is everything we want and need in a recruiter for minority, non lds athletes (who absolutely LOVES Bronco and BYU).
L
Lawboy
**BUMP**



I do this only to ask an honest question---does BYU havea credibility problem with non-LDS athletes and employees? Are LDS players and employees given more slack?



First we have Coach Hill's wife Facebook post, and many of us thought it referred to other BYU coaches still holding jobs this year even though performance is not great. Now we have this gem from Mike Loyd:



“The Mormon thing wasn’t for me,” said Loyd, who was born and raised in Las Vegas before living in Provo, Utah, for three years while playing basketball at BYU.



“The church was heavily involved with the school, and obviously, if you live anywhere for a long period of time, they are going to open your mind to what they believe. They had a problem with me not being LDS (Latter Day Saints), but I couldn’t get my mind around their concepts,” said Loyd, who calls himself a Christian.



I am not saying this is true, what I am saying is that if there is a perception out there now that this IS true, BYU has a real problem on its hands.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Lawboy wrote:
**BUMP**



I do this only to ask an honest question---does BYU havea credibility problem with non-LDS athletes and employees? Are LDS players and employees given more slack?



First we have Coach Hill's wife Facebook post, and many of us thought it referred to other BYU coaches still holding jobs this year even though performance is not great. Now we have this gem from Mike Loyd:



“The Mormon thing wasn’t for me,” said Loyd, who was born and raised in Las Vegas before living in Provo, Utah, for three years while playing basketball at BYU.



“The church was heavily involved with the school, and obviously, if you live anywhere for a long period of time, they are going to open your mind to what they believe. They had a problem with me not being LDS (Latter Day Saints), but I couldn’t get my mind around their concepts,” said Loyd, who calls himself a Christian.



I am not saying this is true, what I am saying is that if there is a perception out there now that this IS true, BYU has a real problem on its hands.




I got flamed pretty good for making the perception argument in Hill's wife's case. I agree. It really irritates me that people who leave BYU under less then desireable circumstances go on to say "I left because I wouldn't become a mormon" or "I was fired because I wasn't mormon" The reason it irritates me is because the outside world already is inclined to believe this and it gets confirmed by these lies.
S
Sammich
frdbtr wrote:
**BUMP**



I do this only to ask an honest question---does BYU havea credibility problem with non-LDS athletes and employees? Are LDS players and employees given more slack?



First we have Coach Hill's wife Facebook post, and many of us thought it referred to other BYU coaches still holding jobs this year even though performance is not great. Now we have this gem from Mike Loyd:



“The Mormon thing wasn’t for me,” said Loyd, who was born and raised in Las Vegas before living in Provo, Utah, for three years while playing basketball at BYU.



“The church was heavily involved with the school, and obviously, if you live anywhere for a long period of time, they are going to open your mind to what they believe. They had a problem with me not being LDS (Latter Day Saints), but I couldn’t get my mind around their concepts,” said Loyd, who calls himself a Christian.



I am not saying this is true, what I am saying is that if there is a perception out there now that this IS true, BYU has a real problem on its hands.




I got flamed pretty good for making the perception argument in Hill's wife's case. I agree. It really irritates me that people who leave BYU under less then desireable circumstances go on to say "I left because I wouldn't become a mormon" or "I was fired because I wasn't mormon" The reason it irritates me is because the outside world already is inclined to believe this and it gets confirmed by these lies.

The thing about this is, there's no way to hedge against this perception---if people want to find reasons why they're less "welcome" in Provo because of religion, they can easily find it. Even if they are never mistreated or treated differently, the fact that nearly everyone else is part of this club that they're not a part of will color their views of everything that happens to them there. And if they leave under less-than-favorable circumstances, the evidences they find, whether real or not, will become part of their justification why BYU didn't stick with them.
C
Cougy_Monster
On more than one occasion I've been treated unfairly (both school and work) by someone who I know doesn't like my religion. Whether religion played a role I don't know, but I have my opinion.



What I won't do is blab about poor poor me who got mistreated because of different religious beliefs. That just makes you look like a loser.



It is sad though that the media and a lot of regular people believe these lies from non-LDS, outspoken people who leave BYU.



The problem is that it's not really news worthy when a non-LDS professor or coach or player finishes up at BYU with a positive experience (which is the majority of cases). Nobody ever hears about that.
C
Cougy_Monster
What do people expect they're going to get when they move to Provo, Utah? The entire county is almost completely LDS. Among the 400,000 people in the area there will be lots who treat you well and a few who don't. If you want to find nice LDS friends you'll find them. If you want to find LDS jerks to complain about to the media you'll find them too. If you want to find a lot of non-LDS people you should move because they just aren't around. If you're surprised by that you have a problem.





I knew some people who went to a private catholic law school and complained about all the catholic influence. They explained it to me like it was unexpected. Definitely lacking some predictive reasoning there. How could they not see that coming?
S
SpiffCoug
Lawboy wrote:
**BUMP**



I do this only to ask an honest question---does BYU havea credibility problem with non-LDS athletes and employees? Are LDS players and employees given more slack?



First we have Coach Hill's wife Facebook post, and many of us thought it referred to other BYU coaches still holding jobs this year even though performance is not great. Now we have this gem from Mike Loyd:



“The Mormon thing wasn’t for me,” said Loyd, who was born and raised in Las Vegas before living in Provo, Utah, for three years while playing basketball at BYU.



“The church was heavily involved with the school, and obviously, if you live anywhere for a long period of time, they are going to open your mind to what they believe. They had a problem with me not being LDS (Latter Day Saints), but I couldn’t get my mind around their concepts,” said Loyd, who calls himself a Christian.



I am not saying this is true, what I am saying is that if there is a perception out there now that this IS true, BYU has a real problem on its hands.

Given the amount of scholastic, legal and honor code issues Loyd was dealing with, he was getting PLENTY of slack.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.