Archived Topic

O'Neill Speaks---Pointedly

by snoscythe · 10/6/2010

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
From Drew's and Gurney's Twitter feeds:



O'Neill Chambers says he was suspended "for being a competitor," says he will come back fiercer and with more fire in his eyes. "I didn't see [any] enthusiasm. I seen a lot of fear....I feel like we are going to come back with some sting and....fight. I'm going to go out there full speed and hurt somebody"



“I didn’t see any enthusiasm and I’ve seen a lot of fear out there. I feel that we’re going to come back with some sting. There’s no play-makers, so I’m going to step up. I’m going to be the guy who leads the team because there’s no leaders"
Y
Y 4 Ever
sounds like he's going to end up suspended again.
M
mcgregor
What's funny is that OC is going to receive a landslide of criticism for being EXACTLY what the team's detractors have been begging for. Sure, the better option is to keep the mouth shut. But OC has fire; from the looks of it, he's the only one.



I bet Chambers was suspended in part for saying some things that we all wish we could have said.
C
CAFB_04-12
I think you're right. I just think he probably said it to the wrong person (offensive coordinator, perhaps?). Firing up your team through your work ethic and performance (Austin Collie) is one thing--calling out your fellow players in front of the team because they aren't ... whatever ... is another. I still just don't think that OC's on-the-field performance matches the talk. I'm hoping that he emerges starting on Saturday. I think he's got the fire. Now the coaches need to direct it in the right way.
M
mizzoucoug
At this point I'll take it. OC is slow and is a fumble bum but I'll take someone who wants to win over McKay and Ashworthless anyday.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
A leader is someone who both talks the talk and walks the walk. O'Neill is obviously trying to get the first part down, but he has to do the second part in practices and games better to fill the leadership void. Heaps and Matt Reynolds on the other hand are walking the walk, but they aren't talking enough.



We need someone to do both and put some fight into the offense.
M
mcgregor
I think it's supremely important to have someone that WANTS what OC is vocalizing. Each player should want to be the playmaker--to take the mantle on himself. If you have 11 guys on the field wanting to be that man, you won't notice the least talented one among them.
B
BigCougsFan
I like it! I love it! :D



I can't wait to see what he WILL do!



We've all seen glimpses of what he can do. Now he has that hate/anger/motivation/everything to actually make it happen. Just got suspended. Apparently thought about leaving BYU. Didn't know what was right for him in his life.



Then all of a sudden a change happens. He realizes he needs BYU more than anything. We all saw it WHEN he and two others(nephew and Ross Apo) painted BYU on their chests AND screamed that BYU pride! Has anyone here done anything remotely close to that?!?!



I've never seen any other suspended player do that. Usually they're hiding. Embarassed.



I will be sorely disappointed if he doesn't meet my expectations, but right now, this team needs this type of vocalization. I guarantee you Bronco is happy O'Neill spoke up BECAUSE no one else has. Only thing I've seen close enough is, Jake Heaps taking the blame for a loss.
K
kfilly20
33311710 wrote:
sounds like he's going to end up suspended again.




Yeppers ....
B
BYULV
snoscythe wrote:
A leader is someone who both talks the talk and walks the walk. O'Neill is obviously trying to get the first part down, but he has to do the second part in practices and games better to fill the leadership void. Heaps and Matt Reynolds on the other hand are walking the walk, but they aren't talking enough.



We need someone to do both and put some fight into the offense.


Almost sounds like sno snuck in a bit of heaps praise. Maybe things are taking turn for the better.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BYULV
kfilly20 wrote:
sounds like he's going to end up suspended again.




Yeppers ....


If OC were to get suspended for being fired up and wanting to put some fire into the team I think he should have transferred when he had the chance. I wouldn't want to play on a team that puts out fires like that. We probably would have suspended and/or kicked out a lot of other fiery competitors (ie, McMahon, detmer, kozlowski, Morris, hall, the guy who punched out the pretty boy QB...)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


Who are our best receivers this year, WR or TE?



My opinion:

1- Apo

2- Hoffman

3- Chambers (anywhere on the field, outside, slot, TE, he's a big target that isn't super-fast and has some fumbling problems but who gives his all on every play)

4- Jacobsen (outside only- he's worthless in the slot)

5- Mathews (he's been both a TE and a WR, and is a better pass-catcher than most but doesn't get nearly enough playing time)

6- Falslev (he earned a shot to actually get time as a WR with his fiery play last week)

7- Mahina (he's a TE that, like Marcus, actually appears to have the ability to get open and catch the ball when it's thrown to him)

8- Marshall (similar to Falslev, a hard-working slot player who doesn't drop balls and is unafraid to get hit, ala Nate Meikle)



Quitters like Ashworth and Hafoka can have their schollies pulled for all I care.

Other guys like Meuhlmann (slow) and Holt (slow) have shown very little in limited snaps.

Wilson is a fast player and a good route-runner but is struggling with drops, and thus can sit the bench for the time being.



Also, there are other guys who could get a chance at one pass per game, guys like RB/FBs Hague and Foote and Mendenhall. Why not? I haven't seen any of them drop one yet.
B
BYULV
Pretty accurate assessment of the receivers.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Italics
snoscythe wrote:
From Drew's and Gurney's Twitter feeds:



O'Neill Chambers says he was suspended "for being a competitor," says he will come back fiercer and with more fire in his eyes. "I didn't see [any] enthusiasm. I seen a lot of fear....I feel like we are going to come back with some sting and....fight. I'm going to go out there full speed and hurt somebody"



“I didn’t see any enthusiasm and I’ve seen a lot of fear out there. I feel that we’re going to come back with some sting. There’s no play-makers, so I’m going to step up. I’m going to be the guy who leads the team because there’s no leaders"


I think Chambers is almost dead on his comments, and hopefully he'll be dead on in his prediction of becoming a leader as well... we REALLY need a big play-maker on offense - I'd love to say that JJ has been our big play maker, but he has screwed up too many potential big plays to qualify IMO.
I
Italics
mizzoucoug wrote:
At this point I'll take it. OC is slow and is a fumble bum but I'll take someone who wants to win over McKay and Ashworthlessanyday.


Holy crap, that nickname is GENIUS. Why didn't I think of that? I'm usually so clever! :D
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
Mars wrote:


Who are our best receivers this year, WR or TE?



My opinion:

1- Apo

2- Hoffman

3- Chambers (anywhere on the field, outside, slot, TE, he's a big target that isn't super-fast and has some fumbling problems but who gives his all on every play)

4- Jacobsen (outside only- he's worthless in the slot)

5- Mathews (he's been both a TE and a WR, and is a better pass-catcher than most but doesn't get nearly enough playing time)

6- Falslev (he earned a shot to actually get time as a WR with his fiery play last week)

7- Mahina (he's a TE that, like Marcus, actually appears to have the ability to get open and catch the ball when it's thrown to him)

8- Marshall (similar to Falslev, a hard-working slot player who doesn't drop balls and is unafraid to get hit, ala Nate Meikle)



Quitters like Ashworth and Hafoka can have their schollies pulled for all I care.

Other guys like Meuhlmann (slow) and Holt (slow) have shown very little in limited snaps.

Wilson is a fast player and a good route-runner but is struggling with drops, and thus can sit the bench for the time being.



Also, there are other guys who could get a chance at one pass per game, guys like RB/FBs Hague and Foote and Mendenhall. Why not? I haven't seen any of them drop one yet.


Breaking news: Apo has not been on the field this year...or ever as at the college level. Maybe best WR next year. I guess what he has going for him this year is that he has zero dropped balls...



Matthews only has 3 receptions, but he's 4th on the team in yards. Get him the ball.



I'm fine with Chambers' comments because both the players and coaches need to show more fire and emotion (and not just this year but in years past too). I don't live in The Promised Land so I don't get to see many games in person, but on TV I never see the coaches getting fired up to either congratulate or correct the players. On the other hand the camera flashed several times last week to USU's coaches getting fired up. I want Chambers to bring some of that to our team. BTW, what does a player have to do to earn the two initial nickname (like OC)? I haven't seen JH used yet...
S
snoscythe
byufan4ever wrote:
Breaking news: Apo has not been on the field this year...or ever as at the college level.


Thank you MSNBC. In other news, Apo played in the UW game, which is why he doesn't have a RS available.
B
byufan4ever
snoscythe wrote:
Breaking news: Apo has not been on the field this year...or ever as at the college level.


Thank you MSNBC. In other news, Apo played in the UW game, which is why he doesn't have a RS available.


Ok, my bad. I guess the fact that he had surgery before the season started and that has zero catches for zero yards for zero average for zero touchdowns led me to believe that he had not played. Please tell me what he did during that game to earn the spot as our best WR THIS year...
B
Brayden Green
byufan4ever wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:
Breaking news: Apo has not been on the field this year...or ever as at the college level.


Thank you MSNBC. In other news, Apo played in the UW game, which is why he doesn't have a RS available.


Ok, my bad. I guess the fact that he had surgery before the season started and that has zero catches for zero yards for zero average for zero touchdowns led me to believe that he had not played. Please tell me what he did during that game to earn the spot as our best WR THIS year...


Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning... It's not like we are arguing the college football hall of fame, we are talking about our WR unit. The most pathetic unit out there on the field for our 1-4 cougars, and that is saying something. I can see how a guy standing on the sidelines is better than most of the half-effort, drop everything wide recievers we have out there. Apo was our best receiver in training camp, as far as separation, and ability to go get the ball. I have not seen a receiver with his natural ability here at BYU ever. He was lacking in play knowledge, and will have that pretty much all squared up by the time he comes back in 2-3 weeks. I am beginning to think that the "4" in your name has something to do with an affinity for Chambers, and you are showing your colors.



Chambers (if it isn't you) will be back and will bolster our WR crew, and give them a much needed face lift that we have been missing the last few weeks. And that will be a very good thing.
B
bball
Chambers has always had the mouth, but it never translated into anything very significant on the field. I can do without the mouth, if the dang receivers would just catch a pass.



I'm waiting for the moment when some upper-class receiver (Ashworth or Jacobson) drops a pass, and Heaps gets in his face and tells him to get off the field, then calls a timeout and tells Doman or Anae to put a receiver on the field who can catch a pass. This isn't typical BYU, and I don't know if it's in Heaps to do it, but at some point, he's going to grab the leadership reigns of this team and start cracking the whip.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.