Archived Topic

Coaching Names That Get Thrown Around

by mcgregor · 10/5/2010

Advertisement
M
mcgregor
Micah Alba

Fit in very well while a GA. A Bronco man to the fullest. Smart and intense. Would consider BYU a dream job.



Mike Leach

Stop wasting your time.



Ty Detmer

A few years ago, this would have ben a long shot. He reached out to the school, and the school reached out to him, each at different, non-corresponding points. Ultimately, Detmer determined that he wasn't ready to leave a new-found home and stability. Now, however, some of his stability has fractured, and he's coaching again. He may look to upgrade.



Ben Cahoon

What many do not realize is that the decision to hire Brandon Doman was made difficult by a strong competitor: Ben Cahoon. Cahoon would likely consider an offer the next time around, and would make an excellent replacement for someone many consider a weak link on the staff.



Andy Reid

Still has a very strong relationship with Provo. There is at least one personality in Provo whom he admires considerably that has encouraged him to drop the rough lifestyle and take an easy job on the team, but I'm guessing his sensitivity to anyone he would be replacing would inspire a decline of any real offer.



Kenny M . . . . . a (Navy dude)

Nope.



Chad Lewis

Yes.



Boscoe

Been away too long.
I
imuakahuku
See this is an O lineup.



How about Danny White or Steve Kragthorpe?
C
craigoscarson
Give me Danny White teamed up with Brandon Doman, Coach Weber, and Chad Lewis on O



and



Rocky Long teamed up with Bronco, Micha Alba, Rob Morris, and Steve Kaufusi.

We're going Indy and Bronco needs his good friend. BYU should ante up and get Rocky; ESPN will foot the bill.



There's nothing that Robert Anae knows that Brandon Doman can't make work and Danny White would be the perfect mentor to the quarterbacks and a fresh breath at Co OC. I think Danny would welcome possibly his last chance to coach (I wanted him as head coach before Crowton was hired) and he'd be a big name that could only help recruiting. (I dont' care if the kids don't remember him, their parents do)

Chad Lewis would get the receivers and tight ends straightened out quickly.



BYU needs to make a splash in the coaching staff if they hope to successfully recruit next year. We've seen that even though UW hasn't won, that their new coaching hires helped them reel in recruits; same for USC where Kiffin has never won as a head coach, yet he made a splash and it got some kids attention.



We also need to bring in Rocky Long to help motivate guys like Joe Sampson to stay on board.
W
Wickchad
mcgregor wrote:





Ben Cahoon

What many do not realize is that the decision to hire Brandon Doman was made difficult by a strong competitor: Ben Cahoon. Cahoon would likely consider an offer the next time around, and would make an excellent replacement for someone many consider a weak link on the staff.


I thought they were deciding between Higgins and Cahoon to coach the wide receivers. Maybe its a good time to see if Cahoon is finally ready to retire from the CFL and come teach our receivers how to catch.
D
Ddawg
Luv the Rocky Long & Ben Cahoon picks. Ben Cahoon is still playing football in the Canadian Football League. His reputation is "Mr. Dependable" & a solid "Go To" receiver. I believe he is just a few catches away from setting the all time receptions record for the CFL. Look @ the problem our receivers are having - drops & missed catches!!!! Ben Cahoon would get that circus straightened out in a hurry.



Great suggestions posted. I hope Bronco makes a change after the season ends in OC. I never thought I'd say that - but it is time to move on & move forward w/ a new OC.
Advertisement
M
Mars
mcgregor wrote:
Micah Alba

Fit in very well while a GA. A Bronco man to the fullest. Smart and intense. Would consider BYU a dream job.



Mike Leach

Stop wasting your time. No!



Ben Cahoon

What many do not realize is that the decision to hire Brandon Doman was made difficult by a strong competitor: Ben Cahoon. Cahoon would likely consider an offer the next time around, and would make an excellent replacement for someone many consider a weak link on the staff.



Andy Reid

Still has a very strong relationship with Provo. There is at least one personality in Provo whom he admires considerably that has encouraged him to drop the rough lifestyle and take an easy job on the team, but I'm guessing his sensitivity to anyone he would be replacing would inspire a decline of any real offer.



Chad Lewis

Yes.

Anae will be gone after this year. Doman will be the new OC.

From what I hear, Anae wanted the 2-QB system, with Nelson as the starter, while Doman wanted one QB, Heaps.

I've also heard that Anae is the reason for Chambers' suspension, the two of them exchanging words over his stupid play calling during practice. I'm curious if any other sources have heard this same thing.



Higgins is also gone after this year. Cahoon on paper seems like a major upgrade there.



Weber's job hasn't been in question yet from what I've heard, but I'm definitely not sold on him still.



And Chad Lewis is a great BYU guy. I kind of like him as an unpaid coach right now, because that means he can go to summer workouts and throwing sessions.
I
imuakahuku
I love Cahoon's attitude. Couple of his quotes



"At BYU, our mantra was 'the difficult catches are routine; the impossible ones just take a little bit more practice,' and that's how I view things,"



"Consistency is more important than greatness, but if you're consistent over time, you can accomplish great things,"



"You've got to be so prepared when you take the field on game day that catching is natural, that you're not concerned about making a mistake or dropping a pass," Cahoon says. "You want the ball thrown to you because you know you're going to make the catch. Practice reps build confidence, and confidence makes it natural. If you get out there and you're telling yourself 'Don't drop a pass,' you'll drop one."
J
jonnylingo
Aren't Bronco and Rocky Long on the outs? I thought I remember hearing about some bad blood there over Bronco leaving.



Also, can byu really run a rocky long type of defense? Hasn't Bronco already said that its not possible here? I like the idea but wonder if it would really work at byu.



would long come even if he was offered the job. things seem to be going well for sdsu. Not to mention he would go from head coach over bronco to assistant coach under him, something many would have a hard time with.
R
redneckjedi
I would LOVE to have Cahoon on the staff. He's exactly the kind of receiver we used to have - totally overachieving and always CAUGHT THE FREAKING BALL!



What about Eric Drage? He's been doing some semi-pro coaching in Utah. I would love to have him on the staff even more. His ridiculously sticky hands and competitive fire made him my childhood hero - even over Ty Detmer. Get him on the phone, Bronco!
Advertisement
G
Guest
redneckjedi wrote:
I would LOVE to have Cahoon on the staff. He's exactly the kind of receiver we used to have - totally overachieving and always CAUGHT THE FREAKING BALL!



What about Eric Drage? He's been doing some semi-pro coaching in Utah. I would love to have him on the staff even more. His ridiculously sticky hands and competitive fire made him my childhood hero - even over Ty Detmer. Get him on the phone, Bronco!


I do know that Drage has been interested in coaching receivers at BYU, in fact he interviewed for the job back when Bronco went with Higgins. So I hope he'd still consider it again now that we need a change there.
G
Gucci33
imuakahuku wrote:
See this is an O lineup.



How about Danny White or Steve Kragthorpe?




Danny White is my choice!
J
jonnylingo
If we are going to talk about names being 'thrown around' cougarboard is blowing up about morgan scalley being the new dc.



i have not seen any legitimate sources in this regards however. it appears to be just another cougarboard rumor.
L
Lawboy
Bronco and Rocky smoothed things over after Bronco got the head job. Rocky was a bit upset Bronco made a lateral move to BYU for the same position in the same conference, which is usually a no-no, but they are good now. They worked together at Oregon State as well so they have lots of history. And whether BYU rins a 3-3-5, or a 3-4, I think rocky has the right mentality to help BYU out on D, and Bronco trusts him implicitly, which would free Bronco up as e wishes.
G
Gucci33
redneckjedi wrote:
I would LOVE to have Cahoon on the staff. He's exactly the kind of receiver we used to have - totally overachieving and always CAUGHT THE FREAKING BALL!



What about Eric Drage? He's been doing some semi-pro coaching in Utah. I would love to have him on the staff even more. His ridiculously sticky hands and competitive fire made him my childhood hero - even over Ty Detmer. Get him on the phone, Bronco!




Drage is another great choice.
Advertisement
I
IndiCoug
redneckjedi wrote:
I would LOVE to have Cahoon on the staff. He's exactly the kind of receiver we used to have - totally overachieving and always CAUGHT THE FREAKING BALL!



What about Eric Drage? He's been doing some semi-pro coaching in Utah. I would love to have him on the staff even more. His ridiculously sticky hands and competitive fire made him my childhood hero - even over Ty Detmer. Get him on the phone, Bronco!


I don't know about Eric Drage but I played HS ball with Cahoon and he could fix the recievers in one off season if he was the positions coach. I've said this on CC many times but Cahoon understands if you touch the ball with two hands it's a must catch. If you only get one hand on the ball it's 50/50. If you're droppin balls that you get two hands on you are ridin the beach. Easy as that. That's the way we were taught at MV and he's carried that on through the CFL.
L
Lawboy
Sounds like everyone is ready to fire Coach Higgins.(WR Coach). He has to be feeling the heat right now as well, along with Coach Anae. He is a Bronco hire as well, so wonder what he would do. I think the OC would go before the WR Coach, though, and I do not see both getting replaced prior to next year unless one leaves on their own.
N
NebraskaCoug
I don't know about Eric Drage but I played HS ball with Cahoon and he could fix the recievers in one off season if he was the positions coach. I've said this on CC many times but Cahoon understands if you touch the ball with two hands it's a must catch. If you only get one hand on the ball it's 50/50. If you're droppin balls that you get two hands on you are ridin the beach. Easy as that. That's the way we were taught at MV and he's carried that on through the CFL.
.



It also doesn't hurt that Cahoon would have the moral authority of the CFL receptions record and a career receptions/year average almost identical to the NFL record holder, Jerry Rice's (77.46/year vs. 77.45/year).
G
Guest
Lawboy wrote:
Sounds like everyone is ready to fire Coach Higgins.(WR Coach). He has to be feeling the heat right now as well, along with Coach Anae. He is a Bronco hire as well, so wonder what he would do. I think the OC would go before the WR Coach, though, and I do not see both getting replaced prior to next year unless one leaves on their own.


In this I have to think Higgins has more heat on him than Anae. Other than Collie our receivers have seemingly struggled for years.
B
byucougar1
Deseret News Article mentions Cahoon (a former walk-on at BYU) is thinking about coaching at some level after his career:



He said, "I enjoy working with young men, and I feel like some of the most influential people in my life were coaches...I've learned a significant amount about what it takes to be a successful football player, and I feel like I can pass that along and help people reach their potential."



The article further states, "BYU's receivers will always be held to standards established by players like Ben Cahoon, and the Cougars' current pass-catchers are struggling to live up to those comparisons. Plagued by inconsistency and drops, they can look to the former Cougar wideout for some words of wisdom."



Given his statements, there is an opportunity for BYU to offer him a position for the WR - instant credibility.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.