Archived Topic

Re-assignment of Def Players by Bronco

by byucougar1 · 10/4/2010

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Thinking out loud, but what changes to the defensive scheme and players do you see?



My thoughts are major revisions to the DL and LB as this seemed to be point of attack that was missing the most heart (Van Noy, Aveni, Stout, Bryson, etc.).
L
Lawboy
Aveni Leng-Wei is getting moved to an outside backer due to Pendleton's injury. Bryson is also being cross trained as an OLB. We still have Jorgensen, Hunter, Stout and Ogletree in the middle, and Mendenhall is getting moved from safety to ILB in training. Interesting that Bryson is getting moved to the OLB slot, but his frame looks like he could be an awesome outside rusher for us if he can run.



Rich already got moved to SS, and he has been a tackle machine since the move. But if he is out, we will feel it. J'Ray is still a RS freshman, but will be good for us. And Uale/Mendehall have been ok for us, not great. Our D has really struggled this year, and it starts upfront. The front 7 has not been good at all this year.
B
bball
I suspect the position changes will be minor. The real difference will be intensity and physicality. I really like this little shakeup, and I really like Bronco back running the defense.



I've also been interested in watching coaches on the sideline. I'm rather surprised in seeing Bronco, apparently, uninvolved, unemotional, never moving, never talking to anyone, just standing there watching the game. I'm sure he does more than that, but watch any other coach, especially in key situations, key downs, penalties, key offensive or defensive decisions, and those coaches are very visible, very active, and obviously involved in the decision making.



Bronco has always said he leaves the offense up to the offensive coaches, the defense up to the defensive coaches, etc; but he IS the head coach, how can you not be involved in what's going on, in the decisions, the penalties, talking to the officials, talking to players as they come off the field, or go on the field--I just never see any of that. Maybe that will change now that BYU has lost 4 in a row, and faces a losing season, no bowl game, and a very unhappy fan base.



The worst scenario for Saturday would be that SDSU scores 24 points in the first half, like everybody else has, and BYU loses again--then what? Or what if the defense holds SDSU to 13 points but BYU only scores 10, and we lose again? Will he fire Anae?



I suspect there is indeed a sense of urgency, if not panic, among the coaches and the players. I don't see these guys giving into another loss, a losing season, a disappointing senior year, etc.
S
SenorCougar
We will find out Saturday at game time which defensive players have HEART... Bronco tends to put heart over talent.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.