Archived Topic

Interesting

by CDH · 10/3/2010

Advertisement
C
CDH
I have been listening to everyone the last five weeks blasting our OC. So I did some digging and come up with these stats. Our Offense is struggling (as we all new it would with the youth) this year but before this season in 2009 our offense scored 34.8 ppg and 437 ypg 2008 35 ppg 444 ypg 2007 31.2 ppg 457 ypg 2006 36 ppg 458 ypg 2005 33 463 ypg. If your offense is that powerful and can score that much you should win a lot of games which we have over these years. We have won alot through that time because our Offense has been that GOOD!!!! I don't understand how a guy can be on the hot seat after his offense has these types of numbers. Just remember how bad everyone wanted Norm Chow out of here til he was gone.



He has had some good talent through these years but I think BYU should be able to get that talent, like they have for years before esp. at QB and TE. Robert Anae offense has been very good and among the best in the nation. Usually we have close to 4000 yards passing and 1500 yards rushing per year. What I am trying to say is he is doing his job. The Defense has gotten worse the last couple of season since Bronco has let more of the duties go to other coaches. I think Bronco needs to be the DC and HC. Maybe Kelly Poppinga is the answer here. I liked Coach Hill and wished he would have stayed on as a DB coach. Hopefully we can get our defense back to stopping people on third and forth downs. So our offense can get back on the field. Broncos D has usually been really good against the run this year we are LAST PLACE in stopping the run!!!! WE NEEDED THIS CHANGE BADLY!!!!!
B
byutx
A complete failure even just once every sixth year is unacceptable. That's why. Those offenses had successes in spite of Anae, not because of him. Imagine the success of our previous offenses under a good or great OC!
C
CDH
Sure they went out there and won 10 or 11 games by them selfs right. Coaching or play calling had nothing to do with it. Just like this year its all on coaching, the drops the missed tackles and turnovers! All coaches fault esp. Anae right!!!! What a Joke!!!! Its nice to see 1 player taking accountability, Heaps is the only one I have heard take it. Sure there have been coaching mistakes this year but thats not the only problem here.
S
Schmoe
The problem that we're having is that Anae is still calling plays as if he had Harvey and Max. We can just push it up the gut in the redzone anymore, run some play action on first down. We can't rely on our young, inexperienced, tunnel-visioned QB to get us the third and long everytime. We need to be more creative with the play calling and move the ball more on first and second down. It's not all Anae's fault, obviously, our QB isn't playing well, our receivers aren't catching the ball, but he needs to change according to the personnel that he has. We didn't win "in spite" of Anae, the problem is that he thinks we can have the same success running the same offense with different players.
F
frdbtr
Schmoe wrote:
The problem that we're having is that Anae is still calling plays as if he had Harvey and Max. We can just push it up the gut in the redzone anymore, run some play action on first down. We can't rely on our young, inexperienced, tunnel-visioned QB to get us the third and long everytime. We need to be more creative with the play calling and move the ball more on first and second down. It's not all Anae's fault, obviously, our QB isn't playing well, our receivers aren't catching the ball, but he needs to change according to the personnel that he has. We didn't win "in spite" of Anae, the problem is that he thinks we can have the same success running the same offense with different players.


Bronco doesn't want creative, he doesn't want tricks, he doesn't want gadget plays, he wants execution of the play book. You know what, the play book would be working if players were executing the way that they should be. When I watch BYU's offense, I see plays breaking down when a player doesn't do what he is supposed to. BYU called a bootleg on the 4 yard line that was WIDE open and Heaps overthrew his target. We have talked about dropped passes ad nausium. There is just something that is misfiring and I don't think that it is all on the coaches. I think that the coaches responsibility is to prepare our guys to be ready to execute on Saturdays and as far as that is concerned they are failing. The players need to take some responsibility to step up and make plays though and that isn't happening either. A lot needs to get better for this team to win some more games this year, I don't think it is going to happen fast enough to get them to 6 wins though.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
One other point. I heard Scott Johnson say on the radio after one of the losses that sometimes making a play requires you to beat other player that you are playing against, in order to make a tackle or get that yard you need to get a first down. I agree that I would like to see more play action or at least fakes to RB's in short yardage situations but frankly, it is the job of the offensive line to beat their man in short yardage and open a gap for the RB to run through to get the yardage and it isn't happening. Yes that is part coaching but it is also on the players to execute and we just have too many plays where someone doesn't do what he is suppsed to and causes plays to break down.



ONe last point, I can guarantee you that our defense is going to start making the plays that they are supposed to be making. Bronco is going to get that fixed.
S
Schmoe
frdbtr wrote:
The problem that we're having is that Anae is still calling plays as if he had Harvey and Max. We can just push it up the gut in the redzone anymore, run some play action on first down. We can't rely on our young, inexperienced, tunnel-visioned QB to get us the third and long everytime. We need to be more creative with the play calling and move the ball more on first and second down. It's not all Anae's fault, obviously, our QB isn't playing well, our receivers aren't catching the ball, but he needs to change according to the personnel that he has. We didn't win "in spite" of Anae, the problem is that he thinks we can have the same success running the same offense with different players.


Bronco doesn't want creative, he doesn't want tricks, he doesn't want gadget plays, he wants execution of the play book. You know what, the play book would be working if players were executing the way that they should be. When I watch BYU's offense, I see plays breaking down when a player doesn't do what he is supposed to. BYU called a bootleg on the 4 yard line that was WIDE open and Heaps overthrew his target. We have talked about dropped passes ad nausium. There is just something that is misfiring and I don't think that it is all on the coaches. I think that the coaches responsibility is to prepare our guys to be ready to execute on Saturdays and as far as that is concerned they are failing. The players need to take some responsibility to step up and make plays though and that isn't happening either. A lot needs to get better for this team to win some more games this year, I don't think it is going to happen fast enough to get them to 6 wins though.




There is a huge, gigantic, enormous difference between being more creative and running trick/gadget plays. I already addressed that it's not just the coaches fault, like I said, if we still had Harvey we could score most of the time by just running it up the gut in the redzone, but we don't have him, so we need to get more creative (like a play action bootleg on 1st down in the redzone, Heaps may not be able to get it in one try, so give him a couple chances to get it done) to get the points and move the ball. There are definitely problems on all sides of the ball and plenty of blame to go around, and the play calling is one of many areas where we can improve.
J
jonnylingo
I am starting to wonder how much of anae's succes is due to him and how much it was due to talent he had and max hall basically running the offense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
I'm not sure I buy the "the players X audibled away all the bad coaching calls and is the real reason for success, not Coach X, he did nothing"



THis was the SAME things I heard from former players during the last few years of Norm Chow. Exact same argument. Chow was unimaginative, Sark and every other great QB called their own plays all the time and they were the reason for BYU's success and Chow should leave.



maybe it was time for Chow to leave, but funny how now we're hearing the EXACT same argument. I don't buy it.
B
byutx
CDH wrote:
Sure they went out there and won 10 or 11 games by them selfs right. Coaching or play calling had nothing to do with it. Just like this year its all on coaching, the drops the missed tackles and turnovers! All coaches fault esp. Anae right!!!! What a Joke!!!! Its nice to see 1 player taking accountability, Heaps is the only one I have heard take it. Sure there have been coaching mistakes this year but thats not the only problem here.


Just pointing out that there is another viable explanation. I guess you didn't catch that. Maybe I'll repost it in a way you might understand:



Sure, the coaches went out there and won 10 or 11 games by them selfs right. Athleticism and on-field performance had nothing to do with it. Unlike most years its all on the players, the poor coaching decisions, no development of talent, not being coached to win. All the players fault. Players right!!!! What a Joke!!!! Its nice to see 1 coach taking accountability, Bronco is the only one I have heard take it. Sure there have been player mistakes this year but thats not the problem here.



Also, feel free to learn about apostrophes.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
CDH wrote:
Sure they went out there and won 10 or 11 games by them selfs right.


Looking back on it, with the offensive talent BYU has had the past three years, they should have done better than 10 wins in '08 and 11 wins in '09. I theorize that some better offensive coaching might have helped BYU over that 11 win plateau.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.