Archived Topic

Hill Oblivious

by Gunk · 10/3/2010

Advertisement
G
Gunk
According to Hill in this article the firing was completely out of the blue. Hill thought Bronco wanted to see him Sat. to discuss Bronco taking over play calling responsibilities.



According to Hill, no explanation was given other than Bronco and Holmoe thought it was time for a change.



Can't wait for Monday's press conference.



http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/football/article_9fed81eb-f21a-531e-8d72-0f144f09a7fb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
F
frdbtr
You don't demote coaches. If they have lost the respect of the players, they will not be able to coach them in any capacity. You have to cut losses and move on. It is too bad for Hill but he was not getting it done. You don't give up 4 scores in 5 possesions against utah state. Completely unacceptable. It was completely unacceptable whent he defense gave up all those scores in the second half at FSU but to do it agains utah state is ridiculous. This defense is horrible and someone needs to fix it. That someone is Bronco. Unfortunately, it is 2 losses too late because it is going to take more then Bronco running the defense for BYU to win the next 2 weeks.
M
Mars


1- Hill was a good DBs coach (Jan Jorgensen thought so too).

2- I wish he could have finished the season just working with the secondary (he says he would have).

3- Hill wasn't our worst Coordinator.

4- Nor will he be the only one fired this year.
C
Cougs_Rule
Gunk wrote:
According to Hill in this article the firing was completely out of the blue. Hill thought Bronco wanted to see him Sat. to discuss Bronco taking over play calling responsibilities.



According to Hill, no explanation was given other than Bronco and Holmoe thought it was time for a change.



Can't wait for Monday's press conference.



http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/football/article_9fed81eb-f21a-531e-8d72-0f144f09a7fb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Don't count on much about Hill. Bronco has moved on. He will discuss the future. Those with Inquiring Minds will be sorely disappointed.

Hill does sound oblivious. But then again, people with social/personality deficits don't recognize or struggle to do so.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Yzzazz
One important factoid worthy of attention is the idea that (according to Hill himself) Holmoe and Bronco were there with a PAPER for him to sign. I don't care what school you go to, but you don't grouse about a game and have a paper ready to sign the next day.



A paper means the legal team got involved. A paper means reviews and approvals. It means time. This is something that was in the works for probably two weeks or so--say about the time since Chambers' suspension (blatant speculation there I admit it).



Hill may have been fired even if the scores had been reversed.



FWIW, I was in the stands up a Logan and I haven't seen a BYU team play with such little heart and effort since maybe the Motor City bowl. I remember thinking to myself "I wonder if something bad happened internally and that's got all the team bummed out."



Hill's claim that this came out of the blue is the kind of statement I would expect to come out of someone panicked over their career prospects who then just got a microphone jammed in their face. If Hill DID mail it in in the USU game, the reason is obvious. He knew before the game began that something was afoot and it didn't matter what he did. He would soon be gone.



My take.
Advertisement
P
pikoi
Not sure if it has anything to do with it but I have heard directly from a current player that he was told by Hill not to go on a mission and then berated when he made the decision to leave and treated poorly when he returned.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Yzzazz wrote:

FWIW, I was in the stands up a Logan and I haven't seen a BYU team play with such little heart and effort since maybe the Motor City bowl. I remember thinking to myself "I wonder if something bad happened internally and that's got all the team bummed out."


Wow, you really think so? I'd say there were a few performances in the Crowton years worse than the Motor City Bowl - the home destruction to BSU comes to mind...at AFA...at home to UNLV and UNM. So many to choose from.



That being said, I agree with your overall point - BYU played with no heart. I saw exactly 2 players who acted like they really, really wanted it - Heaps, and Falslev.
S
Schmoe
I don't think you can ever leave Pendelton and Rich out of players who show up with heart every game, it's what makes them so good.
S
SpiffCoug
33311710 wrote:

FWIW, I was in the stands up a Logan and I haven't seen a BYU team play with such little heart and effort since maybe the Motor City bowl. I remember thinking to myself "I wonder if something bad happened internally and that's got all the team bummed out."


Wow, you really think so? I'd say there were a few performances in the Crowton years worse than the Motor City Bowl - the home destruction to BSU comes to mind...at AFA...at home to UNLV and UNM. So many to choose from.



That being said, I agree with your overall point - BYU played with no heart. I saw exactly 2 players who acted like they really, really wanted it - Heaps, and Falslev.

Even under Crowton we didn't have fist fights amongst teammates in the huddle on the field like we did at the Motor City Bowl.
B
BroncoBot
Yzzazz wrote:
One important factoid worthy of attention is the idea that (according to Hill himself) Holmoe and Bronco were there with a PAPER for him to sign. I don't care what school you go to, but you don't grouse about a game and have a paper ready to sign the next day.



A paper means the legal team got involved. A paper means reviews and approvals. It means time. This is something that was in the works for probably two weeks or so--say about the time since Chambers' suspension (blatant speculation there I admit it).



Hill may have been fired even if the scores had been reversed.



FWIW, I was in the stands up a Logan and I haven't seen a BYU team play with such little heart and effort since maybe the Motor City bowl. I remember thinking to myself "I wonder if something bad happened internally and that's got all the team bummed out."



Hill's claim that this came out of the blue is the kind of statement I would expect to come out of someone panicked over their career prospects who then just got a microphone jammed in their face. If Hill DID mail it in in the USU game, the reason is obvious. He knew before the game began that something was afoot and it didn't matter what he did. He would soon be gone.



My take.

I've actually been thinking this since Air Force. Maybe that's why we've been seeing grumblings out of KVN, etc. We don't have the full story but BYU's demeanor has never been worse and it wouldn't surprise me if internal conflicts had something to do with it.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
As good as Rich and Pendleton are, they have had not good years this year. Rich has been out of position a lot, probably because he's been trying to stop the run. Pendleton hasn't been playing up to expectations, sadly, and hasn't been as physical as the team has needed him to be. He also may have been dealing with some injuries.



Having said that, I don't think they have been mailing it in and playing with no passion. They just haven't been playing as well as the two best players on that side of the ball (and maybe the team with how Reynolds has actually played this year) have needed to play.
S
Schmoe
Rich has been trying to stop the run because the front 7 cannot. When you're the worst run defense in the country, you have to cut corners somewhere.
Y
Y12
Schmoe wrote:
I don't think you can ever leave Pendelton and Rich out of players who show up with heart every game, it's what makes them so good.


Van Noy impressed me.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.