Archived Topic

Who wanted Hill gone? Bronco or the AD?

by Dwight · 10/3/2010

Advertisement
D
Dwight
I'm just wondering who was more motivated to fire Hill? It doesn't strike me as Bronco's style.
G
Gunk
It doesn't? You're talking about a man who's greatest BOM hero is Captain Moroni. If the rumors of discord between Hill, players and coaches are true, which they look to be, how long do you think Captain Moroni would put up with it?



The more I think about it the more I think this aligns perfectly with Bronco's style. Bronco will give a player a chance or two, but if an effort isn't being made than he's done. I think the same goes with his coaches.



We're not privy to how many behind-closed-door conversations there were between Hill and Bronco, but I'm willing to bet Hill had his chances and Bronco just didn't fire him out of the blue over a few bad games.



Team unity and execution on a team level is paramount to Bronco. If something is poisoning the well, you get ride of it. Clean the vessel within, cut-off your arm if it offends you; etc...
F
frdbtr
Does it matter?
G
Gunk
frdbtr wrote:
Does it matter?


Yes, it does matter. If this was a Holmoe move it's indicative of how involved the AD is in the football program. Is it Bronco calling the shots on the coaches or is this Holmoe flexing his muscles. As AD Holmoe certainly is the boss, but preferably it's better to let a head coach do his thing.



It's similar to General Managers of professional teams being more hands on. Typically under such scenarios, it doesn't work as you end up with coaches just doing whatever the General Manager wants just so they can keep their jobs and General Managers are not coaches.
M
Mingjai
Both Holmoe and Mendenhall are defensive-minded coaches.



Holmoe was a safety at BYU and San Francisco, DB coach under Bill Walsh at Stanford, DB coach under George Seifert in San Francisco, and defensive coordinator for Steve Mariucci at Cal. He has 4 Super Bowl rings--3 as a player and 1 as a coach. I assume he knows exactly what's going wrong on defense.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Gunk wrote:
Does it matter?


Yes, it does matter. If this was a Holmoe move it's indicative of how involved the AD is in the football program. Is it Bronco calling the shots on the coaches or is this Holmoe flexing his muscles. As AD Holmoe certainly is the boss, but preferably it's better to let a head coach do his thing.



It's similar to General Managers of professional teams being more hands on. Typically under such scenarios, it doesn't work as you end up with coaches just doing whatever the General Manager wants just so they can keep their jobs and General Managers are not coaches.


The bottom line is, he was not getting it done and now is gone, it doesn't matter. Holmoe is a pretty smart guy, he wasn't a good head coach but he is still a smart guy, I would be completely comfortable if he were in charge of the hiring and firing of Bronco's assistants. So far his track record for hiring head coaches has been pretty good. No one will ever know for sure, but I think that it was Bronco's decision. Bronco knows that if he were coaching the defense, it would be performing better then it is so he is taking it over.
B
byutx
The question should be who didn't want Hill gone? Players, coaches, staff, admin are all happpy about this
M
Mars


How many people has Bronco fired in 6 years? Is this the first?



Ultimately, I think it was Holmoe's decision. He may have made Bronco choose between Hill and Anae. Anae's days are numbered though at this point.
C
Cougs_Rule
I've made this claim before, but there has been a lack of unity among the coaches for several years. Winning has diminished the effects, Losing exacerbated. Which of the position coaches on D wouldve wanted to continue coaching under Hill if all the personality deficits existed and we're getting the crap beat out of us? No brainer really. I'm sure like any authority they appeal to a higher authority (TH) before making the move. And, don't think TH didn't run it by CS.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
To Kryle's credit, he has owned " the systems" and just plugged in new Coordinators. Bronco needs to "reown" the system and then plug in the DC and OC. He's starting on D. I agree, Anae's days are numbered.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
To say Holmoe wanted to fire Hill more than Bronco because it was not his "style" in garbage. This move does not hapen unless Bronco wants it to. Bronco hired coach Hill, Bronco promoted Coach Hill. Bronco runs the program. End of discussion.



As to coach Anae, as I recall, he was hired to be the OC before BYU named a head coach. Bronco did not hire Coach Anae, someone in the AD did, which I still think was a mistake. Not the hiring of Anae, but not letting the head coach choose his own coordinator. I think Coach Anae's main weakness is game calling. Sorry, but 53 passes for a true freshman and over 100 in 2 weeks is not putting a team in position to win. He has shown an inability to stay committed to the run for 6 years now. He just can't do it.
F
frdbtr
Lawboy wrote:
To say Holmoe wanted to fire Hill more than Bronco because it was not his "style" in garbage. This move does not hapen unless Bronco wants it to. Bronco hired coach Hill, Bronco promoted Coach Hill. Bronco runs the program. End of discussion.



As to coach Anae, as I recall, he was hired to be the OC before BYU named a head coach. Bronco did not hire Coach Anae, someone in the AD did, which I still think was a mistake. Not the hiring of Anae, but not letting the head coach choose his own coordinator. I think Coach Anae's main weakness is game calling. Sorry, but 53 passes for a true freshman and over 100 in 2 weeks is not putting a team in position to win. He has shown an inability to stay committed to the run for 6 years now. He just can't do it.




Can you tell me what the scores were at half time the last two weeks? I'll refresh your memory....24-3 in both weeks. We wouldn't have thrown 100 passes if BYU weren't down by 3 touchdowns at half. IMO the defense is retarding the growth of this young offense becuase it is letting us get down early and taking us out of running our offense the way we want to. Anae doesn't want a true freshman throwing 50 times a game, Max Hall never even did that. The fact is, when you get down by 3 touchdowns, you have to try to throw yourself back into the game which is a no win situation when you have a true freshman at QB.
W
Wickchad
frdbtr wrote:
To say Holmoe wanted to fire Hill more than Bronco because it was not his "style" in garbage. This move does not hapen unless Bronco wants it to. Bronco hired coach Hill, Bronco promoted Coach Hill. Bronco runs the program. End of discussion.



As to coach Anae, as I recall, he was hired to be the OC before BYU named a head coach. Bronco did not hire Coach Anae, someone in the AD did, which I still think was a mistake. Not the hiring of Anae, but not letting the head coach choose his own coordinator. I think Coach Anae's main weakness is game calling. Sorry, but 53 passes for a true freshman and over 100 in 2 weeks is not putting a team in position to win. He has shown an inability to stay committed to the run for 6 years now. He just can't do it.




Can you tell me what the scores were at half time the last two weeks? I'll refresh your memory....24-3 in both weeks. We wouldn't have thrown 100 passes if BYU weren't down by 3 touchdowns at half. IMO the defense is retarding the growth of this young offense becuase it is letting us get down early and taking us out of running our offense the way we want to. Anae doesn't want a true freshman throwing 50 times a game, Max Hall never even did that. The fact is, when you get down by 3 touchdowns, you have to try to throw yourself back into the game which is a no win situation when you have a true freshman at QB.


Down by 3 scores at half time there is still plenty of time to come back even if you run the ball. You should get 5 or 6 possessions in the 2nd half. The defense held Nevada and USU to one score each in the second half. If the running game works it shouldn't be abandoned that early. However, we weren't setting the world on fire with the run game in either of those games. Going back to 08 and the Utah game we were and Unga was unstoppable.
L
Lawboy
And if we stay committed to the run early, we do not get down 3 TDs. Look at our first drive and why it worked, then look at the changes. Drive 1 v. USU was like a throwback BYU offense--passes to the flat, counter runs. We abandoned hte run after drive 2. Seriously, it was crazy. And in the NFL, even when down 3 scores at half--you do not abandon the run.
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:


How many people has Bronco fired in 6 years? Is this the first?



Ultimately, I think it was Holmoe's decision. He may have made Bronco choose between Hill and Anae. Anae's days are numbered though at this point.


This was Bronco's first firing. I'm too lazy right now to look up the source, but I read it last night, I believe on sltrib.com.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Gunk wrote:


How many people has Bronco fired in 6 years? Is this the first?



Ultimately, I think it was Holmoe's decision. He may have made Bronco choose between Hill and Anae. Anae's days are numbered though at this point.


This was Bronco's first firing. I'm too lazy right now to look up the source, but I read it last night, I believe on sltrib.com.


Yeah, why would you fire someone from a staff that wins 11 games?
G
Guest
Schmoe wrote:
Mars wrote:


How many people has Bronco fired in 6 years? Is this the first?



Ultimately, I think it was Holmoe's decision. He may have made Bronco choose between Hill and Anae. Anae's days are numbered though at this point.


This was Bronco's first firing. I'm too lazy right now to look up the source, but I read it last night, I believe on sltrib.com.


Yeah, why would you fire someone from a staff that wins 11 games?


Good point.
M
Mars


Looks like I was wrong about Holmoe's level of involvement. Good on Bronco! And here I thought the man was getting soft.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.