Archived Topic

What do you think? Should Bronco take over defense?

by taekwondave · 10/2/2010

Advertisement
T
taekwondave
Do you think Bronco should take over the defense again? I for one kind of wish he would. I think he's good at that. It seems like that would be a lot more helpful to the team than strolling the sidelines wondering who he hired and why. Maybe that would put some more fire in his belly and some more words in his mouth. It seems like when a head coach is neither the offensive, nor the defensive coordinator, he doesn't do a whole lot of coaching because he wants to trust his hired hands to do their jobs and he doesn't want to insult them by taking away the reigns mid-game and doing it all his way, but this year I think shows that the teams biggest need is on defense. If our defense could get fired up and force some three and outs then our offense would get on the field more and that would translate into points and we'd win more football games.



What do you guys think? Should Bronco take back over the defense again?
S
SpiffCoug
No. We have bigger problems on offense. He should focus there.
B
Brayden Green
kitic77 wrote:
No. We have bigger problems on offense. He should focus there.




That is the real issue, Bronco coaching over Hill is an upgrade, but who is going to babysit the offense? You can't leave the house in the hands of a pyromaniac sitter.
J
jonnylingo
Even if he did take over the defense who is he going to coach. Our only experiened talented players are dropping like flies.



I think he should focus on offense.



Laslty, why were we not blitzing against borel? Ou and sdsu did it and it completely stymied him.



I am just at a loss for words, disbelief that we are as bad as we are.



We need some good news. Any news on rich or pendleton yet??



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
jonnylingo wrote:
Even if he did take over the defense who is he going to coach. Our only experiened talented players are dropping like flies.



I think he should focus on offense.



Laslty, why were we not blitzing against borel? Ou and sdsu did it and it completely stymied him.



I am just at a loss for words, disbelief that we are as bad as we are.



We need some good news. Any news on rich or pendleton yet??



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Sounds like Rich is fine. Stinger. Pendelton sprained his knee, have no idea how long he'll be out.



I'm sure with Hill stepping down, that Bronco takes over the D. I mean, who else can do that job?
Advertisement
T
taekwondave
It's funny, when I wrote this, I hadn't heard about Hill yet. I'm in a much better mood since I heard.
R
Raiderboy
I think after reading Dick Harmon's article in the upper right, that it sounds like it was a fantastic move. I don't see Bronco relinquishing control of the defense ever again, unless some stud assistant without a bad attitude comes along. Bronco is a great defensive coordinator. I wished he would have demoted Hill and taken over before I even heard about this, but after reading that article it's clear that he had to go. I do respect Hill as a defensive back coach.



I don't think our offense is in as much disarray as most. I think it looked like we could really move the ball. Sure, dropped balls by our receivers is a problem. But we're on the way to fixing that, being settled on 1 QB now, and I talk about this a little bit further down my post. It's obviously a fundamental thing that they will work on in practice.



I don't think that the cupboard is bare at WR either. I still think Jacobson can be a good, quick, possession receiver with good speed. I think that Hoffman has a ton of potential. He looks big and athletic. And I think that the drops are a combination of the failed 2 quarterback system, causing receivers to not be as used to the velocity of our freshman QB's throws. And that Heaps needs to learn take something off of the ball sometimes, and Hoffman is a freshman too.



DiLuigi has potential, but the guy has got to work on his hands. He wasn't even close to catching that beautiful pass into the end zone that I think was in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. He had other drops as well. I also felt like DiLuigi was the main cause of 3 stalled drives in the first quarter. On a 3rd and 3, he looked like he had enough room to make it, but danced around and managed to get dropped for no gain. He has got to keep moving. He made a HUGE mistake on that 4th and 1. His fullback was heading towards a huge hole, and instead he bounced it outside right into 2 defenders. It was an awful run, should have been an easy easy first down. DiLuigi has also had fumble problems this year and dating back 2 seasons. There was also a 2nd and 5 from our own 5 yard line where he dropped a pass and we wound up falling a yard short on the next play. 3 stalled drives, on Diluigi, in the first quarter or so. We need to start seeing more Quezada until DiLuigi can eliminate these huge mistakes.



I think BYU's offense will be putting up a solid 24 points a game by season's end.
C
CougarClaw
I'm worried Bronco will burn himself out. This is his most stressful year and he just tripled his workload.
G
Gunk
CougarClaw wrote:
I'm worried Bronco will burn himself out. This is his most stressful year and he just tripled his workload.


Next season will be his most stressful. We'll have a big light on us next season when we go independent. Bronco is playing it right.



Right now, after a loss to USU expectations are so low it's the perfect time to clean the vessel within. Had Bronco kept Hill around (we'll see what happens to Anae when the season ends) and the team continued to perform as poorly as it has been, Bronco's job would have been in question. Bronco and Holmoe obviously thought under the current circumstance unless something changed, the team wouldn't be able to perform better this season let alone next.



Yes, it may be more work for Bronco, but sometimes taking the load on yourself is less stressful. Rather than have to worry about politics and being caught in the middle of a complaining coach and complaining players, Bronco has the reins.



Other than the Oklahoma game and the shut outs we had 08, I've never been particularly impressed with the defense.
S
SpiffCoug
Gunk wrote:
Other than the Oklahoma game and the shut outs we had 08, I've never been particularly impressed with the defense.

I love these kinds of quotes. "Other than the games where we were totally dominant, we haven't been very good."



Here, let me try: other than his completions, and great drive against FSU, Heaps has been an awful QB.



I'm just kidding to a point Gunk. The fact that Hill had such great games like the back-to+ack shutouts and OU, show that he could get it done. And the fact that he's struggling so much now, might be a reason to get rid of him. I fear the defense had tuned him out.



I think Bronco is close to completely losing the team, so he had to make a change.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
Gunk
kitic77 wrote:
Other than the Oklahoma game and the shut outs we had 08, I've never been particularly impressed with the defense.

I love these kinds of quotes. "Other than the games where we were totally dominant, we haven't been very good."



Here, let me try: other than his completions, and great drive against FSU, Heaps has been an awful QB.



I'm just kidding to a point Gunk. The fact that Hill had such great games like the back-to+ack shutouts and OU, show that he could get it done. And the fact that he's struggling so much now, might be a reason to get rid of him. I fear the defense had tuned him out.



I think Bronco is close to completely losing the team, so he had to make a change.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


There a difference between being impressed and being good. Never said the defense wasn't good other than two games. You're putting words in my...words? :skeptic: I'm not saying the defense sucked except for 4 games over the last 3 years.



I'm saying, the number of times the defense has impressed me has been few. It's certainly easier to focus more on the offense, but when was the last time you actually got excited that the defense was taking the field?
M
Mars
taekwondave wrote:
Do you think Bronco should take over the defense again? I for one kind of wish he would. I think he's good at that... What do you guys think? Should Bronco take back over the defense again?

Good call Dave.
L
Lawboy
I think Bronco needs more hands on in game planning, whether he runs things or not. For 1, he is a very good coach. Second, when he is involved, he gets more intense, which we all want to see. And 3, his players on D respect him and love playing for him. The O needs a similar shot and for Bronco to push them--especially in position meetings. Bronco needs to micromanage the rest of this season to force improvement.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.